HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112532
05/02/09 02:54 AM
05/02/09 02:54 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i did a search of "sinful nature" as used by ellen white and it seems to me she used it to refer to our weakened nature. if anyone can see how she used it differently please point it out.

In most instances in Steps to Christ, she uses "nature" in reference to our unChristlikeness, as opposed to merely our weaknesses. And that makes sense, since the hindrance to being with Jesus is not our weakness, but our evil.

i have just started looking for all references to "sinful nature", "fallen nature", etc., to see if she has different uses for each, and how they would relate to bible terms, so if you could help me out here.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112535
05/02/09 09:34 AM
05/02/09 09:34 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
See mine.

I had noticed it, thinking it was quite nice, especially the last part. I hadn't seen this before your quoting it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112536
05/02/09 09:45 AM
05/02/09 09:45 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
So how are you reading those statements?

They seem pretty straightforward. She says we have a battle to fight against sin and our sinful nature. If "sinful nature" simply meant "weakened nature" in the sense of fatigue, I don't see how what she said would make sense.

Quote:
I found it interesting that the "sinful flesh" is used only once which makes it difficult to form a definition.

You mean once in Romans 8:3? Well, Ellen White endorsed Prescott's sermon "The Word Became Flesh," (as "truth separated from error") and Prescott, in that sermon, used the phrase a couple of dozen times, so looking at that sermon may help in this regard.

Quote:
When [God] gave Jesus to our world, He included all heaven in that one gift. He did not leave us to retain our defects and deformities of character, or to serve Him as best we could in the corruption of our sinful nature.(To Be Like Jesus 327)

You just requoted this, with part of it in red (the red part being why I included the quote, so it would seem you're agreeing with me.) Please provide some sort of comment. It seems clear to me that this could not possible have the meaning "weakened nature."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112537
05/02/09 09:48 AM
05/02/09 09:48 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I understand completely your point and am not trying to minimize it but.....

I think we could agree that we can get stuck in whatever position-the daily, for example-and condemn the other side for bringing in "new theology" smile because they dont believe just like we do.

I haven't said a word about the "other side" in regards to "New Theology." My primary bone of contention on this thread has been the ignoring of history in the view that Christ did not take our sinful nature.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112546
05/02/09 06:28 PM
05/02/09 06:28 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

I think we could agree that we can get stuck in whatever position-the daily, for example-and condemn the other side for bringing in "new theology" smile because they dont believe just like we do.

I haven't said a word about the "other side" in regards to "New Theology." My primary bone of contention on this thread has been the ignoring of history in the view that Christ did not take our sinful nature.

i was responding to arnolds post and just left in all the rest for context.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112548
05/02/09 06:55 PM
05/02/09 06:55 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:

Hi TQ: Thank you for bringing up this point, as it will allow an opportunity to clarify any misconceptions and set the record straight. So this is less directed at you but more for the larger group. Then I'm running out of the door late. . . again.

Your statement unfortunately implies a condemnation of “they,” or individuals, as opposed to it, a theological system. I shudder to think anyone on this forum would stoop so low! Indeed, Adventists in the past have vehemently opposed Catholicism's joining of church and state, yet have always treated its individual worshipers graciously, compassionately.

Pertaining to us here, and regardless of one's side, each one of us has a peculiar perspective to offer this HOC thread, making for a far more interesting whole. Don't you think?

Some of us may appreciate a gathering process similar to trial-based discovery. And like the prosecuting barrister who discreetly “unpeeled the onion” before a convinced jury, some of us enjoy obtaining information, like one might at an American deposition, for example, where you can lockdown someone's testimony for litigational reasons.

In my short time here, I sense there is one side in this discussion asking most of the questions while answering very few. Question. What debating theologian could fathom having an analytical argument on Christology without being 100% certain of their opponent's position!?

In collecting information for both sides, our metaphorical "discovery" seeks to gather pertinent evidence or testimony in order to encourage informed conclusions in the courtroom of discussion.

So what you are witnessing in this painstaking endeavor is not a condemnatory spirit. What you are observing is an honest attempt to unpeel the onion for argument's sake.

Condemning a precious child of God for believing differently than I? No, never! Yet do we each approach this often-uneasy topic with a preferred style and methodology?

In the end, I have little doubt each of us here is seeking only one thing: to discover the Truth. . . and grow to be like Jesus.

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112549
05/02/09 07:19 PM
05/02/09 07:19 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: William
Quote:

Hi TQ: Thank you for bringing up this point, as it will allow an opportunity to clarify any misconceptions and set the record straight. So this is less directed at you but more for the larger group. Then I'm running out of the door late. . . again.

So what you are witnessing in this painstaking endeavor is not a condemnatory spirit. What you are observing is an honest attempt to unpeel the onion for argument's sake.

i was making a general observation of what i have seen in several forums, some much more "condemning" than others.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112553
05/02/09 11:26 PM
05/02/09 11:26 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

i was responding to arnolds post and just left in all the rest for context.

as well as making a generalization based on what ive seen on these forums, some worse than others.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112572
05/04/09 04:25 AM
05/04/09 04:25 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
i think we could agree that we can get stuck in whatever position-the daily, for example-and condemn the other side for bringing in "new theology" smile because they dont believe just like we do.

Right. There is no excuse in thinking that all our expositions of scripture are without error.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112583
05/04/09 07:24 PM
05/04/09 07:24 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Aren't we called upon to reach the sinlessness of Adam before his fall? Why is it so odious to think the Jesus Himself had some unfallen characteristics?

No. But only because Adam possessed a sinless nature. We don't. Alongside Mrs. White's above comment (M224), instructive as it is, the Bible also inherently presupposes we can reach the sinlessness of Christ after He took man's sinful flesh.

Quote:
Every one who by faith obeys God's commandments, will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {ST, July 23, 1902 par. 14}

The promise goes back to the sinlessness of unfallen Adam. We can be converted to the point where we have some of the qualities of prefall man. And if that's a condition we can reach, I think it reasonable to say that Jesus also lived in that condition. Do you agree?

For me, it's "odious to think" we still aren't living like the perfect Jesus, "by faith obey[ing] God’s commandments."

Indeed, it is odious to think it, and even more odious to experience it.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!