HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,885 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113587
05/25/09 05:18 AM
05/25/09 05:18 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Well, I missed the start of this..., but thanks for replying, Rosangela.

Yes, Christ wasn't really under the salvivic covenant of Abraham, since he is Saviour, but since he is the Son of man, he did live under it's terms, since he was born of a woman, born under the law.

Christ's merits are the work of God, but woven in human equipment - character: Jesus had to perform a righteous redemption of this world, with its salvation as the reward for him on completion. That's a contract with his Father, since before our Genesis history. Yes, no scope for falling to temptation, but even that performance used all the gifts of God to us, didn't it?

No renewal of the mind...: true, conceived and born filled with the Holy Spirit, but consider Lk 9:23, which says that following Christ's example involves denying self before taking up the cross of faith in sanctification. Our jusitification is modelled on Christ's daily and calvary death to self and sin, we being renewed after sinning, he learning righteousness without sinning.

Remember what righteousness by faith is, as stated in the Palmdale Conference consensus statement of 1976? "...The experience of justification", that is receiving the mind of Christ (J) and also his life character (S) - one step at a time! Christ operated outside the full support of grace for sinners but also inside its world, else we have no hope of obtaining the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ, that is the life of his gospel (2 Thes 2:14). If forged outside of our existence and experience of grace, Christ's gospel righteousness is totally useless to us, failing to meet basic scientific requirements - trial and error under same conditions.

I hope you agree!

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Colin] #113592
05/25/09 05:57 AM
05/25/09 05:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If we don't sin, does that mean our mind does not need to be renewed by the Holy Spirit?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113596
05/25/09 02:13 PM
05/25/09 02:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Not sinning is not the goal - being like Jesus is! Not sinning is being an unprofitable servant (according to the parables of Jesus). Salvation envision born again believers being like Jesus, growing daily in grace and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. This aspect of salvation has nothing to do with not sinning. Not sinning and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit are not opposites - they are totally unrelated, as unrelated as Jesus and Satan.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113689
05/27/09 12:14 PM
05/27/09 12:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I take it you don't think the following apply to Christ's experience:
a) Grace
b) Having the law written in the heart.

The core of the new covenant is saving grace and heart renewal, with the law written in it. I don't think these apply to Christ.

Quote:
I'm guessing you either don't think Christ overcame by faith, as we do (instead He overcame as unfallen Adam could have), or you don't see any difference in overcoming by faith for unfallen Adam and ourselves.

Of course Christ overcame by faith. What exactly is the difference you see between unfallen Adam and us in this respect?

Quote:
In short, you seem to see Christ's experience as very different from ours. The only similarities would be that Christ had a physical body somewhat like ours (in that it could become tired, for example) and He could be tempted from some external source, such as Satan or an agent of his (like Adam, before his fall).

What I believe is that Christ, differently from us, couldn't be tempted by the evil of His own heart.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113691
05/27/09 12:37 PM
05/27/09 12:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
An interesting passage I came upon about atonement for sins of ignorance:

The minds of all who embrace this message are directed to the Most Holy place where Jesus stands before the ark, making his final intercession for all those for whom mercy still lingers, and for those who have ignorantly broken the law of God. This atonement is made for the righteous dead as well as for the righteous living. Jesus makes an atonement for those who died, not receiving the light upon God's commandments, who sinned ignorantly.' Spiritual Gifts. Volume 1, p. 162.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Colin] #113692
05/27/09 12:59 PM
05/27/09 12:59 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Yes, Christ wasn't really under the salvivic covenant of Abraham, since he is Saviour, but since he is the Son of man, he did live under it's terms, since he was born of a woman, born under the law.

Colin, as I see it, Christ is Saviour as both God and man. And Adam was also born under the law, but the pre-fall covenant wasn't a covenant of grace.

Quote:
Christ's merits are the work of God, but woven in human equipment - character: Jesus had to perform a righteous redemption of this world, with its salvation as the reward for him on completion. That's a contract with his Father, since before our Genesis history. Yes, no scope for falling to temptation, but even that performance used all the gifts of God to us, didn't it?

Christ had to pass the test Adam failed to pass in order to obtain eternal life - overcoming Satan. If Adam had done that, he would have obtained eternal life for himself and his posterity. If not, he would have died. The same is true about Christ. So, the covenant is the same for both. In order to overcome Satan, Adam had to be a partaker of the divine nature. The same is true about Christ. What is the difference, in terms of covenant, you see between Adam and Christ?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113694
05/27/09 01:15 PM
05/27/09 01:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I take it you don't think the following apply to Christ's experience:
a) Grace

R:The core of the new covenant is saving grace and heart renewal, with the law written in it. I don't think these apply to Christ.

Ok, so you agreed with my characterization of your thought.

Quote:
T:I'm guessing you either don't think Christ overcame by faith, as we do (instead He overcame as unfallen Adam could have), or you don't see any difference in overcoming by faith for unfallen Adam and ourselves.

R:Of course Christ overcame by faith. What exactly is the difference you see between unfallen Adam and us in this respect?

Ok, so you agreed again with my characterization of your thought. There are many differences regarding Adam and us in this respect. To mention just two, heart renewal and grace.

Quote:
T:In short, you seem to see Christ's experience as very different from ours. The only similarities would be that Christ had a physical body somewhat like ours (in that it could become tired, for example) and He could be tempted from some external source, such as Satan or an agent of his (like Adam, before his fall).

R:What I believe is that Christ, differently from us, couldn't be tempted by the evil of His own heart.

Do you disagree in any way with my characterization of your thought? If you agree, you can just say so. If you disagree, please point out some are of disagreement. Do you believe Christ could be tempted in any way other than by an external source, such as Satan or an agent of his?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113695
05/27/09 02:14 PM
05/27/09 02:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the meaning of "under the law," something from Waggoner:

Quote:
1. Concerning the meaning of the term, “under the law,” you say that you have shown that “it does not always mean under the condemnation of the law, but rather under the authority of the law, or under obligation to keep the law.” I have carefully reread all previous references to it, and while I find several assertions to that effect, I find not one item of proof.

To be sure you quote from Greenfield, but I don’t consider his assertion as of any more value than that of any other man. I cannot take the space here to quote all the occurrences of the term, “under the law,” and show its meaning; but I wish to make this point: In Romans 6:14, 15, and Galatians 5:18, the expression occurs, and there cannot be the slightest doubt but that it means “condemned by the law.” You would not dare give it the meaning, “subject to the law,” in those places. There can be no controversy concerning its use in those texts.

Now it is a fixed principle in biblical interpretation that controverted texts must be settled by appeal to texts which are uncontroverted. Moreover, consistency requires that any term should have the same meaning wherever it occurs in the Bible, unless the context shows beyond question that it must have a different meaning.

Now there is no place in the Bible where it does not make good sense to interpret “under the law” as “condemned by the law.” But in the texts which I have just referred to, it cannot possibly mean “subject to the law.” If the limits of this review would warrant it, I would show by positive evidence from Scripture, and not by quotations from commentaries; that “under the law” invariably means “condemned by the law,” and that it cannot by any possibility mean anything else. Of course I except the two places, 1 Corinthians 9:21 and Romans 3:19, where it is not found in the original.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113697
05/27/09 04:42 PM
05/27/09 04:42 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Regarding the meaning of "under the law," something from Ellen White:

Christ acknowledged Himself subject to the law. If this were not so, He could not be our Saviour, and take away our sin. {12MR 233.4}

In coming to the world in human form, in becoming subject to the law, in revealing to men that He bore their sickness, their sorrow, their guilt, Christ did not become a sinner. He was pure and uncontaminated by any disease. Not one stain of sin was found upon Him. {TMK 67.5}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113698
05/27/09 04:48 PM
05/27/09 04:48 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
T:I take it you don't think the following apply to Christ's experience:
a) Grace

R:The core of the new covenant is saving grace and heart renewal, with the law written in it. I don't think these apply to Christ.

T: Ok, so you agreed with my characterization of your thought.

Yes, and what is your thought? That Christ needed his heart to be renewed and the law to be written in it, like us? Or that He was born with a holy heart and with the law written in it, like Adam?

Quote:
T:In short, you seem to see Christ's experience as very different from ours. The only similarities would be that Christ had a physical body somewhat like ours (in that it could become tired, for example) and He could be tempted from some external source, such as Satan or an agent of his (like Adam, before his fall).

R:What I believe is that Christ, differently from us, couldn't be tempted by the evil of His own heart.

T: Do you disagree in any way with my characterization of your thought? If you agree, you can just say so. If you disagree, please point out some are of disagreement. Do you believe Christ could be tempted in any way other than by an external source, such as Satan or an agent of his?

I don't believe Christ could be tempted by any evil within himself. So, He could only be tempted by Satan or one of his agents.

Reply Quote
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!