HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 49 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112650
05/06/09 02:17 AM
05/06/09 02:17 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
...Christ was tempted on another set of things, which He could defeat simply by following His own inclinations

Had He followed His own inclinations, He would not have taken our sin upon Himself. He doesn't like sin. Becoming sin, being numbered with transgressors, was against His inclinations. He had to fight His inclinations in order to fulfill His mission.

In contrast, it is in perfect conformity to our inclinations to sin. We have to fight our inclinations in order to be holy as He is holy. Just like Him, our mission involves going against what comes naturally to us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112657
05/06/09 12:20 PM
05/06/09 12:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Had He followed His own inclinations, He would not have taken our sin upon Himself.

Of course He would have. That was the only way to save us, which was His inclination. Christ is agape, self-sacrificing love; it is His inclination to sacrifice Himself for others.

Quote:
He doesn't like sin. Becoming sin, being numbered with transgressors, was against His inclinations. He had to fight His inclinations in order to fulfill His mission.

Again, Christ is self-sacrificing love. I don't see how you're coming to this conclusion.

Quote:
In contrast, it is in perfect conformity to our inclinations to sin.

I agree that if is in conformity to our inclinations to sin. If Christ did not take our sinful nature, then His experience was as different from ours in this respect as possible. Far from being tempted in all points as we are, it's difficult to see how He would have been tempted in any point as we are.

Quote:
We have to fight our inclinations in order to be holy as He is holy. Just like Him, our mission involves going against what comes naturally to us.

I don't see this. If Christ is self-sacrificing love, then His inclination is to sacrifice Himself. He gave Himself for us. That's the character of God. I'm not seeing how, from your perspective, you would see any difficulty involved in this. What inclination would there be to fight against? His inclination would have been 100% aligned with His Father's. It would have been no harder for Christ to do right than God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112658
05/06/09 12:32 PM
05/06/09 12:32 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, two questions. The two points where I see that postlapsarians and prelapsarians differ are the following:

a.Christ was/was not tempted from within.
b.Christ had/did not have hereditary tendencies to sin (i.e. passed genetically).

I'm assuming you are on the prelapsarian side of these questions. Is this correct? That is, you believe Christ was not tempted from within, and you believe that Christ did not have hereditary tendencies to sin (i.e. passed genetically).

These two points above I believe are true of every postlapsarian and every prelapsarian. (i.e. Every postlasparian and prelapsarian disagree regarding these two points).

I don't know any postlapsarians that believe things you ascribe to postlapsarians. Not a one. Now you claim to know some, which may well be the case (quoting someone would be nice). Maybe LK is one. You seem to at least imply that. You seem to say that DP is not. (So even you personally know of postlapsarians who are not. I would expect you would accept my claim at face value that I don't know any, and I know quite a few postlapsarians.)

So the issues that you bring up are at best true of a very small subset of postlapsarians, and it is certainly out of line to make broad brushed statements regarding postlapsarians on the basis of a possible very small subset. It would be fine to discuss the issues you have in mind as issues, but this should be done without the misleading labels. (i.e. discussions of theology you see as aberrant that you've come across, as opposed to something which has to do with postlapsariaism as a whole).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112661
05/06/09 02:16 PM
05/06/09 02:16 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Welcome back to the 21st century. I've missed you so much. help

Arnold, as always you did a fine job. I appreciate very much your insights about this subject, as well as your sense of humor in discussing it.
I also appreciate Teresa’s inputs, as she sometimes points out key details.
And while I’m at it, I would like to also thank Tom and William for keeping us “sharpened.” smile

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112662
05/06/09 02:42 PM
05/06/09 02:42 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I agree that if is in conformity to our inclinations to sin. If Christ did not take our sinful nature, then His experience was as different from ours in this respect as possible. Far from being tempted in all points as we are, it's difficult to see how He would have been tempted in any point as we are.

Why is it in conformity to our inclinations to sin? Because by nature we are carnal.

"For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. ... For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. ... But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me" (Rom. 7:14-17).

"Jesus continued: 'That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.' By nature the heart is evil, and 'who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one.' Job 14:4. No human invention can find a remedy for the sinning soul. 'The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.'" {DA 172.1}

"Here was the Creator of the world, and the ones He came to bless rejected Him. How can we account for this insult to the Majesty of high heaven? Only on the ground that the heart is carnal. It is not in the natural heart to love the Christian graces." {3MR 82.2}

I disagree with the view that Christ was tempted with internal temptations which proceed from a carnal heart. This could only happen if He Himself possessed a carnal heart.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112663
05/06/09 04:02 PM
05/06/09 04:02 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Why is it in conformity to our inclinations to sin? Because by nature we are carnal.

The 1890 SDA's distinguished between "sinful" and "carnal" in terms of our nature. "Sinful nature" was used synonymously with "sinful flesh," and had to do with our genetic make up. "Carnal" had to do with actual participation in sin (i.e., committing sins). Another way this was spoken of was as cultivated or hereditary tendencies to sin. Christ was seen as having the latter, but not the former, whereas we, of course, have both.

I don't recall anyone referring to "carnal" as having anything to do with Christ, whereas "sinful" was commonly used (e.g. Christ came in "sinful flesh" or Christ took "our sinful nature).

Quote:
I disagree with the view that Christ was tempted with internal temptations which proceed from a carnal heart. This could only happen if He Himself possessed a carnal heart.

Not according to the 1890 SDA's. They felt that Christ, taking our sin, as well as our sinful nature, was able to be tempted as we are. A. T. Jones wrote about this in a lot of detail in the 1895 GCB sermons. Waggoner also writes about it, although not in as much detail as Jones.

I think this was written about after the 1890's as well (but not before about 1887/1888; at least, not to my knowledge).

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112682
05/06/09 09:14 PM
05/06/09 09:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
What are the characteristics of the carnal mind?

Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

"The duty of intelligent souls is to hold to the truth, to practice virtue. We are born with a disinclination to both. It is sad to find in one's own constitution an opposition to virtues that are commendable in the sight of God, as submission, charity, sweetness of spirit, and patience that will not be provoked." {TDG 34.3}

"These dear children received from Adam an inheritance of disobedience, of guilt and death." {13MR 14.1}

"Because of sin, his [Adam's] posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience." {13MR 18.1}

We are born with an inclination to disobey the law, or a disinclination to obey it, and, consequently, with a mind "not subject to the law of God" = carnal mind, according to the definition the Bible gives us.

Quote:
R: I disagree with the view that Christ was tempted with internal temptations which proceed from a carnal heart. This could only happen if He Himself possessed a carnal heart.
T: Not according to the 1890 SDA's. They felt that Christ, taking our sin, as well as our sinful nature, was able to be tempted as we are.

Jones says that Christ's mind shouldn't be dragged into it. How was Christ tempted by the inward temptations generated by the carnal mind?

"You are placing yourself in the way of temptation, and God will leave you to follow the carnal promptings of your own mind." {4MR 214.3}

"And the carnal heart urges on to temptation, and to the practical sanctioning of indulgences which end in sin." {18MR 295.2}

"Every Christian will be assailed by the allurements of the world, the clamors of the carnal nature, and the direct temptations of Satan." {5T 102.1}

Note: I consider "mind" to be a synonym of "heart," and consider both to be, in many cases, synonyms of "nature."

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112685
05/06/09 09:55 PM
05/06/09 09:55 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Jones says that Christ's mind shouldn't be dragged into it. How was Christ tempted by the inward temptations generated by the carnal mind?

He wasn't. He didn't have a carnal mind. As Jones said, Christ's mind shouldn't be dragged into it.

In the quotes above, your conflating sinful nature with carnal mind. These are two different things. If you're thinking of these as just one thing, that would be a problem. Christ did not have a carnal mind, but He did have sinful flesh.

All the SDA's were consistent in this language. No SDA wrote (by which I mean not Jones or Haskell or Prescott or Waggoner or Ellen White or Fifield or anyone else I know from the 19th century -- or any other century, for that matter) that Christ had a carnal mind, although they all wrote that He took our sinful nature, or had sinful flesh.

Another way of putting it is that Christ had the same hereditary tendencies (passed genetically) that we have, and could be tempted from within. However, Christ never gave into these temptations, so His mind was "the mind of Christ" and never corrupted, or carnal.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112691
05/06/09 11:20 PM
05/06/09 11:20 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Christ is agape, self-sacrificing love; it is His inclination to sacrifice Himself for others.
Again, Christ is self-sacrificing love.

It is our inclination to sacrifice others for ourselves. (See the fallen Adam and Eve for the first example of this.) Instead of self-sacrificing love, we are selfish. See the contrast between us and Jesus?

If Christ is self-sacrificing love, then His inclination is to sacrifice Himself. He gave Himself for us. That's the character of God. I'm not seeing how, from your perspective, you would see any difficulty involved in this. What inclination would there be to fight against? His inclination would have been 100% aligned with His Father's. It would have been no harder for Christ to do right than God.

Two questions: Was it right for God to send Jesus to be our sacrifice? Was it difficult for God to send Jesus to be our sacrifice?

My answer is Yes to both questions. Do you answer differently?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112695
05/07/09 12:57 AM
05/07/09 12:57 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It is our inclination to sacrifice others for ourselves. (See the fallen Adam and Eve for the first example of this.) Instead of self-sacrificing love, we are selfish. See the contrast between us and Jesus?

I don't understand why you keep asking this. I've never said Jesus wasn't like us. He is divine and sinless. I've said this many times. He took "our sinful nature" upon His sinless nature. The "our sinful nature" is where the similarity lies. That "our sinful nature" that He took is the same as the "our sinful nature" which we have.

Quote:
T:If Christ is self-sacrificing love, then His inclination is to sacrifice Himself. He gave Himself for us. That's the character of God. I'm not seeing how, from your perspective, you would see any difficulty involved in this. What inclination would there be to fight against? His inclination would have been 100% aligned with His Father's. It would have been no harder for Christ to do right than God.

A:Two questions: Was it right for God to send Jesus to be our sacrifice? Was it difficult for God to send Jesus to be our sacrifice?

My answer is Yes to both questions. Do you answer differently?

No, I don't answer differently, and this is exactly my point. Under your presuppositions, it should have been no more difficult for Jesus to do these things than God. That's what I said: "His inclination would have been 100% aligned with His Father's. It would have been no harder for Christ to do right than God."

This is correct, isn't it?

Reply Quote
Page 29 of 49 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!