HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 49 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112696
05/07/09 01:05 AM
05/07/09 01:05 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, please respond to post #112658.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112697
05/07/09 01:19 AM
05/07/09 01:19 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Welcome back to the 21st century. I've missed you so much. help

Arnold, as always you did a fine job. I appreciate very much your insights about this subject, as well as your sense of humor in discussing it.
I also appreciate Teresa’s inputs, as she sometimes points out key details.
And while I’m at it, I would like to also thank Tom and William for keeping us “sharpened.” smile

why thank you, maam! how kind of you! smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112700
05/07/09 01:52 AM
05/07/09 01:52 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
T: His inclination to sacrifice Himself for others.

A: It is our inclination to sacrifice others for ourselves.

I don't understand why you keep asking this. I've never said Jesus wasn't like us. He is divine and sinless.

Yeah, postlaps say that all the time. But that's not the difference I'm pointing out.

Look at our statements above. Are they both correct? If they are, were Christ's inclinations the same as ours?

Quote:
T:If Christ is self-sacrificing love, then His inclination is to sacrifice Himself. He gave Himself for us. That's the character of God. I'm not seeing how, from your perspective, you would see any difficulty involved in this. What inclination would there be to fight against? His inclination would have been 100% aligned with His Father's. It would have been no harder for Christ to do right than God.

A:Two questions: Was it right for God to send Jesus to be our sacrifice? Was it difficult for God to send Jesus to be our sacrifice?

My answer is Yes to both questions. Do you answer differently?

No, I don't answer differently, and this is exactly my point. Under your presuppositions, it should have been no more difficult for Jesus to do these things than God.

You said, "I'm not seeing how, from your perspective, you would see any difficulty involved in this." In light of this recent exchange, can you see that there is difficulty involved, even for a sinless being like God?

That's what I said: "His inclination would have been 100% aligned with His Father's. It would have been no harder for Christ to do right than God."

This is correct, isn't it?

Correct. But do you realize how difficult it was for God to implement the plan of salvation? There was to be a sundering of a relationship that had been unbroken from eternity past. This was no light matter for God. So also, this was no light matter for Jesus.

Do you think their difficulty, their sacrifice, is one whit less than what we are called upon to do? They gave up all, and we are called to give up all.

But what do we give up when we give up all? A sin-polluted heart to be cleansed and returned to us purified.

What did they give up when they gave up all? A lot more than what we are called to give up. And they risked more than we can imagine.

So to say that Christ's difficulty was no harder than God's is not limiting His difficulty in any way. In fact, to say that it was "only" as hard for Jesus as it was for God is to say that He endured the pinnacle of suffering. Yes, sin has caused God more suffering than anyone else, including poor, blind, naked us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112702
05/07/09 02:04 AM
05/07/09 02:04 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, please respond to post #112658.

I thought I did. But it turns out I did it on another computer, and forgot to hit Submit. I'll track it down.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112703
05/07/09 02:13 AM
05/07/09 02:13 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I'm assuming you are on the prelapsarian side of these questions. Is this correct? That is, you believe Christ was not tempted from within, and you believe that Christ did not have hereditary tendencies to sin (i.e. passed genetically).

Jesus was tempted from within. Temptation is a matter of the mind and heart, so it must necessarily happen within. It was that way for Jesus, for unfallen Adam, and for us.

However, we are tempted by our own unregenerate heart. Adam did not have his own unregenerate heart to tempt him; it was Satan's unregenerate heart that tempted him. Jesus did not have His own unregenerate heart; the temptation originated elsewhere.

Genetically passed tendencies were the lot of Jesus, as it is ours. (But since his human genetic material only came from a female, it is impossible for genetics to explain the basic mechanisms for how Jesus could be male. But we can ignore that detail and continue the discussion as if genetics could explain any of this. Did your century-old postlap authors ever give a genetic explanation for any of this? Anyway....)

But are genetic tendencies a moral issue? If not, then it can't be considered sinful, can it?

So, what does that make me? I don't know. But I have no need for a label.

I don't know any postlapsarians that believe things you ascribe to postlapsarians. Not a one. Now you claim to know some, which may well be the case (quoting someone would be nice). Maybe LK is one. You seem to at least imply that. You seem to say that DP is not. (So even you personally know of postlapsarians who are not. I would expect you would accept my claim at face value that I don't know any, and I know quite a few postlapsarians.)

Didn't I give a postlaps definition of sin? That was from a postlaps website. LK definitely believes it, since it is his site. I think DP believes it also. I think Thomas and Margaret Davis believe it also.

BTW, some of the postlap doctrines I mention were learned on a discussion group that forbids the dissemination of the discussions. So paraphrases are the best we can hope for.

So the issues that you bring up are at best true of a very small subset of postlapsarians, and it is certainly out of line to make broad brushed statements regarding postlapsarians on the basis of a possible very small subset. It would be fine to discuss the issues you have in mind as issues, but this should be done without the misleading labels. (i.e. discussions of theology you see as aberrant that you've come across, as opposed to something which has to do with postlapsariaism as a whole).

You may claim it's a small subset, but it is the vast majority of postlaps I have engaged in discussions. And most of them are quick to disagree with the teachings of prelaps (real or imagined) regardless of what those teachings are. And all of them claim to be faithful to the teachings of EGW, Jones, Waggoner, and Andreasen. But there's less than 100% agreement on some basic points, as evidenced by you and William on this board.

As you said about me, you can only judge me by what I write. I am similarly limited. I can't evaluate postlap doctrine based on postlaps I have not met. But some of your quotes lead me to believe that the universal postlap claim to fidelity to J&W is unfounded.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112704
05/07/09 02:17 AM
05/07/09 02:17 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Jones says that Christ's mind shouldn't be dragged into it. How was Christ tempted by the inward temptations generated by the carnal mind?

He wasn't. He didn't have a carnal mind. As Jones said, Christ's mind shouldn't be dragged into it.
However, Christ never gave into these temptations, so His mind was "the mind of Christ" and never corrupted, or carnal.

Here's one difference between His battles and ours:
Quote:
Constant war against the carnal mind must be maintained... {AH 330.2}

Jesus didn't have a carnal mind. We do, and we must war against it constantly.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112705
05/07/09 02:18 AM
05/07/09 02:18 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yeah, postlaps say that all the time. But that's not the difference I'm pointing out.

Look at our statements above. Are they both correct? If they are, were Christ's inclinations the same as ours?

Christ took our sinful nature upon His sinless nature. Christ's inclinations <> the inclinations of our sinful nature. Our inclinations = the inclinations of our sinful nature (before being born again). So of course His inclinations are different than ours (apart from being born again). Again, why wouldn't they be? Why are you bringing this up?

Quote:
You said, "I'm not seeing how, from your perspective, you would see any difficulty involved in this." In light of this recent exchange, can you see that there is difficulty involved, even for a sinless being like God?

No, not at all. The point you brought up originally had nothing to do with this. Take a look back at what you originally asked.

That it was difficult for God to sacrifice His Son was my point. This difficulty has nothing to do with being human, which is, again, my point.

Quote:
Correct. But do you realize how difficult it was for God to implement the plan of salvation?

I'm tempted to say "yes," but of course I don't. But I have some inkling, which is why I brought this up.

Quote:
There was to be a sundering of a relationship that had been unbroken from eternity past. This was no light matter for God. So also, this was no light matter for Jesus.

There's more to it than this. If this is all there was to it, it would have been a very easy decision for God. What's a moment of personal pain compared to the salvation of countless numbers of beings? It would be selfish for God to even consider not exchanging momentary personal pain for eternal salvation.

Quote:
So to say that Christ's difficulty was no harder than God's is not limiting His difficulty in any way.

This is getting to my point. If it was no more difficult for Christ to do right than for God, and God cannot be tempted, then Christ's difficulty has nothing to do with His being tempted. The idea that Christ took our sinful nature in order to be tempted as we are tempted makes no sense from this perspective.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112710
05/07/09 02:38 AM
05/07/09 02:38 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
There's more to it than this.

Surely you don't expect me to be comprehensive in a few paragraphs, do you?

The idea that Christ took our sinful nature in order to be tempted as we are tempted makes no sense from this perspective.

I gave you one perspective (omniscience) but you rejected it. So it's no surprise that it makes no sense to you. It can only start making sense if we are free from the shackles of having to defend tradition. Only when we are willing to believe (not just admit) that it is possible for our traditions to be wrong, even century-old traditions, can we be ready to learn new things. It is possible that there are truths J&W didn't think of. Knowledge shall increase, even after the 19th century.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112711
05/07/09 02:43 AM
05/07/09 02:43 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

No, not at all. The point you brought up originally had nothing to do with this. Take a look back at what you originally asked.

I said, "Had He followed His own inclinations, He would not have taken our sin upon Himself." And you disagreed with it.

I still don't believe that God can mix with sin, even become sin, as easily as we put on socks. Becoming sin for the Holy One went against the grain of His custom. His inclination was to be holy, not to be sin. I think you might agree with that. Yes?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112712
05/07/09 03:27 AM
05/07/09 03:27 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

Christ took our sinful nature upon His sinless nature. Christ's inclinations <> the inclinations of our sinful nature. Our inclinations = the inclinations of our sinful nature (before being born again). So of course His inclinations are different than ours (apart from being born again). Again, why wouldn't they be? Why are you bringing this up?

Because I want to point out that while we battle against our inclinations, they were not that same as Christ's inclinations. Apparently, you agree.

Didn't Jones say something like we battle the same thing that Jesus did?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 30 of 49 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!