HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 49 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112713
05/07/09 03:30 AM
05/07/09 03:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
God cannot be tempted

This looks like the sticky point.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean that when God does something, there is absolutely no desire in Him to do something else, no chance that He would have done something else?

For example, God sent His Son to die for our sin. Does that mean that God was not inclined at all to not do that?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112727
05/07/09 01:13 PM
05/07/09 01:13 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
We are born with inherent propensities of disobedience, therefore we are born with a carnal mind.
If Christ was also born with propensities of disobedience, His mind was also carnal.
Was He born with propensities of disobedience or not?

Quote:
R: How was Christ tempted by the inward temptations generated by the carnal mind?
T: He wasn't. He didn't have a carnal mind.

Since these constitute our strongest temptations, then this means, according to you, that Christ wasn’t tempted in all points as we are.

His [the Christian’s] strongest temptations will come from within; for he must battle against the inclinations of the natural heart. {BEcho, December 1, 1892 par. 4}

(I have already demonstrated that natural heart and carnal heart are one and the same thing.)

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #112733
05/07/09 02:24 PM
05/07/09 02:24 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you're defining "propensities of disobedience" as "a carnal mind," then Christ wasn't, since Christ didn't have a carnal mind. If you define it as "our sinful nature," then He was, because Christ was born with our sinful nature, which He took upon His sinless nature.

Quote:
Since these constitute our strongest temptations, then this means, according to you, that Christ wasn’t tempted in all points as we are.

I've pointed out the following many, many times.

Christ not only took our flesh, but bore our sins in that flesh. He did so His whole lifetime. In addition to pointing this out, I pointed out that it is significant. Both Jones and Waggoner discuss this. Jones goes into great detail regarding this in his 1895 GCB sermons.

The Scriptures are clear: Christ was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. Jones explains this to mean that Christ was tempted in all ways as we are tempted, yet did not sin. All postlapsarians have understood Heb. 4:15 in this way.

If we look at the context of Heb. 4:15, it brings out that Christ's doing so enables Him to comfort us. Ellen White makes the same point in DA 24, saying that Christ took our heredity in order to share in our sorrows and temptations. She quotes this same verse.

So we have the following logic:
a.Christ took our sinful nature.
b.He did so to share in our sorrows and temptations.

Now unless our sorrows and temptations are limited to things like being tired, the logic breaks down. His being tempted in all points as we are is linked to His taking our sinful nature. This is an important point to lay hold of.

If Christ's being tempted as we are tempted simply had to do with broad categories of temptation, which didn't involve His taking our sinful nature, it doesn't make sense to *link* His taking our sinful nature with being tempted in all points as we are.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112740
05/07/09 02:41 PM
05/07/09 02:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:There's more to it than this.

A:Surely you don't expect me to be comprehensive in a few paragraphs, do you?

I could expect you to mention the salient point.

Quote:
T:The idea that Christ took our sinful nature in order to be tempted as we are tempted makes no sense from this perspective.

A:I gave you one perspective (omniscience) but you rejected it.

This perspective, as I understood it, would portray God in a very negative light, so I rejected it. If the only reason, or primary reason, that God doesn't do something evil is because He sees that it would turn out badly, that, IMO, doesn't speak well at all of God.

Quote:
So it's no surprise that it makes no sense to you.

It's a surprise to me that this would make sense to you. Perhaps you could flesh it out a bit, because the only thing that makes sense to me is that I've not understood you. It's hard for me to understand why you would think omniscience would be an important factor.

Quote:
It can only start making sense if we are free from the shackles of having to defend tradition.

Well, this is a first. I haven't been accused of being traditional before.

Quote:
Only when we are willing to believe (not just admit) that it is possible for our traditions to be wrong, even century-old traditions, can we be ready to learn new things. It is possible that there are truths J&W didn't think of. Knowledge shall increase, even after the 19th century.

Of course they didn't think of everything, but isn't there a difference between not seeing something totally correct and having it completely wrong?

For example, Ellen White mentioned that it is a mistake to think that our doctrinal expositions must be without error. There are a number of non-traditional positions I take which I believe fall into this niche. However, we wouldn't say this could include something like the Sabbath being on Saturday, would we? You're not suggesting as a possibility that maybe Sunday really is the right day to worship on?

Saying that Jones and Waggoner had the human nature of Christ wrong raises many questions. I'll just mention two.

1.If Jones and Waggoner were wrong regarding Christ's having taken sinful flesh, this raises the question of why Ellen White endorsed their teachings of righteousness by faith the way she did. She would have had to have been ignorant of, or not care about, the connection between righteousness by faith and the correct understanding of this subject. This link appears to me to be a strong basis of your posts (i.e., you think postlaps have this subject wrong, therefore they have righteousness by faith wrong). So how would Ellen White get this wrong?

2.Even more to the point, how could Ellen White endorse Prescott's sermon which was explicitly about the fact that Christ had sinful flesh? She endorsed this sermon as "truth separated from error."

Another point to mention is that it is exceedingly odd to characterize Jones and Waggoner as traditional. Since God first sent the message He did through them, it has been consistently fought against, and continues to be fought against. You can't label something "tradition" which has never been accepted.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112742
05/07/09 02:54 PM
05/07/09 02:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I said, "Had He followed His own inclinations, He would not have taken our sin upon Himself." And you disagreed with it.

No, this came after. You're mixing up quotes. You would need to go back to what your originally said, which had something to do with it's being as difficult for Christ not do to something (like use His divine power) as it is for us to overcome our temptation.

Quote:
I still don't believe that God can mix with sin, even become sin, as easily as we put on socks. Becoming sin for the Holy One went against the grain of His custom. His inclination was to be holy, not to be sin. I think you might agree with that. Yes?

If the choice is between doing something distasteful and having to suffer through that for a very brief period of time, or doing that distasteful thing and saving perhaps millions of beings for all eternity, I'm not understanding how you would think this would be at all difficult for He who is agape.

Quote:
Because I want to point out that while we battle against our inclinations, they were not that same as Christ's inclinations. Apparently, you agree.

Christ's own nature was sinless and divine. Christ took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature. That sinful nature which He took is like our sinful nature.

When we are born again, it becomes our inclination to do God's will, just as it was for Christ. Yet we still have a sinful nature to fight against. So did Christ.

Quote:
Didn't Jones say something like we battle the same thing that Jesus did?

This is rather vague. Could you quote something please?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112743
05/07/09 03:02 PM
05/07/09 03:02 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:God cannot be tempted.

A.This looks like the sticky point.

What do you mean by that?

I mean that God could not be tempted to sin.

Quote:
Do you mean that when God does something, there is absolutely no desire in Him to do something else, no chance that He would have done something else?

For example, God sent His Son to die for our sin. Does that mean that God was not inclined at all to not do that?

No.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112745
05/07/09 03:27 PM
05/07/09 03:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I'm assuming you are on the prelapsarian side of these questions. Is this correct? That is, you believe Christ was not tempted from within, and you believe that Christ did not have hereditary tendencies to sin (i.e. passed genetically).

A:Jesus was tempted from within. Temptation is a matter of the mind and heart, so it must necessarily happen within. It was that way for Jesus, for unfallen Adam, and for us.

However, we are tempted by our own unregenerate heart. Adam did not have his own unregenerate heart to tempt him; it was Satan's unregenerate heart that tempted him. Jesus did not have His own unregenerate heart; the temptation originated elsewhere.

Genetically passed tendencies were the lot of Jesus, as it is ours. (But since his human genetic material only came from a female, it is impossible for genetics to explain the basic mechanisms for how Jesus could be male. But we can ignore that detail and continue the discussion as if genetics could explain any of this. Did your century-old postlap authors ever give a genetic explanation for any of this? Anyway....)

But are genetic tendencies a moral issue? If not, then it can't be considered sinful, can it?

So, what does that make me? I don't know. But I have no need for a label.

I'll try asking the questions another way. If I asked Rosangela these questions, she would unhesitatingly deny that Christ was tempted from within, or that Christ had hereditary tendencies to sin (genetically passed).

So do you disagree with Rosangela? Rosangela has written at length on these subjects, so you should be able to this question.

From Rosangela's comments regarding what you have written, it appears to me to be certain that *she* thinks you agree with her on these questions. What do *you* think? Is your answering my questions differently than she would represent an actually difference of opinion, or are you simply defining the words of my question to mean something different than what she understands them to mean? (She understands my questions the same way I do, btw. You might be understanding them differently, which is what I'm trying to get at).

By the way, thank you for addressing these questions. I wish I had asked them a long time ago.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112746
05/07/09 04:15 PM
05/07/09 04:15 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Didn't I give a postlaps definition of sin? That was from a postlaps website. LK definitely believes it, since it is his site. I think DP believes it also. I think Thomas and Margaret Davis believe it also.

BTW, some of the postlap doctrines I mention were learned on a discussion group that forbids the dissemination of the discussions. So paraphrases are the best we can hope for.

You should be able to defend your allegations by quotes. If you can't quote something, it doesn't need to be discussed. If it's something only a small group of people believe in some discussion group somewhere, it's not a general belief, and shouldn't be labeled as such. (i.e. "What I don't like about postlapsarians is they believe ...") If it is a general belief, OTOH, it shouldn't be any problem for you to quote that belief.

It's not fair to make broad brushing allegations publicly with no evidence.

Quote:
You may claim it's a small subset, but it is the vast majority of postlaps I have engaged in discussions.

I'm sure I know more postlapsarians than you do, and I can assure you these are not general views. How many people are you talking about?

Quote:
And most of them are quick to disagree with the teachings of prelaps (real or imagined) regardless of what those teachings are.

That's not been my experience. I'll disagree with prelaps on the subject of Christ's humanity, but not other things. Some of my best friends are prelaps. smile

The fellow whose overall theology is most like own is a prelap.

Quote:
And all of them claim to be faithful to the teachings of EGW, Jones, Waggoner, and Andreasen.

This would need to be limited to the subject of Christ's humanity.

Quote:
But there's less than 100% agreement on some basic points, as evidenced by you and William on this board.

As you said about me, you can only judge me by what I write. I am similarly limited. I can't evaluate postlap doctrine based on postlaps I have not met. But some of your quotes lead me to believe that the universal postlap claim to fidelity to J&W is unfounded.

Yes. For example, Waggoner's view on the Covenants is a good example of this.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112765
05/07/09 08:06 PM
05/07/09 08:06 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
[quote]
1.If Jones and Waggoner were wrong regarding Christ's having taken sinful flesh, this raises the question of why Ellen White endorsed their teachings of righteousness by faith the way she did. She would have had to have been ignorant of, or not care about, the connection between righteousness by faith and the correct understanding of this subject. This link appears to me to be a strong basis of your posts (i.e., you think postlaps have this subject wrong, therefore they have righteousness by faith wrong). So how would Ellen White get this wrong?

2.Even more to the point, how could Ellen White endorse Prescott's sermon which was explicitly about the fact that Christ had sinful flesh? She endorsed this sermon as "truth separated from error."

as has been brought up before ellen white endorsed both crozier, who had one view of the daily, and smith who had another view of the daily, not to mention believed Christ had a beginning. waggoner also stated that. so she can endorse a message without endorsing every point of that message.

for me Jesus became a human, just like im human. i dont need more. adam was human, tempted and fell, Jesus, while still God, became human was tempted and could have fallen, but didnt. i also know that He is mighty to deliver me from my sins without Him having to be tempted from within, however that might be understood.

for me that is not, i repeat not the lesson. the lesson i get from ellen white is that i need to be in much more prayer and study than i am to overcome. i need more of the word in my heart, to live by it. i need to i need to concentrate on how Jesus dealt with objectionable people, how He loved those Who were out to get Him.

i need to hear more sermons on how what He suffered from us and how He responded.

i am not a prelapse, im more of a "hybrid" like arnold, who perhaps could give a summary of how he understands this issue if he hasnt already.

i also already knew the statement about our positions being open to investigation and have no problem with that. i suggest that those who read a lot of others positions on issues believe everyone else does also.

i suggest that some come to assumptions of others that may not be legitimate.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112766
05/07/09 08:16 PM
05/07/09 08:16 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA

Now unless our sorrows and temptations are limited to things like being tired, the logic breaks down. His being tempted in all points as we are is linked to His taking our sinful nature. This is an important point to lay hold of.

when we are "tired", or exhausted as some might be in a less cushy nation, hungry, or starving as some in a less cushy nation might be, or whatever else, is our "resistance" to sin extremely lowered?

isnt that basically what happened to Jesus in those three temptations in the desert? and the garden of gethsamanee? who willing wants to go through any kind of suffering? dont we all want to relieve it any way possible, hence the possibility of giving into temptation to relieve our suffering, or the perceived possiblity of suffering, in the wrong way.

the reverse could be said also, the more cushy our life the less resistance to sin we could have without the daily or moment-by-moment prayer, communion, bible study, submission, to God.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Page 31 of 49 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!