HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113050
05/13/09 07:17 PM
05/13/09 07:17 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
When love takes precedence over God's commands, then it is based on nothing more than sentimentalism.

You point to the sermon on the mount --
here you admit that love MUST be based on God's Word, not upon the mere concept of "love".

Human beings have no true understanding of "love" unless it is subjected to God's commands.

Only then, by following God's commands can there be true love.

God is love; and infinite love will devise infinite laws based upon love. But when we push aside those laws, and try to define love by our own finite standards, we will miss the mark, just as Adam followed his own concept of love and plunged the world into darkness.

The human mind can easily turn Adam's choice into an ultruistic act of selfless love, giving up his own position of being right with God, to be with his wife.
But it was SIN. WRONG and caused death to become the lot of all his descendants.

Basically what I see in the replies, since you come right out and say "i'm mistaken" is that you believe love takes precedence over and above the commands of God.

No-- love can never take precedence over and above the commands of God. We will never understand love unless we subject it to God's Word.

Righteousness is far greater than simply an outward compliance to God's commandments.
Righteousness is state of being. It includes agape love, obedience to God's righteous law, gentleness, goodness, caring about the needs of others, and all the other atributes of godliness.

Righteousness is the opposite of sin.

Love can be righteous and it can be sinful.

Last edited by dedication; 05/13/09 07:22 PM.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113051
05/13/09 07:38 PM
05/13/09 07:38 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Righteousness as it is presented in the Bible is not really the same as world commonly understands the term. The failure to comprehend its meaning is perhaps the most responsible regarding some people's concept that "righteousness" is legalistic. This misunderstanding destroys one of the most important concepts of the Bible.

The Hebrew word for righteousness is tseh'-dek [Strong:6663]upright, just, straight, innocent, true, sincere.

It is best understood as the product of a relationship with God and reveals itself in our relationship with others and how we relate to life in general. Thus a righteous person is morally true and pure, dependant totally upon God not only for his righteousness, but also for guidance for direction in life, walking with God in humble obedience and faith, (Thy will be done not mine own will) and this is revealed in thoughts and actions, which of course includes agape love for others.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113052
05/13/09 09:17 PM
05/13/09 09:17 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
It would take a very humble man to selflessly offer help to someone who openly dispises him.

i agree very much!! a very humble and Christlike person. i know its a struggle for me. cant wait till i feel for others as Christ has felt for us.

Quote:
Adam's love was a lack of trust and reliance upon God.
i think what bothers me most about this statement and the conclusions it can come to is that if adam was wrong for loving eve and not wanting to be separated from her then that makes God also very wrong for loving us and not wanting to be separated from us.

i think where we all agree is that adam should have trusted God, that is where he failed. but he didnt fail because he loved eve and didnt want to be separated from her. that kind of reasoning would make God a "sinner" as i see it.

there is only one kind of love. anything else is a counterfeit, or selfishness, as arnold puts it. there is only the true and the counterfeit of the true.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113053
05/13/09 09:34 PM
05/13/09 09:34 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
dedication: Basically what I see in the replies, since you come right out and say "i'm mistaken" is that you believe love takes precedence over and above the commands of God.

Originally Posted By: västergötland
The error you do that leads to your contrasting love and the law is that you confuse love with sentimentalism. Read the sermon on the mount and you will see that what the bible calls love is far different. It must be extended to your enemies and those who persecute you. It is something you should be able to give the man who sets fire to the pile of wood you are being burned upon. It is something Jesus gave to the men who had whipped his back into shreads and then nailed him to a cross. There is no feeling that would allow for that. The divine law that makes perfection shares the food you have equally between family and the stranger who is in need. It picks up the man beaten half to death and carries him to safety, who if he had been healthy would cross the street to avoid meeting you on the same pavement, or if that could not be avoided would spit you in the face.

Righteousness, as Jesus disciples are likely to have understood the word, means being acquitted before God.

i dont see anything like that in this post. i see him pointing out the difference between claiming to "love" and actually loving as God did/does and told us to.

"love your enemies" is just as much a command as "thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor". they are both love. i see no difference between love as God would have us practice it and the law.

they both say, "stop hurting your fellowman and do good to him".

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113054
05/13/09 09:40 PM
05/13/09 09:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I see no difference between love as God would have us practice it and the law.

Me neither.

Quote:
They both say, "Stop hurting your fellowman and do good to him".

Or, to put it another way, "Be like God." I agree with characterizing things this way, which is a reason I have difficulty with the ideas some have in regards to what God has done in the past or will do in the future.

Acts, in describing Jesus, says He went around "doing good." That's what God is like. He just does good. The problems come when good is eschewed for evil.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113055
05/13/09 09:45 PM
05/13/09 09:45 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The difficulty is this --

My question wasn't about "contrasting law and love"
That was a strawman erected by Vastergotland.

I have never contrasted love and law.

My question was what takes precedence- what comes FIRST, obedience to God's will or what appears to be the loving way.

Is love to be subjected to God's will and law, or does love supercede God's will and law.

By arguing against me you are both indicating that you have problems with my belief and statements that love must be in subjection to God's will and law in order to be righteous love, it's on this premise I've addressed the posts.

Last edited by dedication; 05/13/09 10:07 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113056
05/13/09 09:55 PM
05/13/09 09:55 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Love is NOT the opposite of sin.
Righteousness, which includes righteous love, is the opposite of sin.

That is part of the lesson.

Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Grace takes us from sin to righteousness.

Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Romans 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

1 Cor. 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not;

2 Cor. 5:21 For he hath made him (Jesus) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Last edited by dedication; 05/13/09 10:00 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113057
05/13/09 10:04 PM
05/13/09 10:04 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The concept that love can operate on its own as the ultimate standard is the trump card of New Age beliefs!

That's why I can't understand why people are taking opposition to my statements that love must be in subjection to God's will and law in order for it to be righteous love. Love on it's own is NOT the ultimate standard.

To say love is the opposite of sin, is removing the standard that defines sin and placing that which IF UNDER THE DIRECTION of God's law is one of the highest attributes of righteousness, on it's own, as if it is the standard in its own right.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113058
05/13/09 10:29 PM
05/13/09 10:29 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq

Quote:
Adam's love was a lack of trust and reliance upon God.
i think what bothers me most about this statement and the conclusions it can come to is that if adam was wrong for loving eve and not wanting to be separated from her then that makes God also very wrong for loving us and not wanting to be separated from us.

i think where we all agree is that adam should have trusted God, that is where he failed. but he didnt fail because he loved eve and didnt want to be separated from her. that kind of reasoning would make God a "sinner" as i see it.

there is only one kind of love. anything else is a counterfeit, or selfishness, as arnold puts it. there is only the true and the counterfeit of the true.

If you go back and read the whole concept it stated that AT the point where Adam let his love for Eve go against God's command, it became sin. His love at that point showed that he loved Eve more than he loved God.

The difference between Christ and Adam is huge.
There in the garden of Gethesemanie Christ prayer:
"If possible let this cup pass from Me, but NOT MY WILL BUT THINE BE DONE.

Do you see the difference?

Also there are other texts in the Bible like --
Luke 14:26 "If any come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

That is a "hard saying" of Jesus. What does He mean here? Are we to hate our family members? Of course not -- at least not in the sense we understand the word "hate". What it means is that we are not to let our love for anyone come between us and our God. We are to obey God rather than people.

I suppose a story best illustrates --

A young man was convicted to follow Christ all the way in baptism. His mother wept and begged him not to become one of those cultic Sabbath Keepers, it would "kill" her, to think her son had taken up this belief system. If he were to be baptized it would ruin there relationship with each other, she said.

The young man didn't know what to do. He loved his mother very much and didn't want to hurt her. The situation dragged on for some time, the young man feeling the Holy Spirit draw him into making a commitment, yet his mother pleading with him to drop this religious stuff.

Then one night he read Luke 14:26.
It was clear to him what he must do.
Follow Christ! He must not allow his love for his mother to stop him from following Christ. He was baptised.

Cruel? Some thought so.
But by following Christ he found the road to salvation, and as the years passed, his mother too came to the truth.

Adam let his love for Eve come between him and God.
That's what was wrong with his love.

Last edited by dedication; 05/13/09 10:33 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113059
05/13/09 10:48 PM
05/13/09 10:48 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
By arguing against me you are both indicating that you have problems with my belief and statements that love must be in subjection to God's will and law in order to be righteous love, it's on this premise I've addressed the posts.

somehow we seem to be talking past each other.

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!