HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113137
05/16/09 12:53 AM
05/16/09 12:53 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Grace itself is misstated, imho, as that which we don't deserve: undeserved favour. Is that all??! Isn't grace another book bigger than "favour" of whichever sort it is here rightly said to be?!!

Yes, much bigger. I have heard it defined as God's attitude toward us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113139
05/16/09 01:00 AM
05/16/09 01:00 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: dedication
Yes, we need to dwell upon the matchless love of God revealed through Christ our Savior, yet if we concentrate solely on one attribute to the neglect of the others, we may end up with a different god.

the messenger of the Lord seems to have thought differently:

I would have to agree with the messenger this time. wink

Dwelling on God's matchless love cannot neglect His other attributes, because it is composed of all His attributes. It's like saying that if we are too focused on eating a BLT sandwich, we might neglect eating the bacon (fake SDA bacon, of course), lettuce, and tomato! Take all of God's attributes, roll them up together, and you'll get love.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: asygo] #113140
05/16/09 01:26 AM
05/16/09 01:26 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: asygo

Did I say you were "just" cleaning the outside? Quote me.
Quote:
The "love" you speak of is generated by human effort, trying hard to keep the law of God as a set of rules. .... the one who looks at the law as a set of requirements is trying to clean the outside of the cup. Life is one big chore for such a one.

What I was trying to get across was that you were cleaning the outside of the cup, and from there working toward cleaning the inside. "If you keep My commandments, you will love Me."

No, I've never said, "if you keep my commandments, you will love Me."
First we come to Christ as we are. We accept Him as our Lord and Savior. We are baptised into His death, thus signifying that our old life is dead, and rise with Him into newness of life.
Love fulfils God's law. Love never throws out God's commands as a burden or yoke.

The Bible also says:
1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Yes, there are things we must CLEAN out of our lives. The Holy Spirit will help you do that.

Quote:
Though you believe in inner renewal, you are teaching that it comes from outward compliance. Your cart precedes the horse.

Obviously you guys all totally and completely miss the point.

Where in the world did I say all the things you are now putting in my mouth.

No --

My premise is this --
We must place the Word of God and His law as the standard or we will NEVER know what love, righteousness, etc. is all about.

If God's Word and His law isn't placed first, we are left with nothing more than "what we think is the loving thing to do."

Just like Adam --
Didn't he do the "loving thing" by eating the fruit?

God has not left us with just our feelings of "what the loving thing to do is" He gave us a map, His Word and His commandments.

That has nothing to do with gaining God's favor by our works etc. etc. etc. You are launching off into a totally different subject.

But when "love" is placed above God's commandments as having the power to determine what those commands should be -- a person is headed for big trouble.

When people THINK that all their "impulses" and "desires" are in perfect accord with God's commands and thus they don't need God's Word or commands anymore they are deceiving themselves.

True, a person in close fellowship with Christ, will delight to do His will, that is the only way keep God's commands. But love is still a principle, and God's Word sets the standard for that principle, not our inner reasoning.

All I'm saying is that God's Word and His commands MUST BE THE PRINCIPLE governing what love, righteousness etc is.

For example --

In real life:
A person has accepted Christ, yes, His heart and mind have been moved by the Holy Spirit and He wants to follow Christ. Then he is convicted he should keep the Sabbath. But to keep the Sabbath means losing his job.

Now he listens to the modern "love fulfils the law" therefore being loving is all that is needed.
He starts to think, God wants me to love my family. I love them by providing for them. It would not be the loving thing to do something that would cause me to lose my job. We'd lose our house, and ..... I know God is love, and He wants me to love, so I'll keep the Sabbath in the hours I'm not working, and I'm sure God will understand, that I have to provide for my family. He knows my heart. He knows I love Him! He knows I love my family....

Or he listens to a person who tells him, that God's commands are the guide. He is encouraged to "trust and obey" for that is the true way of love and happiness. In spite of his families protests he stops work on the Sabbath, loses his job, and endures some pretty tough times for a couple months. Tough financially and tough because of the condemnation heaped upon him by people who think he's too fanatical. But finally God rewards his faith, he finds work and happiness in the Lord.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113143
05/16/09 01:41 AM
05/16/09 01:41 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Yes, we need to dwell upon the matchless love of God revealed through Christ our Savior, yet if we concentrate solely on one attribute to the neglect of the others, we may end up with a different god.

Quote:
Let the mind dwell upon His love, upon the beauty, the perfection, of His character. Christ in His self-denial, Christ in His humiliation, Christ in His purity and holiness, Christ in His matchless love --this is the subject for the soul's contemplation. It is by loving Him, copying Him, depending wholly upon Him, that you are to be transformed into His likeness. {SC 70.2}

Seems the "messenger" is speaking of all His attributes, not just one....
1, "His love,
2. the beauty, the perfection, of His character.
3. Christ in His self-denial,
4. Christ in His humiliation,
5. Christ in His purity
6. and holiness,
7. Christ in His matchless love

GC 415 "The ark that enshrines the tables of the law is covered with the mercy-seat, before which Christ pleads his blood in the sinner's behalf. Thus is represented the union of justice and mercy in the plan of human redemption. This union infinite wisdom alone could devise, and infinite power accomplish; it is a union that fills all Heaven with wonder and adoration."

"Those who will empty their hearts of vanity and rubbish, through the grace of God may purify the chambers of the mind, and make it a storehouse of knowledge, purity, and truth. And it will be continually reaching beyond the narrow boundaries of worldly thought, into the vastness of the Infinite. The justice and mercy of God will be unfolded to the moral perceptions. The grievous character of sin, with its results, will be discerned. The character of God, His love manifested in giving His Son to die for the world, and the beauty of holiness, are exalted themes for contemplation. These will strengthen the intellect, and bring man into close communion with the Infinite One.--Review and Herald, June 21, 1877. {FE 49.2}

What are we to contemplate:
His love, yes,
Also the beauty of His holiness
His mercy
His justice
truth
purity

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: asygo] #113144
05/16/09 01:47 AM
05/16/09 01:47 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Dwelling on God's matchless love cannot neglect His other attributes, because it is composed of all His attributes.

Then why are there so many denominations, all teaching that God is love, but coming to so many different conclusions as to what is truth?

Again, you speak of God, Who is perfect, His love is perfect, and everything He does is based in His love. That is true enough.
I'm not worried about God's love, it's NOT His love that is in question.

It's the thought that OUR love somehow supercedes God's commands.

It's people who only focus on God' love, and not His justice and holiness who lose their way and find a different god.

Last edited by dedication; 05/16/09 01:49 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113145
05/16/09 02:14 AM
05/16/09 02:14 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA

Quote:
Let the mind dwell upon His love, upon the beauty, the perfection, of His character. Christ in His self-denial, Christ in His humiliation, Christ in His purity and holiness, Christ in His matchless love --this is the subject for the soul's contemplation. It is by loving Him, copying Him, depending wholly upon Him, that you are to be transformed into His likeness. {SC 70.2}

Seems the "messenger" is speaking of all His attributes, not just one....
1, "His love,
2. the beauty, the perfection, of His character.
3. Christ in His self-denial,
4. Christ in His humiliation,
5. Christ in His purity
6. and holiness,
7. Christ in His matchless love

GC 415 "The ark that enshrines the tables of the law is covered with the mercy-seat, before which Christ pleads his blood in the sinner's behalf. Thus is represented the union of justice and mercy in the plan of human redemption. This union infinite wisdom alone could devise, and infinite power accomplish; it is a union that fills all Heaven with wonder and adoration."

"Those who will empty their hearts of vanity and rubbish, through the grace of God may purify the chambers of the mind, and make it a storehouse of knowledge, purity, and truth. And it will be continually reaching beyond the narrow boundaries of worldly thought, into the vastness of the Infinite. The justice and mercy of God will be unfolded to the moral perceptions. The grievous character of sin, with its results, will be discerned. The character of God, His love manifested in giving His Son to die for the world, and the beauty of holiness, are exalted themes for contemplation. These will strengthen the intellect, and bring man into close communion with the Infinite One.--Review and Herald, June 21, 1877. {FE 49.2}

What are we to contemplate:
His love, yes,
Also the beauty of His holiness
His mercy
His justice
truth
purity

having read through these posts several times now i get the distinct impression that what we are "arguing" about is your preconceived notions of what is believed by some of us.

it seems that if anyone says "love" you hear self-centered, worldly love, new-age, new theology. i cant help how the enemy has counterfeited and led many astray. i cant let that stop me from studying Christ and "by beholding we become".

how can there possibly be any kind of discussion if one is not hearing, nor responding to what is said, but to what is going on in their mind?

i am at a complete loss as to how you have not picked up that we do not have limited sickly view of Godly love, which is under discussion, and our goal. nor do i understand where you have gotten the idea that any of us believe we have it. we are to study the life of Christ and as far as ive seen that pretty well covers every aspect you have mentioned.

and lest i be misunderstood yet again, i am in no way saying the rest of the bible should be neglected.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113147
05/16/09 02:33 AM
05/16/09 02:33 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA

Dwelling on God's matchless love cannot neglect His other attributes, because it is composed of all His attributes.

Then why are there so many denominations, all teaching that God is love, but coming to so many different conclusions as to what is truth?

there is much more to it than that. for one thing most churches teach an eternally burning hell for the lost. but we know why there are so many denominations. it is because each would only grow so far then stopped. then persecuted those who discovered more truth.

Quote:
Again, you speak of God, Who is perfect, His love is perfect, and everything He does is based in His love. That is true enough.
I'm not worried about God's love, it's NOT His love that is in question.

who on earth ever said that, or even hinted at it?

Quote:
It's people who only focus on God' love, and not His justice and holiness who lose their way and find a different god.

that would depend on what anyones definitions of "justice", "love" and we are talking of Gods love, and "holiness" are as to whether they are being neglected or not, or how they are even separate and not parts of each other.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113148
05/16/09 02:51 AM
05/16/09 02:51 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

I think tq is on the money in post #113145 - what we are "arguing" about is your preconceived notions of what is believed by some of us.

You say, "It's the thought that OUR love somehow supercedes God's commands." I've been discussing, and sometimes disagreeing, with the people on this thread for a while, and I can guarantee that you are the only one with that thought.

Colin said, "Thus the opposite of sin is agape." Tom echoed, "I think agape would be the opposite of sin." If I know these guys at all, they weren't talking about "OUR love" as superseding God's commands. Rather, they were talking about GOD'S love being the opposite of sin.

You said, "Love can never stand alone." You must be talking about human-defined love. True, that can never stand alone. But then, that cannot rightly be called love. Many might think it is love, but it is not.

When we speak of love, we are talking of God's love - God is love. That human abomination that contradicts God's commands is not what WE have in mind. It seems, however, that that's what you have in mind when you think of "love." It might be called love, but it is not.

Time is short. It is time we straighten out what love really means. It is time for us to leave behind our erroneous concepts of what love is, and really get to know Him who is love.

No God, no love.
Know God, know love.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: asygo] #113150
05/16/09 03:45 AM
05/16/09 03:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Because they don't know God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113152
05/16/09 03:57 AM
05/16/09 03:57 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

Because they don't know God.

I'm not so sure we can say that --
Some of those people are more "in love" with Christ then you'll hear and see in most Adventist Churches. It can put one to shame how easily they talk about God's goodness and bring it into their daily conversation in a radiant real life way. Yet, they their beliefs often diverge into areas I don't see as Biblical.

Reply Quote
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!