HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,495 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113198
05/16/09 10:47 PM
05/16/09 10:47 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I did say that even our BEST concept of love falls far short of God's love and is not a reliable guide, we still need a reliable "measuring rod" (as in God's Word and commandments) to check that we are on the path of righteousness.

We have such a reliable "measuring rod" in Jesus Christ, to check that we are on the path of righteousness.

Quote:
4He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

This mentions both the law and Jesus Christ. The Pharisees used the law as a "measuring rod," but got it all wrong. There's nothing wrong with the law, but without Christ, it will just make us into Pharisees. The true goal is to walk as He walked. Now, since Christ walked in perfect harmony to the law, in Christ we have the true picture of the "measuring rod."

Another way of seeing the importance of Christ is to remember that love is the fulfilling of the law. In Christ, we see the love of God poured out. By receiving Christ, that love can be shed about in our hearts, and by beholding Him, we can be transformed into the same image.

O.K. then you do agree that love cannot stand alone! That it does need a "measuring rod".

I agree that the law must be based in love. God's law and God's love must be united for His law is based in His love.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113209
05/16/09 11:43 PM
05/16/09 11:43 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
O.K. since everyone says I'm only making things up -- let's follow the thread here.

Quote:
My first post:
The opposite of sin is righteousness.
It is by GRACE that we leave sin behind and find righteousness. (followed by texts)
Second post:

Love can never stand alone --
It must be guided by RIGHTEOUSNESS.....
Love can be deceptive -- why?
Jer. 17:9 The heart is deceitful....
It MUST be based upon righteousness.

Next:
So what takes precedence, that is the question --
LOVE or God's Commands?

If we place love first -- we place our own emotional feelings above God's law.

If we place God's commands first we will love, for His law is based on love, but it is NOT based on our own feelings.

So it seems to me, it was obvious that I wasn't talking about God's love, but our love.
In all this discussion I was talking ABOUT OUR LOVE.

After all it's we who SIN,
so it's OUR SIN,
The opposite of OUR SIN, therefore can't be OUR LOVE.

I then point to the general understanding we meet all the time concerning a certain verse that was quoted. I guess some here took it personally that I was refering to them, but I was refering to THE GENERAL way that text is used against us who uphold God's commandments as binding.
Quote:
I wrote: The general feedback on the verse
"Love is the fulfilling of the law"
seems to be that if we only follow love, we automatically fulfil the law thus we don't have to worry about the law itself.

But what the text is really saying --
is
that love is the fulfilling of the law, that is love is doing or obeying God's law.

There were some reponses --
But the main one that caused me to agitate the issue was:

Quote:
Vastergotlund:
The error you do that leads to your contrasting love and the law is that you confuse love with sentimentalism.

I wasn't contrasted love and law, I was combining them.

Basically Vastergotlund assumed I was making the law stand alone without love -- putting it in opposition to love -- yet was I?
No, I was not.

True he then outlines loving in spite of being mistreated, but WHAT WAS MY ERROR?
If my above statements were in ERROR the only conclusion was that it must be error to combine law with love -- and I could not agree with that.

So what was my error?

When someone says you are in error -- it means they are disagreeing with you.

Yet, it seemed several agreed with Vastergutland --
So WHAT WAS MY ERROR?

Thus I continued to point out that love must be combined with God's law and His Word.

It's true that the statement was made that "I see no difference between love as God would have it and the law."

I could agree with that --
But still the concept that my former posts were considered "error" led to the impression that "seeing no difference between love and the law" meant one no longer needed the law.

So I wrote:
Quote:
I have never contrasted love and law.
My question was what takes precedence- what comes FIRST, obedience to God's will or what appears to be the loving way.
Is love to be subjected to God's will and law, or does love supercede God's will and law.

That should have been an easy question to answer.
It's very plain that I was refering to OUR LOVE. (and not "sickly love" either -- but OUR love)

But the question really wasn't answered.
Instead things went into a whole SWITCH of terms.
God is LOVE, LOVE is a person. Therefore LOVE is the standard.

Talk about a switcheroo....

God's love wasn't what I was addressing
It wasn't me that made the switcheroo...

I was talking about our love the whole time.

Vastergutland then weighs in, which to me was the typical answer I get on forums that want to get away from God's commandments.
Quote:
Vastergutland:
Paul speaks of the christian living led by the Spirit, with listing the fruits of the Spirit. These can be summed up in the great commandment, Love God and love everyone else, and those who live this way break not Gods laws.
....If you consider that God's commands are summed up in the great command on Love of God and all other men, asking on precedence is itself a straw man.

I've heard that type of reasoning so many times from people who believe love and the spirit take the place of God's ten commandments, that I could do nothing but see what I saw in the reply.

I was asked:
Quote:
What you seem to be proposing is that love does not always fulfill the law. Is that right?

My answer was somewhat incredulous that anyone would even think that our love was always fulfilling God's law.

Quote:
I wrote:
What we choose to do IS HUMAN choice, we are NOT divine.
People will THINK and feel they are doing the loving thing, when in actuality their "loving act" could be against God's commandments.
They think that since they are now Christians and have accepted Christ -- their "loving" impulses are now automatically fulfilling God's law.

From there things only got worse --
So i won't go there.

But it wasn't me that pulled a switcheroo --

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113211
05/16/09 11:57 PM
05/16/09 11:57 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
O.K. since everyone says I'm only making things up --

this post would be a good example of what we are talking about: 113171.

but if you dont see it, you dont see it.

there have been things about myself that were as plain as the sun in the sky to others but i couldnt for the life of me see it. it all comes as we grow in grace.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113213
05/17/09 12:12 AM
05/17/09 12:12 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq
you make the point in the pages following this post that "our love" cannot be the basis for what is right or wrong. i believe everyone here agrees with that.

can we also agree that no one was referring to "our love" but the concept of love presented in the bible?

Yet, that's what I was talking about the whole time.

OUR LOVE

Sin --
OUR SIN (not God's sin)
What's the opposite of sin.
It can't be OUR love no matter how noble.

To me the Word "agape" isn't automatically related only to God. It also means the more noble love in mankind. Christian love that puts self aside for the good of others.

I mentioned that it isn't God's love that's in question, it's our love.
Nor was I talking about "sickly love" I was talking about HUMAN LOVE even at it's best.

Adam's love was a lack of trust and reliance upon God.

Quote:
I have to disagree with this because it leads to scary conclusions for me. it is basically saying that "love" is wrong. adams love was not a lack of trust and reliance upon God. adam could have, in spite of his love for eve and not wanting to be separated from her, still trusted and obeyed God.

I tried to explain that earlier.
True, loving Eve was not wrong,
Not wanting to lose her, was not wrong.
BUT once that love caused him to choose her above God,
His love for her become IDOLATRY.

That's what IDOLATRY is -- loving something or someone more than God.
So yes, as soon as his mind was made up and he determined to disobey God in order to keep Eve, he sinned.
His love was good and righteous till then, it was NOT sin until that point was reached where he made up his mind to disobey God in order to keep Eve.
When he determined to place his love for Eve above his love for God, he broke the first commandment.

Quote:
the ultimate conclusion one would come to from that statement is that we should not love because it makes us do wrong.

No, the ultimate conclusion is that we must LOVE GOD supremely and follow Him in obedience and trust, and subject all our love to his will.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113219
05/17/09 01:51 AM
05/17/09 01:51 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I have no problem agreeing that God's love is perfect and the very opposite of sin -- but never OUR LOVE.

If you agree that OUR LOVE must always be in subjection to God's commands and word, then I have no problem.

And yes, love and God's law must be combined, one cannot stand without the other.

Last edited by dedication; 05/17/09 02:11 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113228
05/17/09 08:27 AM
05/17/09 08:27 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

From there things only got worse --
So i won't go there.

But it wasn't me that pulled a switcheroo --

From there we went on to for instance quote the bulk of Pauls letter to the Galatians. Though I am not suprised that you, wishing to promote the primacy of the law, would not go there.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113236
05/17/09 11:21 AM
05/17/09 11:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I have no problem agreeing that God's love is perfect and the very opposite of sin -- but never OUR LOVE.

In looking back over this thread, I notice that Colin said that agape was the opposite of sin, and I said the same thing (independently, not having read what Colin wrote) using the same word "agape." Arnold agreed with what Colin and I wrote.

Now I don't see how you could possible confuse "agape" with "our love." Don't you realize "agape" refers to God's love?

Quote:
If you agree that OUR LOVE must always be in subjection to God's commands and word, then I have no problem.

Nobody was speaking of "our love," were they? Do you honestly think that anyone here would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

Quote:
And yes, love and God's law must be combined, one cannot stand without the other.

To say something like this means you conceive of God's law and His love as two separate and distinct things. Yet His word tells us that "love is the fulfilling of the law." Given that love is the fulfilling of the law, I'm not seeing the sense of your statement. Obviously one cannot stand without the other, since they are intertwined, so it's not that part I find confusing, but the first part which says, "love and God's law must be combined." The problem is that this implies it's possible that they not be. But this is an impossibility, unless by "love" you mean something which isn't love, because "love is the fulfilling of the law," which means that wherever is found, there you find the fulfilling of the law.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113240
05/17/09 12:40 PM
05/17/09 12:40 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
We've all been assuming what everyone means by "love", and that makes an ass of each of us.

Yes, Christian love is indeed agape in our hands...: I said that in my first post. "Love" is the most confusable Bible teaching that there is, at least in general conversation! Agape starts with God, and our use of it goes by his written Word and law, and his incarnated Son.

I follow your sequence, Dedication, and you're right. Maybe put in a bit more detail, from now on, to clarify between our natural love, Christian agape and agape from God, when referring to them...?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113247
05/17/09 05:22 PM
05/17/09 05:22 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

Quote:

To say something like this means you conceive of God's law and His love as two separate and distinct things. Yet His word tells us that "love is the fulfilling of the law." Given that love is the fulfilling of the law, I'm not seeing the sense of your statement. Obviously one cannot stand without the other, since they are intertwined, so it's not that part I find confusing, but the first part which says, "love and God's law must be combined." The problem is that this implies it's possible that they not be. But this is an impossibility, unless by "love" you mean something which isn't love, because "love is the fulfilling of the law," which means that wherever is found, there you find the fulfilling of the law.

can we say they are "intertwined"? do we see them as different if the bible writers understood them to be one and the same? love is the law, the law is love. isnt there where the problem is? seeing them as different?

im probably just agreeing with you, but in different words.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113249
05/17/09 05:32 PM
05/17/09 05:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The Scriptures say "love is the fulfilling of the law" so "intertwined" looks like a good word to me. We could say the law is a written expression of love.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!