HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 79 of 100 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113274
05/17/09 10:34 PM
05/17/09 10:34 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Here's a great verse regarding God's wrath:

Quote:
17Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

18And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods. (Deut. 31:17,18)

God's wrath is expressed by His forsaking, by His hiding His fact, which results in many evils and troubling coming upon those who reject God.

said another way, God refuses to protect us if we choose to live any way that is not for our, and our fellowmans, best interest? if i choose to kill, even if that means just being irritated with someone, God will not protect me from the consequences, yet He does.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Colin] #113280
05/17/09 11:41 PM
05/17/09 11:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
C:No, Tom, I read "consuming fire" of God's glory destroying sin in his presence.

T:This is fine. It ties in with the following:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.(DA 107)

This agrees with the idea that God's presence consumes sin, and if men cling to sin, they are destroyed. But let's think through what this means. Sin is not a physical thing, but a mental thing. Sin exists in the mind. Hence the destruction that takes place takes place in the mind. The mind given to sin cannot bear the glory of God's character.

A little later we read:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

The truth about God's character gives life to the righteous, but results in death to the wicked. Why? Because of the impact of sin upon their minds.

Quote:
God's mercy, eloquently presented in those quotes, doesn't obscure or do away with his justice: since he's not arbitary, in its tyrannical sense as used in those quotes

A lot of people make this mistake! No, the word "arbitrary" is not being used in a tyrannical sense in the quote provided; it doesn't mean "capricious" but "manufactured". That is, she is arguing that the death of the wicked is the natural result of their own choice, as opposed to something which God causes to happen to them. This is obvious to see by simply reading what she wrote:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

She says nothing whatsoever about God's being tyrannical (or being accused of such; of course she would never say God was tyrannical, but she could be defending God against such an accusation, which is what you're suggesting, but the context does not bear this out). She says over and over again that the destruction of the wicked is due to their own choice. It's not something God causes to happen, which is why she says it is not an arbitrary act of power on the part of God, which is to say, it's not an act of power on the part of God initiated by Him.

The common idea is that God destroys the wicked by arbitrarily (i.e., "on the basis of individual discretion," not "capricious") taking action upon them. She is arguing against this idea, and saying that, instead of this, they die because of the actions they themselves have taken.

I think a reason for confusion on this passage is a misunderstanding of what "arbitrary" means. Here is Webster's primary definition:

Quote:
1: depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law <the manner of punishment is arbitrary>

This is how she is using the word "arbitrary," not in the sense you are suggesting, and, again, simply looking at what she wrote bears this out.

Note in the second paragraph cited she says that if God has *left* Satan to reap what he had sown, he would have perished. The destruction of the wicked takes place when God "leaves" them to reap what they have sown. This is His "strange act." This is how He executes justice.

Quote:
and thus he is fair, that's the end of the story of sin: divine wrath of conscious separation from God for ever as well as fire to end the torment, in the divinely proportionate and controlled manner.

Careful you don't lose sight of the whole picture by being diverted on account of one word "[not] arbitrary".

Sorry to break what you wrote in the middle of a sentence, but it was a very long one, and was easier to address your point by breaking up the sentence. Also it looks like breaking it up doesn't hurt the points you're making at all.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying. It sounds like you're saying that God's presence causes the wicked to suffer, and God ends their suffering by fire, in accordance to how much they've suffered (those who sinned more have to suffer more, because justice requires this). Is this what you're saying?

In regards to not losing sight of the whole picture because of the one word "arbitrary," I think you can ignore the sentence with the word "arbitrary" in it, and the remaining 10 or 11 sentences are making precisely the point I am.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113281
05/17/09 11:51 PM
05/17/09 11:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Said another way, God refuses to protect us if we choose to live any way that is not for our, and our fellowmans, best interest?

I understand this, and basically agree. Of course, there are exceptions, where God does protect us although we've chosen contrary to His wishes.

Quote:
If I choose to kill, even if that means just being irritated with someone, God will not protect me from the consequences, yet He does.

I don't understand this. "... God will not protect me from the consequences, yet He does." Are you saying here God does not protect, or that He does?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113284
05/18/09 01:52 AM
05/18/09 01:52 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Are we talking about the final destruction of the wicked at the end of the 1000 years, or are we talking about people reaping the consequences of their sins in daily live?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113286
05/18/09 02:45 AM
05/18/09 02:45 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom[quote
If I choose to kill, even if that means just being irritated with someone, God will not protect me from the consequences, yet He does.

I don't understand this. "... God will not protect me from the consequences, yet He does." Are you saying here God does not protect, or that He does? [/quote]

it seems that God removes His protection, generally speaking, but only up to a point. He still seems to protect us up to a point, but i believe you said something along those lines in your post.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #113290
05/18/09 06:02 AM
05/18/09 06:02 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"God will not protect me from the consequences, yet He does"

God allows the consequences of sin to play out to a large extent,
yet, IF He would have stepped back and never interferred, this world would have self-destructed long ago.

I think this was quoted before:

"We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one."{GC88 36

Re: does God punish? [Re: dedication] #113291
05/18/09 06:04 AM
05/18/09 06:04 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Reading through several pages of this thread showed me one thing --

People have a lot of different ideas as to their understanding of God's love!

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113292
05/18/09 07:38 AM
05/18/09 07:38 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
She says nothing whatsoever about God's being tyrannical (or being accused of such; of course she would never say God was tyrannical, but she could be defending God against such an accusation, which is what you're suggesting, but the context does not bear this out). She says over and over again that the destruction of the wicked is due to their own choice. It's not something God causes to happen, which is why she says it is not an arbitrary act of power on the part of God, which is to say, it's not an act of power on the part of God initiated by Him.

The common idea is that God destroys the wicked by arbitrarily (i.e., "on the basis of individual discretion," not "capricious") taking action upon them. She is arguing against this idea, and saying that, instead of this, they die because of the actions they themselves have taken.

I think a reason for confusion on this passage is a misunderstanding of what "arbitrary" means. Here is Webster's primary definition:
Quote:
1: depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law <the manner of punishment is arbitrary>

This is how she is using the word "arbitrary," not in the sense you are suggesting, and, again, simply looking at what she wrote bears this out.

I disagree.

OTOneH, you yourself have pointed to the 2nd meaning of arbitrary as applicable here, when you first brought me these quotes, months ago; it does fit, as God IS A JUDGGE. OTOH, for the sake of your God's character argument, you're making him as much a pacifist as you and those who agree with you are. That's not Biblical, in the end: for God is no pacificist, though he is long suffering, etc, etc.

I remember something of your discussion with Arnold, I think it was, on this...: God as sovereign judge controls everything, and, from your POV, decides when to stage the judgement day and its annihilation of the wicked; therefore God makes it happen, even from your point of view. That God is sov. judge, from my POV, gives him every freedom and right to deal with the final, en masse attempt to take him and his people out, aside from the judgement day trial & trail of evidence.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Colin] #113297
05/18/09 12:56 PM
05/18/09 12:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Colin, if you simply read the paragraphs, it's easy to see it's not talking about God's being tyrannical, but about the death of the wicked being due to their own choice. She repeats this over and over again, around 10 times(!) in the short space of 2 paragraphs. How many times does she speak of God's tyranny? 0.

Ignoring this makes for an odd interpretation indeed.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113298
05/18/09 12:57 PM
05/18/09 12:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Colin, please address this:

Quote:
I'm trying to understand what you're saying. It sounds like you're saying that God's presence causes the wicked to suffer, and God ends their suffering by fire, in accordance to how much they've suffered (those who sinned more have to suffer more, because justice requires this). Is this what you're saying?

I'm very interested in your response to this.

Page 79 of 100 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!