HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,466 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113335
05/19/09 05:11 AM
05/19/09 05:11 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
Originally Posted By: Tom
My understanding, regarding agape, is that it is a love which we do not have the ability to exercise or practice of ourselves. Only by receiving it from God is it possible for us to have, after which point we can exercise or practice it.

O.K. there is the NEW CREATURE experience.
Allowing God to change us from the inside out.

But can you explain to me how you understand this to take place?

Is it something that happens at conversion?

How would you counsel this person --

CASE STUDY (could be anyone's story)

"The morning started well enough, Sally breathed in the fresh morning morning air, thanking God for life and all His blessings. She took her Bible and read the sixth chapter of Romans, ending with prayer thanking God that her "old self" had been crucified with Christ, and that she could now "reckon herself dead to sin but alive in Christ".

Hardly had she arrived in her office when the shrill telephone shattered her peaceful world. On the other end was an impossible individual, impatient, demanding, shouting rebukes when Sally told him the company did not offer the service he was demanding.

Sally's inner peace was ripped to shreds and replaced with a volatile, steaming emotional storm. Total revoltion against this person filled her heart. Slowly the emotions subsided, but the anger turned to utter discouragement. It was still early in the morning, and already she had failed God completely. All those nice sounding promises of God's love filling her and changing her sounded like fairy tales.

END OF CASE STUDY

How would you counsel this person?

im completely lost as to how toms statement and your "case study" relate to each other, or if they do at all. could you please show the relevance?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113339
05/19/09 07:54 AM
05/19/09 07:54 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: dedication
My understanding, regarding agape, is that it is a love which we do not have the ability to exercise or practice of ourselves. Only by receiving it from God is it possible for us to have, after which point we can exercise or practice it.

O.K. there is the NEW CREATURE experience.
Allowing God to change us from the inside out.

But can you explain to me how you understand this to take place?

Is it something that happens at conversion?

How would you counsel this person --

CASE STUDY (could be anyone's story)

"The morning started well enough, Sally breathed in the fresh morning morning air, thanking God for life and all His blessings. She took her Bible and read the sixth chapter of Romans, ending with prayer thanking God that her "old self" had been crucified with Christ, and that she could now "reckon herself dead to sin but alive in Christ".

Hardly had she arrived in her office when the shrill telephone shattered her peaceful world. On the other end was an impossible individual, impatient, demanding, shouting rebukes when Sally told him the company did not offer the service he was demanding.

Sally's inner peace was ripped to shreds and replaced with a volatile, steaming emotional storm. Total revoltion against this person filled her heart. Slowly the emotions subsided, but the anger turned to utter discouragement. It was still early in the morning, and already she had failed God completely. All those nice sounding promises of God's love filling her and changing her sounded like fairy tales.

END OF CASE STUDY

How would you counsel this person?

im completely lost as to how toms statement and your "case study" relate to each other, or if they do at all. could you please show the relevance?

Teresa, Tom's saying that agape is of and from God, not anything human, but God gives it to us to have and use. This has been the cooperative effort Dedication has been talking of all thread long, insisting we study the Bible for all its angles on understanding God's agape in principle and action.

Dedication then asks here how one goes about using agape, since it's been given us. Her case study involves a believer, who is a new creation of God and knows it, but struggles to live it, not so? Therefore, how does one do it??!...

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113345
05/19/09 09:23 AM
05/19/09 09:23 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Dedications example could be another way to write Romans 7:14-25. Romans 8 would then go on to explain about a mature christian life. Dedications example tells about the situation I think all of us can relate to, the christian struggle and fall. But it ends to soon. It ougth to have left time for the return to the cross and a renewal there. Many of us likely need to visit there often, sometimes several times a day.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: asygo] #113346
05/19/09 09:26 AM
05/19/09 09:26 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: asygo

Not me. Sentence structure and style is different. That was Vaster. You guys need to bone up on your textual criticism skills. wink

I don't think that was sarcastic. Sarcasm would require more subtlety than that. He seemed pretty straightforward in the assertion that Dedication is promoting the "primacy of the law." But the accuracy of that assertion is fodder for another thread.

In any case, love is the fulfillment of the law. If one loves as Paul had in mind, he will be keeping the law that Paul had in mind.
Im suprised noone thought of looking it up. As for the other thread, have fun with it...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113351
05/19/09 12:06 PM
05/19/09 12:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Yes, it's something that happens at conversion. Regarding counsel, I think daily spending a thoughtful hour meditating on the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes, is good counsel.

D:But in that case study, she had just spent an hour studying Romans six, which includes Christ's death and "taking the old man" or our sinfulness upon Himself and dying. She had spent time with the Lord in prayer and contemplation.

She KNEW how she should have reacted, but all it did was make her feel very guilty that she didn't measure up.

I remember another mother confiding in me, how guilty she felt because she just couldn't seem to stop yelling at her son. He just kept getting under her skin. This woman was very serious about spending time studying, and praying and learning to love. She was a pusher in church in getting Prayer groups and seasons of prayer etc. going. She knew about the love of God, and that she didn't measure up.

Would you have told her to spend more time in study and prayer?

Our problem is not in what we do but how we think, primarily in how we think about God. That is, God is different than what we think. Satan has been very successful in misrepresenting Him. Few have any inkling of just how different God is from their perceptions of Him. This is why I suggested a thoughtful hour daily meditating upon the life of Christ (actually, the suggestion is not mine, but I think it's an excellent one).

Notice the suggestion is a thoughtful hour daily. This means for many days. Learning what God is really like is a process; it doesn't happen in a moment or a day.

Ty Gibson wrote something which resonates with me. He said that our understanding of God's character and our likeness to Him dovetail into one process. When we behave contrary to God's character, I believe the root cause is what we believe about Him. As we study and learn the truth about Him, and believe that truth, we will be transformed into the same image, and thus reflect His character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113356
05/19/09 05:33 PM
05/19/09 05:33 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Teresa, Tom's saying that agape is of and from God, not anything human, but God gives it to us to have and use. This has been the cooperative effort Dedication has been talking of all thread long, insisting we study the Bible for all its angles on understanding God's agape in principle and action.

Dedication then asks here how one goes about using agape, since it's been given us. Her case study involves a believer, who is a new creation of God and knows it, but struggles to live it, not so? Therefore, how does one do it??!...

as ive said i have the hardest time understanding what you are saying or the point you are making. sorry. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113363
05/19/09 08:50 PM
05/19/09 08:50 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq

as ive said i have the hardest time understanding what you are saying or the point you are making. sorry. smile

Ah yes: let's see... cool

Remember the difference on this thread between God's love and our love...? Then the realisation that Dedication was speaking of Christians using God's love, and not just God himself?

Tom was saying this is of course an important truth, since we believers are lead by the Spirit to be more like Christ's example of living God's love. Dedication then posed a scenario where following the Spirit's lead didn't work, due the pressures mentioned, and Dedication asked how that can be avoided, like what plans and ways we can have to hold on to the Spirit's leading.

Thus, the bringing together of human and divine minds, as we seek to be true to God's love in our Christian work, is seen to be difficult. Is that clearer, Teresa, and if so, do you have a suggestion to solve that difficulty?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113364
05/19/09 09:09 PM
05/19/09 09:09 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Ah yes: let's see... cool

Remember the difference on this thread between God's love and our love...? Then the realisation that Dedication was speaking of Christians using God's love, and not just God himself?

Tom was saying this is of course an important truth, since we believers are lead by the Spirit to be more like Christ's example of living God's love. Dedication then posed a scenario where following the Spirit's lead didn't work, due the pressures mentioned, and Dedication asked how that can be avoided, like what plans and ways we can have to hold on to the Spirit's leading.
Is this really the essence of Dedications example?
Quote:

Thus, the bringing together of human and divine minds, as we seek to be true to God's love in our Christian work, is seen to be difficult. Is that clearer, Teresa, and if so, do you have a suggestion to solve that difficulty?

Galatians 2

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113375
05/20/09 12:51 AM
05/20/09 12:51 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
.... Is that clearer, Teresa, and if so, do you have a suggestion to solve that difficulty?

...Colin. He's just enigmatic (as opposed to sarcastic).

that works for me! smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113380
05/20/09 01:54 AM
05/20/09 01:54 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Thanks Colin!
You've explained it better than I could have.

Quote:

People are bombarded by pressures, a corrupt social environment, a host of voices saying "this way, that way" some even sounding very good, yet still pointing in the wrong direction, and even other spirits attempting to lead astray, so how does one hold on to the Spirit's leading? How does one practice this righteous agape love that is principle of God's law?

Reply Quote
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!