HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113381
05/20/09 02:18 AM
05/20/09 02:18 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Dedications example tells about the situation I think all of us can relate to, the christian struggle and fall. But it ends to soon. It ougth to have left time for the return to the cross and a renewal there. Many of us likely need to visit there often, sometimes several times a day.

I purposely didn't end the story -- I asked what kind of counsel would "you" (open to anyone here) give -- in other words what should a person experiencing this do?

Yes, you've made a good point --
We need to visit the cross not just when we first accept Christ, and not just for an object lesson on love in extreme hostile conditions, but in deep recognition of our need for forgiveness and Christ's righteousness. And yes,-- OFTEN!
When we get too sure of ourselves and think we KNOW how to live the Christian life....
we are deceiving ourselves.

It's also as we recognize our own desperate need for mercy, and experence deep gratitude for Christ's forgiveness and cleansing power, that we start to look at other people differently.

If God can be merciful to me, shouldn't I be merciful to others? After all Christ loved them and died to save them, too -- they are that precious to Him.

But it's still not the "end of the story"

We still need to go back out there into the real world....

Last edited by dedication; 05/20/09 02:19 AM.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113387
05/20/09 05:17 AM
05/20/09 05:17 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Somehow visiting the cross must become part of the real world with the Christian.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113389
05/20/09 06:20 AM
05/20/09 06:20 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
People are bombarded by pressures, a corrupt social environment, a host of voices saying "this way, that way" some even sounding very good, yet still pointing in the wrong direction, and even other spirits attempting to lead astray, so how does one hold on to the Spirit's leading? How does one practice this righteous agape love that is principle of God's law?

Principles, as well as instruction are given in God's Word, but at the same time, in its detailed application to the
specific acts and circumstances, much has been
left to the individual conscience and judgment. It is here that our responsibility begins. Here we must seek to know the will of
God and to cherish the spirit of obedience.

Sin includes a whole range of things, but basically it is REBELLION. It's not just being "unloving" it is REBELLION.

We will never have the right understanding of sin until we see it as against God. All sin is against God -- primarily against His law and authority.

Sin does not want to surrender to God.

And risking the chance of being misunderstood, I'll insert that I'm speaking in general terms, not about anyone here.
For me, having people say "love is the opposite of sin" is, on one hand, just too simplistic phrasing. Of course God's love is the opposite of sin and we are to reflect His love.
But the human part of "agape love" can be deceptive TO THE PERSON himself. I don't know if you can understand that, but I believe it is on that very basis that Christians will be deceived into the false worship system in the last day, it will be based on lofty sounding principles of love, but there will be a subtle twist. For me it's not just a matter of "arguing with the brethren" but a very important understanding, that even though God's love is perfect, human understanding of that love, and how to live according to that love, is not perfect.

We need to surrender self to Christ, and to walk with Him in humble, loving obedience according to His Word and law.

Sin is REBELLION, the opposite of that is surrender.
Sin is rebelling against God's authority and law.
The opposite is to surrender oneself to God's authority and law.

What I'll say next will probably bring protests, but read the whole before addressing it.

--When we focus on "victory" over sin, we are focused on the wrong thing.
The mother desperately wanted victory over the way she treated her son. She wanted to be free from the impulse to yell at him, and never have to deal with that emotion again.

But instead of focusing on victory what we should do is focus on walking step by step, hour by hour, in obedience to God. This isn't saying that God doesn't want us to experience victory, He does, and we WILL have victory IF we walk in obedience, BUT OUR FOCUS isn't on the victory, it's in walking in obedience RIGHT NOW with Christ.

For some reason God doesn't remove our emotional reactors and ingrained habits from us when we are baptized.
He could just wipe them out of our system, and sometimes we hear that it does happen, but usually it does not.
Those obnoxious habits, if we are serious about our walk with Christ, drive us to cling to Him for strength and direction. We will be constantly seeking to fill our minds with His Word and will, and asking for His Spirit.
Our battle with daily sins teach us NOT to depend upon self.

The difference between focusing on "victory" instead of "daily obedience" is this --
In the first, we are focused on self, on "I will get the victory"

In the other we are focused on Christ, and surrendering self to Him and to His standard of obedience on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis. Looking to Him each moment for the strength to respond to situations according to His will.

In the first, we will be frustrated as "victory" illudes us. Or if by shear will power we do manage to get victory over one or two sins, it may lead to spiritual pride, and downfall.

In the second, we will find the sins that so easily tripped us up will lose their power over us, (we will find true victory in Christ) but we continue to cling to Christ and walk with Him in humble obedience submitting to His will, not trusting in self.
And He will open our minds to greater understanding of His truths from His Word, and we will grow in grace.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113390
05/20/09 06:31 AM
05/20/09 06:31 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Somehow visiting the cross must become part of the real world with the Christian.

I agreed with you on that point.
By "real world" I meant the rough and tumble of the work a day world where we deal with people -- where our "Christianity" is tested. How do we cope there?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113393
05/20/09 12:33 PM
05/20/09 12:33 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin

Ah yes: let's see... cool

Remember the difference on this thread between God's love and our love...? Then the realisation that Dedication was speaking of Christians using God's love, and not just God himself?

Tom was saying this is of course an important truth, since we believers are lead by the Spirit to be more like Christ's example of living God's love. Dedication then posed a scenario where following the Spirit's lead didn't work, due the pressures mentioned, and Dedication asked how that can be avoided, like what plans and ways we can have to hold on to the Spirit's leading.
Is this really the essence of Dedications example?
Quote:

Thus, the bringing together of human and divine minds, as we seek to be true to God's love in our Christian work, is seen to be difficult. Is that clearer, Teresa, and if so, do you have a suggestion to solve that difficulty?

Ok, that was late in the evening, so it didn't quite work right, and I went off line early in the night, at 11 smile : Dedication's scenario involved not tapping in to the Spirit's leading due to pressures in life and being mentally distracted...; I wasn't suggesting that should we tap in to the Spirit's leading that we'll fail to follow it, should we stay connected.

Thank you Dedication, for your complement, too - I just hadn't seen the negative implication of my comments. grin

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113397
05/20/09 02:20 PM
05/20/09 02:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think it would be good to spend a thoughtful hour each day upon the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113412
05/21/09 12:51 AM
05/21/09 12:51 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think it would be good to spend a thoughtful hour each day upon the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes.

the "case study" did not give enough details to be able to give any kind of "diagnosis" and "prescription", such as the persons history, for example.

a person would have to be converted to begin with. they would have to want to be living for the Lord. and victory does come, as you and thomas point out, in having our attention on Christ.

Quote:
Forgetful of self, they faltered not when weary, hungry, and cold. They had in view but one object--the salvation of those who had wandered far from the fold. {AA 169.2}

the bible and sop are full of "prescriptions" such as the above for success.

what our eyes are on and what our goal is seems to determine success or failure.

Jesus risked eternal separation from the Father so that we might have a place in heaven.

moses was willing to have his name blotted out of the book of life if that would save his fellow israelites. paul also was willing to give up his place in heaven.

so yes, for me, studying Christ and falling at the cross often during the day seems to be my only assurance of learning to love as Christ loved.

Quote:
Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113417
05/21/09 02:38 AM
05/21/09 02:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A person would have to be converted to begin with.

Excellent point.

Quote:
They would have to want to be living for the Lord. and victory does come, as you and thomas point out, in having our attention on Christ.

I don't want to be understood in my point. It's easy to make any "prescription," as you put it, into a works program. I'm not suggesting "doing" something as a key to success, but trying to get at what I perceive to be the root of the problem. It seems to me the root of the human problem is that Satan has misrepresented God's character, and mankind has bought into that lie. In order to "fix" man, Christ came to demonstrate the truth about God.

What better way to learn the truth about God than to study the life of Christ? That's why I'm suggesting (not me originally, of course) studying the life of Christ. As Ty Gibson points out, our understanding of God's character and likeness to Him dovetail as one process.

Quote:
Jesus risked eternal separation from the Father so that we might have a place in heaven.

This is amazing, isn't it? I find that many lose the blessing of this concept by not believing that there was an actual risk here (False ideas regarding God's omniscience get in the way here.)

Quote:
Moses was willing to have his name blotted out of the book of life if that would save his fellow Israelites. Paul also was willing to give up his place in heaven.

This is the spirit of Christ! Not our salvation, but the salvation of others.

Quote:
So yes, for me, studying Christ and falling at the cross often during the day seems to be my only assurance of learning to love as Christ loved.

Yes, Christ is the key.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113421
05/21/09 03:48 AM
05/21/09 03:48 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

Has its place, of course. Equally, how many understand how we link to the life of Christ? How many understand what justification by faith is - what the grace behind that justification is, for that is our link to Christ?

Unless we understand and experience that link study is ultimately a dead end.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113422
05/21/09 03:53 AM
05/21/09 03:53 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted By: teresaq

This is amazing, isn't it? I find that many lose the blessing of this concept by not believing that there was an actual risk here (False ideas regarding God's omniscience get in the way here.)

...God's omniscience??...What prevents that enormous risk being understood is misunderstanding God's nature!

Reply Quote
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!