HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113446
05/21/09 06:41 PM
05/21/09 06:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In Numbers it says that God sent fiery snakes upon the Israelites. If someone explained this passage to mean that God removed His protection, and the snakes were always there the whole time, someone else might object that this would be making the passage to say something it isn't really saying.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113447
05/21/09 07:07 PM
05/21/09 07:07 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
In Numbers it says that God sent fiery snakes upon the Israelites. If someone explained this passage to mean that God removed His protection, and the snakes were always there the whole time, someone else might object that this would be making the passage to say something it isn't really saying.

yes, and rightly so without biblical proof that is what happened.

we would have to lead off with the texts of Gods protection as well as the examples of when He leaves us to the consequences of our actions if we insist on removing ourselves from His protection.

but what texts in this thread have been "forced" to say other than exactly what they say?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113449
05/21/09 09:10 PM
05/21/09 09:10 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
They would have to want to be living for the Lord. and victory does come, as you and thomas point out, in having our attention on Christ.

I don't want to be understood in my point. It's easy to make any "prescription," as you put it, into a works program.

it seems that is where the "new heart" comes in.
Quote:

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

so that
Quote:
The workers need to study the life of Christ until they give themselves unreservedly to him. "It is the spirit that quickeneth," Christ declared, "the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." Those who practise the words of Christ become one with him. Their lives represent the pure principles of the Word in simplicity and meekness. ... {RH, September 2, 1909 par. 10}

we then get
Quote:
Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

but the righteous are unconscious of having done anything for the Lord
Quote:
Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Quote:
tom: I'm not suggesting "doing" something as a key to success, but trying to get at what I perceive to be the root of the problem. It seems to me the root of the human problem is that Satan has misrepresented God's character, and mankind has bought into that lie. In order to "fix" man, Christ came to demonstrate the truth about God.

not knowing and studying Gods true character could lead us to
Quote:
http://www.christianzionism.org/

“Christ will come back with a sword on his side. And, he will come back as the ultimate judge of the world. We’re going to be behind him with, I believe, swords in our hands and we’re going to be his army. And, this battle…the blood from this battle will be as high as a horse’s bridle. It’s just something mankind has never witnessed before.” Laura Bagg

all in the name of God.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113452
05/21/09 09:48 PM
05/21/09 09:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But what texts in this thread have been "forced" to say other than exactly what they say?

I think Dedication's comment was a general one; it wasn't targeting any specific application of a text on this thread, I don't think.

Regarding your next post, I agree. The deception at the end involves, above all else, not knowing God's true character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113464
05/22/09 02:35 PM
05/22/09 02:35 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

God sees the future as it really is, which is not fixed, like the past, but open. When the SOP said that Christ came at the risk of failure and eternal loss, that means it was possible that this could happen, and this is one of the possibilities God foresaw. We should be careful not to have a view of God's omniscience which makes it logically impossible for there to be more than one possible outcome.

Here's an example of the conflicting logic I was mentioning:

Quote:
Did God know Christ would be victorious?
I believe He did...

Was it a risk?
Yes!

If you know the outcome of an event, then there is no risk. This is why there are laws against insider trading, for example.

Knowing the outcome does not preprogram it, nor lessen the conflicting battles leading up to it.

It just KNOWS what it will be.

If God's omniscience doesn't KNOW the outcome, but knows only the probabilities, then can we be sure God will win in the final battle against sin at the end of the 1000 years, or is satan's idea that he, with the countless millions of lost can dethrone God and take over the city a possibility?

Do we lessen God's omniscience to reduce it to our logic?

Basically, as I see it, what you said above is that God can't REALLY SEE the future, (as in not being locked in time but actually SEE the future) but that He only knows the probabilities of what the outcome will be.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113472
05/22/09 08:57 PM
05/22/09 08:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Knowing the outcome does not preprogram it, nor lessen the conflicting battles leading up to it.

It just KNOWS what it will be.

Which means there's no risk involved. Again, consider insider trading laws. Why is it illegal to buy/sell stocks if you have inside information? Because, in this case, your level of risk is not the same as others. Why? Because you have knoweldge of the outcome that others have. More knowledge means less risk. Perfect knowledge would mean zero risk, assuming the fixed future scenario (i.e. God sees only one future result, that which will happen).

Quote:
If God's omniscience doesn't KNOW the outcome, but knows only the probabilities, then can we be sure God will win in the final battle against sin at the end of the 1000 years, or is satan's idea that he, with the countless millions of lost can dethrone God and take over the city a possibility?

Sure we can be sure! Think of a chessmaster who has a winning position. He may not know what the specific moves will be that will lead up to his checkmating the opposition, but he can be 100% sure that with perfect play, the game is won. God, of course, doesn't make mistakes, so He can be 100% the "game is won," even though the details haven't yet been determined.

Quote:
Do we lessen God's omniscience to reduce it to our logic?

This question doesn't seem to make sense. Would you rephrase it?

Quote:
Basically, as I see it, what you said above is that God can't REALLY SEE the future, (as in not being locked in time but actually SEE the future) but that He only knows the probabilities of what the outcome will be.

No, this isn't the issue. God can see the future perfectly, but the future is not fixed. It is yet to be determined, which is just what God sees, a non-determined future.

If you'd like to discuss this future, please start a new thread. Or, if you'd prefer that I do, I will, just let me know.

Thanks.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Green Cochoa] #113601
05/25/09 02:40 PM
05/25/09 02:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Grace may be a healing balm for sin, but it is not the opposite of it. The opposite of transgression of the law is obedience to the law.

If sin and righteousness are opposites, what, then, did Jesus mean in His unprofitable servant parables?

Also, if not sinning constitutes righteousness, how do we define righteousness? How do we define what Jesus revealed and demonstrated while He was here?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #117253
08/07/09 05:49 PM
08/07/09 05:49 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
The opposite of sin is righteousness.

It is by GRACE that we leave sin behind and find righteousness.

Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Romans 5:21 That as sin reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

1 Cor. 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not;

2 Cor. 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Prov. 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
i came across this last night:

Righteousness is holiness, likeness to God, and "God is love." 1 John 4:16. It is conformity to the law of God, for "all Thy commandments are righteousness" (Psalm 119:172), and "love is the fulfilling of the law" (Romans 13:10). Righteousness is love, and love is the light and the life of God. The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ. We receive righteousness by receiving Him. {MB 18.1}

and that makes sense if we understand what sin is

The church is made up of persons of different temperaments and of various dispositions; they have come from different denominations; for the Cleaver of truth has separated one here and one there from the great quarry of the world, and in the church of Christ all these various members must be cemented together by the Spirit of God. If the love of Christ is in the hearts of the members of the church, through the abundant grace of Christ, there will be oneness, unity, among brethren. We must close the door of the heart to every suggestion that shall have the least tendency toward keeping us from this state of harmony. We must not hamper the soul and cripple its powers by the indulgence of selfishness. Selfishness is sin, and it grieves away the Spirit of Christ. When we cherish unkind thoughts, and harbor suspicions against our brethren, we are cutting ourselves off from the channel of God's light and love. Jealousy is as cruel as the grave, and should never be cherished in the heart, much less expressed in the actions. How cruel it is to cherish evil surmising against those who are members of Christ's body! Accusation, condemnation, and revenge are all of Satanic origin, and evil thoughts of others should be at once rejected from the mind, for these things repulse, and separate the hearts of brethren. Satan rejoices when he can create division in the church of God; for weakness follows, and the things that remain are ready to die. {ST, April 13, 1891 par. 3}

Many things are registered as sins in the book of heaven which men do not call sin. Selfishness and covetousness are at the foundation of all sins, and yet many are not convicted of the sin of selfishness, because it is a part of their nature, and they do not listen to the reprovings of the Holy Spirit. They judge their brethren, thinking to remove a mote from their brother's eye, when they have a beam in their own eye which must be removed before they can see clearly to extract the mote from their brother's eye. The work of correcting our fellow men, and especially of correcting our brethren in the faith, is a work that requires wisdom from God. It requires a growing experience in spiritual things in order that spiritual things may be called by their right name. The Lord has not placed any man on the judgment seat to judge his brother and to define the character of his sin. {13MR 270.3}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #117310
08/09/09 02:39 PM
08/09/09 02:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, I agree that selfishness and unselfishness are opposites, however, I disagree that the absence of one is the presence of the other. We are not being like Jesus simply because we are not being like Satan. Just because big brother doesn't punch little brother in the nose it doesn't mean he is being Christlike. The opposite of love is indifference not hate. To be like Jesus requires the death of self and a rebirth in the likeness of sweet Jesus. Two different dynamics must play out - 1) Self must die, and 2) rebirth must happen. These two things are not opposites; instead, they are two totally different things that must happen to be like Jesus.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Mountain Man] #117319
08/09/09 04:46 PM
08/09/09 04:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Teresaq, I agree that selfishness and unselfishness are opposites, however, I disagree that the absence of one is the presence of the other. We are not being like Jesus simply because we are not being like Satan.

The absence of one *is* the presence of the other. It has to be. All there is in the world is good and evil. To the extent one is not one, one is the other.

To the extent that we are not like Christ, we are like Satan. That's rather depressing, perhaps, but that's the way it is.

Recognizing this should lead us to cry out, like Ellen White mentioned she did, "Nearer my God to Thee, nearer to Thee."

Quote:
Just because big brother doesn't punch little brother in the nose it doesn't mean he is being Christlike.

Right, which also means it doesn't necessarily mean he's being unlike Satan.

Reply Quote
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!