HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113485
05/23/09 05:37 AM
05/23/09 05:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:a)Clearly Christology was the driving factor in the false theology. This is where most of the attention was directed.

R:I disagree completely. The opposite is true – they started with the theology of victory over sin and from there they went to Christology.

No they didn't. I went through the time line. Haskell immediately pointed out that flaw in the HF idea regarding Christ's human nature, and Jones continued with the Review articles, and Waggoner continued at the GC session.

If you wish to assert "the opposite is true," you should at least provide some evidence to support your point of view, rather than just asserting it.

Quote:
It’s clear that Donnell first created his theory about what the 144,000 must become, and then applied this to Christ.

If this is clear, you should be able to quote something to this effect from Donnell. Please do so.

Quote:
T:b)This opposition started immediately, upon confronting the HF error, and continued in the HF teachings were defeated.

R:I don’t think there was complete opposition. They had similar emphases in “translation faith,” and in the fact that "perfect holiness embraces the flesh as well as the spirit; it includes the body as well as the soul" (Jones); and both had “overstrained ideas of sanctification.”

Clearly there was opposition. I quoted clear opposition from Haskell. This is right from the beginning.

The emphasis on translation faith and perfection of holiness is fine; Ellen White emphasizes this as well.

Quote:
Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. (MS 122, 1901).

Quote:
Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own.(COL 69)

This is perfection of character in the flesh. Perfection of the flesh is the problem.

Quote:
Well, your contention was that Ellen White disagreed with her friend Haskell who, in writing to her, described the holy flesh movement as “a mixture of truth and error” (Haskell to Ellen White, September 25, 1900). As I said previously, even Satan mixes truth and error, but if you think you must take Ellen White’s words literally, what can I do?

Saying there is not a fabric of truth in the whole fabric has to mean something, Rosangela. You can't make this mean "I agree with the HF people on the point that is being most contested."

Don't you think it's odd that you side with Donnell and Davis and disagree with Prescott, Jones, Waggoner and Haskell? I don't understand how you can think they (the HF people) were right and the others were wrong, nor how you can think Ellen White agreed with the HF people and disagreed with the others, given not only that Ellen White stated that there wasn't a thread of truth in the whole fabric, but actually endorsed the specific theology of the postlapsarians.

Let's take a look again at the argument of the HF people:

Quote:
Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before he fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die" (Haskell reporting to Ellen White)

Here are the points:
1.Christ took Adam's nature before the fall.
2.We must become holy in the same sense, for then we will have "translation faith."

What's the root of the argument? That Christ had sinless flesh. Now let's compare this to what Prescott taught: Christ bore exactly the same flesh that we bear, flesh of sin, flesh in which we sin, but flesh in which He did not sin.

Quote:
Could you please explain how I can be “in the HF side of this controversy (the Christological part)” if I don’t believe Christ had holy flesh?

Sure. I'll just quote from Donnell.

Quote:
The only reason why God does not dwell in man is because sin is there, and in order for God to again dwell in man sin must be eradicated. The body of Christ was a body in which God was incarnate, and as God and Satan cannot dwell together, the body of Christ must have been a body from which even every tendency to sin must have been wholly eradicated"— "Article Two", p. 6.

Quote:
Where did Adam stand before his fall?. . . He was holy. Now, in order to pass over the same ground that Adam passed over, Christ would most assuredly have to begin just where Adam began! . . . . Now, we know that his divinity was holy, and if his humanity was holy, then we do know that that thing which was born of the virgin Mary was in every sense a holy thing, and did not possess the tendency to sin—R.S. Donnell, "Article Two", pp. 6,7.

Quote:
He took a body which showed by its deteriorated condition, that the effects of sin was shown by it, but His life proved that there was no sin in it. It was a body which the Father had prepared for Him (Heb. 10:5). Christ's body represented a body redeemed from its fallen spiritual nature, but not from its fallen, or deteriorated physical nature. It was a body redeemed from sin, and with that body Christ clothed His divinity; thus by His life, on earth, He showed what humanity will do when filled with the divine mind. Then every member of the human race, who will renounce Satan and his works, and will permit Christ to clothe himself with his humanity, in that act, becomes a member of the family of heaven. That is just what it will be, if we will let the divine mind come into us. It will be divinity clothed with humanity, and that is just what Christ was. And thus clothed He did no sin. Is that putting it too strong? Well that is just the way that God wants it to be put ("The Nature of Christ and Man" - An unpublished manuscript in the Foundation Library).

You agree with all this, don't you?

You've made the same argument Donnell made:

1.Christ had no tendencies to sin (even hereditary ones)
2.We must eradicate all our tendencies to sin (including hereditary ones) to be like Christ.

Same ideas, same logic; almost the same words.

On the other hand, here's what Haskell said:

Quote:
Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made ‘in the likeness of sinful flesh,’ he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us.

"This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness." (first paragraph = DA, second Haskell commenting on that).

Prescott:

Quote:
Jesus Christ had exactly the same flesh that we bear — flesh of sin, flesh in which we sin, but in which He did not sin.(Sermon Ellen White endorsed.

Quote:
It’s like saying that I am on the post-lapsarian side of this controversy (the Christological part) because I believe that Christ had fallen flesh.

But you don't believe this. Maybe this is part of the confusion.

Quote:
Now the flesh of Jesus Christ was our flesh and in it was all that is in our flesh--all the tendencies to sin that are in our flesh were in His flesh, drawing upon Him to get Him to consent to sin. Suppose He had consented to sin with His mind--what then? Then His mind would have been corrupted and then He would have become of like passions with us.

This is what "sinful flesh" is, flesh with "all the tendencies to sin that in our flesh."

You can't separate tendencies to sin from sinful flesh. If you look at the writings of all the "old guys," they all emphasize this. To deny that sinful flesh includes tendencies to sin and assert agreement that Jesus Christ had sinful flesh is rather disingenuous, as this would be giving a private definition to a term which is widely understood. This is particularly the case in reference to Prescott, who didn't have your idea in mind at all when he asserted that Christ had exactly the same flesh that we bear.

Quote:
T:e)That Ellen White was on the HF side of the controversy (regarding the Christology) is impossible

R:I agree, since she didn’t believe Christ had holy flesh.

Here's the point of contention, again:

Quote:
The body of Christ was a body in which God was incarnate, and as God and Satan cannot dwell together, the body of Christ must have been a body from which even every tendency to sin must have been wholly eradicated"— "Article Two", p. 6.

Quote:
Made ‘in the likeness of sinful flesh,’ he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us."

Then he commented: "This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations.

Quote:
After speaking here the last time that I was here, there were two questions handed me, and I might read them now. One of them is this: "Was that Holy Thing which was born of the Virgin Mary born in sinful flesh, and did that flesh have the same evil tendencies to contend with that ours does?" (Waggoner, on the way to explaining that it did)

The first quote is Donnell, with whom you agree, and the second is Haskell, and then Waggoner (at the 1901 GC session, where the HF movement was dealt its death blow).

The issue that was disagreed about, in terms of Christology, was whether or not Christ had tendencies, or inclinations, to sin in His flesh. Again, if you wish to postulate some other Christological area of disagreement, please present some evidence; quote something from the "old guys" which discusses your idea of the contention.

Quote:
To demonstrate that, contrarily to what you say, Ellen White saw no significant differences between a nature with tendencies to sin and a nature without tendencies to sin in what respects Satan’s temptations.

This is such an utterly false argument from a logical standpoint, it should be easy to see. All one can conclude from her statement was that she, in this statement, wasn't dealing with the issue of fallen vs. unfallen nature. But she dealt with this issue on many occasions. In the same article(!) she emphasized that Christ did not come with the nature of Adam before the fall, but with the nature of Adam after the fall.

Let's say I say "John and I are from the same country." Your reasoning above would conclude, "It's not important to Tom that he and John are from different states." That's not a warranted conclusion. All you can conclude is that being from different states wasn't something I focused on in my statement.

That having hereditary tendencies to sin was important to Ellen White is easily inferred from the following:

Quote:
As one of us He was to give an example of obedience. For this He took upon Himself our nature, and passed through our experiences. "In all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren." Heb. 2:17. If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us. Therefore Jesus was "in all points tempted like as we are." Heb. 4:15. He endured every trial to which we are subject.(DA 24; emphasis mine)

as well as DA 49, which tells us that Christ accepted the law of heredity in order to share in our sorrows and temptations.

Quote:
T:I don't understand at all the drastic separation you make between Ellen White and the others.

R:So your contention is that there is no difference between Ellen White’s writings and Jones and Waggoner’s writings. Is this your position?

This is another one of the "swicheroo" things Arnold spoke of earlier. Let's take a look at what I said:

Quote:
Secondly, the Holy Spirit worked with the church as a whole. He didn't just use Ellen White and ignore everyone else. Indeed, Ellen White was emphatic that the Holy Spirit worked in a wonderful way through Jones, Waggoner, and Prescott. I don't understand at all the drastic separation you make between Ellen White and the others. She had a gift, and the others had gifts. She didn't make the distinction you are making.

For example, a delegate of the 1888 conference went to Ellen White to discuss Jones and Waggoner, and she told the delegate that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she could. The delegate was surprised, and said, "What, with all your experience, and being a prophet, he can teach righteousness by faith better than you?" She responded that yes, he could, that God gave him a gift that He didn't give to her.

Pray tell me how you conclude from this that I am contending that there is no difference between her writings and Jones and Waggoner's writings. Clearly if she thought Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she could, there had to be differences.

Quote:
T:The reason the law of heredity transmits to us a carnal mind is because we've all sinned.

R:???

I don't understand what you're confused about here. Have you read A. T. Jones' 1895 GCB sermons? This is explained in detail there.

None of the SDA's spoke of "Christ" and "carnal" in the same sentence. "Sinful" and "Christ" were spoken of, in terms of Christ's flesh (or assumed human nature), but not "carnal." Have you not noticed this?

Quote:
Don’t you think there is a contradiction here? Does the law of heredity, then, in your view, transmit to us a sinful mind, a carnal mind, a neutral mind, or what? We are born with a mind. What kind of mind is it?

The law of heredity transmits to us a nature with tendencies to sin. We need the grace of God, the assistance of the Spirit of God, in order to overcome these tendencies. This is the ordeal that Christ passed through. He was tempted in all points as we are. He took accepted the workings of heredity, assuming our sinful nature, that He might share in our sorrows and temptations.

Quote:
He was made in the likeness of sinful flesh. Don’t go too far. He was made in the likeness of sinful flesh; not in the likeness of sinful mind. Do not drag His mind into it. His flesh was our flesh; but the mind was "the mind of Christ Jesus." . . . In Jesus Christ the mind of God is brought back once more to the sons of men; and Satan is conquered. (A. T. Jones, 1895 GCB)

Quote:
T:From this we see that "frown of God" is talking about "condemnation."

R:No, the angel is talking about both the condemnation of sin and the frown of God – two different things, IMO. By the way, what, to you, is a sin of ignorance?

This construction Ellen White used is extremely common. She repeated the same thing in a slightly different way. So common is this, one can just about stop at any page she wrote at random and find examples of this.

She writes that "condemnation" comes as a result of rejecting light, right? So, as I stated before, the condemnation spoken of here can't possibly come to newborns or 20+ week old fetuses, right?

Quote:
By the way, what, to you, is a sin of ignorance?

An example of a sin of ignorance is given in the quote we're discussing:

Quote:
Said the angel, "Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet." Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject." I saw that it was in the minds of some that the Lord had shown that the Sabbath commenced at six o'clock, when I had only seen that it commenced at "even," and it was inferred that even was at six. I saw the servants of God must draw together, press together.

Ellen White and her group were ignorantly observing the Sabbath from 6:00 PM to 6:00 PM.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113489
05/23/09 02:58 PM
05/23/09 02:58 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Tom, you may be wasting all your research effort here, because cleansed characters by Christ's completed & finished mediation as High Priest is SDA gospel focus orientated by the sanctuary truth as well as our eschatology. Since that focus is there, the HF movement tried a short cut to get there, likely having given up on any notion of character Christlikeness being possible in our sinful nature.

Thus their reasoning, as opposed to their logic, went from the gospel goal backwards, to change the rules on Christology, not from changing gospel history forward to the gospel goal.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113498
05/23/09 08:51 PM
05/23/09 08:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
T:a)Clearly Christology was the driving factor in the false theology. This is where most of the attention was directed.
R:I disagree completely. The opposite is true – they started with the theology of victory over sin and from there they went to Christology.
T: No they didn't. I went through the time line. Haskell immediately pointed out that flaw in the HF idea regarding Christ's human nature, and Jones continued with the Review articles, and Waggoner continued at the GC session.

??? What does this have to do with their line of reasoning? At the time their points began to be refuted, the theory had already been formulated in its entirety.

Quote:
T: If you wish to assert "the opposite is true," you should at least provide some evidence to support your point of view, rather than just asserting it.

OK.

“What I Taught in Indiana,” pp 5-6 “[Quotes DA, 117] ‘From eternal ages it was God's purpose that every created being, from the bright and holy seraph to man, should be a temple for the indwelling of the Creator. Because of sin, humanity ceased to be a temple for God. Darkened and defiled by evil, the heart of man no longer revealed the glory of the Divine One. But by the incarnation of the Son of God, the purpose of Heaven is fulfilled. God dwells in humanity, and through saving grace the heart of man becomes again His temple.’ [Donnell comments] This certainly proves that Christ dwelt in the same kind of flesh as do the brethren, the restored or sanctified ones. How clear it is from this statement that the cause for God's forsaking humanity as His temple must be removed before He can return and again occupy it as was His purpose from eternity. This removal was wrought when Christ becomes incarnate in human flesh, even in yours and mine; for conversion is only incarnation going right on, God being manifest in the flesh. And of this Christ was a perfect sample, an exhibition of what the power of God, or Christ dwelling in us, would do for us.”

Donnell starts with the kind of flesh the sanctified ones have, one in which God dwells, and then goes on to demonstrate that Christ dwelt in the same flesh as they. Also the overstrained ideas on sanctification are apparent: conversion is God’s incarnation in us.

Again:

p. 5: Men can continually do righteous acts only as God is incarnate in them; and it was God’s purpose from the beginning to dwell in every created being, so that good works, or He Himself, might always appear in them. But in sinful men Satan is incarnate, and God and Satan cannot dwell together. The only reason why God does not dwell in man is because sin is them, and in order for God to again dwell in man sin must be eradicated. The body of Christ was a body in which God was incarnate, and as God and Satan cannot dwell together, the body of Christ must have been a body from which even every tendency to sin must have been wholly eradicated.

The key again is the overstrained ideas on sanctification. God must be incarnate in men, but since Satan is incarnate in sinful men, God and Satan can’t dwell together; from this he goes on to his conclusions in relation to Christ’s body.

Quote:
The emphasis on translation faith and perfection of holiness is fine; Ellen White emphasizes this as well.

I’ve never seen either the Bible or Ellen White speak about “translation faith,” neither do I believe there is such a distinct kind of faith. And I didn’t speak about perfection of holiness, but perfection of health as a part of holiness. As Jones puts it: “Therefore, as perfect holiness can not be attained without holiness of body, and as holiness of body is expressed in the word 'health,' so perfect holiness can not be attained without health. And 'without holiness no man shall see the Lord.'”

Quote:
Saying there is not a fabric of truth in the whole fabric has to mean something, Rosangela. You can't make this mean "I agree with the HF people on the point that is being most contested."

I would agree with this if the point had been contested by her. But it wasn’t contested and nor even mentioned by her, either by pen or by voice. If you were the prophet, which points would you mention? The less important or the most important?

Quote:
Here are the points:
1.Christ took Adam's nature before the fall.
2.We must become holy in the same sense, for then we will have "translation faith."

Obviously both points are wrong.
1. Christ didn’t take Adam’s nature before the fall.
2. Even if He had taken it, we couldn’t become holy in the same sense.

Quote:
You've made the same argument Donnell made:
1.Christ had no tendencies to sin (even hereditary ones)
2.We must eradicate all our tendencies to sin (including hereditary ones) to be like Christ.

I didn’t make these arguments. Ellen White did.

“Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin.” “Not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity.” “In our perverted ideas we must not think that the liability of Christ to yield to Satan's temptations degraded His humanity and He possessed the same sinful, corrupt propensities as man.” {16MR 182.2}

Quote:
This is what "sinful flesh" is, flesh with "all the tendencies to sin that in our flesh."

As I’ve told you innumerable times, this concept is completely wrong. There are no tendencies to sin in our body (except, perhaps, tendencies to the use of drugs); all our tendencies to sin are in our mind.

Quote:
You can't separate tendencies to sin from sinful flesh. If you look at the writings of all the "old guys," they all emphasize this.

The “old girl” doesn’t.

Quote:
That having hereditary tendencies to sin was important to Ellen White is easily inferred from the following: “...If we had to bear anything which Jesus did not endure, then upon this point Satan would represent the power of God as insufficient for us....”

Seeing hereditary tendencies in this quote is a completely unwarranted inference. Besides, Ellen White says, in DA 116, that the same temptations Christ met and we meet were the temptations of Adam and Eve. There is no difference between fallen and unfallen nature in this respect.

Quote:
R:So your contention is that there is no difference between Ellen White’s writings and Jones and Waggoner’s writings. Is this your position?
T: Pray tell me how you conclude from this that I am contending that there is no difference between her writings and Jones and Waggoner's writings. Clearly if she thought Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she could, there had to be differences.

I referred to differences in terms of authority. What I understand you are saying in your reply is not only that Ellen White’s writings weren’t more authoritative than Jones and Waggoner’s, but that their writings on righteousness by faith were in fact better than hers.

Quote:
R: Don’t you think there is a contradiction here? Does the law of heredity, then, in your view, transmit to us a sinful mind, a carnal mind, a neutral mind, or what? We are born with a mind. What kind of mind is it?
T: The law of heredity transmits to us a nature with tendencies to sin.

I want to know about the mind. Are you saying a child is not born with a mind, are you equating mind with nature, or what?

Quote:
T:From this we see that "frown of God" is talking about "condemnation."
R:No, the angel is talking about both the condemnation of sin and the frown of God – two different things, IMO. By the way, what, to you, is a sin of ignorance?
T: This construction Ellen White used is extremely common.

This is true, but it does not necessarily apply in all instances. Anyway, the condemnation which comes when the light is rejected does not mean that there wasn’t any condemnation before. In the case of a sin of ignorance, just the sin is condemned; if light is rejected, the person is condemned. The person is not condemned for sins of ignorance because Christ made provision for them:

In his sufferings and death Jesus has made atonement for all sins of ignorance, but there is no provision made for wilful blindness. ... We shall not be held accountable for the light that has not reached our perception, but for that which we have resisted and refused. A man could not apprehend the truth which had never been presented to him, and therefore could not be condemned for light he had never had. {RH, April 25, 1893 par. 10-12}

Since a baby is born loving what God hates and hating what He loves, the baby is born as a transgressor of God’s law. This is a sin of ignorance.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113515
05/24/09 03:58 AM
05/24/09 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.Regarding the "old guys" disagreement with Donnell, Donnell argued:

a.Christ did not have tendencies to sin, including hereditary tendencies.
b.Our hereditary tendencies need to be eradicated, so we, like Christ, do not have tendencies to sin (the "holy flesh" idea).

To counteract this, the "old guys" argued that Donnell was wrong in his assertions regarding Christ's flesh. As Haskell pointed out, by quoting Ellen White, Christ assumed fallen humanity, with its tendencies to sin.

You're saying that you would agree that Ellen White's statement included what the "old guys" were fighting against if she contested this doesn't make sense. The threads of the whole fabric are, of course, not determined by her mentioning them one by one. We can see that Christology paid a part in the "whole fabric" by simply noticing what Donnell and the "old guys" were arguing about.

2.We agree that you see that you are making the same arguments that Donnell made in regards to tendencies to sin. We disagree in regards to Ellen White's making the same arguments as Donnell. I believe that Ellen White agreed with Prescott, not Donnell, which is why she endorsed Prescott's Christology, rather than Donnell's.

Again I note that you put Donnell and Ellen White on the side of truth, and the "old guys" on the side of error, despite the fact that she said of Donnell's teaching that there was not a "thread of truth" to it, but of the old guy's (Prescott's in particular) that it was "truth separated from error." It's a bit surprising that you don't see a problem with this. You seem to have the idea that the Holy Spirit only worked with Ellen White in regards to Christology (and maybe Donnell, I guess).

3.Your assertion that hereditary tendencies should not be inferred from Ellen White's quote on DA 24 doesn't make sense. She says specifically that Christ took our fallen nature for the very purpose of bearing everything that we have to bear.

4.Are you really asserting there's no difference between being tempted in fallen flesh and in unfallen flesh?

5.Regarding Waggoner's writings being "better" than hers, I didn't say this. I repeated Ellen White's comment that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she could. I agree with her on this point. I also agree with her that the Holy Spirit gave different gifts to her than to Jones and Waggoner. I also agree with her that God gave Jones and Waggoner a special message, and that we should heed that message. To agree with her doesn't denigrate her writings any. I believe, just as she said, that we should, as little children, accept all the light that God has sent our way.

6.Regarding the minds of infants or fetuses, I don't think they are developed to the point to where they can reject light. The mind at this point is very rudimentary. I think newborns are about as smart as cats. Or course, there is vastly more potential in the mind of a newborn human, or 20+ week old fetus, but this potential is yet to be developed.

I don't understand what this has to do with Christology.

7.I think your contention is a baby is born as a transgressor of God's law comes from Original Sin. This isn't something SDA's asserted in the time of Ellen White. I don't think you can find a statement from any SDA asserting this before around 1950.

I also think this is getting off topic.

Again, there are only two differences of opinion I'm aware of in regards to the human nature which Christ assumed. These involve Christ's being tempted from within, and Christ's having hereditary tendencies to sin. One view says that Christ could be tempted without an outside agent being directly involved (such as Satan, or an agent of his), while the other says that Christ wouldn't have been tempted at all if it weren't for Satan and his helpers. One view says Christ had no tendencies to sin at all, even including genetically passed tendencies. The other view says that Christ accepted the workings of the law of heredity, and had the same tendencies common to humanity as far as heredity is concerned (heredity from genetic causes, not pre-natal causes).

I think the positions one takes on this follows from the position one has on Original Sin, or, equivalently, on whether or not one believes that Christ assumed a human nature like ours; "flesh of sin" as Prescott called it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Colin] #113555
05/24/09 09:47 PM
05/24/09 09:47 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
C: How did we get here..., this topic?
R: I'm desmonstrating that Christ could not have obtained our salvation under the covenant of grace. In the covenant of grace obedience (works) has no merit.
C: Before I comment on that, what covenant do you think Christ obtained our salvation under, and where did it come from?

Under a covenant whose terms were like those of the covenant God made with Adam: Obey and live, disobey and die - without any savior. If Christ had disobeyed, nobody could have saved Him.
These, by the way, were also the terms of the old covenant.

Quote:
Works...no merit: are you looking at Christ's obedience, or ours, or both?

Ours, because Christ wasn't under the covenant of grace.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113558
05/24/09 10:00 PM
05/24/09 10:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"--the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law. "This shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts . . . . I will forgive their iniquity, and will remember their sin no more." Jeremiah 31:33, 34.

The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ. (PP 372)

The only part of the New Covenant that doesn't apply to Christ is being forgiven of sin, since He never sinned. But the other points apply. Christ overcame by faith, receiving the grace of God to overcome sin. Of Christ, better than anyone else, it can be said that the law was written in His heart, which is the fundamental point of the New Covenant vs. the Old -- the law written in the heart as opposed to on tables of stone.

The Old Covenant leads to bondage because of unbelief. This certainly doesn't apply to Christ's experience.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113573
05/25/09 12:59 AM
05/25/09 12:59 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The only part of the New Covenant that doesn't apply to Christ is being forgiven of sin, since He never sinned. But the other points apply.

The terms of the old and new covenants are completely different. Under the old covenant, you disobey and die; under the new, you disobey and are forgiven.
Don't you see that the main point of the new covenant is the "savior" part? Without a savior there is no forgiveness. As I said, if Christ had sinned, nobody would have saved Him. Therefore, He couldn't be, and wasn't, under the new covenant.

Quote:
Christ overcame by faith, receiving the grace of God to overcome sin.

Ellen White speaks about the grace of God to renew the heart. This doesn't apply to Christ.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113575
05/25/09 01:17 AM
05/25/09 01:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It seems to me the main point of the New Covenant is having the law written in the heart as opposed to on tables of stone. Let's look at where the New Covenant is first spoken of:

Quote:
33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer. 31:33)

The difference between the Old and the New Covenant have to do with having the law written in the heart vs. being written on tables of stone. This is why the Old Covenant leads to bondage.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113576
05/25/09 01:22 AM
05/25/09 01:22 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
The promise of the new covenant is the law written in the heart as part of the heart renewal, which doesn't apply to Christ. Like Adam, He was already born with the law written in His heart.

Quote:
The difference between the Old and the New Covenant have to do with having the law written in the heart vs. being written on tables of stone. This is why the Old Covenant leads to bondage.

The old covenant merely illustrated the covenant under which every human being is in Adam if s/he doesn't accept the new covenant.

Like the angels, the dwellers in Eden had been placed upon probation; their happy estate could be retained only on condition of fidelity to the Creator's law. They could obey and live, or disobey and perish. {PP 53.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113580
05/25/09 02:43 AM
05/25/09 02:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I take it you don't think the following apply to Christ's experience:

a)Grace.
b)Having the law written in the heart.

Regarding b), I take it you see that Christ statically had the law written in His heart, because of how He was born, but not dynamically, as a part of His experience.

I'm guessing you either don't think Christ overcame by faith, as we do (instead He overcame as unfallen Adam could have), or you don't see any difference in overcoming by faith for unfallen Adam and ourselves.

In short, you seem to see Christ's experience as very different from ours. The only similarities would be that Christ had a physical body somewhat like ours (in that it could become tired, for example) and He could be tempted from some external source, such as Satan or an agent of his (like Adam, before his fall).

I'll be interested in seeing if you disagree with these observations (especially regarding grace).

Reply Quote
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!