HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 81 of 100 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113338
05/19/09 07:42 AM
05/19/09 07:42 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I think an important question as to how the death of the wicked should be viewed, as well as the atonement, is how is it that sin causes death. If sin causes death because it is deadly, then it makes sense that God would do whatever is possible to save us from sin, even to the point of giving us His Son, and allowing Him to suffer the death which is ours. Accepting this premise, it follows that for the wicked to die requires nothing more than God's allowing them to suffer the consequences of sin, which they have determined to cling to. The atonement becomes, in this perspective, the means by which God effects a reconciliation between Himself and man, thus freeing man from sin and the effects of sin.

Otoh, if we view death as something which God arbitrarily causes to happen to those who sin, ("arbitrarily" meaning "manufactured" or "imposed," not "capricious") then that changes completely the dynamics of both the judgment of the wicked and the atonement. A couple of problems I see with this point of view is that it makes sin to be innocuous (except that God doesn't like it), and it doesn't portray God's character in a positive way.

You appear to be alone here on both sides...: sin isn't self-destructive - it merely cannot survive in God's presence for obvious reasons, and grace sustains it in the meantime so it might prove its case.

Your argument about arbitrary actions by God assumes an awful lot that it is meant in your quotes as unfitting for the wicked - human and angel alike, and not to caprice on his part; its primary meaning is judicial discretion in an unlawful manner - that's why there are appeal courts on earth!! Death in hell follows knowledge of the rejection of grace, by the trial of the ages on visual display (the wicked of earth seeing the whole story, after which they bow to Christ): that's judicial procedure, Tom, and fitting punishment for following God's evil adversary - all the facts are known to all humans now too - who rejected it, having heard it before, and that leaves judgement.

That positively upholds God's character, since he is holy, just, merciful, loving and graceous, etc, etc, and the wicked turn from that: here, too, he is just and merciful, giving them due punishment, proportionate to their evil, and actually letting them die to end the torment of unfulfilled dreams.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Colin] #113347
05/19/09 10:06 AM
05/19/09 10:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You appear to be alone here on both sides.

I don't think so. First of all, the thoughts I'm sharing are by no means original. Many of them, if not most, I've picked up from posters on this very forum! Also you should bear in mind that there are many who read posts that don't post. Also if you look through just this thread, you'll see I've not been alone in the thoughts I'm sharing.

Quote:
sin isn't self-destructive - it merely cannot survive in God's presence for obvious reasons, and grace sustains it in the meantime so it might prove its case.

What are the obvious reasons? Also, a correction: Sin is not self-destructive but destroys the one who practices it.

Quote:
Your argument about arbitrary actions by God assumes an awful lot that it is meant in your quotes as unfitting for the wicked - human and angel alike, and not to caprice on his part; its primary meaning is judicial discretion in an unlawful manner

You assert this, Colin, but the evidence simply doesn't support this. There are places where EGW does speak of judicial process and judicial discretion, but DA 764 isn't one of them! Once again, I'll quote the paragraphs:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

There's nothing about caprice here, but tons about the death of the wicked coming about as a result of their own choice.

Quote:
that's why there are appeal courts on earth!!

Why would you think the fact that there is something on earth would be worth one exclamation point, let alone two?

Quote:
Not Like Earthly Governments.--The government of the kingdom of Christ is like no earthly government. It is a representation of the characters of those who compose the kingdom. "Whereunto shall we liken the kingdom of God?" Christ asked, "or with what comparison shall we compare it?" He could find nothing on earth that would serve as a perfect comparison. His court is one where holy love presides, and whose offices and appointments are graced by the exercise of charity.(RH March 19, 1908).

Perhaps wanting to understand the heavenly by means of the earthly is a root of the difficulty with the concepts I'm sharing.

Quote:
Death in hell follows knowledge of the rejection of grace, by the trial of the ages on visual display (the wicked of earth seeing the whole story, after which they bow to Christ): that's judicial procedure, Tom, and fitting punishment for following God's evil adversary - all the facts are known to all humans now too - who rejected it, having heard it before, and that leaves judgement.

You emphasize that the wicked bow to Christ, which you evidently think demonstrates your point, but I would point to this very thing as demonstrating mine. The Great Controversy is all about demonstrating the truth. The wicked bow in recognition of the truth.

Let's take a closer look at the second paragraph from DA 764 cited above:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

Notice this says that had God *left* Satan to reap the full result of his sin, he would have perished, and that God did not do this because the angels would not have understood "this." What is this? Looking at the context immediately preceding, "this" is that Satan's death would have been the result of his having so deformed his character that the presence of God would be a consuming fire to him, and God's glory (which is His character) would have destroyed him. This would have resulted in a seed of doubt arising.

A seed of doubt of what? A seed of doubt that perhaps Satan was right in his accusations against God. In order to defeat these insidious accusations, the truth regarding sin and Satan had to be demonstrated. This Jesus Christ did, especially at the cross. Now, after this demonstration is seen by all (including the wicked, at the judgment) God is able to allow those who have chosen to reject Him to reap the full result of their sin, without their being any seed of doubt involved regarding God's character, neither by those who have accepted, or even by those who have rejected Him (which their bowing to Christ brings out).

Quote:
That positively upholds God's character, since he is holy, just, merciful, loving and graceous, etc, etc, and the wicked turn from that: here, too, he is just and merciful, giving them due punishment, proportionate to their evil, and actually letting them die to end the torment of unfulfilled dreams.

I agree with this, but it should be understood that the punishment is the result of sin, and not something arbitrary which God does to those who sin. Please note again that it is said that had God *left* Satan to reap the full result of his sin he would have perished. What is the punishment of the wicked? It is to be left to reap that which they have sown. This is exactly what DA 764 says, almost a dozen times, one right after the other.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Colin] #113348
05/19/09 10:13 AM
05/19/09 10:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I'm trying to understand what you're saying. It sounds like you're saying that God's presence causes the wicked to suffer, and God ends their suffering by fire, in accordance to how much they've suffered (those who sinned more have to suffer more, because justice requires this). Is this what you're saying?

C:Yes, that's a way of saying it, but I don't hold myself to just that phraseology. You'd like to agree with it, would you?

My, you're not being very cooperative, are you? First I have to ask the question three times to get any answer at all, and then when you do answer, it's not a very satisfactory one. As I've been pointing out, I'm trying to understand what you believe. Rather than simply negatively responding to my posts, it's helpful if you can positively assert what you believe as well.

Regarding your question if I would like to agree with it, no, it's not what I believe, but it's closer than what some others believe, if I understand it, which I'm trying, without much success, to ascertain. If I can find some common ground, that can help in building bridges, which I think would be a good thing.

Ok, let's forget about the above phraseology, and get to the bottom line. What is it that you think will happen? Here's how I'm understanding your thoughts:

1)There is something akin to a session in court where the wicked are on trial.
2)The process of the court causes the wicked suffering.
3)God allows this suffering to continue until the wicked have suffered enough according to the evil they have caused.
4)God ends their suffering by blotting them out with literal fire from heaven.

Is this accurate or not? If it's not, please explain why not. Please feel free not to be held by my phraseology.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Colin] #113349
05/19/09 10:16 AM
05/19/09 10:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
This is somewhat confusing.
I agree that their exclusion from RIGHTEOUSNESS which is the government of heaven was voluntary, but if I read the account correctly, the wicked definitely wanted to take the city of God by force and live in it. They wanted in, but on their own terms not God's.

This is before the truth has been revealed to them. That their exclusion from heaven is voluntary is from GC 543. The pages 541-543 explain why.

Quote:
T:Regarding what I'm emphasizing, it's that the wicked die as a result of their own choice, as opposed to something God arbitrarily does to them. I think this is an extremely important thing to emphasize.

D:What do you mean by "their own choice"?

This is explained by the DA 764 passages I've been quoting.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113353
05/19/09 04:37 PM
05/19/09 04:37 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Well, we're never actually going to agree, here, which I was hinting at.

Judgement day shall come to sit to stop the attack on the New Jerusalem; beforehand the millenium shall have to be enough time to judge the wicked by the saints investigating their records, under Christ's supervision. Thus judgement day is an executive judgement, involving a summary of the case.

That shall produce mental torment, but the "fire from heaven" of Rev 20:9 shall not torment but punish according to records held, and shall end that day with eternal death itself.

Thus, they get the results of sin - knowing they're separated from God, but they are also due the wages of sin as well as the reward according to their works. Rev 20 ends with "the lake of fire", and it shall both destroy the wicked and cleanse the earth itself of sin.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Colin] #113354
05/19/09 04:48 PM
05/19/09 04:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This sounds to me similar to what I believe. The difference I see is you see that what causes the death of the wicked is literal fire, whereas I see that the literal fire purifies the earth (including the wicked as a part of that process), and takes place after the wicked are dead. You appear not to see that the literal fire causes the wicked pain (except momentarily, probably), which I think is very good.

Philosophically, there are more differences between our positions, but in terms of what actually happens, it doesn't seem that we are that far apart.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113355
05/19/09 04:53 PM
05/19/09 04:53 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Sorry, Tom, I don't have time to talk past you endlessly like this, since you are fixed on God not being arbitrary, according to your interpretation of it. Since the wicked choose sin over Jesus, they end up, consciously or by self-deceipt, with God's judgement of condemnation foretold by Jesus in Jn 3, and God upholds his holy justice against sin both by Christ suffering his wrath against sin for the world, and the unrepentant cancelling that grace event and doing it themselves.

The Lord bruized his Suffering Servant - the Lord shall annihilate those who reject his Suffering Servant. There's no argument that sin by its very nature is against and separated from God: God's sovereign right of being judge over sin includes "fire from heaven" and "the lake of fire".

Re: does God punish? [Re: Colin] #113358
05/19/09 06:18 PM
05/19/09 06:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I was just pointing out that if I am understanding you correctly, you aren't far apart in terms of what will happen, although philosophically our positions are quite different, the main philosophical difference it seems to me being what I pointed out earlier regarding sin.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #113604
05/25/09 02:50 PM
05/25/09 02:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you and Colin seem to be worlds apart in your views of the lake of fire. I agree with Colin in that literal fire will be employed in the punishment of sinners at the end of time.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #113610
05/25/09 03:19 PM
05/25/09 03:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think Colin is much closer to my view of things than yours. Here's what we see in common:

1.The wicked make plans to attack the city.
2.God reveals the truth to the wicked, about their lives, their sin, His own character, the times He tried to reach them, etc., and it is their seeing their sin that causes their suffering, which comes by way of mental anguish.
3.Each person suffers in this way in proportion to their own sin, the suffering being causes by the combination of their having sinned and God's revealing the truth to them.
4.The fire that comes down from heaven to destroy the wicked does not cause them suffering

The only difference in our position looks to be that I believe the wicked will be already be dead when the fire comes, whereas Colin believes the fires instantly destroys them while they are still alive.

I asked Colin several times if I was correctly understanding him, and he refused to answer, so the above points are inferences I've made based on his posts, but I think they're correct.

Page 81 of 100 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!