HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113729
05/28/09 07:07 PM
05/28/09 07:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Our knowledge doesn't save us, but our response to the Holy Spirit's pleading can result in our salvation.

D:But you still leave out the fact that we are CREDITED with Christ's dying to our sins, and giving us His righteousness.

This is OK, but I understand this along the lines of what Waggoner explained, not Anselm.

Quote:
T:I explained why the argument was not one of silence. It was based on a quote from the SOP:

D:None of those quotes say there would have been no need for an atonement. All it says is that Lucifer was not immediately cast out, that he was given space to repent. It's still an argument built on silence.

No, it's not. What I said was that the condition for pardon was repentance and submission. This is in the quote.

Quote:
Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 496)

I underlined it to make it easier to see. smile

It would be an argument from silence if there weren't quotes stipulating what the condition for pardon was.

Quote:
T:Since Lucifer understood the character of God, and His goodness, the sacrifice of Christ would have done nothing for him. So he was simply offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission.

D:That is built upon your concept that the wages of sin is not death.

?

I quoted from Ty Gibson, which I'm sure you read. I'll requote from it, the relevant portion to this point:

Quote:
It is commonly thought that the connection between sin and death is imply that if we don’t repent of our sins God will kill us. Often no actual, intrinsic relationship is discerned between sin and death. But even a casual consideration of Scripture on this point persuades us otherwise. Notice just these few examples (quotes Gal. 6:7, 8; Rom. 6:16, 21-23; Rom. 8:6; Rom. 8:13; Prov. 8:36; James 1:15)

You can see that Romans 6:23 is one of the verses quoted, so it's hardly fair to assert I deny this. The wages that *sin* pays is death. It is sin that pays the wages. I've asserted this truth over and over again.

Quote:
D:I'm really not that interested in Fifield.

He is in conflict with scripture and EGW.

Ellen White was interested in Fifield. She had her book that I quoted from as a part of her bedside reading. Have you considered the possibility that you might be in conflict with scripture and EGW, as opposed to Fifield? Just a thought.

Quote:
T:I've never seen this argument presented by anyone but me. If you could provide me with a link to someone else presenting it, I'd certainly like to see it.

D:It was first presented to me when I was a student in an Adventist University, quite a few years back, by a professor who required us to read G. Maxwell's book and another book by some guy whose book I found anything BUT edifying (can't remember his name, which is probably a good thing) -- this isn't the first time I've been exposed to this reasoning -- it's being taught in our higher Educational systems.

I've not heard anyone present it, although I'm not surprised someone else might have thought of it, as it's pretty straight forward to see.

Quote:
When a person builds a whole theology upon a certain premise that premise should rest on KNOWN facts not on SILENCE.

I don't understand why you keep asserting this.

Quote:
Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission.

This is not silence. This says Satan was offered pardon "on condition of repentance and submission." This couldn't be clearer.

Quote:
such as Anslem explained

I have no idea who Anslem even is.
My beliefs don't come from any "Anslem".

If you are ignorant as to who Anselm is, or what he taught, you could hardly know if he was the origin of your beliefs or not. Not unless you could show that Anselm got his beliefs from some common ancestor (common ancestor to your beliefs and his)

Quote:
I gave you SCRIPTURE that clearly point out the meaning of the scrificial system, you skipped over them as if they were written by Anslem??????

What Scripture are you thinking of? You quoted several. There are no Scriptures that affirm that Christ's sacrifice was for the purpose of enabling God to be able to pardon.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113730
05/28/09 07:27 PM
05/28/09 07:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In the sacrificial offering, offered by the Jews, was seen a symbol of Christ, whose blood was to be shed for the salvation of the world. In the sacrificial system the truth of the atonement was to be impressed upon the world, that all might know that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. Many have wondered why it was that God appointed so many sacrifices in the old dispensation; but it was to teach the world in ever-bleeding sacrifices concerning Christ, the victim of man's transgressions. The offering for sin was a most solemn, sacred offering, and was placed upon the altar with impressive ceremony, and every detail was explained by the priest to the people, that they might understand that the Son of God was to be made an offering for their sins. This is the central truth of the plan of salvation, and it should be often repeated in the hearing of both believers and unbelievers. {ST, August 28, 1893 par. 8}.

This is a fine quote, but there's nothing in here about God's needing a sacrifice to be able to pardon.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

This quote says the "whole purpose" of Christ's earthly mission (which must include His death) was "to set men right through the revelation of God."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113738
05/29/09 02:04 AM
05/29/09 02:04 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Yes, we NEED to die to sin, but

We don't just die to sin by "appreciation".
It takes more than that.
We need to accept the fact that Christ credits His death to our sin as our death to sin, or we will never experience "living in newness of life" with Him.

There's no way this can be true. I'll demonstrate this a couple of different ways. First of all, let's look again at the DA statement:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175-176)

Oh, but it is true PRAISE THE LORD.

Christ took our sins upon Himself and became sin for us and died the death penalty in our place.

Why do you think a "snake" was placed on that pole.
The Bible is explicite as to what the "serpent" symbolizes.

Originally Posted By: from EGW
PP431 "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so was the Son of man "lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. All who have ever lived upon the earth have felt the deadly sting of "that old serpent, called the devil, and Satan." Revelation 12:9. The fatal effects of sin can be removed only by the provision that God has made. The Israelites saved their lives by looking upon the uplifted serpent. That look implied faith. They lived because they believed God's word, and trusted in the means provided for their recovery. So the sinner may look to Christ, and live. He receives pardon through faith in the atoning sacrifice.

Israel had sinned and were dying -- the poisonous serpents rightly represented Satan and his demons filling them with the poison of distrust and sin.

Why would Moses lift up a brazen serpent?
Because CHRIST BECAME SIN FOR US and died in our place,
AND BY ACCEPTING THAT we live!

Originally Posted By: by EGW
What a strange symbol of Christ was that likeness of the serpents which stung them. This symbol was lifted on a pole, and they were to look to it, and be healed. So Jesus was made in the likeness of sinful flesh. He came as the sin-bearer. . . . {SD 222.2}

As the sting of the serpent was certain death, unless the sufferer would avail himself of the remedy provided; so, also, is sin deadly in its effects, unless men look unto Christ, and believe in the merits of his blood.{ST, October 28, 1880 par. 17}

Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them shall live in them.
3:13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree:

When a person refuses to accept Christ's death to sin as their death, when they refuse Christ's merits, then they are attempting to be saved by their own merits in their own rightoeusness.

Gal. 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; you are fallen from grace.
5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

You see -- I don't disagree with you that we need to look to Jesus, to KNOW Him in a personal way, through study, prayer etc.

I don't disagree with you that God's great love draws us to Him.

I don't disagree with you that we are to live AS sons and daughters of God in obedience to His will.

I don't disagree with you that our lives must be cleansed and brought into harmony with God's will.

But we MUST RECOGNIZE that it is never OUR righteousness that grants us salvation, we must accept Christ's righteousness. We must accept Christ's atoning death FOR OUR SINS, for there is no forgiveness anyway else.

1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Heb. 19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, 20 saying, “This is the blood of the covenant which God has commanded you.” 21 Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry. 22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.

23 Therefore it was necessary that the copies of the things in the heavens should be purified with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ has not entered the holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 not that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood of another— 26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. 27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, 28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

Romans 4:25 (Christ) Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Ephesians 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he has made us accepted in the beloved.
1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113739
05/29/09 02:25 AM
05/29/09 02:25 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
God revealed to Moses that through a sin offering the guilt of sin could be taken away.

“For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life” (Lev. 17:11).

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113740
05/29/09 02:39 AM
05/29/09 02:39 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
God revealed to Moses that through a sin offering the guilt of sin could be taken away.

“For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life” (Lev. 17:11).

Lev. 4:17 And the priest shall dip his finger in some of the blood, ....
4:20 And he shall do with the bullock as he did with the bullock for a sin offering, so shall he do with this: and the priest shall make an atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them.
Lev. 4:25 And the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering with his finger,...
4:26 ...and the priest shall make an atonement for him as concerning his sin, and it shall be forgiven him.

4:35 ...and the priest shall burn them upon the altar, according to the offerings made by fire unto the LORD: and the priest shall make an atonement for his sin that he hath committed, and it shall be forgiven him.

Lev. 5:6 And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD for his sin which he hath sinned, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his sin.

Lev. 5:9 And he shall sprinkle of the blood of the sin offering upon the side of the altar; and the rest of the blood shall be wrung out at the bottom of the altar: it [is] a sin offering.

5:10 And he shall offer the second for a burnt offering, according to the manner: and the priest shall make an atonement for him for his sin which he hath sinned, and it shall be forgiven him.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113742
05/29/09 03:41 AM
05/29/09 03:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Christ took our sins upon Himself and became sin for us and died the death penalty in our place.

The Bible is explicit as to what the "serpent" symbolizes.

I think you may not have understood what "it" is. Here's what you said:

Quote:
It takes more than that.
We need to accept the fact that Christ credits His death to our sin as our death to sin, or we will never experience "living in newness of life" with Him.

The last sentence is what I was demonstrating cannot be true. There are many who are saved who do not have the idea that "Christ credits His death to our sin as our death to sin," many who would have no clue as to what this even meant. No way is it necessary to accept this fact to experience living in newness of life. There are no inspired statements that suggest this.

The serpent question is an interesting one. The common idea is that the serpent on the pole represents sin. I have a friend who thinks the serpent on the pole was actually crushed, a la Gen. 3:15, and that the representation was one of the serpent being crushed by Satan. I know we have a mental image of the cadusis symbol, but I'm not aware of anything in inspiration to back that up.

Regarding what the snake being lifted up represented:

Quote:
The same healing, life-giving message is now sounding. It points to the uplifted Saviour upon the shameful tree. Those who have been bitten by that old serpent, the devil, are bidden to look and live. . . . Look alone to Jesus as your righteousness and your sacrifice. As you are justified by faith, the deadly sting of the serpent will be healed. (Sons and Daughters of God, page 222;ellipses original)

The lifting up of the snake pointed to the healing that one would receive from its deadly bite through Christ. Sin is like poison, killing its victim. By beholding Christ, we are healed from its deadly sting.

Quote:
Israel had sinned and were dying -- the poisonous serpents rightly represented Satan and his demons filling them with the poison of distrust and sin.

This is right! Sin is a poison that kills us. As such, it's hardly necessary for God to do something additional to punish those who do it. This would make about as much sense as punishing someone for taking deadly poison by burning him.

Once we understand that sin is lethal, everything falls into place. This is the point Ty Gibson was making.

Quote:
Please not the recurring point in the preceding verses:
• Through Christ we receive “atonement”; we are made one with God.
• The purpose of the substitutionary death of Christ is to “bring us to God”; not Him to us. God has demonstrated His reconciled position toward us in Christ.
• Through sin we have gone “astray”; but through the sacrifice of Christ we “are not returned” to God.
• The love of Christ, revealed in His death, causes us to cease living for self and to start living for Him; we are reestablished in the circle of selfless, other-centered love through the atoning death of Christ….

The circle of selfless, other-centered love is what Ellen White refers to as "the law of life for the universe" in the first chapter of "The Desire of Ages."

Quote:

No, not by accepting that, but by accepting Him.

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul.(DA 176)

"His love is drawing us to Himself." It is Christ that heals us, not believing is some specific theory of the atonement.

Quote:
But we MUST RECOGNIZE that it is never OUR righteousness that grants us salvation, we must accept Christ's righteousness.

We receive Christ's righteousness by receiving Him. He is "the Lord our righteousness." We don't need to adhere to some specific view of the atonement to receive Him.

Quote:
We must accept Christ's atoning death FOR OUR SINS, for there is no forgiveness anyway else.

We don't have to hold to some specific view of the atonement to do this. The love of God shining from the cross leads us to repentance. If we respond, God saves us; it's as simple as that. There's no need for some specific theology on the atonement to do this:

Quote:
13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other. (Luke 18)

Quote:

which means just what DA 176 lays out.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113743
05/29/09 03:55 AM
05/29/09 03:55 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

This just begs the question as to how the blood atones. You don't think it's the literal blood of Christ that takes away our sin, do you? It's not that Christ is in heaven, with several pints of His actual blood. That the blood takes away sin represents spiritual truth, which is the subject of our conversation.

The very verse gives us a clue as to the meaning. It says that the life is in the blood. The significance of the blood is that it represents that life. Christ gave Himself for us. He died for our sins. That's what the blood represents.

So how does Christ's giving His life for us save us? It does so by drawing us to God.

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

By beholding God's character, we are brought back to Him. From ST 1/20/90 we see that the whole purpose of Christ's earthly mission was the revelation of God that we might be set right with God. If we are right with God, we don't need anything else.

Regarding the verses in Leviticus, these verses were around for many centuries without a soul on the planet ascribing the meaning you are to them.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113745
05/29/09 04:37 AM
05/29/09 04:37 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
How could one man die for the sins of millions?

The answer:
One created man couldn't, for no created being, not even an exalted angel could have taken that penalty and offered justification to all who come in repentance.

But the ONE Who created and sustains those millions can.

John 1:3 [Christ, the Word) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of God's glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power,....

So the ONE WHO created mankind, gives life to them, sustains them, He alone can take their sins upon Himself and die for them.

He is responsible for their very existance, He can take the penalty for their transgression.

Originally Posted By: from EGW
"By pledging His own life Christ has made Himself responsible for every man and woman on the earth. He stands in the presence of God, saying, "Father, I take upon Myself the guilt of that soul. It means death to him if he is left to bear it. If he repents he shall be forgiven. My blood shall cleanse him from all sin. I gave My life for the sins of the world." {HP 42.5}

This is also a revealation of God's character, it is not in opposition to it. For only love would put aside His glorious existance, take on humanity to open a way for mankind to to be restored! If God were vengeful he would merely have wiped out the rebellion and started over again, not offered to take the penalty upon Himself!

THAT IS THE ISSUE -- CHRIST TOOK OUR PENALTY so we could partake of His righteousness.

It's DEFINITELY NOT against our need to accept Christ in our lives in order to be saved -- of course WE NEED TO ACCEPT CHRIST, we need to accept HIM and HIS MERITS, and HIS death in our place, and His resurrection. "There is no other name by which we must be saved."

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,
2 Cor. 5:21 For he has made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Isaiah 53:6,8 ..the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all... for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

Yet, if Christ had remained in the tomb, all would still be lost.

1 Cor. 15:17 But if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; you are yet in your sins.
15:18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

Romans 4:25 (Christ) was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

6:1 Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Now Christ is in the heavenly sanctuary, which He entered WITH HIS OWN BLOOD to minister as High Priest.

Hebrews 8:1 Now...We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
8:2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
8:3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

Heb. 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
1:3 when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Heb. 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever lives to make intercession for them.

Originally Posted By: EGW
God is approached through Jesus Christ, the Mediator, the only way through which He forgives sins. God cannot forgive sins at the expense of His justice, His holiness, and His truth. But He does forgive sins and that fully. There are no sins He will not forgive in and through the Lord Jesus Christ. This is the sinner's only hope, and if he rests here in sincere faith, he is sure of pardon and that full and free. There is only one channel and that is accessible to all, and through that channel a rich and abundant forgiveness awaits the penitent, contrite soul and the darkest sins are forgiven. These lessons were taught to the chosen people of God thousands of years ago, and repeated in various symbols and figures, that the work of truth might be riveted in every heart, that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. . . . Justice demanded the sufferings of man; but Christ rendered the sufferings of a God. He needed no atonement of suffering for Himself; [He had no sin of His own] all His sufferings were for us; all His merits and holiness were open to fallen man, presented as a gift. {FLB 102.4}

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113746
05/29/09 04:41 AM
05/29/09 04:41 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The significance of the blood is that it represents that life. Christ gave Himself for us. He died for our sins. That's what the blood represents.

So how does Christ's giving His life for us save us? It does so by drawing us to God.

You still ignore the part that Christ took upon HIMSELF our sins, and died in our place. His death makes forgiveness possible. His resurrection brings justification.
Your concepts are only HALF of the picture.

Last edited by dedication; 05/29/09 04:42 AM.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113747
05/29/09 05:00 AM
05/29/09 05:00 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:

The Bible is explicit as to what the "serpent" symbolizes.

I think you may not have understood what "it" is. Here's what you said:

Quote:
It takes more than that.

The last sentence is what I was demonstrating cannot be true. There are many who are saved who do not have the idea that "Christ credits His death to our sin as our death to sin," many who would have no clue as to what this even meant. No way is it necessary to accept this fact to experience living in newness of life. There are no inspired statements that suggest this.

The serpent question is an interesting one. The common idea is that the serpent on the pole represents sin. I have a friend who thinks the serpent on the pole was actually crushed, a la Gen. 3:15, and that the representation was one of the serpent being crushed by Satan. I know we have a mental image of the cadusis symbol, but I'm not aware of anything in inspiration to back that up.

Regarding what the snake being lifted up represented:

Quote:
The same healing, life-giving message is now sounding. It points to the uplifted Saviour upon the shameful tree. Those who have been bitten by that old serpent, the devil, are bidden to look and live. . . . Look alone to Jesus as your righteousness and your sacrifice. As you are justified by faith, the deadly sting of the serpent will be healed. (Sons and Daughters of God, page 222;ellipses original)

The lifting up of the snake pointed to the healing that one would receive from its deadly bite through Christ. Sin is like poison, killing its victim. By beholding Christ, we are healed from its deadly sting.

Quote:

This is right! Sin is a poison that kills us. As such, it's hardly necessary for God to do something additional to punish those who do it. This would make about as much sense as punishing someone for taking deadly poison by burning him.

Once we understand that sin is lethal, everything falls into place. This is the point Ty Gibson was making.

Quote:
Please not the recurring point in the preceding verses:
• Through Christ we receive “atonement”; we are made one with God.
• The purpose of the substitutionary death of Christ is to “bring us to God”; not Him to us. God has demonstrated His reconciled position toward us in Christ.
• Through sin we have gone “astray”; but through the sacrifice of Christ we “are not returned” to God.
• The love of Christ, revealed in His death, causes us to cease living for self and to start living for Him; we are reestablished in the circle of selfless, other-centered love through the atoning death of Christ….

The circle of selfless, other-centered love is what Ellen White refers to as "the law of life for the universe" in the first chapter of "The Desire of Ages."

Quote:

No, not by accepting that, but by accepting Him.

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul.(DA 176)

"His love is drawing us to Himself." It is Christ that heals us, not believing is some specific theory of the atonement.

Quote:
But we MUST RECOGNIZE that it is never OUR righteousness that grants us salvation, we must accept Christ's righteousness.

We receive Christ's righteousness by receiving Him. He is "the Lord our righteousness." We don't need to adhere to some specific view of the atonement to receive Him.

Quote:
We must accept Christ's atoning death FOR OUR SINS, for there is no forgiveness anyway else.

We don't have to hold to some specific view of the atonement to do this. The love of God shining from the cross leads us to repentance. If we respond, God saves us; it's as simple as that. There's no need for some specific theology on the atonement to do this:

Quote:
13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other. (Luke 18)

Quote:

which means just what DA 176 lays out.

yes! yes! yes! that is what was missing!! ive been reading various articles by egw tonight and they are so full of Jesus. it is studying all that Christ has done for us, from coming down from heaven to the cross that saves us if we surrender/submit to Him.

cold, dry presentations of symbols and theories do not, can not touch the heart. they dont show us anything better than ourselves. they dont show us how far superior God is to us and how far, so very far, we miss the mark!!

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!