HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113701
05/27/09 05:41 PM
05/27/09 05:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think Christ's experience was like ours, except that He never participated in sin. However, Christ bore our sin, which allowed Him to share in our experiences, which is born out in the Psalms. For example:

Quote:
7Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

8I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

9I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest.

10I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

11Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.

12For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me. (Ps. 40)

Basically (setting aside character) your theology has Christ and His experiences being as unlike ours as is possible, whereas mine is the reverse, which explains our respective emphases.

It's interesting that you could read something like Prescott's sermon and think you agree with it, when he was doing the same thing as I; emphasizing that Christ's experience was as like ours as possible. To do this, he emphasized over two dozen times that Christ took flesh (or a nature) like ours. As you point out, in your theology, this doesn't matter, as you see Adam's experience, in regards to temptation, before the fall as no different than ours. Yet Prescott (and the other "old guys") emphasized over and over again that Christ took our fallen nature so He could be tempted as we are. If there were no difference in our temptations due to having sinful flesh, such an emphasis would have been totally out of place.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113734
05/28/09 09:37 PM
05/28/09 09:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Yes, and what is your thought? That Christ needed his heart to be renewed and the law to be written in it, like us? Or that He was born with a holy heart and with the law written in it, like Adam?
T: I think Christ's experience was like ours, except that He never participated in sin.

So you think that Christ needed his heart to be renewed and the law written in it, like us? And at what point did this happen?

About the fact that Adam was placed under law:

"In the beginning God placed man under law, as an indispensable condition of his very existence. He was a subject of the divine government, and there can be no government without law." {ST, July 23, 1902 par. 8}

God, the great governor of the universe, has put everything under law. The tiny flower and the towering oak, the grain of sand and the mighty ocean, sunshine and shower, wind and rain, all obey nature's laws. But man has been placed under a higher law. He has been given an intellect to see, and a conscience to feel, the powerful claims of God's great moral law, the expression of what He desires His children to be. {ST, July 31, 1901 par. 1}

This can't mean "under the condemnation of the law."

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113735
05/28/09 10:32 PM
05/28/09 10:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
So you think that Christ needed his heart to be renewed and the law written in it, like us? And at what point did this happen?

God's mercies are new every morning. He didn't need it because of His sinning, of course, but He took our sinful nature and bore our sins. I don't think that Christ's experience was static, but I think He learned and grew.

Quote:
About the fact that Adam was placed under law:

"In the beginning God placed man under law, as an indispensable condition of his very existence. He was a subject of the divine government, and there can be no government without law." {ST, July 23, 1902 par. 8}

God, the great governor of the universe, has put everything under law. The tiny flower and the towering oak, the grain of sand and the mighty ocean, sunshine and shower, wind and rain, all obey nature's laws. But man has been placed under a higher law. He has been given an intellect to see, and a conscience to feel, the powerful claims of God's great moral law, the expression of what He desires His children to be. {ST, July 31, 1901 par. 1}

This can't mean "under the condemnation of the law."

This is apples and oranges. You responded to Colin:

Quote:
C:Yes, Christ wasn't really under the salvivic covenant of Abraham, since he is Saviour, but since he is the Son of man, he did live under it's terms, since he was born of a woman, born under the law.

R:Colin, as I see it, Christ is Saviour as both God and man. And Adam was also born under the law, but the pre-fall covenant wasn't a covenant of grace.

Adam was not born "under the law" in the sense that Christ was born "under the law" in Galatians 4:4. "Under the law" in Gal. 4:4 means the same thing as "under the law" in Romans 6:15.

Also, Ellen White didn't say that Adam was "under the law" but that he was "placed under law," and similarly for us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113775
05/29/09 07:45 PM
05/29/09 07:45 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: So you think that Christ needed his heart to be renewed and the law written in it, like us? And at what point did this happen?
T: God's mercies are new every morning. He didn't need it because of His sinning, of course, but He took our sinful nature and bore our sins. I don't think that Christ's experience was static, but I think He learned and grew.

This happens at our conversion/new birth, that is, at a specific point in time.
And what makes you think that Adam's experience was static and that he didn't learn and grow?

Quote:
Adam was not born "under the law" in the sense that Christ was born "under the law" in Galatians 4:4. "Under the law" in Gal. 4:4 means the same thing as "under the law" in Romans 6:15.

This is your/Waggoner's opinion, which is different from what Ellen White says. Ellen White nowhere says that Christ was under the law in the sense of being condemned by the law, but she does say that when He came in human form He became subject to the law. This is more than clear.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113778
05/29/09 08:13 PM
05/29/09 08:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
This happens at our conversion/new birth, that is, at a specific point in time.

It happens throughout our lives. Morning by morning new mercies we receive. Justification is not a one time thing.

Quote:
And what makes you think that Adam's experience was static and that he didn't learn and grow?

Adam didn't need grace before he sinned. I meant that Christ learned and grew in grace. Adam learned and grew, of course, as the redeemed will in the new earth, but his unfallen experience was very unlike ours. I believe Christ's experience was like ours (not like unfallen Adam's), with the caveat, of course, that Christ, unlike us, never committed sin. However, Christ, bearing our sins, as well as our sinful flesh, needed grace to overcome, as we do.

Quote:
T:Adam was not born "under the law" in the sense that Christ was born "under the law" in Galatians 4:4. "Under the law" in Gal. 4:4 means the same thing as "under the law" in Romans 6:15.

R:This is your/Waggoner's opinion, which is different from what Ellen White says.

No it's not. Ellen White endorsed Waggoner on the law in Galatians (See 1SM 234, 235.) Gal. 4:4 follows from Waggoner's view of the law in Galatians.

Have you read "The Gospel in Galatians"? This is available online. http://dedication.www3.50megs.com/1888/waggonerbutler_twolaws3.html

This pamphlet was passed out to the disciples in 1888. People often wonder what was taught there. By reading this pamphlet, one can get an idea, putting themselves in the delegates place, in a manner of speaking, and seeing what it was that Ellen White got so excited about.

Starting from the point of view that the law in Galatians is primarily the moral law, Waggoner's positions logically follow, as he explains in the pamphlet. Unfortunately, your reasoning is usually the same as Butler's on the points we discuss, and contrary to Waggoner's. You're on the wrong side, just like like with Donnell/Haskell.

Quote:
Ellen White nowhere says that Christ was under the law in the sense of being condemned by the law, but she does say that when He came in human form He became subject to the law. This is more than clear.

Ellen White didn't do a commentary on Galations. That she didn't comment on this specific verse in a theological way isn't even worth mentioning. You treat her like she was a Bible Commentary, as if our understanding of Scripture depends upon her commenting on some verse. This wasn't her role, and she never claimed it.

Ellen White affirmed the same truths that Waggoner brings out in his exposition of Gal. 4:4, which are:

1)Christ bore our sins His whole life.
2)Christ came in our sinful flesh.

That Christ became a human being is of course clear. I'm glad Ellen White said this, so you can believe it. smile

That Christ was subject to the law is also true, even in the sense the Jews are, since He was a Jew. However, this has nothing to do with what Paul is saying in Gal. 4:4.

One more comment regarding Waggoner's "opinion," it wasn't simply an "opinion," but a well-reasoned argument. Waggoner explained why "under the law" in Gal. 4:4 means what it does.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Tom] #113793
05/29/09 11:37 PM
05/29/09 11:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
It happens throughout our lives. Morning by morning new mercies we receive. Justification is not a one time thing.

The continuous work of conversion in our lives follows the one-time event of conversion/new birth, which happens at a point in time. So, was Christ born again? In this case, when? Is it your contention that He needed daily conversion, like us?

Quote:
Adam didn't need grace before he sinned. I meant that Christ learned and grew in grace.

Hadn’t you said that he needed grace before sinning? Is this the same grace that Christ needed, or did Christ need saving grace, like us?

Quote:
Ellen White endorsed Waggoner on the law in Galatians

I’m not going to comment about that, for you already know my opinion.

Quote:
Ellen White didn't do a commentary on Galations. That she didn't comment on this specific verse in a theological way isn't even worth mentioning. You treat her like she was a Bible Commentary, as if our understanding of Scripture depends upon her commenting on some verse. This wasn't her role, and she never claimed it.

For her comment to be "theological," what do you think she should say? Something like: "I'm now going to comment theologically on verse..."? That there is a clear reference to the verse in question is evident.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Sin [Re: Rosangela] #113799
05/30/09 02:57 AM
05/30/09 02:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The continuous work of conversion in our lives follows the one-time event of conversion/new birth, which happens at a point in time.

There's no reason to think conversion is a one time event. Just as one example, a person can be converted, fall away, and be re-converted. Also, this doesn't matter to the point I was making, which was that the law being written in our heart is not a one time thing, as you said.

Quote:
So, was Christ born again? In this case, when? Is it your contention that He needed daily conversion, like us?

Like us in the sense that He bore our sins and bore our sinful nature. Of course Christ never sinned, so He didn't need it for that reason.

Regarding Christ being born again, one needs to choose one words carefully (which we should do when talking about Christ at any time). When we are born again, we become a partaker of the divine nature. There was never a time when Christ was not a partaker of the divine nature, so if we consider born again as meaning being a partaker of the divine nature, being a child of God, there was never a time when this did not apply to Christ, once He was incarnated.

Quote:
Hadn’t you said that he needed grace before sinning?

No.

Quote:
Is this the same grace that Christ needed, or did Christ need saving grace, like us?

I was using "grace" as you use the term.

Reply Quote
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!