HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger #113686
05/27/09 10:48 AM
05/27/09 10:48 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Jeff Pippenger is a diligent bible student. In the last 10 or more years he's applied some prophecies in Daniel and Revelation to our time. Recently he's applied the third woe/seventh trumpet of Revelation 11:15 to our day. http://www.thelatterrainisnow.com/thirdwoe.html. Is he using right principles of interpretation?

Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Charity] #113704
05/27/09 06:02 PM
05/27/09 06:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's something from his site:

Quote:
Ellen White says that an angry horse represents radical Islam, and that the four winds represent an angry horse. "Angels are holding the four winds, represented as an angry horse seeking to break loose and rush over the face of the whole earth, bearing destruction and death in its path." {20MR 217.1}. Thus radical Islam is represented by an angry horse and by the four winds (NB: The four winds also represent natural disasters).

I don't see how he gets from this that Ellen White says that an angry horse represents radical Islam. I couldn't find anywhere in Ellen White's writings that this was suggested.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Tom] #113705
05/27/09 06:11 PM
05/27/09 06:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I notice he is looking to apply prophecies to 9/11. I think this is a big mistake. Back in the late 30's/early 40's SDA's thought the coming of Christ was near because of Adolph Hitler. When JFK became the first Catholic president, there were SDA's thinking Christ's coming was near because of that. Many example of this could be given, but the SOP tells us as early as 1858 I think that "Christ could have come 'ere this." She says that Christ was bitterly disappointed that He could not come around the time the latter rain was being poured out in 1888 and thereafter. (I think this was 1903). It would hardly make sense for Christ to be disappointed if 9/11/2001 is prophesied in Scripture -- surely Christ would have known that.

Quote:
An unwillingness to yield up preconceived opinions, and to accept this truth, lay at the foundation of a large share of the opposition manifested at Minneapolis against the Lord's message through Brethren [E.J.] Waggoner and [A.T.] Jones. By exciting that opposition Satan succeeded in shutting away from our people, in a great measure, the special power of the Holy Spirit that God longed to impart to them. The enemy prevented them from obtaining that efficiency which might have been theirs in carrying the truth to the world, as the apostles proclaimed it after the day of Pentecost. The light that is to lighten the whole earth with its glory was resisted, and by the action of our own brethren has been in a great degree kept away from the world. (1SM 234, 5)

The real reason for Christ's delay doesn't have to do with 9/11 or any other prophecy not being fulfilled, but with the rejection of the light which God gave to lighten the earth with glory. Rev. 18:1 (which Ellen White references here) is "that other angel," the loud cry of the third angel. Christ would have come very shortly had the message been heeded instead of rejected, and His coming will be very soon whenever the acceptance of this light takes place.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Tom] #113706
05/27/09 06:12 PM
05/27/09 06:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
His application of multiple fulfillments is interesting. As I recall, Desmond Ford used a similar technique in his book "Daniel," but I'm not familiar enough with it to say how much the techniques used are similar or different.

Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Tom] #113712
05/28/09 12:29 AM
05/28/09 12:29 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Well, those are certianly things to consider. I'll try to make a few observations, maybe on Sabbath, on the methods he's using. One good thing about him - he stimulates my thinking.

By the way, I've been listening to David Fiedler's sermons from the 2008 GYC on 1888. He's a bit glib, but overall he has a good analysis. I agree with a lot of what he says - most of it.

Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Charity] #113715
05/28/09 03:09 AM
05/28/09 03:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Have you read any Were? I don't know if I have any "soft print" of his. I'll see if I can get some if you'd like. I think he has a very solid framework for studying prophecy; I can't think of anyone with a better one. It's very Christocentric and Gospel focussed.

Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Tom] #113741
05/29/09 03:30 AM
05/29/09 03:30 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Yes I've read some of Were. I think what I read was from the 1950's. I thought it was good.

I should point out that the site I linked to is anonymous. Jeff Pippenger almost certianly did not publish it. But I linked to it because it mirrors his teaching well and summarizes it. A lot of what Jeff presents is complex. This site is a good simplification. I don't endorse the contents. I question some of the methods he uses and his conclusions. But I enjoy reading any prophetic study that challenges my views and causes me to look at things from another angle and modify them.

Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Charity] #113744
05/29/09 03:57 AM
05/29/09 03:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But I enjoy reading any prophetic study that challenges my views and causes me to look at things from another angle and modify them.

Looking at things from different angles and having our thinking challenged is definitely helpful.

Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Tom] #113844
05/30/09 09:30 PM
05/30/09 09:30 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Yes, Pippenger is saying that 9/11 was the beginning of the fulfilment of the third woe of Rev 11:14-19:
Quote:
11:14 The second woe is past; [and], behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become [the kingdoms] of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
11:16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,
11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

More than this, in a nut shell, Pippenger is also saying that the sealing, the latter rain, and the judgment of the living for Adventists started on 9/11. He comes to that conclusion by a combination of applying what he calls the 'triple application principle' to the Bible prophecy and by putting together statements of Ellen White that do seem to associate the latter rain, the sealing and the judgment of the living together and by applying them to the Loud Cry message of Revelation 18:1-3. There is at least one statement from Sister White that can be interpreted to read that when skyscrappers in New York City fall, the Loud Cry will be given. Pippenger puts that statement together with her others to say that since the Twin Towers fell on 9/11, and since they were brought down by radial Islamic extremists, the Loud Cry began on that date and by association the other events - the sealing, latter rain and judgment of the living - did too. I agree with associating the Loud Cry, sealing, latter rain and judgment of the living together, but is it valid 1) to pin them to the 3rd woe of Revelation 11, and 2) is it valid to make 9/11 the fulfilment of the third woe?

Going back to his 'triple application principle', if you view some of his videos you can see that he has found several parallels in first, second and third applications of prophecies. Much of what he says is interesting and the result of careful observation. It's been a while since I looked at them so I can't recall many of the details, but I remember thinking that some of the connections he was making were remote/doubtful, and/or strained the meaning or context of the text. His logic is good, but if the connections he's making are not well founded to begin with, the logic isn't helpful in arriving at the conclusion.

A while after the fall of communism and the Berlin Wall, Pippenger got the attention of many conservative Adventists with his application of that event to Daniel 11:40:
Quote:
11:40 And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over.
He said that the King of the South was communism and that in 1989, the King of the North, the Papacy allied with the USA, overthrew it. At that time and up to now, Pippenger says that we will see the rest of chapter 11 fulfilled shortly. And in the big picture, I'm sure he's right. But was he right in applying that text to the fall of communism?

Re: Bible Study Method's - Methods used by Jeff Pippenger [Re: Charity] #113848
05/30/09 09:59 PM
05/30/09 09:59 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Personally, I think Elder Pippenger is mistaken on both interpretations - the 1989 fall of communism in Daniel 11 and the fall of the Twin Towers as the third woe of Revelation 11. But the more important issues are 1) where did he go wrong and 2), especially, where is he partly right. Recall that William Miller made major mistakes as well, but God used him in a mighty way regardless.

The same may be true of Brother Jeff. What I'm thinking of in particular is that fact that we Adventists, for the last 165 years have believed that the judgment of God and of the living is at some unknown time based on Ellen Whites statement that soon, none know how soon, the judgment will turn to the cases of the living. But we've ignored her equally inspired statements that today 'God is measuring you'. . . etc. For many years I've been convicted and told others that yes, the judgment of the living is going on individually. The scripture says judgment begins with us, the household of God. For those who have the light of the full gospel, that Christ can deliver from sin fully, the judgment is here friends. And, it's good news. Christ is our saviour and our Righteousness. Overall, that's that more important message and personally, I'm glad to see that Pippenger's message is having an impact.

Regarding where he's gone wrong, I'd say it seems like his initial misapplication of Daniel 11 was caused by the straight jacket that conservative Adventists put on reapplications of prophecy. Over the last four or so decades, Hope International and similar well meaning ministries stiffled open-minded investigation of the scriptures by doggedly following "Historic" interpretations of prophecy. Pippenger was affected by that closed environment. And that initial misapplication of Daniel 11 has lead to his current ones. But his conclusion that the latter rain is current reality and that we live in the sealing, judgment hour - in my view, those are timely, awsome, present truthes. God speed to you, Brother Jeff.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!