HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 44 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Green Cochoa] #103805
10/19/08 08:13 AM
10/19/08 08:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom,

I'll admit that I assumed you would be able to understand the "leap" I presented. I was wrong.

Do you mean you think I'm too stupid to understand your leap of logic? Or that you didn't do a very good job of presenting it?

Your argument is circular, since you are assuming throughout it the very thing you are to prove! To prove you the legal framework you are suggesting is Scripture, you need to present an argument from Scripture! Not just present a series of steps which assumes your legal framework is valid.

When you speak of the law requiring death, do you have in mind the first or second death?

Quote:
When Paul says we are not under the law, he is meaning that we are not under THE PENALTY OF the law.

I would say he means the condemnation of the law (this is what Waggoner taught). Do you see this as meaning the same thing as what you said?

Quote:
That "believe on his name" part is no small trifle. "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" Acts 4:12

Why is His name so important? For the simple reason that Jesus is the only one who died as the law requires, yet being perfect and not deserving of that debt, so that we could accept His sacrifice in our stead. To "believe on His name" implies an acceptance of His sacrifice in our behalf.

"Name" in Scripture means "character." "To believe on His name" means to accept His teachings. Where did Jesus teach what you are asserting?

Quote:
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh to the Father but by me." It is my firm conviction that this means Enoch, Moses, and Elijah also could not have come to God but through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus.

This is certainly true. I don't disagree with this assertion, but with the reasoning behind it.

Here is a statement by EGW:

Quote:
But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

This brings out that man could be drawn back to God by a revelation of His character. This agrees with EGW's statement here:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

The "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was the revelation of God's character for the purpose of setting man right with God, or bringing man to God, as Peter puts it.

Here is some background to the problem:

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. (DA 21)

In order to win homage to himself, Satan misrepresented God's character. This is how man was deceived, and estranged from God. Thus in order for man to be reconciled, this deception must be undone. Hence the revelation of God was the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission.

Once we see the problem, it's easy to grasp the solution. The problem was man was deceived in regards to God's character and did not know His love. The solution was Jesus Christ!

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (ibid)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103825
10/20/08 04:36 AM
10/20/08 04:36 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
Right. So while Christ's death was part of the revelation of God's character to man, it is possible that it accomplishes other things.

The whole purpose of Christ's ministry was the revelation of God, in order to set men right with God. Christ's death was a part of His ministry. Therefore its whole purpose was to reveal God. Everything Christ did was for that purpose.

Is there something wrong with this logic Arnold? If so, what? The first sentence is a direct quote from Ellen White, and the three following that are logical inferences. Do you see any error?

Christ's death is part of the process "to set men right through the revelation of God." That is true.

Christ's death does nothing else but "to set men right through the revelation of God." That is not true. That's what I understood you meant when you said, "Christ's death was a part of His ministry. Therefore its whole purpose was to reveal God."

While I believe that it reveals God, I believe it reveals things about God that I only see in the penal substitution paradigm.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #103830
10/20/08 02:37 PM
10/20/08 02:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's what I said.

Quote:
The whole purpose of Christ's ministry was the revelation of God, in order to set men right with God. Christ's death was a part of His ministry. Therefore its whole purpose was to reveal God. Everything Christ did was for that purpose.

I asked if this is logically sound. It is, right?

I see you said, "Christ's death does nothing else but 'to set men right through the revelation of God.'" and made a comment about what you understood I was meaning, but I didn't say this. I'm asking if the logic about what I actually said is true. Let's see if we can agree on that first!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103845
10/20/08 03:45 PM
10/20/08 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
I don't understand why you wouldn't consider this assertion absurd; as if God had to earn the right to pardon sins! Tell me, please, how can you think the Master of the Universe, the Creator of all things, Jehovah God, above all, would need to earn the right to do anything?

Listen:

UL 222
My spirit at times is triumphant in God. I see in prospect just before us the eternal weight of glory. We have not earned it. Oh, no, Jesus earned it for us and it is a free gift, not for any righteousness and goodness of our own. Let us, in the few probationary hours left us, walk humbly with God and do the work He has committed to our hands with fidelity. {UL 222.5}

1SM 309
What right had Christ to take the captives out of the enemy's hands?--The right of having made a sacrifice that satisfies the principles of justice by which the kingdom of heaven is governed. He came to this earth as the Redeemer of the lost race, to conquer the wily foe, and, by His steadfast allegiance to right, to save all who accept Him as their Saviour. On the cross of Calvary He paid the redemption price of the race. And thus He gained the right to take the captives from the grasp of the great deceiver, who, by a lie, framed against the government of God, caused the fall of man, and thus forfeited all claim to be called a loyal subject of God's glorious everlasting kingdom.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #103853
10/20/08 10:59 PM
10/20/08 10:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This says nothing about God earning the right to forgive sins. She is speaking in Christus Victor terms, especially the second quote.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103877
10/21/08 05:56 PM
10/21/08 05:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Had Jesus not died on the cross He would have had no right to forgive penitent sinners. Otherwise, the human race would be the sin slaves and captives of Satan. That's what she is saying.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #103898
10/22/08 03:26 AM
10/22/08 03:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
On the cross of Calvary He paid the redemption price of the race. And thus He gained the right to take the captives from the grasp of the great deceiver, who, by a lie, framed against the government of God, caused the fall of man, and thus forfeited all claim to be called a loyal subject of God's glorious everlasting kingdom.

This is speaking about Satan's misrepresentation of God's character. Note, "the grasp of the great deceiver, who, by a lie, framed against the government of God," etc. Now the government of God relates to God's character, as it is governed by the law, which is a transcript of God's character.

EGW speaks of the same theme here:

Quote:
He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 21,22)

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103914
10/22/08 05:31 PM
10/22/08 05:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your interpretation of these two clear cut quotes is unconvincing. She clearly and plainly says Jesus earned the right to forgive and save penitent sinners. She couldn't say it more clearly.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Mountain Man] #103936
10/23/08 03:10 AM
10/23/08 03:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The second quote is Christus Victor. It's the same thing Scott has said many times.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #114038
06/02/09 09:10 PM
06/02/09 09:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
bump

Page 32 of 44 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!