HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,444 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 44 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Colin] #114188
06/05/09 08:05 PM
06/05/09 08:05 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Coming back to the topic of this thread, while y'all debate what the law is and how it's applied: "handwriting of ordinances" has been more accurately translated as "debt note", as in paying one's dues. A debt note was nailed to the cross to seure salvation. However one interprets what the debt the looked like, a debt note is a legally enforcable forfeiture of value: something is owed in the eyes of the law. That's why a debt note was nailed to the cross - a very legal event, demanded of divine justice and delivered for us by grace in Christ our Saviour.

Therefore, the cross of Christ met a legal requirement for our salvation, bearing our guilt and sinfulness to the death due it.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Colin] #114193
06/05/09 08:48 PM
06/05/09 08:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think on this thread there are like twenty different suggestions as to what was nailed to the cross. I'm exaggerating a bit, but not by much, as a perusal of the thread will show.

I've noticed that the texts being used to attempt to show the penal substitution idea are texts that are among the most contested and most difficult to understand in the New Testament. I've already posted regarding Rom. 3:25. Regarding this text, reading through this thread, we can see there are many suggestions. Romans 7 was another one suggested, which is also a difficult text, and its an analogy, hardly a proof.

Why not something from the teachings of Christ? It's my belief that Paul's teachings were the same as Christ's. I can't think of anything relating to the Gospel off the top of my head that Paul taught that Jesus didn't teach. It seems to me as followers of Christ, we should be able to support our views from Christ's teachings, at least as far as the Gospel goes. That doesn't mean, of course, other authors can't be used as well, but it seems to me that Christ's teaching would make a good foundation.

This is getting a bit off topic to the thread, but I think the comments fit in the context of what happened, which was a study of Col. 2:14 from another thread where we were discussing these concepts (these concepts being relating to the Gospel and the atonement). Mostly I wanted Dedication to be aware of the thread just to see what had already been discussed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: teresaq] #114200
06/05/09 11:51 PM
06/05/09 11:51 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
we use this to prove human nonimmortality. if it really means "God will kill you", then i think weve just lost our nonimmortality proof.

I'm not necessarily interested in maintaining our proofs. If it is true, it will be maintained no matter what I say.

In any case, "God will kill you" can mean different things. If I went to a patient in a hospital and I unplugged his respirator, making him unable to breathe, did I "kill" him? IOW, does my act of discontinuing a life-sustaining activity, and just allowing the person's condition to deteriorate on its own until death occurs, count as "killing" someone?

Let's apply that to God. Can God give life-sustaining power to those who have rejected Him? Yes; Satan's been around all these years because of life given him by God. If He ceases to provide His life-sustaining grace to sinners, allowing their condition to deteriorate until death occurs, does that count as "killing" them?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #114202
06/05/09 11:55 PM
06/05/09 11:55 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Since God loved them, and didn't want them to die, He warned them, "Don't eat of this fruit, lest you die."

If God did not warn them not to eat the fruit, would they have died if they ate it?

If God gave them the fruit, as He had done with every other fruit on the planet, would they have died if they ate it?

I'm guessing your answer to both questions is No. Correct?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #114210
06/06/09 01:41 AM
06/06/09 01:41 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Sorry, Colin. I should have responded to your Michael question before. Michael is Jesus Christ, of course. This is well know by SDA's. I don't know what your point is, however.

The reason I bring up Lucifer is because if the argument is going to be made that Ellen White is making the point that Christ had to die in order to legal pardon man, then that same logic would apply to Lucifer's case. Christ should have had to die in order for God to offer him pardon as well. But that isn't what happened. God went ahead and offered him pardon, again and again. Why did He do so for Lucifer, but not for man? From the following we can understand why:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761, 762)

If one wishes to discuss this question solely from Scripture, I'm happy to do so. I would first of all assert that we should be able to substantiate our beliefs as Christians by the teachings of Christ, and ask where in Christ's life or teaching we find the ideas espoused by the penal substitution theory.

If one wishes to bring the SOP into the discussion, then it seems to me the case of Lucifer shows that the SOP clearly demonstrates that God, as far as His own person is concerned (apart from our needs) was fully able to pardon on His own accord, without Christ's having to die to enable Him to be able to do so.

im not clear as to how you understand Christs death as a substitute for us. forget about that penal substitute stuff which i dont get anyway...i mean i dont see it as some kind of legal bargain the Gods made between themselves. it seems the focus is off somewhere there. joshua in zechariah coming to mind.

i understand the quote is very clear to you that Christ didnt need to die for satan, but i honestly dont see it and may not this side of heaven.

if sin brings death, then it seems Christ would have had to die in satans place because even if satan had repented-how sad that he didnt-satan still would have died as a result of his sin eventually.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #114213
06/06/09 03:10 AM
06/06/09 03:10 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: teresaq
we use this to prove human nonimmortality. if it really means "God will kill you", then i think weve just lost our nonimmortality proof.

I'm not necessarily interested in maintaining our proofs. If it is true, it will be maintained no matter what I say.

In any case, "God will kill you" can mean different things. If I went to a patient in a hospital and I unplugged his respirator, making him unable to breathe, did I "kill" him? IOW, does my act of discontinuing a life-sustaining activity, and just allowing the person's condition to deteriorate on its own until death occurs, count as "killing" someone?

Let's apply that to God. Can God give life-sustaining power to those who have rejected Him? Yes; Satan's been around all these years because of life given him by God. If He ceases to provide His life-sustaining grace to sinners, allowing their condition to deteriorate until death occurs, does that count as "killing" them?

im going to have to think and pray about that. it seems to be a "fine distinction".

but i get your point and dont take issue with that view. it is a different view that i have issue with.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: teresaq] #114216
06/06/09 03:54 AM
06/06/09 03:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

It counts as their choosing death, and God's giving them what they've chosen.

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." (DA 764)

"Love" and "hate" here have to do with choice. Iow, those who choose "not Christ" choose death.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #114217
06/06/09 03:58 AM
06/06/09 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Since God loved them, and didn't want them to die, He warned them, "Don't eat of this fruit, lest you die."

A:If God did not warn them not to eat the fruit, would they have died if they ate it?

If God gave them the fruit, as He had done with every other fruit on the planet, would they have died if they ate it?

They wouldn't have been sinning in this case, right? Death is the inevitable result of sin. With no sin there would have been no death.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #114406
06/08/09 10:15 PM
06/08/09 10:15 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

It counts as their choosing death, and God's giving them what they've chosen.

So if that guy in the hospital asked me to unplug his respirator and I did, allowing him to lack oxygen until his bodily functions ceased, it cannot be said truthfully that I killed him? Would you agree that I would not be responsible for it, since I had only given him what he had chosen?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #114407
06/08/09 10:47 PM
06/08/09 10:47 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:Since God loved them, and didn't want them to die, He warned them, "Don't eat of this fruit, lest you die."

A:If God did not warn them not to eat the fruit, would they have died if they ate it?

They wouldn't have been sinning in this case, right? Death is the inevitable result of sin. With no sin there would have been no death.

No sin, no death. We agree there.

So you're saying that if God said nothing about the fruit, it would have been perfectly safe to eat it. So God's positive act of warning them against eating it made it sinful to do so, since they would not have sinned if God said nothing. Sounds like God did something to make it possible for them to die.

This was your assertion:
Quote:
Since God loved them, and didn't want them to die, He warned them, "Don't eat of this fruit, lest you die."

But it looks like avoiding death would have been guaranteed if He had NOT warned them. Right? That is the logical conclusion of the belief that if God gave no light on the matter, there would be no sin, and there would be no death. Do you agree?

On the other side of the coin, God failed to do something to keep them from dying. If God had given them that fruit to eat, just like He did with all the other fruits there, they would not have sinned in eating it. Because God did not give them that fruit to eat, it was possible for them to eat it and die. Had He given them that fruit, and told them it was fine to eat, they would have been safe.

So here we have one positive act by God and one act that God did not do that would have kept A&E safe from death. But God chose the path that allowed A&E to die.

Moreover, A&E did not choose to die. They chose to ate, hoping to avoid death anyway. Death was something they received against their wishes.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 36 of 44 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!