HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 42 of 44 1 2 40 41 42 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #114723
06/13/09 02:54 AM
06/13/09 02:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R:Our sins were imputed to Christ and God was judging them - condemning them. If I'm not mistaken, you often speak about this passage:

"Were the law understood apart from Christ, it would have a crushing power upon sinful men, blotting the sinner out of existence." {RH, February 8, 1898 par. 5}

Not this particular one, but one similar.

Quote:
You also often emphasize that "the law" represents God, His character.

Yes.

Quote:
This is what happened to Christ. How do you see this passage?

It's funny talking with you, because sometimes it seems like we're saying the same thing, but other times not. I think the difference comes up in that you seem to see things in what seems to me to be artificial terms (you would say legal) whereas I see the things as descriptive of reality.

At any rate, I agree that the passage describes what happened to Christ. Christ took our sin, and this had a crushing effect upon Him. I'd like to hear you respond to my questions in more detail before responding more. For your convenience, I'll repeat them:

Quote:
What does this mean? Our sin was upon Him? Is this something like chicken pox? What exactly was God seeing when He looked at Christ? I understand your saying its our sins, but what does this mean? What would our sins look like? What exactly was God doing?

It looks like I asked about 7 questions, but it's really only about 2. 1 is I'd like to know what it means to you to say that our sin was upon Christ. The second is, what is it you see God doing when Christ was dying.

To explain the second a bit further, I understand you would say that God was judging and condemning sin, but what does this mean? What was God doing, thinking and feeling? I'm not asking you to get inside God's head, or do something impossible in terms of explaining God, but simply trying to clarify what it is you think was happening; what you think God was doing and what His emotions were.

I guess, to ask one more question, do you see His emotions/actions towards the wicked in the final judgment as being similar?

Thanks.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #114725
06/13/09 03:20 AM
06/13/09 03:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The problem is that Tom doesn't seem to see anything true in the penal substitution theory, and this doesn't seem to me to be in agreement with the Bible and Ellen White's view.

The "penal substitution" view is rather a broad term. I've tried to keep my objections to a very narrow focus. In particular, I've argued against the idea that God needs atonement in order to be able to pardon. I know there are statements that say that God could not pardon us apart from Christ's death, but I believe the reason for this is what Fifield brings out:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.

It's a bit tricky to put this clearly, and I think Fifield did a very good job with this here.

There are some things which the penal view typically emphasize, which I think are true. For example, that the death of Christ honors God's law. Or that Christ paid the penalty for our sins. Or that Christ took our place. I know I understand these concepts differently than others who use these same words, but I nevertheless agree with these concepts and believe they are important.

To mention one other difficulty I see with the penal view is that while lip service is given to other views, and the idea is stated that there are truths in all the views of the atonement, I very rarely see these other truths mentioned. This is in spite of the fact that even adherents of the penal substitution view can come up with not even a handful of texts to justify the position, whereas other views of the atonement have many times more texts dealing with the theme. For example, from the Christus Victor discussion the following texts were cited:

Quote:
(e.g. Mt 22:41-45; Mk 12:35-37; Lk 20:41-44; I Cor 15:22-25; Heb 1:13; 5:6, 10; 6:20; 7:11, 15,17,21; Heb 10:12-13, cf. . Mt 26:64; Mk 14:62; Lk 22:69; Ac 5:31; 7:55-56; Rom 8:34; I Cor 15:25; Eph 1:20; Col 3:1; Heb 1:3; 8:1; 10:12-13; I Pet 3:22; Rev. 3:21.).

And this is in just one section! What's quoted to support penal substitution? Texts like Mark 10:45, Rom. 3:25, Heb. 9:22, where it is highly debatable (being generous) that these texts even deal with the subject.

Anyway, back to the main point, in spite of the fact that there are tons more texts dealing with truths brought out by other theories, these other texts and theories are very rarely ever actually mentioned by penal substitution adherents.

And there's a good reason for this. If one is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail. If one views the primary issues to be legal ones, then that's what everything looks like, and non-legal texts and truths are overlooked.

On the other hand, if one sees the problem as having to do with God's character, and God's work in revealing the truth about Himself through Christ, the whole Bible becomes his oyster. (This is an interesting phrase, isn't it? from WikiAnsers: "The oyster is used as a metaphor in an idiomatic saying, 'The world is your oyster,' which means that the whole world is laid out before you like a wonderful living buffet.")

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #114734
06/13/09 07:46 AM
06/13/09 07:46 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i can see why God, in His mercy, would have annihilated them-and satan- instantly instead of allowing them to live on in misery, pain, and suffering, until we had exterminated ourselves, if there had been no remedy.

No "annihilation" is needed. No God = no life. And that applies across the board. All God needs to do is to stop giving life, and death results immediately.

That's how I see it too. Besides giving us the breath of life, God's hold all things together (including matter proton & Neutrons, molecules, etc...) So imagine what will happen when God will withdraw His power in holding all things together.

Blessings
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Elle] #114739
06/13/09 03:53 PM
06/13/09 03:53 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Elle
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i can see why God, in His mercy, would have annihilated them-and satan- instantly instead of allowing them to live on in misery, pain, and suffering, until we had exterminated ourselves, if there had been no remedy.

No "annihilation" is needed. No God = no life. And that applies across the board. All God needs to do is to stop giving life, and death results immediately.

That's how I see it too. Besides giving us the breath of life, God's hold all things together (including matter proton & Neutrons, molecules, etc...) So imagine what will happen when God will withdraw His power in holding all things together.

Yes, I agree that God sustains life - he also draws all men to himself by the life of Christ and our Christian witness. God's whole story is focused on grace. God does technically keep us alive, but is that how the Bible really depicts his judgement and justice against sin? He withdraws life in evey instance of mortal death among men, but is that his revealed intent with the lost, in the last day, of their eternal death?

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Colin] #114756
06/14/09 01:44 AM
06/14/09 01:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God's whole story is focused on grace.

Nicely put, Colin!

Quote:
God does technically keep us alive, but is that how the Bible really depicts his judgement and justice against sin? He withdraws life in evey instance of mortal death among men, but is that his revealed intent with the lost, in the last day, of their eternal death?

His intent is that the wicked live, not die:

Quote:
Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

31Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

32For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live. (Ezek. 18:30-32)

From the SOP:

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will?

Quote:
Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests?

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.

This was GC 541-543. This is the best explanation I've found as to what's going on. It's not that God is angry at the wicked and punishes them against their will. It's not that He some insatiable desire that His justice be satisfied. If God could make them happy, even at this late date, He would. But He can't. Their characters are fixed. The wicked choose to be excluded from heaven. There's nothing God can do but give them what they want.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #114766
06/14/09 03:05 PM
06/14/09 03:05 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Obviously she's addressing the fairness of God's judgement, but equally obviously she elsewhere, as has been posted already by others, doesn't exclude active punishment by God of fire according to their deeds, for unbelief in Christ's gospel. While you leave out the justice required of God by his own government's law, you fail to grasp all that she's saying, and this thread will not find the most likely answer to its question. A legal debt note put where it is legally required should salvation be effected.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Colin] #114768
06/14/09 04:29 PM
06/14/09 04:29 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Obviously she's addressing the fairness of God's judgement, but equally obviously she elsewhere, as has been posted already by others, doesn't exclude active punishment by God of fire according to their deeds, for unbelief in Christ's gospel. While you leave out the justice required of God by his own government's law, you fail to grasp all that she's saying, and this thread will not find the most likely answer to its question. A legal debt note put where it is legally required should salvation be effected.
colin, do you think we could move out of the worldly court system into the biblical sanctuary?

here is a thought:
Quote:
Satan will be judged by his own idea of justice.

It was his plea that every sin should meet its punishment.

If God remitted the punishment, he said, He was not a God of truth or justice.

Satan will meet the judgment which he said God should exercise. (MS 111, 1897). {5BC 1087.4}

that seems to leave the question as to who it is that demands that the wrongdoer receive punishment.

here on earth we are more interested in punishing wrongdoers by some means than we are in rehabilitating them. some may refuse rehabilitation but in what/whose "spirit" do we execute judgment? do we do it in anger and satisfaction? or do we mourn the loss of a soul?

how we view God and His justice makes all the difference in how we treat our fellowman.
Quote:
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

we will get what is in our hearts.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: teresaq] #114771
06/14/09 05:04 PM
06/14/09 05:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Good thoughts regarding justice, teresa. We typically think of justice in retributive terms, whereas Scripture presents it in restorative terms. The idea of justice was to restore the community to a state of "shalom."

For example:

Quote:
Thus says the LORD of hosts:

‘ Execute true justice,
Show mercy and compassion
Everyone to his brother.
10 Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless,
The alien or the poor.
Let none of you plan evil in his heart
Against his brother.’ (Zech. 7:9,10)

True justice is administered by means of mercy and compassion.

Your point about Satan being judged according to his own sense of justice is well taken as well. If you think about it, this is the only possible way God can judge, right? The only way a judgment of His could be considered to be fair is to judge such a one according to the sense of justice that person has. This is pretty obvious if you think about it.

There's quite a number of parables that bring out this idea. For example, in the parable of the talents, the one with one talent was "judged" according to his own sense of judgment.

Another point to keep in mind is that God communicates to people that are in different levels of understanding. For example, in "Steps to Christ" there are appeals to shunning hell and winning heaven. Many of Ellen White's writings have these appeals, and they can be found throughout Scripture as well.

However, she also writes:

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.(DA 480)

This looks like a contradiction. In one place she ways there's a heaven to gain and a hell to shun, so she's clearly using that as incentive. But here she says it's NOT the hope of reward or fear of punishment that motivates Christ's disciples. What's going on?

In one place, she's appealing to those with a lower level of understanding. Typically when one is first converted, the appeals to the heart are very self-centered, as that may be all the one being converted understands. But as time goes on, one sees that there is more to things than simply one's one eternal destiny; there's a bigger picture.

I'm using this as an example that Scripture is a multi-faceted book, being a spiritual book, and the thoughts expressed can be understood in different ways, depending on one's experience and understanding.

The Holy Spirit is constantly challenging us with our paradigms, attempting to get us to exchange our old wineskins for new wineskin, so we can receive new wine.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: teresaq] #114774
06/14/09 08:32 PM
06/14/09 08:32 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
colin, do you think we could move out of the worldly court system into the biblical sanctuary?

Sure: this is the law of God
Quote:
The soul that sinneth, it shall die

The sanctuary God set up supplied a substitute for the justice of his own law, so any could live rather than die, thanks to the substitute.

Any who accept Christ's substitution for their penalty for sin are redeemed from the justice of God, and heaven rejoices over each who repent of sin. Christ's Gospel of grace is for rehabilitation of sinners who accept what he has done for all men by grace. We fall short by being sinful, but Christ raises us by the power of God to the glory of the character and attitude of himself: we are made like Christ in mind and character. Law and grace are the gospel: the law places us in need of Christ our Saviour and steers us to him, too, for there - when we find Christ - we find we are in God's grace by God's own initiative.

That Bible Commentary quote shows Satan understands the law but doesn't want anyone to gain from grace. Yes, we all mourn for the loss of any who refuse grace. The punishment for refusal is according to the law of God. God must apply that penalty of justice, just like he is graceous and does apply probation for this world's rehabilitation. His character is both, judge and Saviour.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Colin] #114778
06/14/09 10:01 PM
06/14/09 10:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The sanctuary God set up supplied a substitute for the justice of his own law, so any could live rather than die, thanks to the substitute.

A substitute for the ravage which sin causes I think is much more to the point. The problem is sin, not justice. Sin destroys its victims, and we need to be saved from its power.

Quote:
Any who accept Christ's substitution for their penalty for sin are redeemed from the justice of God, and heaven rejoices over each who repent of sin.

What we need is to be redeemed from the power of sin, not the justice of God. It is sin which is our enemy; not the justice of God.

Quote:
Christ's Gospel of grace is for rehabilitation of sinners who accept what he has done for all men by grace.

Amen here!

Quote:
We fall short by being sinful, but Christ raises us by the power of God to the glory of the character and attitude of himself: we are made like Christ in mind and character. Law and grace are the gospel: the law places us in need of Christ our Saviour and steers us to him, too, for there - when we find Christ - we find we are in God's grace by God's own initiative.

Amen again!

Page 42 of 44 1 2 40 41 42 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!