HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 91 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: kland] #115127
06/26/09 04:15 PM
06/26/09 04:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Along the same lines as Tom just said, could Satan survive if God didn't explicitly keep him alive? That is, can evil exist on it's own?

Do you believe God created beings in such a way that their life depends on them doing certain things (i.e. eating, drinking, breathing, etc)? Or, do you believe their life also depends upon God keeping them alive? Whatever your answer is please explain what God meant in Gen 3:21 where He says, If we don't bar access to the tree of life they will eat of it and live forever as sinners.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115134
06/26/09 07:25 PM
06/26/09 07:25 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Welcome to D club. I agree with Tom in that it depends on how it is carried out. Unlike Tom, though, I also believe it depends on who carries it out. God cannot sin, therefore, whatever He does is right and righteous.

i think toms points are worth considering, if for no other reason than that the papacy, not to mention time before, believed they were doing the will of God in persecuting and killing millions who believed differently.

along the same lines is the question, is God a punishing God or a God Who restrains evil? is He constantly protecting us from circumstances we are completely oblivious to. one thing i dont see in the punishing God view is His ceaseless protection of us. since our view of God determines our actions, how we treat others, that seems to be an important question.

your conclusion, in my opinion, leaves itself wide open to justify any actions because "God would do it". if tom is right and God does not go against what He orders, then it behooves us to consider that and restudy, methinks.

These parables were spoken after the solemn lessons given in the twenty-third and twenty-fourth chapters of Matthew, when Christ dwelt particularly upon His second coming, and revealed things which would transpire before His second appearing in the clouds of heaven. "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem," Christ said, "thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not" [Matthew 23:37]. {16MR 275.3}
In this lamentation over Jerusalem is given the assurance of protection to all who will come unto Christ. He will accept and protect them, poor, defenseless, dependent, even as the hen spreads her protecting wings over her brood. If her chickens wander from her, the hen has a peculiar call by which she warns them of peril or storm. If they will heed the danger signal, and can reach their mother's protecting wings, they find warmth and safety, for she will defend them while she has any life. She forgets herself, and will give her life in defending her helpless little flock. {16MR 275.4}
What a touching figure is this! What an idea it gives us of the watchful care of Christ for all who trust in Him. Christ longed to gather Israel under His mediatorial wings. He longed to hear their voice calling upon Him, and saying: "Hold up my going in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. I have called upon Thee, for Thou wilt hear me, O God: incline Thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. Show Thy marvelous loving kindness, O Thou that savest by Thy right hand them which put their trust in Thee from those that rise up against them. Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of Thy wings" [Psalms 17:5-8]. {16MR 276.1}
[Psalms 36:5-11, quoted.]
"I will abide in Thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of Thy wings" [Psalm 61:4]. {16MR 276.2}
But Christ could not do for Israel all that He desired to do, because they would not respond to His invitations. "Ye would not," He said. Their will was stubborn and unyielding. His last words to the impenitent nation were, "Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see Me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord" [Matthew 23:38, 39].--Ms 92a, 1898. Ellen G. White Estate October 30, 1986. Entire Manuscript. {16MR 276.3}

Quote:
Who do you think caused the earth to open up and swallow the rebellious?
do you have a picture of what that would look like?
Quote:
And, who do you think caused the fire that killed the 250?
and this one?
Quote:
Finally, who do you think will cause the plagues that will kill sinners after probation closes?
lets take this one:
Quote:
Rev 16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.
Rev 16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
Rev 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
Rev 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
are you saying that God is the evil spirits here?

one final thought:
Today . . . heavenly messengers are passing through the length and breadth of the land, seeking to comfort the sorrowing, to protect the impenitent, to win the hearts of men to Christ. We cannot see them personally; nevertheless they are with us, guiding, directing, protecting. . . . {ML 303.2}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115137
06/26/09 10:23 PM
06/26/09 10:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The earth opening up and swallowing the rebellious depicts force and violence? If so, who caused it to happen and why? What about the fire and the 250? And the plagues after probation closes?

MM, you should know what force and violence are. If you set someone on fire, that's violence. If you threaten to set someone on fire unless they do something you want them to do, that's force.

Quote:
Please cite examples of divine punishment in the Bible that did not involve force and violence.

I think you're asking the wrong question. What I've asserted is that God does not use force or violence to achieve His ends, whether to punish or overcome rebellion or forgive sinners or anything else.

As explained in "The Destruction of Jerusalem," in "The Great Controversy," God withdraws when rejected beyond a certain point. Force and violence may result as a result of this withdrawal, as evil beings use force and violence. However, *God* does not use force or violence.

Quote:
Please answer the questions in relation to PP 404.

God withdraws His protection, which entails bad things happening as a result of either nature, evil beings, or one's health. I explained the principles involved in a lot of detail earlier in the this thread. The exact application doesn't matter. It's the general principles involved that are important.

The bottom line of our disagreement has to do with our paradigms, and with how we perceive God to be. You perceive that God is capable of using force and acting violently. You label this as something else, so I'm not talking about that, about the label. I'm talking about God's actual actions, of setting people on fire, or inflicting them with boils, or whatever. You see that God is capable of doing these things (i.e., His character allows it) and that He will resort to these methods if necessary to get His way. I disagree. I don't believe He acts any differently than how Jesus acted while here with us in the flesh, nor that He uses any methods different than those which Jesus used.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115147
06/27/09 06:08 AM
06/27/09 06:08 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I don't believe He acts any differently than how Jesus acted while here with us in the flesh, nor that He uses any methods different than those which Jesus used.

Quote:
So Elijah answered and said to them, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men.” And the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty. (2 Kings 1:12)

Didn't that fire, which consumed 51 men, come from God/Jesus?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115148
06/27/09 06:28 AM
06/27/09 06:28 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that God needed to take action, that something needed to be done to restrain sin, or to "speedily visit punishment upon transgression." The point I'm making is that God does not need to take violent action to achieve this purpose.

Do you believe that God can choose an action for which there are more pleasant alternatives? IOW, could God choose option A if there exists an option B that was more pleasant?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: kland] #115149
06/27/09 06:34 AM
06/27/09 06:34 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Along the same lines as Tom just said, could Satan survive if God didn't explicitly keep him alive? That is, can evil exist on it's own?

I would say that Satan would die immediately if God does not provide him with life. (And that applies to every other creature.)

Now consider this angle: Which option results in more pain and suffering for an individual?

a) Be separated from God through sin and immediately cease to exist.
b) Be separated from God through sin and continue to live in sin for 6000 years.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115150
06/27/09 06:45 AM
06/27/09 06:45 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I don't believe He acts any differently than how Jesus acted while here with us in the flesh, nor that He uses any methods different than those which Jesus used.

Doesn't God sometimes change His actions depending on the context? He publicly denounced some Pharisees as blind guides, but He didn't treat Nicodemus that way. Jesus went to the house of Zacchaeus the thief, but kicked Adam and Eve out of their house when they stole. More importantly, Jesus came to die for sinners the first time around, but He's not going to do the same thing the next time, and definitely not the next time after that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #115163
06/27/09 06:41 PM
06/27/09 06:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
So Elijah answered and said to them, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men.” And the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty. (2 Kings 1:12)

A:Didn't that fire, which consumed 51 men, come from God/Jesus?

The Samaritans would not receive Jesus a certain time because he "had His face" towards Jerusalem.

Quote:
53And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.

54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. (Luke 9)

The SOP comments:

Quote:
It is no part of Christ's mission to compel men to receive Him. It is Satan, and men actuated by his spirit, that seek to compel the conscience. Under a pretense of zeal for righteousness, men who are confederate with evil angels bring suffering upon their fellow men, in order to convert them to their ideas of religion; but Christ is ever showing mercy, ever seeking to win by the revealing of His love. He can admit no rival in the soul, nor accept of partial service; but He desires only voluntary service, the willing surrender of the heart under the constraint of love. There can be no more conclusive evidence that we possess the spirit of Satan than the disposition to hurt and destroy those who do not appreciate our work, or who act contrary to our ideas.(DA 487)

Quote:
Doesn't God sometimes change His actions depending on the context?

Of course, but He never acts contrary to His principles in so doing, principles such as those described here:

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power.(DA 759)

Quote:
A:He publicly denounced some Pharisees as blind guides, but He didn't treat Nicodemus that way. Jesus went to the house of Zacchaeus the thief, but kicked Adam and Eve out of their house when they stole. More importantly, Jesus came to die for sinners the first time around, but He's not going to do the same thing the next time, and definitely not the next time after that.

He'll display the same spirit.

Quote:
Those who think of the result of hastening or hindering the gospel think of it in relation to themselves and to the world. Few think of its relation to God. Few give thought to the suffering that sin has caused our Creator. All heaven suffered in Christ's agony; but that suffering did not begin or end with His manifestation in humanity. The cross is a revelation to our dull senses of the pain that, from its very inception, sin has brought to the heart of God. Every departure from the right, every deed of cruelty, every failure of humanity to reach His ideal, brings grief to Him. When there came upon Israel the calamities that were the sure result of separation from God,--subjugation by their enemies, cruelty, and death,--it is said that "His soul was grieved for the misery of Israel." "In all their affliction He was afflicted: . . . and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old." Judges 10:16; Isaiah 63:9.(Ed 263)

The cross reveals the heart of God, a heart which doesn't change.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115178
06/27/09 10:23 PM
06/27/09 10:23 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
When war broke out in heaven, wasn't the devil and the one third of the devil's followers forcefully ejected from heaven by Michael (Christ) and His loyal angels?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #115180
06/27/09 11:31 PM
06/27/09 11:31 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Quote:

Didn't that fire, which consumed 51 men, come from God/Jesus?

this thread is for the plagues of any kind and i considered starting another thread for this but it all seems interrelated so ill put it here.

satan was lucifer, the covering cherub who veiled Gods glory. there are two on the mercy seat so it makes one wonder who the second covering cherub is, but that is beside the point. smile

The glory of the Eternal Father is enshrouding his Son. The brightness of his presence fills the city of God, and flows out beyond the gates, flooding the whole earth with its radiance. {4SP 479.2}

He sees another now standing near to the Father, veiling his glory....{4SP 484.2}

the question i have is why was there need to veil Gods glory in heaven? in case someone accidently sinned? or would "erred" be preferred?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 11 of 91 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!