HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 91 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115203
06/28/09 04:19 PM
06/28/09 04:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
That doesn't quite answer my question re: 2 Kings 1:12. When the Bible says that "the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty," did that fire come from God/Jesus?

It seems to me it does (answer the question). If one takes the point of view that the fire came from Jesus (or God), I don't see how the things I quoted would fit in.

The Bible often presents God as doing that which He permits, so the fact that the Bible labels it the "fire of God" doesn't imply that God caused it, any more than God's sending fiery serpents upon the Israelites means that God sent fiery serpents upon them.

In an earlier post I spoke of different paradigms involved. I don't think looking at isolated, individual texts has an impact on one's paradigm. I think considering the character of God does, however.

One could argue that looking at isolated, individual texts is a way to "consider God's character," but I think, apart from Jesus Christ's revelation, this is more likely to confuse than enlighten. If we look at Christ's life and teaching, the idea that He would zap someone with fire seems incomprehensible. I certainly can't think of anything He said or did that would lead one to such a conclusion.

I spoke, in an earlier post, of my experience in coming to the conclusion that the SDA view was correct in terms of the immortality of the soul. I think the same principles applies.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115204
06/28/09 04:25 PM
06/28/09 04:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
This may not be the picture of an angry, vengeful "God" we are accustomed to but it is the all-powerful One. It is the power that is exercised in our behalf to protect us from untold evil and calamities that, we are told, we shall find out how many when we get to heaven.

I think this is the part that isn't understood. The idea is that God's power can only be shown if He is the actual one doing the zapping. But God's power is displayed every bit as much in His prevention of destruction. Indeed, to prevent destruction takes *more* power than then one who would do the destruction.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115205
06/28/09 04:30 PM
06/28/09 04:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
(liane)Nothing should surprise anyone in these last days. We know that Satan is as a roaring lion seeking who he will devour. When the four winds are let loose and God has withdrawn his protection, note that God acts by withdrawing His protection Satan will do his evil deeds more powerfully than ever before.

On the other hand God will act out his own wrath through the plagues and by His wrath through His Strange Act.

Don't you think it would be rather odd to have God and Satan doing the same thing, maiming, hurting, and causing destruction? There would be no way of who was doing what.

How about the following:

Quote:
God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power.(DA 759)

It seems to me what you're suggesting is diametrically opposed to what we read here. At least, I don't see how it would fit together.

If one considers the life and teachings of Jesus in general, it's difficult to see a life more anti-violence than His. If someone smites you on the cheek, turn the other cheek. This is what He taught and love. It's contrary to human nature, but seems to fit with God's nature, and how God actually acts. So it seems to me, at any rate.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115210
06/28/09 07:02 PM
06/28/09 07:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
As to the plagues in Revelation, as I said, I don't think we can know precisely how they will play out. So we can't really say if they will be permitted by God, sent by God, or a mix of the two (that is, some permitted, some sent).
However, the idea that directly removing life is always cruel and is incompatible with God's mercy does not make any sense to me. So, if I have a pet, and this pet gets an incurable disease and is suffering terribly, if I kill him I'm heartless, mercyless and cruel.
And I don't understand how someone can think that killing is always cruel, but can't see that letting die is no less cruel (and in fact can be, sometimes, more cruel).

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115211
06/28/09 07:43 PM
06/28/09 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
However, the idea that directly removing life is always cruel and is incompatible with God's mercy does not make any sense to me.

Depending on how "directly removing life" is understood, I agree. For example, Moses comes to mind.

The idea that God would act cruelly, though, causing a painful or violent death is another matter, however.

Quote:
So, if I have a pet, and this pet gets an incurable disease and is suffering terribly, if I kill him I'm heartless, merciless and cruel.

What's being suggested is more along the lines of your causing the disease and making the pet to suffer terribly, rather than alleviating such suffering. Recall the characteristics of the plagues. The descriptions are not of merciful, painless deaths ending the sufferings of those experiencing the plagues.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115214
06/28/09 09:54 PM
06/28/09 09:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

R: However, the idea that directly removing life is always cruel and is incompatible with God's mercy does not make any sense to me.
T: Depending on how "directly removing life" is understood, I agree. For example, Moses comes to mind.

Moses? God didn't remove Moses' life.

Quote:
The idea that God would act cruelly, though, causing a painful or violent death is another matter, however.

All deaths are violent, because death is unnatural.
You said God uses nature to cause death, but all deaths caused by nature are violent.
Besides, as I said, removing life is no more cruel than letting people die.

Quote:
R: So, if I have a pet, and this pet gets an incurable disease and is suffering terribly, if I kill him I'm heartless, merciless and cruel.
T: What's being suggested is more along the lines of your causing the disease and making the pet to suffer terribly

No, in the analogy the "disease" is sin.

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115216
06/28/09 11:09 PM
06/28/09 11:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R: However, the idea that directly removing life is always cruel and is incompatible with God's mercy does not make any sense to me.
T: Depending on how "directly removing life" is understood, I agree. For example, Moses comes to mind.

R:Moses? God didn't remove Moses' life.

Scripture says:

Quote:
5So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.

6And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.

7And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated. (Deut. 34)

If his natural force was not abated, why did he die?

Quote:
T:The idea that God would act cruelly, though, causing a painful or violent death is another matter, however.

R:All deaths are violent, because death is unnatural.

This is your reasoning?

A.All death is unnatural.
B.All things unnatural are violent.
C.Therefore all death is violent.

Regarding death and nature, I wrote the following in response to MM:

Quote:
God withdraws His protection, which entails bad things happening as a result of either nature, evil beings, or one's health. I explained the principles involved in a lot of detail earlier in the this thread. The exact application doesn't matter. It's the general principles involved that are important.

The bottom line of our disagreement has to do with our paradigms, and with how we perceive God to be. You perceive that God is capable of using force and acting violently. You label this as something else, so I'm not talking about that, about the label. I'm talking about God's actual actions, of setting people on fire, or inflicting them with boils, or whatever. You see that God is capable of doing these things (i.e., His character allows it) and that He will resort to these methods if necessary to get His way. I disagree. I don't believe He acts any differently than how Jesus acted while here with us in the flesh, nor that He uses any methods different than those which Jesus used.

I quoted this in detail, to make clear my thinking.

Quote:
Besides, as I said, removing life is no more cruel than letting people die.

If the life is removed by causing the person whose life is being removed a great deal of pain, that could be cruel, don't you think?

Quote:
R: So, if I have a pet, and this pet gets an incurable disease and is suffering terribly, if I kill him I'm heartless, merciless and cruel.
T: What's being suggested is more along the lines of your causing the disease and making the pet to suffer terribly

R:No, in the analogy the "disease" is sin.

No, it's not. Why is it not? Because your analogy doesn't correspond to what I'm saying. You're analogy sounds like euthanasia, and involves the painless death of a being who is suffering. What I was speaking against is the causing of pain to one who wasn't suffering, which is why I said what's being suggested is more along the lines of your causing the disease and making the pet to suffer terribly.

To make this clear, it's being suggested that God will do things like cause those who suffer the plagues to suffer boils and in other ways suffer greatly. That is, it is God who is directly causing them to suffer excruciating pain. What I am claiming is that God is not like this. He does not get vengeance by making people suffer excruciating pain, nor does He establish His justice by so doing, nor punish those who reject Him.

This is not at all like your euthanizing a pet who is suffering. It would be like causing the pet to suffer, however.

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115217
06/28/09 11:11 PM
06/28/09 11:11 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
As to the plagues in Revelation, as I said, I don't think we can know precisely how they will play out. So we can't really say if they will be permitted by God, sent by God, or a mix of the two (that is, some permitted, some sent).
However, the idea that directly removing life is always cruel and is incompatible with God's mercy does not make any sense to me. So, if I have a pet, and this pet gets an incurable disease and is suffering terribly, if I kill him I'm heartless, mercyless and cruel.
And I don't understand how someone can think that killing is always cruel, but can't see that letting die is no less cruel (and in fact can be, sometimes, more cruel).
these seem like good questions to me. they got me thinking. smile about things ive wondered about before.

but one thing seems to be that we need to differentiate between ourselves and God. between what we can/would do and what God can/would do.

God isnt cruel. we may not know, or really believe that, but He isnt. but He allowed the antediluvians to drown, or drowned them-to appease both sides, because i want to make a point. smile

so why didnt He just take back His breath of life and let them fall where they dropped? could it be because He gave them every chance to repent til their dying breath? that the flood was the only thing that could convince them, or finally wake them up, to eternal interests?

your other points have me thinking, roseangela, and i would like to explore them but i didnt want to get off-track on this.

i would also like to explore why God had/s a covering cherub to veil His glory before sin happened.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115218
06/28/09 11:23 PM
06/28/09 11:23 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
but isnt that getting into "God and satan cooperating together"? wave it does seem like it has to be one or the other. or maybe we havent explored-prayed and studied-it out more?

im doing an integration on the 2nd and 3rd comings and one minute it seems very clear its satan causing everything, the next it seems just as clear that its God.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115219
06/28/09 11:51 PM
06/28/09 11:51 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
R:All deaths are violent, because death is unnatural.

This is your reasoning?

A.All death is unnatural.
B.All things unnatural are violent.
C.Therefore all death is violent.
with all due respect i think roseangela is right. all death is violent, with the exception, maybe, of aaron and moses, who the Lord laid to rest.

there never was supposed to be any death, ever.

Quote:
You're analogy sounds like euthanasia, and involves the painless death of a being who is suffering.
again i have to disagree. i never found euthanasia to be completely painless, for my pets or me.

i think death is painful however it happens.

Quote:
What I was speaking against is the causing of pain to one who wasn't suffering, which is why I said what's being suggested is more along the lines of your causing the disease and making the pet to suffer terribly.

To make this clear, it's being suggested that God will do things like cause those who suffer the plagues to suffer boils and in other ways suffer greatly. That is, it is God who is directly causing them to suffer excruciating pain. What I am claiming is that God is not like this. He does not get vengeance by making people suffer excruciating pain, nor does He establish His justice by so doing, nor punish those who reject Him.
that is the point, i believe, that is the most important whether "God" does it, or allows it.

Page 13 of 91 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!