HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,602
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 91 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115220
06/29/09 12:54 AM
06/29/09 12:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
t:With all due respect I think Roseangela is right. All death is violent, with the exception, maybe, of Aaron and Moses, who the Lord laid to rest. There never was supposed to be any death, ever.

Because a thing is unnatural does not make it violent! Both law and medicine recognize the difference between "natural death" (or "death by natural causes") and "violent deaths".

It's certainly true that there was never supposed to be any death, ever, and it could certainly be argued that any death is unnatural, but that's a far cry from arguing that all deaths are violent. To see this, let's consider the definition of "violent," which should make the point clear:

Quote:
effected by force or injury rather than natural causes; "a violent death"(free online dictionary)

And even if one did want to call all death "violent death," that would in no way affect the points I was making, which have to do with things God is actually (supposedly) doing. It makes no difference how these things are labeled!

Quote:
T:You're analogy sounds like euthanasia, and involves the painless death of a being who is suffering.
again i have to disagree. i never found euthanasia to be completely painless, for my pets or me.

t:I think death is painful however it happens.

The whole point of euthanasia is to bring about death in as painless a way as possible. The plagues are not depicting this sort of thing.

Quote:
10And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

11And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds. (Rev. 16)

This isn't anything like euthanasia! Who's responsible for this? Is this something God is actively doing, or that God permits to happen?

Quote:
That is the point, i believe, that is the most important whether "God" does it, or allows it.

Agreed!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115221
06/29/09 04:10 AM
06/29/09 04:10 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i probably didnt make myself clear.

my point didnt involve God one way or the other.

my point is that death, to me, is "violent" regardless of how one dies. but we do tend to categorize deaths so i can understand the misunderstanding of what im trying to say.

the "violence" can be just mental. trauma? may be a better word. but i think even for an elderly person dying of natural causes for them it is "violent".

even a person who dies in their sleep we cant really say they died peacefully, even tho it appears so, because no one is able to come back and tell us.

just something that the discussion made me think about. not trying to take away from your points about God. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115223
06/29/09 05:33 AM
06/29/09 05:33 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
When war broke out in heaven, wasn't the devil and the one third of the devil's followers forcefully ejected from heaven by Michael (Christ) and His loyal angels?

If one takes these statements seriously, I don't see how one can think that God used force to overcome Satan.

Did Satan leave heaven of his own accord? Was he convinced that he didn't really want to be there, and decided to leave on his own?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #115229
06/29/09 08:21 PM
06/29/09 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Even a person who dies in their sleep we cant really say they died peacefully, even tho it appears so, because no one is able to come back and tell us.

Lazarus did!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115230
06/29/09 08:50 PM
06/29/09 08:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Did Satan leave heaven of his own accord? Was he convinced that he didn't really want to be there, and decided to leave on his own?

Jude says he (and his followers) "left their habitation." The SOP speaks of Satan's "leaving the immediate presence of the Father."

From "It Is Finished" in "The Desire of Ages" there's the following interesting comment:

Quote:
"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." Rev. 12:10.

Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken. (DA 761)

The verse in Revelation dealing with Satan's being cast down is interpreted as having to do with a loss of influence on Satan's part. As his disguise was taken away, the holy angels wanted nothing to do with him. Before he had some access, such as we see in Job.

I think Satan would like to have the power of God, but doesn't want anything to do with His principles, nor those who do.

Certainly the idea that God would use force to compel Satan to leave heaven would be problematic, given statements like the following:

Quote:
Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. (DA 759)

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115231
06/29/09 09:01 PM
06/29/09 09:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
your other points have me thinking, roseangela, and i would like to explore them but i didnt want to get off-track on this.

Teresa, we had an interesting discussion some years ago where many of the principles touched on here were examined and presented in more detail. Take a look at it here if you can.

Quote:
i would also like to explore why God had/s a covering cherub to veil His glory before sin happened.

Perhaps a new thread could be created about this topic.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115232
06/29/09 09:30 PM
06/29/09 09:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Because a thing is unnatural does not make it violent! Both law and medicine recognize the difference between "natural death" (or "death by natural causes") and "violent deaths".

So you think that the death resulting from a heart attack or an asthma attack is not violent? These are natural causes, but I can see little difference, for instance, between an asthma attack and a gas chamber or death by hanging.

Quote:
The whole point of euthanasia is to bring about death in as painless a way as possible.

When I brought up the analogy of euthanasia, I was referring to the motivation for causing the death, not to the pain involved in it.

Quote:
[Rev. 16:10, 11 quoted] This isn't anything like euthanasia! Who's responsible for this? Is this something God is actively doing, or that God permits to happen?

One would suppose that in an afflictive situation the person would turn to God, so whether God is sending the plagues or permitting them, they prove definitively that these people are incapable of repenting.

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115233
06/29/09 10:02 PM
06/29/09 10:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R:So you think that the death resulting from a heart attack or an asthma attack is not violent?

Here again is the definition of "violent"

Quote:
Effected by force or injury rather than natural causes; "a violent death"(free online dictionary)

So such deaths are not violent.

Quote:
These are natural causes, but I can see little difference, for instance, between an asthma attack and a gas chamber or death by hanging.

If you slip around a pool, and hit your head, and fall into the pool and drown, that's not a violent death. If, however, someone bonks you on the head with a club and dumps you in the pool, that is.

Quote:
T:The whole point of euthanasia is to bring about death in as painless a way as possible.

R:When I brought up the analogy of euthanasia, I was referring to the motivation for causing the death, not to the pain involved in it.

I wasn't taking issue with the motivation of God's supposed actions, but with the actions themselves; specifically, with the idea that God would directly cause excruciatingly painful, violent deaths.

Quote:
T:[Rev. 16:10, 11 quoted] This isn't anything like euthanasia! Who's responsible for this? Is this something God is actively doing, or that God permits to happen?

R:One would suppose that in an afflictive situation the person would turn to God, so whether God is sending the plagues or permitting them, they prove definitively that these people are incapable of repenting.

I think the premise here is questionable, and I don't see the reason for it's being brought up. What leads one to repentance is not affliction, but the goodness of God (Romans 2:4).

But this wasn't something I've been discussing. I've been pointing out that I don't believe that God's directly causing people excruciating pain and killing them is in harmony with His character. I think this is made clear by Jesus Christ's life and teachings.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115235
06/29/09 11:46 PM
06/29/09 11:46 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
If you slip around a pool, and hit your head, and fall into the pool and drown, that's not a violent death. If, however, someone bonks you on the head with a club and dumps you in the pool, that is.

But your physical sensations will be the same, and the distinction, in this sense, is artificial. Now take for instance the deaths of Ananias and Sapphira. There is no painless death, so either you must believe that it wasn’t God who caused their deaths, or that He causes pain and suffering, because in all deaths (whether natural or “violent”) there is some degree of pain and suffering.

Quote:
I wasn't taking issue with the motivation of God's supposed actions, but with the actions themselves; specifically, with the idea that God would directly cause excruciatingly painful, violent deaths.

There may be suffering before a death occurs (and this is true of both natural and “violent” deaths), but in death itself the suffering takes just some seconds. After that the brain turns itself off. So what are you referring to? Sufferings that precede death?

Quote:
I think the premise here is questionable, and I don't see the reason for it's being brought up. What leads one to repentance is not affliction, but the goodness of God (Romans 2:4).

It’s obvious that affliction may lead people to repentance. What happened in Nineveh is proof of that.

Quote:
But this wasn't something I've been discussing. I've been pointing out that I don't believe that God's directly causing people excruciating pain and killing them is in harmony with His character. I think this is made clear by Jesus Christ's life and teachings.

Disease and death can achieve purposes. Gehazi's and Uzziah's leprosy had a purpose to achieve in their lives and in the lives of others (2 Ki 5:27; 2 Chron 26:20). The death of Ananias and Sapphira also had a purpose to achieve.

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115236
06/30/09 12:04 AM
06/30/09 12:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:If you slip around a pool, and hit your head, and fall into the pool and drown, that's not a violent death. If, however, someone bonks you on the head with a club and dumps you in the pool, that is.

R:But your physical sensations will be the same, and the distinction is somewhat artificial.

Such "artificial" distinctions determine whether people are hanged for murder.

Quote:
Now take for instance the deaths of Ananias and Sapphira. There is no painless death, so either you must believe that it wasn’t God who caused their deaths, or that He causes pain and suffering, because in all deaths (whether natural or “violent”) there is some degree of pain and suffering.

Everything seems to follow from your assertion that "there is no painless death." Can you establish that assertion? For example, when a person dies in their sleep, that would seem to me to be a painless death.

Quote:
T:I wasn't taking issue with the motivation of God's supposed actions, but with the actions themselves; specifically, with the idea that God would directly cause excruciatingly painful, violent deaths.

R:There may be suffering before a death occurs (and this is true of both natural and “violent” deaths), but in death itself the suffering takes just some seconds. After that the brain turns itself off. So what are you referring to? Sufferings that precede death?

Sufferings that precede death is the only possibility, isn't it?

Quote:
Disease and death can achieve purposes. Gehazi's and Uzziah's leprosy had a purpose to achieve in their lives and in the lives of others (2 Ki 5:27; 2 Chron 26:20). The death of Ananias and Sapphira also had a purpose to achieve.

I agree that God can work His purposes despite disease or death, if this is what you have in mind. I don't believe that God kills people or inflicts them with disease to work His purposes, if that's what you're saying.

Page 14 of 91 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!