HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,276 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 91 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115373
07/03/09 03:40 PM
07/03/09 03:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:My thinking involves neither of the above and all of them at the same time. I am not making just one part the "foundational" one. I am opening the base wide to accept the whole as "foundational," just as I do not build on Ellen White alone, but also the Bible with her. Together, we have a more complete picture.

Yes, this pretty much what I understood your approach to be. I think it's a common one, but I believe incorrect. I believe the correct approach is that Jesus Christ is the foundation, and everything else is subservient to Him, and to be build upon Him.

Quote:
18For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.(Eph. 2)

Quote:
GC:I do not accept that everything about Jesus was revealed in 33 years. Nor will I. I do not believe Mrs. White ever said so, and to make her say such would be to misunderstand the import of her words. (I'm not saying you have misunderstood her, only clarifying my position relative to the quote you brought here.)

She didn't say that everything about Jesus was revealed in 33 years (nor did I!) but that everything that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son (as did I). Here's the quote again:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 216)

Since all that man needs to know, or can know, of God has been revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ while here in the flesh (this is the context of the quote), it makes perfect sense to start there, and build up a theology of God's character. Then, *after* having a correct understanding, we can explore other areas, which have been misunderstood.

Quote:
GC:It just so happens that the Old Testament gives more "foundation" to the New than the other way around simply because the Old Testament happened first.

But the Revelation of Christ had not yet come, so it is as a dim reflection. It's like the moon to the brilliant glory of the Son. As EGW points out in DA, the earth was dark through misapprehension of God. Why dark? Because God's character had not been revealed in its fullness by Christ.

The OT writers did the best they could, but they were hampered by not having had the opportunity to live with Christ, to hear Him and see Him and touch Him, as John puts it. Having seen the Son in His glory, the Gospel writers were able to write first hand of God in the flesh.

The whole purpose of Christ's earthly mission was the revelation of God. Because no one had seen God, Christ came to show us what He is really like. Not what we thought He was like, but what He really is like.

If we do not allow the testimony of Christ to impact our preconceptions of God's character (new wineskin to receive the new wine), it's inevitable that the errors in our thinking will persist. How could it be otherwise?

Quote:
GC:But truth is progressive. The more time passes, the more light is given. Today, we have much more light and capacity to see Jesus than did the early church just after His ascension. The "central" theme will always be the cross. The ancient Israelites were always looking forward to that, while modern Israel must always look back to it. It is the foundation of our redemption. However, if we had only the cross, and nothing more, by which to know Christ, we should have scant knowledge indeed. And as far as I'm concerned, our knowledge would also be quite limited if we had only those 33 years, and nothing more.

Here we are in disagreement. According the SOP, all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son. Here's her statement in more detail:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings.(8T 216)

Now given that *all* that man can know of God was revealed by Christ, it should be clear that if there is some additional thing we think we learn by supplementing this "all" we are in error! This couldn't be more clear.

Let me try to give an analogy. Let's say I have a twin brother. I've lived all my life with him, and I know him far better than anyone else. I give a full and complete account of him. An inspired writer says, "All that anyone can know of Tom's twin brother was made known by Tom's complete account of him."

Say some other people wrote some things about my brother, things which people find harder to understand than my account, which some people find to be in harmony with my account but others find not to be.

Isn't it clear that if what the inspired writer wrote is true, that anyone who has the idea that what these other people wrote differs from my account must be wrong? Isn't is also clear that my full account is the place to go if you really want to understand my twin?

Quote:
GC:Which brings us back to the plagues: God has shown us a part of Himself through these judgments. Without first understanding God's love, we could never hope to see the justice in His plagues. But sin cannot go unpunished. It is just.

I think it should be clear that if one thinks one sees some aspect of God which was not revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ while here in the flesh, what one thinks one sees must be in error. God most assuredly did not reveal anything about Himself through the plagues that He did not reveal in Christ.

In posts which follow, I'll present in more detail ideas related to how we should approach understanding God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #115375
07/03/09 05:30 PM
07/03/09 05:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: The earth opening up and swallowing the rebellious depicts force and violence? If so, who caused it to happen and why? What about the fire and the 250? And the plagues after probation closes?

T: MM, you should know what force and violence are. If you set someone on fire, that's violence. If you threaten to set someone on fire unless they do something you want them to do, that's force.

M: You didn't answer the question - Who caused it to happen and why?

T: Those who refused God's protection caused it to happen by forcing God to withdraw His protection.

How did they, in practical terms, force God to do something He didn't want to do? Or, did He want to do it? For example, how did the 250 force God to allow fire to kill them? Did they surround Him and bind His arms? Or, what? Please speak in practical terms. Thank you.

Quote:
M: Please cite examples of divine punishment in the Bible that did not involve force and violence.

T: I think you're asking the wrong question. What I've asserted is that God does not use force or violence to achieve His ends, whether to punish or overcome rebellion or forgive sinners or anything else.

As explained in "The Destruction of Jerusalem," in "The Great Controversy," God withdraws when rejected beyond a certain point. Force and violence may result as a result of this withdrawal, as evil beings use force and violence. However, *God* does not use force or violence.

M: You didn't provide an example of God punishing sinners without using force or violence.

T: I pointed out I didn't think you were asking the right question, and explained why.

Please indulge me, Tom. Or, are you going to insist I ask your questions and not mine own?

Quote:
M: Yes, you said evil beings resort to force and violence when God withdraws His protection, but my question doesn't concern such examples. BTW, do you know of examples of God withdrawing His protection and evil beings using force and violence?

T: Yes, there are many. The destruction of Jerusalem is one. The crucifixion of Christ is another. Job is another.

Thank you for answering my question. Your insight seems to imply evil men and angels only use force and violence when God withdraws His protection. It also seems to imply He violates their freedoms when He prevents them from using force and violence.

Quote:
M: Please answer the questions in relation to PP 404.

T: God withdraws His protection, which entails bad things happening as a result of either nature, evil beings, or one's health. I explained the principles involved in a lot of detail earlier in the this thread. The exact application doesn't matter. It's the general principles involved that are important.

M: You didn't honor my request.

In the past we've gone over these things in great detail, and I can't see that it's resulted in anything positive. It seems to me the reason why is that this approach is scratching where it doesn't itch. I think Teresa's explanation regarding Calvinism was excellent.

That is, if you look at Romans 9, it talks about how God unilaterally selected Jacob but rejected Esau. To a Calvinist, this is irrefutable evidence that God is alone responsible for who is saved and who is lost. Someone from our perspective looks for an alternative way of understanding this text. What drives how the text is interpreted, and similar texts, is our paradigm. We cannot divorce how we interpret Scripture from our paradigm.

So whether the destruction of the people you mentioned because God withdrew His protection in the realm of nature or the realm of evil beings is immaterial. That He didn't directly do it I derive Jesus Christ's revelation of God, as well as from the principles laid out by the SOP in regards to His character.

Tom, your unwillingness to deal with specific cases, such as the one described in PP 404, makes it impossible to arrive at any concrete conclusions. Please answer the questions I posted a few pages ago regarding PP 404.

Quote:
M: My paradigm allows me to take God at His word.

T: I think this statement betray a lack of acuity. Anyone with any paradigm can make this claim, and many people sincerely believe they are doing so, even when they have views such as that God will torment (or, perhaps more accurately, torture) people for all eternity.

The truth is evident when viewed in the context of the Bible.

Quote:
M: When the Bible says God did something, I take it to mean 1) He either caused it to happen, or 2) He commanded holy angels to do it, or 3) He permitted evil angels to do it. Your paradigm seems to disallow the first two possibilities.

T: Not at all. For example, the Bible says God created the universe. I believe God did this. There are many things that Bible says God did or commanded holy angels to do which I believe were done. In regards to 3), I don't think this is comprehensive enough. Post #115246 brings out some other salient possibilities.

I don't think God directly does or did anything contrary to what Jesus Christ revealed of God in His life and teachings while here with us in the flesh. I think His was a full and complete revelation of God. Setting people on fire, for example, I perceive to be contrary to Christ's teachings.

Please cite an example of Jesus withdrawing His protection, while here in the flesh, and permitting evil men or angels to cause death and destruction. Please do not cite the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 as an example of something Jesus did while here in the flesh.

Quote:
M: Isn't it clear in Rev 15 & 16 that it is God who will command holy angels to pour out the seven last plagues?

T: It's as clear as Scripture is that God destroyed Jerusalem, or that He killed Saul, or that He sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, or that He sent evil spirits to lie to Ahab, or that He will send strong delusion, or that He moved David to number Israel.

Are you implying that holy angels leaving the temple in heaven symbolizes evil angels? If so, where else in the Bible is this the case?

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115376
07/03/09 05:39 PM
07/03/09 05:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: This is addressed to everyone reading this thread. Isn't it clear in Rev 15 & 16 that it is God who will command holy angels to pour out the seven last plagues?

t: well, my brother, we are dealing with a symbolic book, are we not? so when are the angels literal and when are they symbolic?

Do you know of any other place in the Bible where holy angels leaving the temple in heaven symbolize evil angels? And, is it possible that the voice of God in Rev 15 symbolizes Satan?

Quote:
Rev 8:5 And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth:

does this "angel" literally cast a censor filled with fire onto the earth?

Probably not. What do you think?

Quote:
Rev 14:19 And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

does this "angel" literally have a sickle and literally gather grapes and literally press them in a winepress?

Probably not. What do you think?

Quote:
Rev 16:10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

does this angel literally have a bowl/vial full of darkness? will the darkness cast on the earth be really darkness or is it symbolic of the withdrawel of the HS?

Do you think the angel in this vision is an evil angel? If so, why? If not, why not?

Also, is there some kind of rule or principle we can use to determine which parts of Rev are literal and symbolic?

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115377
07/03/09 06:13 PM
07/03/09 06:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
t: along the same lines is the question, is God a punishing God or a God Who restrains evil? is He constantly protecting us from circumstances we are completely oblivious to. one thing i dont see in the punishing God view is His ceaseless protection of us. since our view of God determines our actions, how we treat others, that seems to be an important question.

M: Does God punish by withdrawing His protection? If so, who or what is responsible for causing the punishment?

t: answering a question with a question, eh? smile or you dont have an answer?

I was simply following your example. Ha! Yes, I have an observation.

You asked - "is God a punishing God or a God Who restrains evil?" Both are true.

"is He constantly protecting us from circumstances we are completely oblivious to." Yes. He also protects us from ones we are aware of.

Quote:
t: your conclusion, in my opinion, leaves itself wide open to justify any actions because "God would do it". if tom is right and God does not go against what He orders, then it behooves us to consider that and restudy, methinks.

M: I agree. And, we should probably base such studies on the assumption God is love and that He never does anything contrary to the truth.

t: but we cant help but bring our preconceived opinions into it, or read it according to what has happened to us. all of us. no one is exempt.

years ago my mother was saying something she shouldnt to my oldest daughter, then 3 or 4 years old. i got on my mother about it and her reply and "logic" was that she needed to be prepared to go through the persecution, supposedly by being persecuted now. crazy that made me seriously wonder what she had done to us the time we had with her as children?!?

i only bring that up to say that there are things in our lives we dont think about that influence how we spiritual things.

How do we determine what the truth is? And, is it safe and true to believe that God does nothing contrary to the truth? If so, is it true He commanded Moses to stone people to death?

Quote:
M: Who do you think caused the earth to open up and swallow the rebellious?

t: do you have a picture of what that would look like?

M: Yes. Please consider the story of Korah in the Bible.

M: And, who do you think caused the fire that killed the 250?

t: and this one?

M: Yes. The following story of the 250.

t: im asking about the picture that comes to mind when reading those accounts.

The picture that comes to mind is the one described in the Bible and in the SOP, namely, God caused the earth to open up and swallow the rebellious and then He caused fire to consume the 250. Are we supposed to assume those descriptions are symbolic of evils angels causing death and destruction?

Quote:
M: Finally, who do you think will cause the plagues that will kill sinners after probation closes?

t: lets take this one:

Rev 16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.
Rev 16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
Rev 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty....

are you saying that God is the evil spirits here?

M: Does this plague cause anyone to die? But to answer your question, no, I don't think God is the evil spirits that come out of the mouth of the dragon, beast, or false prophet. Instead, I believe God dispatched the 6th angel who poured out the 6th vial. Do you agree?

t: which does what? i mean what exactly does this angel do? is it a literal angel with a literal vial?

Yes, in the vision the details are literal, namely, John literally saw an angel with a vial, etc. I don't think he saw something he was unfamiliar with and used language he was familiar with to describe it. The description of the plagues in the SOP is most helpful. I take her explanation literally. She describes literal things happening in relation to the out pouring of the plagues.

What about you? Do you read her description literally?

Quote:
t: one final thought:

Today . . . heavenly messengers are passing through the length and breadth of the land, seeking to comfort the sorrowing, to protect the impenitent, to win the hearts of men to Christ. We cannot see them personally; nevertheless they are with us, guiding, directing, protecting. . . . {ML 303.2}

M: Amen!

t: glad you liked that. smile

I am totally sold on the truthfulness of that statement. But I am also interested in what you think about the rest of this thread. My interest in no way implies I am not more impressed with statements like the one you posted above.

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #115379
07/03/09 08:36 PM
07/03/09 08:36 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
.... Nature is the servant of her Creator. God does not annul His laws, or work contrary to them; but He is continually using them as His instruments. {FLB 28.5} so did God work contrary to His laws in the plagues of egypt? or anywhere else since peoples like to skip around instead of dealing with one issue at a time.

Why do you think He must have worked contrary to His laws in the plagues? [/quote]hey, my sister, where did i say that, hint or give any impression to that effect? crazy
Quote:
What about the occasion when He walked on the water? ellen white said the statements in the quote, not i? so who are you challenging? im trying to understand what she meant. didnt have a clue it would be taken so negatively. frown[quote]Or when the sun stood still in Joshua's day, or when He brought the shadow ten degrees backwards from the point to which it had gone down on the dial of Ahaz? Like Arnold said, can some laws we don't know be involved in these incidents?
since i seem to stepping on toes, now i will just back off. have a good day, y'all. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115380
07/03/09 08:56 PM
07/03/09 08:56 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Why do you think He must have worked contrary to His laws in the plagues?
T: hey, my sister, where did i say that, hint or give any impression to that effect?

confused Well, you gave me that impression when you said,
Quote:
so did God work contrary to His laws in the plagues of egypt? or anywhere else, since peoples like to skip around instead of dealing with one issue at a time.

I understand you implied He might be acting contrary to His laws in the plagues and asked if there were other examples of this having apparently happened. So I provided some other examples, and suggested that in these incidents there might be involved some laws we don't know.
Sorry, but I don't have a clue as to why you thought what you said was taken negatively. dunno
I was trying to contest the idea, true, but not in a negative tone.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115381
07/03/09 09:16 PM
07/03/09 09:16 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: This is addressed to everyone reading this thread. Isn't it clear in Rev 15 & 16 that it is God who will command holy angels to pour out the seven last plagues?

t: well, my brother, we are dealing with a symbolic book, are we not? so when are the angels literal and when are they symbolic?

Do you know of any other place in the Bible where holy angels leaving the temple in heaven symbolize evil angels? And, is it possible that the voice of God in Rev 15 symbolizes Satan?
hmmm, how did you get from there to here so-to-speak?
i put up the statements by ellen white some pages back on when Christ leaves the sanctuary. are we going to base our beliefs on that and her and the bibles other statements, or on something else? im asking if we are going to actually search the scriptures or just try to defend beliefs we already hold? ive been doing whatever word searches i could think of to see what she says on the subject and try to stay within that.
Quote:
Quote:
Rev 16:10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

does this angel literally have a bowl/vial full of darkness? will the darkness cast on the earth be really darkness or is it symbolic of the withdrawel of the HS?

Do you think the angel in this vision is an evil angel? If so, why? If not, why not?
where did you get evil angel from? ive looked back through my posts and cant see where i give the least hint that the angel in the vision was evil. as i stated above, is there some reason we shouldnt search the scriptures and sop for a better understanding? :0

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115383
07/03/09 10:30 PM
07/03/09 10:30 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
T: I don't think God directly does or did anything contrary to what Jesus Christ revealed of God in His life and teachings while here with us in the flesh. I think His was a full and complete revelation of God. Setting people on fire, for example, I perceive to be contrary to Christ's teachings.

MM:Please cite an example of Jesus withdrawing His protection, while here in the flesh, and permitting evil men or angels to cause death and destruction. Please do not cite the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 as an example of something Jesus did while here in the flesh.
forgive me, my brother, but i do not see how you can consider this any kind of legitimate question. while Jesus is just as much God as the Father is, He also laid aside all His powers and took on humanity while here on earth. if He wasnt exercising His powers here, He also wasnt exercising them to protect anyone. so how can there be any such example?

Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
Joh 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Christ came to the world to reveal the character of the Father, and to redeem the fallen race.{RH, January 7, 1890 par. 1}

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #115385
07/03/09 10:54 PM
07/03/09 10:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:How did they, in practical terms, force God to do something He didn't want to do? Or, did He want to do it? For example, how did the 250 force God to allow fire to kill them? Did they surround Him and bind His arms? Or, what? Please speak in practical terms. Thank you.

They did so in a similar manner mentioned here:

Quote:
Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 35)

Regarding whether it was something God didn't want to do, of course it wasn't!

Quote:
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!(Matt. 23:37)

Quote:
M: You didn't provide an example of God punishing sinners without using force or violence.

T: I pointed out I didn't think you were asking the right question, and explained why.

M:Please indulge me, Tom. Or, are you going to insist I ask your questions and not mine own?

Force isn't a principle of God's government. Neither is violence. Do you disagree?

Quote:
Thank you for answering my question. Your insight seems to imply evil men and angels only use force and violence when God withdraws His protection. It also seems to imply He violates their freedoms when He prevents them from using force and violence.

Do you really think so? Do you think the fact that God doesn't allow Satan to destroy the entire human race violates his freedom?

Quote:
Tom, your unwillingness to deal with specific cases, such as the one described in PP 404, makes it impossible to arrive at any concrete conclusions. Please answer the questions I posted a few pages ago regarding PP 404.

I've spent dozens of pages, if not hundreds, discussing these types of things with you, so it's not like I haven't done so in the past.

I don't think this approach is fruitful. I think the fruitful approach would be to consider the life and character of Christ first, from that obtaining a foundation upon which we may understand God's character. *After* so doing, we may consider incidents which apparently have God using force and violence, principles we know from the SOP to be contrary to His government.

Did you read my analogy of my making an account of my twin brother? Or read the posts where I spoke of Piaget and the lumps of clay?

Quote:
The truth is evident when viewed in the context of the Bible.

Jesus Christ is the truth. The truth is evident when we believe what He revealed about God.

Quote:
Please cite an example of Jesus withdrawing His protection, while here in the flesh, and permitting evil men or angels to cause death and destruction. Please do not cite the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 as an example of something Jesus did while here in the flesh.

The cross.

What example would you give?

Quote:
M: Isn't it clear in Rev 15 & 16 that it is God who will command holy angels to pour out the seven last plagues?

T: It's as clear as Scripture is that God destroyed Jerusalem, or that He killed Saul, or that He sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites, or that He sent evil spirits to lie to Ahab, or that He will send strong delusion, or that He moved David to number Israel.

MM:Are you implying that holy angels leaving the temple in heaven symbolizes evil angels?

No.

Quote:
If so, where else in the Bible is this the case?

N/A.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #115387
07/03/09 11:02 PM
07/03/09 11:02 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
You asked - "is God a punishing God or a God Who restrains evil?" Both are true.
maybe we need to define "punish" and i mean by the bible, the original meanings, and uses, and not the dictionary.

Quote:
How do we determine what the truth is? And, is it safe and true to believe that God does nothing contrary to the truth?
how about searching the scriptures and sop prayerfully?

Quote:
If so, is it true He commanded Moses to stone people to death?
this is off-topic and has to do with your agenda.
Quote:
Quote:
M: Who do you think caused the earth to open up and swallow the rebellious?
t: do you have a picture of what that would look like?
M: Yes. Please consider the story of Korah in the Bible.
M: And, who do you think caused the fire that killed the 250?
t: and this one?
M: Yes. The following story of the 250.
t: im asking about the picture that comes to mind when reading those accounts.

The picture that comes to mind is the one described in the Bible and in the SOP, namely, God caused the earth to open up and swallow the rebellious and then He caused fire to consume the 250. Are we supposed to assume those descriptions are symbolic of evils angels causing death and destruction?
this seems to be something you have just taken at face value and havent prayed and studied over. neither have i but i am now. it also is topicbut since the moderators be the bossmen and started it in the first place....i wouldnt mind it being explored eventually but this skipping all over the place has started wearing on my nerves big time-to put it mildly.
Quote:
Quote:
M: Finally, who do you think will cause the plagues that will kill sinners after probation closes?
t: lets take this one:
Rev 16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.
Rev 16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
Rev 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty....

are you saying that God is the evil spirits here?

M: Does this plague cause anyone to die? But to answer your question, no, I don't think God is the evil spirits that come out of the mouth of the dragon, beast, or false prophet. Instead, I believe God dispatched the 6th angel who poured out the 6th vial. Do you agree?

t: which does what? i mean what exactly does this angel do? is it a literal angel with a literal vial?

Yes, in the vision the details are literal, namely, John literally saw an angel with a vial, etc. I don't think he saw something he was unfamiliar with and used language he was familiar with to describe it. The description of the plagues in the SOP is most helpful. I take her explanation literally. She describes literal things happening in relation to the out pouring of the plagues.
in other words you havent really studied this out except superficially? otherwise the way you are stating things is rather confusing and give no evidence of dealing with the question. in other words it appears that you are saying you believe a literal angel will literally pour out some vial, instead of the angel and vial being symbolic of something that will happen.
Quote:

What about you? Do you read her description literally?
i have been collecting and integrating her statements on this subject. i am still studying and praying and dont believe i will have all the info all at once. as ellen white said, "we have much to unlearn and much to learn".

Page 20 of 91 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!