HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,491 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 46 of 49 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #115885
07/12/09 04:54 PM
07/12/09 04:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, GC. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I don't see that it in any way connects with what EGW actually wrote, or with the sermons (such as Prescott's "The Word Became Flesh") or workers (Jones and Waggoner) that she endorsed, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115887
07/12/09 06:45 PM
07/12/09 06:45 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Ok, GC. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I don't see that it in any way connects with what EGW actually wrote, or with the sermons (such as Prescott's "The Word Became Flesh") or workers (Jones and Waggoner) that she endorsed, but you're entitled to your opinion.
great post!! smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115891
07/12/09 10:16 PM
07/12/09 10:16 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Did He desire to eat crab? No, of course not. Did His sinful flesh nature desire for Him to eat crab. Most likely.

MM, that's like saying I didn't sin, it was my sinful flesh that committed the sin. You sound like my antinomian father and his pastor.

You said, "I have no desire to eat crab." Does your "sinful flesh nature" desire to eat crab?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115892
07/12/09 10:25 PM
07/12/09 10:25 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:If you're tempted, but you have no desire to do the thing tempted, this isn't really being tempted.

A:So when Jesus was tempted in all points that we are, he had a desire for those things?

I've discussed this at length. He had to fight the battle of Gal. 5, just like any other human since Adam's fall.

Do you mean that Jesus had a desire for those things that He was tempted with? For example, He had a desire to bow down to Satan, since He was tempted to do that?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115893
07/12/09 10:38 PM
07/12/09 10:38 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Just like the iniquities He took upon Himself were our iniquities. In short, the sinful nature He took made Him "have a sinful nature" as much as the sin He took made Him "have sin."

You'll notice that our pioneers (Jones, Waggoner, Prescott, Haskell, Ellen White, etc.) did not say that Christ "had" our sinful nature, but that He "took" it. This is to avoid confusion.

However, the rest of humanity "had" sinful nature, not "took" it. Different from Jesus.

To say that Christ "had" a sinful nature could be taken as implying He sinned.

Why? Does "having" a sinful nature mean the same as "having" sin?

BTW, post-Fall Adam "had" sinful nature. No need to tiptoe around the implications. As far as post-Fall Adam and sinful nature are concerned, he "had" it without question.

The fact that you can't say that Jesus "had" a sinful nature should have made it clear long ago that what Jesus "had" was not the same as what post-Fall Adam "had" in terms of the sinful nature.

However, we can safely say that Christ "had" sinful flesh. (this was said) Or that He took fallen humanity with all its inclinations. (this was also said)

But it was also said that we have a problem by "nature".
Quote:
Weighed and found wanting is our inscription by nature. {RH, March 8, 1906 par. 10}

That statement is true for us. It was true for post-Fall Adam. It was not true for Christ. Something that applied "by nature" to us and Adam did not apply to Jesus. Hence, "by nature" we are not the same.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115894
07/12/09 10:44 PM
07/12/09 10:44 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Did Jesus have a desire to sin?
Does a sanctified Christian have a desire to sin?
Is the answer to these two questions the same?

I believe the quotes from Paul above cover this. Again, Christ's mind was the mind of Christ, but His flesh was our flesh, which is sinful flesh. He had our sinful flesh, with the temptations which such flesh generates, but always said "No!" to those temptations.

Is it anything other than the mind that says Yes or No to temptations? What else makes this decision, apart from the mind?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Tom] #115896
07/12/09 10:53 PM
07/12/09 10:53 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
On the contrary, Jesus would have detested crab....

His overcoming a "temptation" like this certainly wouldn't help us much.

Tom, are you saying that Jesus craved crab, as I did?

Did He ever get to the point of not craving crab? Or did He want some to dip in His vinegar on the cross?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: asygo] #115899
07/13/09 02:49 AM
07/13/09 02:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:Do you mean that Jesus had a desire for those things that He was tempted with? For example, He had a desire to bow down to Satan, since He was tempted to do that?

The temptation wasn't really to bow down to Satan, right? That wouldn't even be a temptation to you, let alone Jesus. The temptation was to acquire the things that were offered by Satan by doing something which seems very easy to do.

I think had Christ not taken our fallen nature, He wouldn't have been tempted at all to bow down to Satan.

Quote:
T:You'll notice that our pioneers (Jones, Waggoner, Prescott, Haskell, Ellen White, etc.) did not say that Christ "had" our sinful nature, but that He "took" it. This is to avoid confusion.

A:However, the rest of humanity "had" sinful nature, not "took" it. Different from Jesus.

This is obvious. It is equivalent to saying the rest of humanity was not God. Different from Jesus.

Quote:
T:To say that Christ "had" a sinful nature could be taken as implying He sinned.

A:Why?

Because some people might take it that way. In general, there's a lot of confusion on this subject. For example, some people confuse being tempted from within with having sin. Haskell had to deal with misunderstandings of this type when dealing with the Holy Flesh adherents. The same arguments and objections they made are repeated today.

Quote:
Does "having" a sinful nature mean the same as "having" sin?

No.

Quote:
BTW, post-Fall Adam "had" sinful nature. No need to tiptoe around the implications. As far as post-Fall Adam and sinful nature are concerned, he "had" it without question.

The fact that you can't say that Jesus "had" a sinful nature should have made it clear long ago that what Jesus "had" was not the same as what post-Fall Adam "had" in terms of the sinful nature.

From the SOP:

Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

Christ had a sinless nature, which was His own, from eternity, a nature which was also divine. Upon that nature He took our sinful nature. That sinful nature, also referred to as "sinful flesh," was identical to ours.

The reason for not saying that Christ "had" our sinful nature has nothing to do with its being different in any way from ours, but with the fact that Christ, in addition to being human, was divine. That Christ's flesh was the same as ours was commonly understood. For example, from "The Word Became Flesh" (the sermon EGW endorsed as "truth separated from error")

Quote:
And notice, it was in sinful flesh that He was tempted, not the flesh in which Adam fell. This is wondrous truth, but I am wondrous glad that it is so. It follows at once that by birth, by being born into the same family, Jesus Christ is my brother in the flesh, "for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren." Heb. 2:11. He has come into the family, identified Himself with the family, is both father of the family and brother of the family. As father of the family, He stands for the family. He came to redeem the family, condemning sin in the flesh, uniting divinity with flesh of sin. Jesus Christ made the connection between God and man, that the divine spirit might rest upon humanity. He made the way for humanity.

Incidentally, it's for this same reason that Paul says that Christ was sent in the "likeness of sinful flesh" and that Christ was "made in the likeness of men."

Quote:
T:However, we can safely say that Christ "had" sinful flesh. (this was said) Or that He took fallen humanity with all its inclinations. (this was also said)

A:But it was also said that we have a problem by "nature".

Apart from partaking of the divine nature, we only have a sinful, human nature. So, of course, we have a problem by nature. Christ had to overcome the same problem we have of being tempted by sinful flesh, but in His case it was not a problem by "nature" but one by "incarnation."

Quote:
Weighed and found wanting is our inscription by nature. {RH, March 8, 1906 par. 10}

A:That statement is true for us. It was true for post-Fall Adam. It was not true for Christ.

That's correct. Christ's own nature was sinless and divine. He took our sinful nature upon that nature.

Quote:
Something that applied "by nature" to us and Adam did not apply to Jesus.

Right. Christ is divine, and sinless, by nature. He took our sinful nature upon that nature.

Quote:
Hence, "by nature" we are not the same.

Correct. By nature Christ is God. That's different from us. We are not the same.

Quote:
Is it anything other than the mind that says Yes or No to temptations? What else makes this decision, apart from the mind?

We don't receive "decisions" genetically. We receive flesh. The flesh we received is the same flesh Christ had. This is what our pioneers believed and taught.

Regarding how the mind comes into play, the following sermon by A. T. Jones explains this very well:

http://tiny.cc/ksuio

Sermon #17 discusses this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: asygo] #115902
07/13/09 03:39 AM
07/13/09 03:39 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Did He desire to eat crab? No, of course not. Did His sinful flesh nature desire for Him to eat crab. Most likely.

MM, that's like saying I didn't sin, it was my sinful flesh that committed the sin. You sound like my antinomian father and his pastor. You said, "I have no desire to eat crab." Does your "sinful flesh nature" desire to eat crab?

It's possible Jesus' sinful flesh nature did not tempt Him to eat crab.

Being tempted to eat crab is not a sin. I'm sure you agree. What is not clear to me is what you believe about temptations that originate internally. Do you think it is a sin to be tempted from within?

Or, do you think it's even possible for sinful flesh nature to tempt us from within?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? (2) [Re: Mountain Man] #115903
07/13/09 03:42 AM
07/13/09 03:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
GC: How could Jesus have acquired a taste for something He never tasted? How could Jesus at the same time have been a sin-hating, perfect being, and a sin-loving, self-restraining one?

Sorry, I'm not convinced that He ever toppled into the sin addiction. His problem was not overcoming an existing addiction, His struggle was to keep from ever falling in the first place, by constant reliance on God and constant watchfulness.

M: Do you believe Jesus was tempted internally in the same way and for the same reasons you and I are? That is, do you believe His sinful flesh nature tempted Him from within to indulge sin? Or, do you think His flesh nature encouraged Him to satisfy His innocent and legitimate needs in sinless ways? Were His internal promptings sinful or sinless?

GC: I'm not sure what you mean, so I am unlikely to be able to provide an accurate response. Particularly, what do you mean by "innocent and legitimate needs"? How is sin ever "innocent?" If you are speaking of something that was NOT sin, then it goes without saying that Jesus would not have sinned. If however it is sin, it cannot be innocent, nor legitimate.

I do not believe Jesus had all of the same temptations we do. I do not believe such would be either possible or necessary. However, I believe that Jesus had the same types of temptation to sin that we do. In other words, temptations to be proud, to indulge in self-centeredness, to seek ease and pleasure in place of carrying out difficult duties, to indulge fleshly appetites, etc. I do not believe the temptations came in the same forms we see today. Nor do I believe Jesus faced the temptations from the same sources. But I believe He did face the same categories of temptations that we do, and that His temptations were more severe than any of us is called to bear.

Here's what Ellen White wrote about innocent and legitimate needs:

"You are of that age when the will, the appetite, and the passions clamor for indulgence. God has implanted these in your nature for high and holy purposes. It is not necessary that they should become a curse to you by being debased. They will become this only when you refuse to submit to the control of reason and conscience. (3T 84)

"Our foes are within and without. We are assailed by temptations which are numerous and deceiving, the more perilous because not always clearly discerned. Often Satan conquers us by our natural inclinations and appetites. These were divinely appointed, and when given to man, were pure and holy. It was God’s design that reason should rule the appetites, and that they should minister to our happiness. And when they are regulated and controlled by a sanctified reason, they are holiness unto the Lord. (14 MR 294)

I take this to mean our bodies produce innocent and legitimate needs (appetites and passions) which in Christ believers are able to satisfy unto the honor and glory of God. However, it is also clear to me that our sinful flesh nature intercepts these needs and perverts them and we become aware of them in the form of unholy "lusts and affections".

For example, we become aware of thirst and hunger and happiness as, Eat and drink and do this or that unto excess and self-glorification. But in Christ believers may chose to reinterpret such clamorings as, Eat and drink and do this or that unto the honor and glory of God. I believe this is what Jesus experienced.

Do you agree?

Reply Quote
Page 46 of 49 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!