HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? #115958
07/13/09 10:21 PM
07/13/09 10:21 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I saw this question asked somewhere else and thought it would be a good one for us to look at here.

What denomination do you think the early believers (before the end of the first century) would feel most at home amongst if they were with us today?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Daryl] #115961
07/14/09 01:42 AM
07/14/09 01:42 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
I'm afraid they wouldn't be impressed with any of us and amazed we are still here.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Aaron] #115970
07/14/09 05:31 AM
07/14/09 05:31 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Aaron
I'm afraid they wouldn't be impressed with any of us and amazed we are still here.
i think i would have to agree with that. the true believers of that time would surely look at us in horror.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #115978
07/14/09 01:50 PM
07/14/09 01:50 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Interesting response.

Doesn't speak well for the last day believers.

Daryl smile

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Daryl] #115981
07/14/09 01:59 PM
07/14/09 01:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It depends on the local church family. The denomination doesn't matter. Anybody would feel loved and cherished and appreciated at our local church.

PS - I'm referring to the SDA church.

PPS - I can also testify that anybody would feel loved and cherished and appreciated at the Pugwash Camp Meeting in Nova Scotia, Canada. Also, SDA.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #116013
07/15/09 04:16 AM
07/15/09 04:16 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I think the apostles would be horrified to find that there are denominations in the first place. Considering that so many denominations have keeping appart from other denominations as their reason of existance (including an appaling number of adventists) and especially considering that the unity among christians is the sign that there are christians in the first place.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116016
07/15/09 05:18 AM
07/15/09 05:18 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
No, I don't think they would be surprised that Christianity has splintered into different groups -- they already saw it coming.

Paul says Christ will not come before there is a "falling away".
He gave strong warning of the main part of the church falling and one sitting in "God's temple" acting like God.

John also warned that most of the world would be worshipping in a false worship system. A "woman" symbolic of "Christ's bride" has joined herself with the kings of the earth, and has become "Babylon".

Peter in 2Peter 2 warned against false teachers and that many follow their pernicious ways and speak evil of the way of truth.

I don't think either Paul, nor John, nor Peter for that matter would look for God's people in the popular churches.

They would seek out a group who
"Have the faith of Jesus" -- righteousness by faith
And "keep the commandments of God" in spirit and in truth.
And "have love one for another".

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: dedication] #116017
07/15/09 09:02 AM
07/15/09 09:02 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
And failing to find this church, they would start again from scratch...

It might be that they would not be supprised, but you can well be horrified at expected disasters just as you can with suprising ones.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116028
07/15/09 03:21 PM
07/15/09 03:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"What denomination do you think the early believers (before the end of the first century) would feel most at home amongst if they were with us today?"

A healthy, loving, caring, truth filled, law abiding SDA church, of course. No doubt about it. This is not to say they would despise and reject members of other churches. No way! Instead, they would plead, "Come out of her, my people".

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #116120
07/17/09 03:14 AM
07/17/09 03:14 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
"What denomination do you think the early believers (before the end of the first century) would feel most at home amongst if they were with us today?"

A healthy, loving, caring, truth filled, law abiding SDA church, of course. No doubt about it. This is not to say they would despise and reject members of other churches. No way! Instead, they would plead, "Come out of her, my people".
What might "her" be refering to in this example of members in a healthy loving caring truthfilled and lawabiding SDA church?

And why would the early believers prefer a healthy loving caring truth filled and law abiding SDA church to a healthy loving caring truthfilled and law abiding church with a different name over its door?

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116155
07/17/09 02:50 PM
07/17/09 02:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. The "her" in "Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues", (Rev 18:4) must necessarily refer to the "mother and her harlots" (RCC and certain protestant churches), whose sins will result in them receiving the plagues. Ellen WHite wrote:

Quote:
Babylon is said to be "the mother of harlots." By her daughters must be symbolized churches that cling to her [RCC] doctrines and traditions, and follow her example of sacrificing the truth and the approval of God, in order to form an unlawful alliance with the world. The message of Revelation 14, announcing the fall of Babylon must apply to religious bodies that were once pure and have become corrupt. Since this message follows the warning of the judgment, it must be given in the last days; therefore it cannot refer to the Roman Church alone, for that church has been in a fallen condition for many centuries. Furthermore, in the eighteenth chapter of the Revelation the people of God are called upon to come out of Babylon. According to this scripture, many of God's people must still be in Babylon. And in what religious bodies are the greater part of the followers of Christ now to be found? Without doubt, in the various churches professing the Protestant faith. At the time of their rise these churches took a noble stand for God and the truth, and His blessing was with them. Even the unbelieving world was constrained to acknowledge the beneficent results that followed an acceptance of the principles of the gospel. In the words of the prophet to Israel: "Thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through My comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." But they fell by the same desire which was the curse and ruin of Israel--the desire of imitating the practices and courting the friendship of the ungodly. "Thou didst trust in thine own beauty, and playedst the harlot because of thy renown." Ezekiel 16:14, 15. {GC 382.3}

Many of the Protestant churches are following Rome's example of iniquitous connection with "the kings of the earth"--the state churches, by their relation to secular governments; and other denominations, by seeking the favor of the world. And the term "Babylon"--confusion--may be appropriately applied to these bodies, all professing to derive their doctrines from the Bible, yet divided into almost innumerable sects, with widely conflicting creeds and theories. {GC 383.1}

2. Do you have a particular church in mind whose fundamental beliefs are in harmony with everything the first century disciples and apostles held to be near and dear and worth dying for? Again, Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
Dear Brethren of the General Conference:

I testify to my brethren and sisters that the church of Christ, enfeebled and defective as it may be, is the only object on earth on which He bestows His supreme regard. While He extends to all the world His invitation to come to Him and be saved, He commissions His angels to render divine help to every soul that cometh to Him in repentance and contrition, and He comes personally by His Holy Spirit into the midst of His church. {TM 15.1}

Although there are evils existing in the church, and will be until the end of the world, the church in these last days is to be the light of the world that is polluted and demoralized by sin. The church, enfeebled and defective, needing to be reproved, warned, and counseled, is the only object upon earth upon which Christ bestows His supreme regard. The world is a workshop in which, through the cooperation of human and divine agencies, Jesus is making experiments by His grace and divine mercy upon human hearts. {TM 49.1}

My brother, I learn that you are taking the position that the Seventh-day Adventist Church is Babylon, and that all that would be saved must come out of her. You are not the only man the devil has deceived in this matter. For the last forty years, one man after another has arisen, claiming that the Lord has sent him with the same message; but let me tell you, as I have told them, that this message you are proclaiming is one of the satanic delusions designed to create confusion among the churches. {TM 58.4}

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #116376
07/20/09 01:34 PM
07/20/09 01:34 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Based in particular on the last EGW quote in the previous post, I would say the Early Believers would feel more at home in the SDA Church, though "enfeebled and defective, needing to be reproved, warned, and counseled", than in any other church.

IMO, those who are now shying away from the SDA Church on acccount of the "enfeebled and defective, needing to be reproved, warned, and counseled" aspect of our church are treading on dangerous ground.

Daryl smile

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Daryl] #116377
07/20/09 01:40 PM
07/20/09 01:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Very true. This is no time to be leaving the SDA church and looking elsewhere to worship with like minded believers.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #116379
07/20/09 01:48 PM
07/20/09 01:48 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Salvation through church membership thus...

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116401
07/20/09 07:16 PM
07/20/09 07:16 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Not salvation through church membership, but church membership through salvation.

Daryl smile

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Daryl] #116415
07/21/09 12:05 AM
07/21/09 12:05 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Have anyone read how the early believers lived? Have anyone ever been to a christian commune? That's how they lived.

Besides that our Church is far from living together in a community, there's many other issues that the early Church would not feel comfortable with our Church or any other denominations of today. If the early Church would be here today, they would live more like the Menonites. They live together in a community, they work together, they help each other daily, they go to church together which is nearby everyone's house, they set up their own rule or doctrines in their own Church and they evangelise(the men mainly and the community near me, they try to reform this as it was a weakness in the pass) together.

Besides that the woman are in submission, they stay at home and are housewives. The kids do not mingle with the world schools, no TVs and they minimize any worldly corruption.

Have you ever notice that we have become quite worldly and there's really no difference between us and the world?

I think if we only look at the lifestyle, they wouldn't feel comfortable with our Church at all. Now doctrines is another subject and quite an issue. Also the hierachal structure of our Church is very problematic and is another major issue making mass control very easy (eg. read the spiritual formation topic).

Originally Posted By: Bible
And all that believed were together, and had all things common; (Acts 2:44, KJV)
And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. (Acts 2:45, KJV)
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, (Acts 2:46, KJV)
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. (Acts 2:47, KJV)

Blessings
Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Elle] #116420
07/21/09 02:52 AM
07/21/09 02:52 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
you made some very good points
but there is no biblical, nor historical evidence, that the believers sold their homes and moved into communal living.

the essenes did, but that is quite apart from the believers.

they did sell and distribute their extra

Act 4:34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
Act 4:35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
Act 4:36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
Act 4:37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

communal living, like monastic living, is very much discouraged. people need to be witnesses to their neighbors.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Daryl] #116430
07/21/09 09:34 AM
07/21/09 09:34 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Daryl F
Not salvation through church membership, but church membership through salvation.
In my view a utopia, which like every utopia since the fall has one great defect. It only exist in a dreamworld.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #116431
07/21/09 09:35 AM
07/21/09 09:35 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Remembering to stay in the world while not being of it..

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116458
07/21/09 05:03 PM
07/21/09 05:03 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
precisely, but so easy to become laodicea, but communal living only gives a false impression of holiness. no safety in this world but Christ.

Last edited by teresaq; 07/21/09 05:04 PM.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116471
07/22/09 03:32 AM
07/22/09 03:32 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Are you saying that other denominations can be or are "truth filled"?

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: D R] #116494
07/22/09 08:31 AM
07/22/09 08:31 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: BeachBubbaDan (BBD)
Are you saying that other denominations can be or are "truth filled"?
It would be closer to say that I do not think "truth filled" is an adjective that applies to denominations at all. It applies to people who are living with our Lord Jesus Christ and such people are found inside and outside organisations such as denominations.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116555
07/22/09 10:11 PM
07/22/09 10:11 PM
D
dburt  Offline
Posting New Member
NE Oregon USA
Sacrificing truth for unity does not make for unity. Name the major denominations, churches or people groups that have a correct biblical view of the sabbath, the state of the dead, the judgement both before and after the 2nd coming, the manner of the second coming, sin being just an act or state of mind, being saved from sin and not in sin, a true world view of gospel mission and humanitarianism, the correct role of Jesus in human redemption as our example, savior and advocate judge, and a biblical understanding of Joel 2 and 2nd Peter as relates to a last days and end of time prophetic gift.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: dburt] #116576
07/23/09 01:21 PM
07/23/09 01:21 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
dburt, you have here defined one segment of adventism. A definition specific enough to not even include the entire SDA denomination.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116757
07/28/09 08:23 PM
07/28/09 08:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, I agree with you that the "body of Christ" (the church) consists of "truth filled" believers. But what do you make of God's description of His last day church (see passage below)? And, why do you think a "shaking" of the membership will be necessary prior to the close of probation?

Revelation
3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #116915
07/31/09 04:44 PM
07/31/09 04:44 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
There is no shaking mentioned in the passage quoted. The description given is acqurate since there are such people among the Church today. There are also people whom are described by the six other churches previous to Laodicea within the Church. And the view that every generation has people who fit each of the descriptions is supported by Ellen refering to contemporaries quoting different church messages in the DOA book.

A shaking of the apparent membership is done to show clearly the true membership, not of any denomination but of the Church. It is necessary because so many people are preoccupied with other things than walking with their Lord, despite claiming Him as their Lord. The preoccupation may range from things everyone recognise as sin to such things as many recognise as quite pious. A puritan may well be found out not knowing the Lord while an apparent sinner may be found out to know Him. Let everyone be judged by the Lord and aquited or condemned as is their due by Him.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116963
08/01/09 09:50 PM
08/01/09 09:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, it is unclear to me what you believe about the SDA Church's claim to be the remnant church of prophecy. Do you think the following insights imply all Christian Churches make up the remnant church of prophecy? If not, what do you think Ellen White was trying to convey?

Although there are evils existing in the church, and will be until the end of the world, the church in these last days is to be the light of the world that is polluted and demoralized by sin. The church, enfeebled and defective, needing to be reproved, warned, and counseled, is the only object upon earth upon which Christ bestows His supreme regard. The world is a workshop in which, through the cooperation of human and divine agencies, Jesus is making experiments by His grace and divine mercy upon human hearts. Angels are amazed as they behold the transformation of character brought about in those who yield themselves to God, and they express their joy in songs of rapturous praise to God and to the Lamb. They see those who are by nature the children of wrath, converted and becoming laborers together with Christ in drawing souls to God. They see those who were in darkness becoming lights to shine amid the moral night of this wicked and perverse generation. They see them becoming prepared by a Christlike experience to suffer with their Lord, and afterward to be partakers with Him in His glory in heaven above. {TM 49.1}

God has a church on earth who are lifting up the downtrodden law, and presenting to the world the Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world. The church is the depositary of the wealth of the riches of the grace of Christ, and through the church eventually will be made manifest the final and full display of the love of God to the world that is to be lightened with its glory. The prayer of Christ that His church may be one as He was one with His Father will finally be answered. The rich dowry of the Holy Spirit will be given, and through its constant supply to the people of God they will become witnesses in the world of the power of God unto salvation. {TM 50.1}

The people who have braved out their rebellion will fulfill the description given in Revelation 6:15-17. In these very caves and dens they find the very statement of truth in the letters and in the publications as witness against them. The shepherds who lead the sheep in false paths will hear the charge made against them, "It was you who made light of truth. It was you who told us that God's law was abrogated, that it was a yoke of bondage. It was you who voiced the false doctrines when I was convicted that these Seventh-day Adventists had the truth. The blood of our souls is upon your priestly garments. . . . Now will you pay the ransom for my soul? . . . What shall we do who listened to your garbling of the Scriptures and your turning into a lie the truth which if obeyed would have saved us?" {Mar 290.3}

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #116970
08/01/09 11:47 PM
08/01/09 11:47 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
There is no shaking mentioned in the passage quoted. The description given is acqurate since there are such people among the Church today. There are also people whom are described by the six other churches previous to Laodicea within the Church. And the view that every generation has people who fit each of the descriptions is supported by Ellen refering to contemporaries quoting different church messages in the DOA book.

A shaking of the apparent membership is done to show clearly the true membership, not of any denomination but of the Church. It is necessary because so many people are preoccupied with other things than walking with their Lord, despite claiming Him as their Lord. The preoccupation may range from things everyone recognise as sin to such things as many recognise as quite pious. A puritan may well be found out not knowing the Lord while an apparent sinner may be found out to know Him. Let everyone be judged by the Lord and aquited or condemned as is their due by Him.
i understood what you said and what you meant, i believe.

Some are naturally combative. . . . They would like to enter into controversy, would like to fight for their particular ideas; but they should lay this aside, for it is not developing the Christian graces. Work with all your power to answer the prayer of Christ, that His disciples may be one as He is one with the Father.—Ibid. (Review and Herald, Nov. 11, 1965). {CTr 363.8}

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #116993
08/02/09 10:14 AM
08/02/09 10:14 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, my view of the SDA churches claim to be the "remnant church" may be described by the phrase (hot air)..
The first two quotes fit quite well with this view that the Church is made up of all believers. The third quote, are you sure Ellen wrote it?

Teresa, your quote speaks the truth, and in my view also negates the remnant church claims so often heard. His disciples will never be one as long as some disciples are convinced they are better disciples than the other disciples.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #117061
08/03/09 07:18 PM
08/03/09 07:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mike, my view of the SDA churches claim to be the "remnant church" may be described by the phrase (hot air)..

Thank you for answering my question.

Quote:
The first two quotes fit quite well with this view that the Church is made up of all believers.

I believe Ellen White was referring specifically to the SDA Church. Do you agree? Or, do you think that by "the church" she was including all Christian churches?

Quote:
The third quote, are you sure Ellen wrote it?

Yes. Why do you ask?

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117062
08/03/09 07:31 PM
08/03/09 07:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Some are naturally combative. . . . They would like to enter into controversy, would like to fight for their particular ideas; but they should lay this aside, for it is not developing the Christian graces. Work with all your power to answer the prayer of Christ, that His disciples may be one as He is one with the Father.—Ibid. (Review and Herald, Nov. 11, 1965). {CTr 363.8}

Do you think Jesus' unity prayer includes Babylon (by "Babylon" I mean it in the sense described in the quotes below). BTW, I am not implying you do. I'm just asking because I don't know what you believe about the Remnant Church and the Babylonian Churches.

[quote] Babylon is said to be "the mother of harlots." By her daughters must be symbolized churches that cling to her doctrines and traditions, and follow her example of sacrificing the truth and the approval of God, in order to form an unlawful alliance with the world. The message of Revelation 14, announcing the fall of Babylon must apply to religious bodies that were once pure and have become corrupt. Since this message follows the warning of the judgment, it must be given in the last days; therefore it cannot refer to the Roman Church alone, for that church has been in a fallen condition for many centuries. Furthermore, in the eighteenth chapter of the Revelation the people of God are called upon to come out of Babylon. According to this scripture, many of God's people must still be in Babylon. {GC 382.3}

And in what religious bodies are the greater part of the followers of Christ now to be found? Without doubt, in the various churches professing the Protestant faith. At the time of their rise these churches took a noble stand for God and the truth, and His blessing was with them. Even the unbelieving world was constrained to acknowledge the beneficent results that followed an acceptance of the principles of the gospel. In the words of the prophet to Israel: "Thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through My comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." But they fell by the same desire which was the curse and ruin of Israel--the desire of imitating the practices and courting the friendship of the ungodly. "Thou didst trust in thine own beauty, and playedst the harlot because of thy renown." Ezekiel 16:14, 15. {GC 382.3}

Many of the Protestant churches are following Rome's example of iniquitous connection with "the kings of the earth"--the state churches, by their relation to secular governments; and other denominations, by seeking the favor of the world. And the term "Babylon"--confusion--may be appropriately applied to these bodies, all professing to derive their doctrines from the Bible, yet divided into almost innumerable sects, with widely conflicting creeds and theories. {GC 383.1}[/quote}
I believe there are sincere Christians in the Babylonian Churches, and that they will leave them and join the Remnant Church (i.e. SDA Church) during the MOB crisis. They will respond to the call, "Come out of her, My people." Is this how you see it playing out?

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117093
08/04/09 01:30 PM
08/04/09 01:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, Who knows wither Ellen was exclusively referring to the SDA church or to the whole Church? It would require more context to find out. But if she was referring to the SDA church exclusively, which might and might not have been true in her lifetime, the answer would today be one of including all Christians as part of the Church.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117094
08/04/09 01:33 PM
08/04/09 01:33 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
If I may give responce to your questions for Teresa, Mike, Id point out that Jesus took pains to include the outcasts and sinners of the time He walked on earth. What would it take for Him to change character?

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117132
08/05/09 01:46 PM
08/05/09 01:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Yes. Why do you ask?

Also, yes, Jesus was attracted to those who were attracted to Him. "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." (James 4:8) But He never sought out the company of those who were willfully refusing to live in harmony with the will of God. "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." (1 Cor 5:11)

On a different note, I don't see where you addressed Ellen White's insights regarding who and what makes up Babylon. See quotes above. Do you agree with her?

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117133
08/05/09 01:56 PM
08/05/09 01:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Do you think Jesus' unity prayer includes Babylon (by "Babylon" I mean it in the sense described in the quotes below). BTW, I am not implying you do. I'm just asking because I don't know what you believe about the Remnant Church and the Babylonian Churches.

Quote:
Babylon is said to be "the mother of harlots." By her daughters must be symbolized churches that cling to her doctrines and traditions, and follow her example of sacrificing the truth and the approval of God, in order to form an unlawful alliance with the world. The message of Revelation 14, announcing the fall of Babylon must apply to religious bodies that were once pure and have become corrupt. Since this message follows the warning of the judgment, it must be given in the last days; therefore it cannot refer to the Roman Church alone, for that church has been in a fallen condition for many centuries. Furthermore, in the eighteenth chapter of the Revelation the people of God are called upon to come out of Babylon. According to this scripture, many of God's people must still be in Babylon. {GC 382.3}

And in what religious bodies are the greater part of the followers of Christ now to be found? Without doubt, in the various churches professing the Protestant faith. At the time of their rise these churches took a noble stand for God and the truth, and His blessing was with them. Even the unbelieving world was constrained to acknowledge the beneficent results that followed an acceptance of the principles of the gospel. In the words of the prophet to Israel: "Thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through My comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." But they fell by the same desire which was the curse and ruin of Israel--the desire of imitating the practices and courting the friendship of the ungodly. "Thou didst trust in thine own beauty, and playedst the harlot because of thy renown." Ezekiel 16:14, 15. {GC 382.3}

Many of the Protestant churches are following Rome's example of iniquitous connection with "the kings of the earth"--the state churches, by their relation to secular governments; and other denominations, by seeking the favor of the world. And the term "Babylon"--confusion--may be appropriately applied to these bodies, all professing to derive their doctrines from the Bible, yet divided into almost innumerable sects, with widely conflicting creeds and theories. {GC 383.1}

I believe there are sincere Christians in the Babylonian Churches, and that they will leave them and join the Remnant Church (i.e. SDA Church) during the MOB crisis. They will respond to the call, "Come out of her, My people." Is this how you see it playing out?

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117187
08/06/09 11:16 AM
08/06/09 11:16 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Yes. Why do you ask?
I ask because it sticks out like a sore eye from the others.
Quote:

Also, yes, Jesus was attracted to those who were attracted to Him. "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." (James 4:8) But He never sought out the company of those who were willfully refusing to live in harmony with the will of God. "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." (1 Cor 5:11)
Jesus sought out the corrupt state workers, he sought out the brothel worker, he included a terrorist among the 12. Whom he could not reach and therefore did not seek out was the selfsufficient ones. Those whom regarded themselves to be enough assurance of their own salvation.
Quote:

On a different note, I don't see where you addressed Ellen White's insights regarding who and what makes up Babylon. See quotes above. Do you agree with her?
Is that not the very topic of my last posting?

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #117200
08/06/09 05:06 PM
08/06/09 05:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, it seems to me Jesus embraced those who embraced Him. Yes, some of them were grievous sinners, but while in His presence they did not practice their sins. IOW, He didn't hang out with them while they were practicing their sins. They hung out with Him on His terms.

Also, I think it is pretty clear that "the church" quotes posted above are referring to the SDA church exclusively. I don't think she had in mind other churches. I suppose this sounds like another eye sore, but I think it is clear she believed the "remnant" (Rev 12:17) applied to the SDA church in the same way Jesus believed "salvation is of the Jews". (John 4:22)

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117202
08/06/09 05:14 PM
08/06/09 05:14 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Thomas, it seems to me Jesus embraced those who embraced Him. Yes, some of them were grievous sinners, but while in His presence they did not practice their sins. IOW, He didn't hang out with them while they were practicing their sins. They hung out with Him on His terms.

Although the shadow of a great sorrow fell upon them, a spirit of rivalry found a place in their hearts. They disputed among themselves which should be accounted greatest in the kingdom. This strife they thought to conceal from Jesus, and they did not, as usual, press close to His side, but loitered behind, so that He was in advance of them as they entered Capernaum. Jesus read their thoughts, and He longed to counsel and instruct them. But for this He awaited a quiet hour, when their hearts should be open to receive His words. {DA 432.2}

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #117238
08/07/09 02:25 AM
08/07/09 02:25 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Good quote. Judas most likely practiced his sins while out of ear shoot or out of sight. Even the caviling church leaders plotted against Jesus while out of sight. While in His presence, though, their hearts often burned within them.

John
7:45 Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
7:46 The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117245
08/07/09 04:24 AM
08/07/09 04:24 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Now when the Pharisee which had bidden Him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This Man, if He were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth Him; for she is a sinner." {ST, May 9, 1900 par. 5}... Reading Simon's thoughts, Christ answered them before he had spoken, thus showing that He was a prophet of prophets. "Simon," He said, "I have somewhat to say unto thee. . . . There was a certain creditor which had two debtors; the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And He said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged." {ST, May 9, 1900 par. 8}

This had led to questioning as to who should fill the highest offices. On Peter's return from the sea, the disciples told him of the Saviour's question, and at last one ventured to ask Jesus, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" {DA 435.1}

According to their custom, His disciples sat close about Him, and "there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judea, and Jerusalem." These had come as spies, seeking an accusation against Jesus. Outside of these officials thronged the promiscuous multitude, the eager, the reverent, the curious, and the unbelieving. ...{DA 267.5}...
They marked the interest with which all were watching the scene, and they felt a terrible fear of losing their own influence over the people. {DA 268.5}
These dignitaries did not exchange words together, but looking into one another's faces they read the same thought in each, that something must be done to arrest the tide of feeling. Jesus had declared that the sins of the paralytic were forgiven. The Pharisees caught at these words as blasphemy, and conceived that they could present this as a sin worthy of death. They said in their hearts, "He blasphemeth: who can forgive sins but One, even God?" Mark 2:7, R. V. {DA 269.1}
Fixing His glance upon them, beneath which they cowered, and drew back, Jesus said, "Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts? For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins," He said, turning to the paralytic, "Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house." {DA 269.2}
its going to be extremely difficult to find where people were not practicing their sins in Jesus presence.

actually it is extremely difficult to find a person past, living, or future, who has not/is not/will not practice sins in the presence of God.

the building of war implements with the resulting march on the new jerusalem will be "practiced" in the presence of God.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117304
08/09/09 01:19 PM
08/09/09 01:19 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden

Also, I think it is pretty clear that "the church" quotes posted above are referring to the SDA church exclusively. I don't think she had in mind other churches. I suppose this sounds like another eye sore, but I think it is clear she believed the "remnant" (Rev 12:17) applied to the SDA church in the same way Jesus believed "salvation is of the Jews". (John 4:22)

But if you read the entire thought to the finnish, you will find that "salvation is of the jews" is already a thing of the past..

21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

There was a time when salvation was of the jews, but now it is not so confined anymore.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #117390
08/10/09 03:15 PM
08/10/09 03:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Thomas, it seems to me Jesus embraced those who embraced Him. Yes, some of them were grievous sinners, but while in His presence they did not practice their sins. IOW, He didn't hang out with them while they were practicing their sins. They hung out with Him on His terms.

t: its going to be extremely difficult to find where people were not practicing their sins in Jesus presence.

actually it is extremely difficult to find a person past, living, or future, who has not/is not/will not practice sins in the presence of God.

the building of war implements with the resulting march on the new jerusalem will be "practiced" in the presence of God.

"Jesus embraced those who embraced Him." I wasn't talking about God being omnipresent and the fact no one can sin apart from His presence.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #117391
08/10/09 03:24 PM
08/10/09 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

But if you read the entire thought to the finnish, you will find that "salvation is of the jews" is already a thing of the past..

21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

There was a time when salvation was of the jews, but now it is not so confined anymore.

I think it is clear (in the quotes posted awhile ago) she believed the "remnant" (Rev 12:17) applied to the SDA church in the same way Jesus believed "salvation is of the Jews". (John 4:22) IOW, a complete knowledge of salvation is only available through the SDA Church in the same way it was only available through the Jews. Again, please keep in mind what I've said so many times before, namely, people can experience rebirth through the incomplete knowledge available in other Christian churches. Nevertheless, they cannot complete the process of converting to obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded through these churches. Why? Because their knowledge of everything Jesus commanded is either incorrect or incomplete.

Matthew
28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117405
08/10/09 05:55 PM
08/10/09 05:55 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
M: Thomas, it seems to me Jesus embraced those who embraced Him. Yes, some of them were grievous sinners, but while in His presence they did not practice their sins. IOW, He didn't hang out with them while they were practicing their sins. They hung out with Him on His terms.

Now when the Pharisee which had bidden Him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This Man, if He were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth Him; for she is a sinner." {ST, May 9, 1900 par. 5}... Reading Simon's thoughts, Christ answered them before he had spoken, thus showing that He was a prophet of prophets. "Simon," He said, "I have somewhat to say unto thee. . . . There was a certain creditor which had two debtors; the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And He said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged." {ST, May 9, 1900 par. 8}

This had led to questioning as to who should fill the highest offices. On Peter's return from the sea, the disciples told him of the Saviour's question, and at last one ventured to ask Jesus, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" {DA 435.1}

According to their custom, His disciples sat close about Him, and "there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judea, and Jerusalem." These had come as spies, seeking an accusation against Jesus. Outside of these officials thronged the promiscuous multitude, the eager, the reverent, the curious, and the unbelieving. ...{DA 267.5}...
They marked the interest with which all were watching the scene, and they felt a terrible fear of losing their own influence over the people. {DA 268.5}
These dignitaries did not exchange words together, but looking into one another's faces they read the same thought in each, that something must be done to arrest the tide of feeling. Jesus had declared that the sins of the paralytic were forgiven. The Pharisees caught at these words as blasphemy, and conceived that they could present this as a sin worthy of death. They said in their hearts, "He blasphemeth: who can forgive sins but One, even God?" Mark 2:7, R. V. {DA 269.1}
Fixing His glance upon them, beneath which they cowered, and drew back, Jesus said, "Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts? For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins," He said, turning to the paralytic, "Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house." {DA 269.2}

t: its going to be extremely difficult to find where people were not practicing their sins in Jesus presence.

"Jesus embraced those who embraced Him." I wasn't talking about God being omnipresent and the fact no one can sin apart from His presence.
i deleted my other two points so that it wouldnt be so confusing. and have reinstated the examples of the constant sinning in Christs presence. smile

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #117413
08/10/09 08:50 PM
08/10/09 08:50 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Originally Posted By: Thomas
Originally Posted By: MM

I haven't been following thid thread, but it seems to me the concept of the remnant has nothing to do with salvation. It has to do with a message to the world.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Rosangela] #117421
08/10/09 09:40 PM
08/10/09 09:40 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Originally Posted By: Thomas

I haven't been following thid thread, but it seems to me the concept of the remnant has nothing to do with salvation. It has to do with a message to the world.
could you elaborate on that more. i didnt quite understand it.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #117479
08/11/09 01:03 PM
08/11/09 01:03 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike, We may have to agree on cordial disagreement here.

Rosangela, you should be telling that to Mike. Just refer to his post two posts before yours.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #117486
08/11/09 01:48 PM
08/11/09 01:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

t: i deleted my other two points so that it wouldnt be so confusing. and have reinstated the examples of the constant sinning in Christs presence. smile

Are you talking about the same type of people I am? Please note that I am referring specifically to those who embraced Jesus. Are you saying Jesus hung out with them while they were in the throes of willfully practicing their grievous sins?

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Rosangela] #117488
08/11/09 02:22 PM
08/11/09 02:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Also, I think it is pretty clear that "the church" quotes posted above are referring to the SDA church exclusively. I don't think she had in mind other churches. I suppose this sounds like another eye sore, but I think it is clear she believed the "remnant" (Rev 12:17) applied to the SDA church in the same way Jesus believed "salvation is of the Jews". (John 4:22)

V: There was a time when salvation was of the jews, but now it is not so confined anymore.

R: I haven't been following this thread, but it seems to me the concept of the remnant has nothing to do with salvation. It has to do with a message to the world.

Can we divorce the mission and message of the Remnant Church from salvation? I am using the word "salvation" in the same sense Jesus did - "Salvation is of the Jews". In other words, isn't it true that Jesus raised up the SDA Church to preach and proclaim the 3AMs? Who else did He commission to do it? And, doesn't the salvation of souls depend on their reception or rejection of the 3AMs during the final hours earth's history? Ellen White wrote:

"In a special sense Seventh-day Adventists have been set in the world as watchmen and light bearers. To them has been entrusted the last message of mercy for a perishing world. On them is shining wonderful light from the Word of God. {HP 314.2}

The whole world is to be stirred with enmity against Seventh-day Adventists, because they will not yield homage to the papacy, by honoring Sunday, the institution of this antichristian power. It is the purpose of Satan to cause them to be blotted from the earth, in order that his supremacy of the world may not be disputed. {TM 36.2}

If ever there was a time in the history of Seventh-day Adventists when they should arise and shine, it is now. No voice should be restrained from proclaiming the third angel's message. Let none, for fear of losing prestige with the world, obscure one ray of light coming from the Source of all light. {UL 171.2}

The Lord calls upon you, oh, church that has been blessed with the truth, to give a knowledge of this truth to those who know it not. From one end of the world to the other must the message of Christ's soon coming be proclaimed. The third angel's message--the last message of mercy to a perishing world --is so precious, so glorious. Let the truth go forth as a lamp that burneth. Mysteries into which angels desire to look, which prophets and kings and righteous men desired to know, the church of God is to make known. {MM 333.4}

When Christ entered the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary to perform the closing work of the atonement, He committed to His servants the last message of mercy to be given to the world. Such is the warning of the third angel of Revelation 14. Immediately following its proclamation, the Son of man is seen by the prophet coming in glory to reap the harvest of the earth. {SR 379.1}

Had Adventists, after the great disappointment in 1844, held fast their faith and followed on unitedly in the opening providence of God, receiving the message of the third angel and in the power of the Holy Spirit proclaiming it to the world, they would have seen the salvation of God, the Lord would have wrought mightily with their efforts, the work would have been completed, and Christ would have come ere this to receive His people to their reward. {Ev 695.3}

While the work of salvation is closing, trouble will be coming on the earth, and the nations will be angry, yet held in check so as not to prevent the work of the third angel. At that time the "latter rain," or refreshing from the presence of the Lord, will come, to give power to the loud voice of the third angel, and prepare the saints to stand in the period when the seven last plagues shall be poured out. {Mar 259.1}

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #117490
08/11/09 02:27 PM
08/11/09 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mike, We may have to agree on cordial disagreement here.

Okay. If Jesus' coming is really and truly nigh at hand, then we shall know soon enough if Seventh-day Adventists are God's chosen vessels to disseminate "the last message of mercy to a perishing world."

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117492
08/11/09 02:46 PM
08/11/09 02:46 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
We will indeed. May it not delay beyond whats necessary for all who will to turn to God as is His will.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117494
08/11/09 02:47 PM
08/11/09 02:47 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Can we divorce the mission and message of the Remnant Church from salvation? I am using the word "salvation" in the same sense Jesus did - "Salvation is of the Jews". In other words, isn't it true that Jesus raised up the SDA Church to preach and proclaim the 3AMs? Who else did He commission to do it? And, doesn't the salvation of souls depend on their reception or rejection of the 3AMs during the final hours earth's history? Ellen White wrote:

Hi MM, what you said here made me think. Ellen White says history is bound to happen again. Did the Church of Jesus time, which were a remnant of Judah, proclame salvation????? A big No to that question. It was, 40 lay people that responded to Jesus, that got filled with the early rain, and proclaim the salvation to the Jews first, but then it was prociaimed to the gentiles.

Now let's make a parallele to Christ 1st coming to Christ 2nd Coming. Can we say that our Church, a very Laodicean minded Church, can equal the Church at Jesus 1st coming. I think we are very similar. So do you see in Revelation 3 where it state that the Laodicean Church repented? Do you see anywhere in Revelation that it's going to be that Church that's going to finish the work?

It was not the organized Church of the Jews that proclaimed salvation to the world, it was a little Layic group that did the work. I believe history will repeat itself.

Blessings
Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Elle] #117495
08/11/09 02:57 PM
08/11/09 02:57 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
To add to what Elle wrote, we may further notice that Jesus disciples came from all walks of life in the land, and would it be stating to much to conclude that at least one of them was a samaritan woman and another a roman officer?

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #117498
08/11/09 04:04 PM
08/11/09 04:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:

It seems to me that to the SDA Church was entrusted a special message of God to the world. This is different from saying that all those who accept the message are saved. This is also different from saying that no other church at present is fulfilling Jesus' comission of preaching the gospel to the whole world.
However, at the end, when the world is divided into only two classes - those who serve God and those who oppose God - all those who serve God will be in harmony with the message entrusted to the SDA Church - the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Rosangela] #117553
08/12/09 02:20 PM
08/12/09 02:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Elle, in addition to what Rosangela wrote above, please consider the prophecies regarding "the shaking". The Laodicean Church (SDA) will experience a shaking. The impure and unsanctified members will leave the church and join the ranks of opposition. Then this newly refined and purified SDA Church will call people out of Babylon. The effect is a two way exodus between Laodicea and Babylon. The result will be two classes of people and two churches - 1) Those who imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep the Sabbath, and 2) Those who imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep Sunday.

Quote:
Chap. 12. - The Shaking

Church Membership No
Guarantee of Salvation

It is a solemn statement that I make to the church, that not one in twenty whose names are registered upon the church books are prepared to close their earthly history, and would be as verily without God and without hope in the world as the common sinner.--ChS 41 (1893). {LDE 172.1}
Those who have had opportunities to hear and receive of the truth and who have united with the Seventh-day Adventist church, calling themselves the commandment-keeping people of God, and yet possess no more vitality and consecration to God than do the nominal churches, will receive the plagues of God just as verily as the churches who oppose the law of God.--19MR 176 (1898). {LDE 172.2}

The Chaff Separated From the Wheat

Divisions will come in the church. Two parties will be developed. The wheat and tares grow up together for the harvest.--2SM 114 (1896). {LDE 172.3}
There will be a shaking of the sieve. The chaff must in time be separated from the wheat. Because iniquity abounds, the love of many waxes cold. It is the very time when the genuine will be the strongest.--Letter 46, 1887. {LDE 173.1}
The history of the rebellion of Dathan and Abiram is being repeated, and will be repeated till the close of time. Who will be on the Lord's side? Who will be deceived, and in their turn become deceivers?--Letter 15, 1892. {LDE 173.2}
The Lord is soon to come. There must be a refining, winnowing process in every church, for there are among us wicked men who do not love the truth or honor God.--RH March 19, 1895. {LDE 173.3}
We are in the shaking time, the time when everything that can be shaken will be shaken. The Lord will not excuse those who know the truth if they do not in word and deed obey His commands.--6T 332 (1900). {LDE 173.4}

Persecution Cleanses the Church

Prosperity multiplies a mass of professors. Adversity purges them out of the church.--4T 89 (1876). {LDE 173.5}
The time is not far distant when the test will come to every soul. The mark of the beast will be urged upon us. Those who have step by step yielded to worldly demands and conformed to worldly customs will not find it a hard matter to yield to the powers that be, rather than subject themselves to derision, insult,
threatened imprisonment, and death. The contest is between the commandments of God and the commandments of men. In this time the gold will be separated from the dross in the church.--5T 81 (1882). {LDE 173.6}
In the absence of the persecution there have drifted into our ranks men who appear sound and their Christianity unquestionable, but who, if persecution should arise, would go out from us.--Ev 360 (1890). {LDE 174.1}
When the law of God is made void the church will be sifted by fiery trials, and a larger proportion than we now anticipate will give heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils.--2SM 368 (1891). {LDE 174.2}
Superficial Believers Will Renounce the Faith

The work which the church has failed to do in a time of peace and prosperity she will have to do in a terrible crisis under most discouraging, forbidding circumstances. The warnings that worldly conformity has silenced or withheld must be given under the fiercest opposition from enemies of the faith. And at that time the superficial, conservative [ELLEN WHITE IS NOT HERE DISTINGUISHING THEOLOGICAL CONSERVATIVES FROM THEIR LIBERAL COUNTERPARTS; SHE IS DESCRIBING THOSE WHO PUT "WORLDLY CONFORMITY" FIRST AND GOD'S CAUSE SECOND.] class, whose influence has steadily retarded the progress of the work, will renounce the faith.--5T 463 (1885). {LDE 174.3}
If Satan sees that the Lord is blessing His people and preparing them to discern his delusions, he will
work with his master power to bring in fanaticism on the one hand and cold formalism on the other, that he may gather in a harvest of souls.--2SM 19 (1890). {LDE 174.4}
Those who have had privileges and opportunities to become intelligent in regard to the truth and yet who continue to counterwork the work God would have accomplished will be purged out, for God accepts the service of no man whose interest is divided.--Ms 64, 1898. {LDE 175.1}
As trials thicken around us, both separation and unity will be seen in our ranks. Some who are now ready to take up weapons of warfare will in times of real peril make it manifest that they have not built upon the solid rock; they will yield to temptation. Those who have had great light and precious privileges but have not improved them will, under one pretext or another, go out from us.--6T 400 (1900). {LDE 175.2}
The Straight Testimony Produces a Shaking

I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen, and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this will cause a shaking among God's people.--1T 181 (1857). {LDE 175.3}
There are those among us who will make confessions, as did Achan, too late to save themselves.
. . . They are not in harmony with right. They despise the straight testimony that reaches the heart, and would rejoice to see everyone silenced who gives reproof.--3T 272 (1873). {LDE 175.4}
The Lord calls for a renewal of the straight testimony borne in years past. He calls for a renewal of spiritual life. The spiritual energies of His people have long been torpid, but there is to be a resurrection from apparent death. By prayer and confession of sin we must clear the King's highway.--8T 297 (1904). {LDE 176.1}

Unjust Criticism Causes Loss of Souls

Even in our day there have been and will continue to be entire families who have once rejoiced in the truth, but who will lose faith because of calumnies and falsehoods brought to them in regard to those whom they have loved and with whom they have had sweet counsel. They opened their hearts to the sowing of tares, the tares sprang up among the wheat, they strengthened, the crop of wheat became less and less, and the precious truth lost its power to them.--TM 411 (1898). {LDE 176.2}

False Doctrines Draw Some Away

Science, so-called, and religion will be placed in opposition to each other because finite men do not comprehend the power and greatness of God. These words of Holy Writ were presented to me, "Of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things,
to draw away disciples after them" [Acts 20:30]. This will surely be seen among the people of God.--Ev 593 (1890). {LDE 176.3}
When the shaking comes, by the introduction of false theories, these surface readers, anchored nowhere, are like shifting sand. They slide into any position to suit the tenor of their feelings of bitterness.--TM 112 (1897). {LDE 177.1}
Not having received the love of the truth, they will be taken in the delusions of the enemy; they will give heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils and will depart from the faith.--6T 401 (1900). {LDE 177.2}
The enemy will bring in false theories, such as the doctrine that there is no sanctuary. This is one of the points on which there will be a departing from the faith.--Ev 224 (1905). {LDE 177.3}

Rejection of the
Testimonies Results in Apostasy

One thing is certain: Those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan's banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the Testimonies of God's Spirit.--3SM 84 (1903). {LDE 177.4}
The very last deception of Satan will be to make of none effect the testimony of the Spirit of God. "Where there is no vision, the people perish" (Prov. 29:18). Satan will work ingeniously, in different ways and through
different agencies, to unsettle the confidence of God's remnant people in the true testimony.--1SM 48 (1890). {LDE 177.5}
The enemy has made his masterly efforts to unsettle the faith of our own people in the Testimonies. . . . This is just as Satan designed it should be, and those who have been preparing the way for the people to pay no heed to the warnings and reproofs of the Testimonies of the Spirit of God will see that a tide of errors of all kinds will spring into life.--3SM 83 (1890). {LDE 178.1}
It is Satan's plan to weaken the faith of God's people in the Testimonies. Next follows skepticism in regard to the vital points of our faith, the pillars of our position, then doubt as to the Holy Scriptures, and then the downward march to perdition. When the Testimonies, which were once believed, are doubted and given up, Satan knows the deceived ones will not stop at this; and he redoubles his efforts till he launches them into open rebellion, which becomes incurable and ends in destruction.--4T 211. {LDE 178.2}

Defections Among Church Leaders

Many a star that we have admired for its brilliance will then go out in darkness.--PK 188 (c. 1914). {LDE 178.3}
Men whom He has greatly honored will, in the closing scenes of this earth's history, pattern after ancient Israel. . . . A departure from the great principles Christ has laid down in His teachings, a working out of human projects, using the Scriptures to
justify a wrong course of action under the perverse working of Lucifer, will confirm men in misunderstanding, and the truth that they need to keep them from wrong practices will leak out of the soul like water from a leaky vessel.--13MR 379, 381 (1904). {LDE 178.4}
Many will show that they are not one with Christ, that they are not dead to the world, that they may live with Him; and frequent will be the apostasies of men who have occupied responsible positions.--RH Sept. 11, 1888. {LDE 179.1}

Unsanctified Ministers Will Be Weeded Out

The great issue so near at hand [enforcement of Sunday laws] will weed out those whom God has not appointed and He will have a pure, true, sanctified ministry prepared for the latter rain.--3SM 385 (1886). {LDE 179.2}
Many will stand in our pulpits with the torch of false prophecy in their hands, kindled from the hellish torch of Satan. . . . {LDE 179.3}
Some will go out from among us who will bear the ark no longer. But these can not make walls to obstruct the truth; for it will go onward and upward to the end.--TM 409, 411 (1898). {LDE 179.4}
Ministers and doctors may depart from the faith, as the Word declares they will, and as the messages that God has given His servant declare they will.--7MR 192 (1906). {LDE 179.5}

The Church May Appear as About to Fall

The shaking of God blows away multitudes like dry leaves.--4T 89 (1876). {LDE 180.1}
Chaff like a cloud will be borne away on the wind, even from places where we see only floors of rich wheat.--5T 81 (1882). {LDE 180.2}
Soon God's people will be tested by fiery trials, and the great proportion of those who now appear to be genuine and true will prove to be base metal. . . . {LDE 180.3}
When the religion of Christ is most held in contempt, when His law is most despised, then should our zeal be the warmest and our courage and firmness the most unflinching. To stand in defense of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake us, to fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few--this will be our test. At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason.--5T 136 (1882). {LDE 180.4}
The church may appear as about to fall, but it does not fall. It remains, while the sinners in Zion will be sifted out--the chaff separated from the precious wheat. This is a terrible ordeal, but nevertheless it must take place.--2SM 380 (1886). {LDE 180.5}
As the storm approaches, a large class who have professed faith in the third angel's message, but have
not been sanctified through obedience to the truth, abandon their position and join the ranks of the opposition.--GC 608 (1911). {LDE 180.6}

God's Faithful Will Be Revealed

The Lord has faithful servants who in the shaking, testing time will be disclosed to view. There are precious ones now hidden who have not bowed the knee to Baal. They have not had the light which has been shining in a concentrated blaze upon you. But it may be under a rough and uninviting exterior the pure brightness of a genuine Christian character will be revealed. In the daytime we look toward heaven but do not see the stars. They are there, fixed in the firmament, but the eye cannot distinguish them. In the night we behold their genuine luster.--5T 80, 81 (1882). {LDE 181.1}
On every occasion that persecution takes place, the witnesses make decisions, either for Christ or against Him. Those who show sympathy for the men wrongly condemned, who are not bitter against them, show their attachment for Christ.--ST Feb. 20, 1901. {LDE 181.2}
Let opposition arise, let bigotry and intolerance again bear sway, let persecution be kindled, and the half-hearted and hypocritical will waver and yield the faith; but the true Christian will stand firm as a rock, his faith stronger, his hope brighter than in days of prosperity.--GC 602 (1911). {LDE 181.3}

New Converts Will Take
the Places of Those Who Leave

Some had been shaken out and left by the way. The careless and indifferent, who did not join with those who prized victory and salvation enough to perseveringly plead and agonize for it, did not obtain it, and they were left behind in darkness, and their places were immediately filled by others taking hold of the truth and coming into the ranks.--EW 271 (1858). {LDE 182.1}
The broken ranks will be filled up by those represented by Christ as coming in at the eleventh hour. There are many with whom the Spirit of God is striving. The time of God's destructive judgments is the time of mercy for those who [now] have no opportunity to learn what is truth. Tenderly will the Lord look upon them. His heart of mercy is touched, His hand is still stretched out to save, while the door is closed to those who would not enter. Large numbers will be admitted who in these last days hear the truth for the first time.--Letter 103, 1903. {LDE 182.2}
Standard after standard was left to trail in the dust as company after company from the Lord's army joined the foe and tribe after tribe from the ranks of the enemy united with the commandment-keeping people of God.--8T 41 (1904). {LDE 182.3}

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117581
08/12/09 09:36 PM
08/12/09 09:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

I think you mean "those who don't imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep Sunday"?

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Rosangela] #117603
08/13/09 03:14 AM
08/13/09 03:14 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Quote:

It seems to me that to the SDA Church was entrusted a special message of God to the world. This is different from saying that all those who accept the message are saved. This is also different from saying that no other church at present is fulfilling Jesus' comission of preaching the gospel to the whole world. However, at the end, when the world is divided into only two classes - those who serve God and those who oppose God - all those who serve God will be in harmony with the message entrusted to the SDA Church - the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.
i thought that was what you meant but wanted to be certain before i heartily agreed.

i think we need to be so careful not to give the impression to non-sdas that we believe that any who are not sda do not have God.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #117616
08/13/09 10:09 AM
08/13/09 10:09 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
They better not read this thread @ theresas conclusion.

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #117622
08/13/09 04:14 PM
08/13/09 04:14 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
They better not read this thread @ theresas conclusion.
now could you elaborate? im confused as to your point.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: teresaq] #117651
08/14/09 02:14 AM
08/14/09 02:14 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Any non-sda would have to read about till the 6th page until learning that sda theology acctually does not condemn them to hell..

Galatians 2

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: vastergotland] #117654
08/14/09 02:52 AM
08/14/09 02:52 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
oh, it looked like you were saying i was condemning them. i was looking real hard at my post to see how that could be read from it.

nah, met too many non-sdas whove put me to shame.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #117768
08/19/09 02:55 PM
08/19/09 02:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Elle, in addition to what Rosangela wrote above, please consider the prophecies regarding "the shaking". The Laodicean Church (SDA) will experience a shaking. The impure and unsanctified members will leave the church and join the ranks of opposition. Then this newly refined and purified SDA Church will call people out of Babylon. The effect is a two way exodus between Laodicea and Babylon. The result will be two classes of people and two churches - 1) Those who imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep the Sabbath, and 2) Those who imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep Sunday.

Quote:
Chap. 12. - The Shaking

Church Membership No
Guarantee of Salvation

It is a solemn statement that I make to the church, that not one in twenty whose names are registered upon the church books are prepared to close their earthly history, and would be as verily without God and without hope in the world as the common sinner.--ChS 41 (1893). {LDE 172.1}
Those who have had opportunities to hear and receive of the truth and who have united with the Seventh-day Adventist church, calling themselves the commandment-keeping people of God, and yet possess no more vitality and consecration to God than do the nominal churches, will receive the plagues of God just as verily as the churches who oppose the law of God.--19MR 176 (1898). {LDE 172.2}

The Chaff Separated From the Wheat

Divisions will come in the church. Two parties will be developed. The wheat and tares grow up together for the harvest.--2SM 114 (1896). {LDE 172.3}
There will be a shaking of the sieve. The chaff must in time be separated from the wheat. Because iniquity abounds, the love of many waxes cold. It is the very time when the genuine will be the strongest.--Letter 46, 1887. {LDE 173.1}
The history of the rebellion of Dathan and Abiram is being repeated, and will be repeated till the close of time. Who will be on the Lord's side? Who will be deceived, and in their turn become deceivers?--Letter 15, 1892. {LDE 173.2}
The Lord is soon to come. There must be a refining, winnowing process in every church, for there are among us wicked men who do not love the truth or honor God.--RH March 19, 1895. {LDE 173.3}
We are in the shaking time, the time when everything that can be shaken will be shaken. The Lord will not excuse those who know the truth if they do not in word and deed obey His commands.--6T 332 (1900). {LDE 173.4}

Persecution Cleanses the Church

Prosperity multiplies a mass of professors. Adversity purges them out of the church.--4T 89 (1876). {LDE 173.5}
The time is not far distant when the test will come to every soul. The mark of the beast will be urged upon us. Those who have step by step yielded to worldly demands and conformed to worldly customs will not find it a hard matter to yield to the powers that be, rather than subject themselves to derision, insult,
threatened imprisonment, and death. The contest is between the commandments of God and the commandments of men. In this time the gold will be separated from the dross in the church.--5T 81 (1882). {LDE 173.6}
In the absence of the persecution there have drifted into our ranks men who appear sound and their Christianity unquestionable, but who, if persecution should arise, would go out from us.--Ev 360 (1890). {LDE 174.1}
When the law of God is made void the church will be sifted by fiery trials, and a larger proportion than we now anticipate will give heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils.--2SM 368 (1891). {LDE 174.2}
Superficial Believers Will Renounce the Faith

The work which the church has failed to do in a time of peace and prosperity she will have to do in a terrible crisis under most discouraging, forbidding circumstances. The warnings that worldly conformity has silenced or withheld must be given under the fiercest opposition from enemies of the faith. And at that time the superficial, conservative [ELLEN WHITE IS NOT HERE DISTINGUISHING THEOLOGICAL CONSERVATIVES FROM THEIR LIBERAL COUNTERPARTS; SHE IS DESCRIBING THOSE WHO PUT "WORLDLY CONFORMITY" FIRST AND GOD'S CAUSE SECOND.] class, whose influence has steadily retarded the progress of the work, will renounce the faith.--5T 463 (1885). {LDE 174.3}
If Satan sees that the Lord is blessing His people and preparing them to discern his delusions, he will
work with his master power to bring in fanaticism on the one hand and cold formalism on the other, that he may gather in a harvest of souls.--2SM 19 (1890). {LDE 174.4}
Those who have had privileges and opportunities to become intelligent in regard to the truth and yet who continue to counterwork the work God would have accomplished will be purged out, for God accepts the service of no man whose interest is divided.--Ms 64, 1898. {LDE 175.1}
As trials thicken around us, both separation and unity will be seen in our ranks. Some who are now ready to take up weapons of warfare will in times of real peril make it manifest that they have not built upon the solid rock; they will yield to temptation. Those who have had great light and precious privileges but have not improved them will, under one pretext or another, go out from us.--6T 400 (1900). {LDE 175.2}
The Straight Testimony Produces a Shaking

I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen, and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this will cause a shaking among God's people.--1T 181 (1857). {LDE 175.3}
There are those among us who will make confessions, as did Achan, too late to save themselves.
. . . They are not in harmony with right. They despise the straight testimony that reaches the heart, and would rejoice to see everyone silenced who gives reproof.--3T 272 (1873). {LDE 175.4}
The Lord calls for a renewal of the straight testimony borne in years past. He calls for a renewal of spiritual life. The spiritual energies of His people have long been torpid, but there is to be a resurrection from apparent death. By prayer and confession of sin we must clear the King's highway.--8T 297 (1904). {LDE 176.1}

Unjust Criticism Causes Loss of Souls

Even in our day there have been and will continue to be entire families who have once rejoiced in the truth, but who will lose faith because of calumnies and falsehoods brought to them in regard to those whom they have loved and with whom they have had sweet counsel. They opened their hearts to the sowing of tares, the tares sprang up among the wheat, they strengthened, the crop of wheat became less and less, and the precious truth lost its power to them.--TM 411 (1898). {LDE 176.2}

False Doctrines Draw Some Away

Science, so-called, and religion will be placed in opposition to each other because finite men do not comprehend the power and greatness of God. These words of Holy Writ were presented to me, "Of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things,
to draw away disciples after them" [Acts 20:30]. This will surely be seen among the people of God.--Ev 593 (1890). {LDE 176.3}
When the shaking comes, by the introduction of false theories, these surface readers, anchored nowhere, are like shifting sand. They slide into any position to suit the tenor of their feelings of bitterness.--TM 112 (1897). {LDE 177.1}
Not having received the love of the truth, they will be taken in the delusions of the enemy; they will give heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils and will depart from the faith.--6T 401 (1900). {LDE 177.2}
The enemy will bring in false theories, such as the doctrine that there is no sanctuary. This is one of the points on which there will be a departing from the faith.--Ev 224 (1905). {LDE 177.3}

Rejection of the
Testimonies Results in Apostasy

One thing is certain: Those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan's banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the Testimonies of God's Spirit.--3SM 84 (1903). {LDE 177.4}
The very last deception of Satan will be to make of none effect the testimony of the Spirit of God. "Where there is no vision, the people perish" (Prov. 29:18). Satan will work ingeniously, in different ways and through
different agencies, to unsettle the confidence of God's remnant people in the true testimony.--1SM 48 (1890). {LDE 177.5}
The enemy has made his masterly efforts to unsettle the faith of our own people in the Testimonies. . . . This is just as Satan designed it should be, and those who have been preparing the way for the people to pay no heed to the warnings and reproofs of the Testimonies of the Spirit of God will see that a tide of errors of all kinds will spring into life.--3SM 83 (1890). {LDE 178.1}
It is Satan's plan to weaken the faith of God's people in the Testimonies. Next follows skepticism in regard to the vital points of our faith, the pillars of our position, then doubt as to the Holy Scriptures, and then the downward march to perdition. When the Testimonies, which were once believed, are doubted and given up, Satan knows the deceived ones will not stop at this; and he redoubles his efforts till he launches them into open rebellion, which becomes incurable and ends in destruction.--4T 211. {LDE 178.2}

Defections Among Church Leaders

Many a star that we have admired for its brilliance will then go out in darkness.--PK 188 (c. 1914). {LDE 178.3}
Men whom He has greatly honored will, in the closing scenes of this earth's history, pattern after ancient Israel. . . . A departure from the great principles Christ has laid down in His teachings, a working out of human projects, using the Scriptures to
justify a wrong course of action under the perverse working of Lucifer, will confirm men in misunderstanding, and the truth that they need to keep them from wrong practices will leak out of the soul like water from a leaky vessel.--13MR 379, 381 (1904). {LDE 178.4}
Many will show that they are not one with Christ, that they are not dead to the world, that they may live with Him; and frequent will be the apostasies of men who have occupied responsible positions.--RH Sept. 11, 1888. {LDE 179.1}

Unsanctified Ministers Will Be Weeded Out

The great issue so near at hand [enforcement of Sunday laws] will weed out those whom God has not appointed and He will have a pure, true, sanctified ministry prepared for the latter rain.--3SM 385 (1886). {LDE 179.2}
Many will stand in our pulpits with the torch of false prophecy in their hands, kindled from the hellish torch of Satan. . . . {LDE 179.3}
Some will go out from among us who will bear the ark no longer. But these can not make walls to obstruct the truth; for it will go onward and upward to the end.--TM 409, 411 (1898). {LDE 179.4}
Ministers and doctors may depart from the faith, as the Word declares they will, and as the messages that God has given His servant declare they will.--7MR 192 (1906). {LDE 179.5}

The Church May Appear as About to Fall

The shaking of God blows away multitudes like dry leaves.--4T 89 (1876). {LDE 180.1}
Chaff like a cloud will be borne away on the wind, even from places where we see only floors of rich wheat.--5T 81 (1882). {LDE 180.2}
Soon God's people will be tested by fiery trials, and the great proportion of those who now appear to be genuine and true will prove to be base metal. . . . {LDE 180.3}
When the religion of Christ is most held in contempt, when His law is most despised, then should our zeal be the warmest and our courage and firmness the most unflinching. To stand in defense of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake us, to fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few--this will be our test. At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason.--5T 136 (1882). {LDE 180.4}
The church may appear as about to fall, but it does not fall. It remains, while the sinners in Zion will be sifted out--the chaff separated from the precious wheat. This is a terrible ordeal, but nevertheless it must take place.--2SM 380 (1886). {LDE 180.5}
As the storm approaches, a large class who have professed faith in the third angel's message, but have
not been sanctified through obedience to the truth, abandon their position and join the ranks of the opposition.--GC 608 (1911). {LDE 180.6}

God's Faithful Will Be Revealed

The Lord has faithful servants who in the shaking, testing time will be disclosed to view. There are precious ones now hidden who have not bowed the knee to Baal. They have not had the light which has been shining in a concentrated blaze upon you. But it may be under a rough and uninviting exterior the pure brightness of a genuine Christian character will be revealed. In the daytime we look toward heaven but do not see the stars. They are there, fixed in the firmament, but the eye cannot distinguish them. In the night we behold their genuine luster.--5T 80, 81 (1882). {LDE 181.1}
On every occasion that persecution takes place, the witnesses make decisions, either for Christ or against Him. Those who show sympathy for the men wrongly condemned, who are not bitter against them, show their attachment for Christ.--ST Feb. 20, 1901. {LDE 181.2}
Let opposition arise, let bigotry and intolerance again bear sway, let persecution be kindled, and the half-hearted and hypocritical will waver and yield the faith; but the true Christian will stand firm as a rock, his faith stronger, his hope brighter than in days of prosperity.--GC 602 (1911). {LDE 181.3}

New Converts Will Take
the Places of Those Who Leave

Some had been shaken out and left by the way. The careless and indifferent, who did not join with those who prized victory and salvation enough to perseveringly plead and agonize for it, did not obtain it, and they were left behind in darkness, and their places were immediately filled by others taking hold of the truth and coming into the ranks.--EW 271 (1858). {LDE 182.1}
The broken ranks will be filled up by those represented by Christ as coming in at the eleventh hour. There are many with whom the Spirit of God is striving. The time of God's destructive judgments is the time of mercy for those who [now] have no opportunity to learn what is truth. Tenderly will the Lord look upon them. His heart of mercy is touched, His hand is still stretched out to save, while the door is closed to those who would not enter. Large numbers will be admitted who in these last days hear the truth for the first time.--Letter 103, 1903. {LDE 182.2}
Standard after standard was left to trail in the dust as company after company from the Lord's army joined the foe and tribe after tribe from the ranks of the enemy united with the commandment-keeping people of God.--8T 41 (1904). {LDE 182.3}

R: Mike, I think you mean "those who don't imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep Sunday"?

Yes, you're right. Do you think this insight is insulting to non-SDAs? If so, what can be done about it? How can we proclaim the truth without insulting non-SDAs?

The truth I'm referring to is "1) those who imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep the Sabbath" will be translated alive when Jesus arrives; whereas "2} those who don't imitate the sinless example of Jesus and keep Sunday" will be destroyed when Jesus arrives.

PS - Of course this is not to say only SDAs will be resurrected and taken to heaven when Jesus arrives.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Mountain Man] #121640
11/17/09 12:37 AM
11/17/09 12:37 AM
K
Kay Sullivan  Offline
Posting New Member
Mt.Home NC
I've heard this arguement before. There are always some with one foot in the church and the other outside, bellyaching about something to create doubt and discontent.

Re: What Denomination Do You Think The Early Believers Would Feel Most At Home In? [Re: Kay Sullivan] #121668
11/20/09 03:23 AM
11/20/09 03:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kay, what argument are you referring to? And, yes, the half converted cause chaos. Ellen wrote:

"The new birth is a rare experience in this age of the world. This is the reason why there are so many perplexities in the churches. Many, so many, who assume the name of Christ are unsanctified and unholy. They have been baptized, but they were buried alive. Self did not die, and therefore they did not rise to newness of life in Christ (MS 148, 1897). {6BC 1075.7}

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!