HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,621
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 11
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,460 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 54 of 91 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116204
07/18/09 01:31 AM
07/18/09 01:31 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
if you cannot answer this why not just admit it? why ignore it as if it were not posted?

I don’t know how I overlooked this post. I’m terribly sorry.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying or suggesting. Are you saying the five men bearing slaughtering weapons in Eze 9 symbolize the wicked that will turn upon the false shepherds during the end of the outpouring of the plagues? That is, are you suggesting the following scene will fulfill Eze 9:

Quote:
The people see that they have been deluded. They accuse one another of having led them to destruction; but all unite in heaping their bitterest condemnation upon the ministers. Unfaithful pastors have prophesied smooth things; they have led their hearers to make void the law of God and to persecute those who would keep it holy. Now, in their despair, these teachers confess before the world their work of deception. The multitudes are filled with fury. "We are lost!" they cry, "and you are the cause of our ruin;" and they turn upon the false shepherds. The very ones that once admired them most will pronounce the most dreadful curses upon them. The very hands that once crowned them with laurels will be raised for their destruction. The swords which were to slay God's people are now employed to destroy their enemies. Everywhere there is strife and bloodshed. {GC 655.4}

If so, then what about the following passages? How do they fit this point of view?

Quote:
The mark of deliverance has been set upon those "that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done." Now the angel of death goes forth, represented in Ezekiel's vision by the men with the slaughtering weapons, to whom the command is given: "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at My sanctuary." Says the prophet: "They began at the ancient men which were before the house." Ezekiel 9:1-6. The work of destruction begins among those who have professed to be the spiritual guardians of the people. The false watchmen are the first to fall. There are none to pity or to spare. Men, women, maidens, and little children perish together. {GC 656.2}

"The Lord cometh out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain." Isaiah 26:21. "And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth. And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the Lord shall be among them; and they shall lay hold everyone on the hand of his neighbor, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbor." Zechariah 14:12, 13. In the mad strife of their own fierce passions, and by the awful outpouring of God's unmingled wrath, fall the wicked inhabitants of the earth--priests, rulers, and people, rich and poor, high and low. "And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried." Jeremiah 25:33. {GC 656.3}

The command is, "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at My sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house." Saith God. "I will recompense their way upon their head." {TM 431.3}

The words will soon be spoken, "Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth." One of the ministers of vengeance declares. "And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because Thou hast judged thus." These heavenly beings, in executing the mandate of God, ask no questions, but do as they are bid. Jehovah of hosts, the Lord God Almighty, the just, the true, and the holy, has given them their work to do. With unswerving fidelity they go forth panoplied in pure white linen, having their breasts girded with golden girdles. And when their task is done, when the last vial of God's wrath is poured out, they return and lay their emptied vials at the feet of the Lord. {TM 432.1}

Ellen White wrote “[1] In the mad strife of their own fierce passions, and [2] by the awful outpouring of God's unmingled wrath, fall the wicked inhabitants of the earth--priests, rulers, and people, rich and poor, high and low.”

1. Does your view account for both of the components I enumerated above?

2. Does your view apply the words and works underlined above to the wicked that turn upon the false shepherds with swords?

3. Are there places in the Bible or the SOP where such words and works are applied to evil men or evil angels?

4. Are there places in the Bible or the SOP where such words and works refer to holy angels causing the kind of death and destruction described above whereas in reality it was evil men or evil angels that caused it to happen?

PS - Please understand that I'm just asking questions that came to mind in light of what you wrote. I am NOT saying they reflect anything you think or believe.

Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #116205
07/18/09 01:36 AM
07/18/09 01:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom:The question is if it's OK to cause others excruciating pain if its eternally beneficial. The assumption is being made that it's OK for God to do this.

A:Let's hold off on the assumptions and deal with some facts, which I already posted but seems to have been missed in all the excitement.

The fact is that you stated the principle that it's OK to cause pain if its eternally beneficial. This is what you said. You did not limit this to God when stating this, so I asked you if the principle applied to other areas. You implied that it didn't, but only to God, implying that the principle was akin to only God's being able to receive worship

So I pointed out that if the plagues are caused by holy angels and God's command that this *isn't* akin to worship, because the angels cannot receive worship. So it doesn't only apply to God, under the assumptions I'm hearing you speak. If you disagree, and would like to state that the principle does not apply to the holy angels viz a viz the plagues, please do so.

Then I went from there to ask about human beings.

It appears to me from your question:

Quote:
Was the angel who rescued Peter the same angel who caused "great agony of mind and body" to Herod? The answer is clearly Yes.

Was he acting in harmony or in contradiction to God's will when he smote Herod? Yes or No? The answer to that will help determine if it's OK to cause others excruciating pain if it's eternally beneficial.

that you are agreeing with me in stating my opinion that you believe that angels do the same thing you believe God does, which is to cause pain if its eternally beneficial.

So this principle is evidently NOT limited only to God. Does it apply to human beings?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116206
07/18/09 01:42 AM
07/18/09 01:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, as you've been asking quite a few questions, please permit me to ask one.

Where in Christ's human life did He act or teach principles which are in harmony with how you view the plagues playing out?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #116207
07/18/09 01:53 AM
07/18/09 01:53 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
You wrote:

1. What I believe is that the holy angels pour out the plagues by "releasing."

2. The holy angels release their protection, and the evil angels cause destruction, and this is what the plagues consist of.

In light of these insights, please address the following questions:

1. Do you know of any inspired passages that describe the holy angels pouring out the plagues of Rev 16 by "releasing"?

Do you know of any inspired passages that describe evil angels causing the things symbolized in the plagues of Rev 16?

Regarding the plagues of Rev 16, Ellen White wrote: These plagues are not universal, or the inhabitants of the earth would be wholly cut off. Yet they will be the most awful scourges that have ever been known to mortals. All the judgments upon men, prior to the close of probation, have been mingled with mercy. The pleading blood of Christ has shielded the sinner from receiving the full measure of his guilt; but in the final judgment, wrath is poured out unmixed with mercy. {GC 628.2}

3. Do you think these plagues are being poured out now? Or, do you think they will be poured out after probation closes?
you mean we will actually start studying the plagues one by one and see what happens? or do you mean we will continue to wonder all over the place disregarding posts, bible texts, and sop that dont fit a particular picture?

mm, if you and company want to try and prove toms beliefs wrong why not start a thread on that instead of hijacking mine? over and over and over again. you all havent won any brownie points for your side yet.

Teresaq, what exactly is it about the above post that makes you feel I have "hijacked" your thread? It's dealing with the plagues, right?

It makes more sense to me to determine who will cause the death and destruction symbolized by the plagues. Once I know who the "who" is, then I will be ready to study what each one of the plagues symbolize and how they will be fulfilled.

As I see it, there are several who's possible:

1. God
2. Holy angels
3. Evil angels
4. Evil men
5. Nature
6. Combinations of the above

Personally, I am leaning toward believing the plagues will be poured out by holy angels managing the forces of nature. During the outpouring of the plagues, evil men and evil angels will do things described by different prophecies, and that their activity must not be construed as fulfilling the plague prophecy.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116208
07/18/09 02:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
MM, as you've been asking quite a few questions, please permit me to ask one.

Where in Christ's human life did He act or teach principles which are in harmony with how you view the plagues playing out?

Well, first of all, the prophecies of the book of Revelation are a revelation of Jesus Christ. The plagues are, therefore, a revelation of what Jesus will do as He is returning to earth to destroy the wicked and to redeem the righteous. Jesus addressed some of these things, while He was here, in Matthew 24 and similar chapters in the NT. Obviously, Jesus did not demonstrate commanding holy angels to pour out plagues while He was here in the flesh. Nor did He command people to participate in announcing the out pouring of plagues like in the case of Moses.

PS - If you feel this post is inappropriate for this thread, please free to repost it elsewhere or simply ignore it. Thank you.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116209
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The fact is that you stated the principle that it's OK to cause pain if its eternally beneficial. This is what you said. You did not limit this to God when stating this, so I asked you if the principle applied to other areas.

Post #115827:
Originally Posted By: asygo
I think it would be helpful if you put out your own opinion somewhere

OK, here's a quick summary:
1) God sometimes allows painful things to happen, if that will be eternally beneficial.
2) God sometimes causes painful things to happen, if that will be eternally beneficial.

I thought the list would be longer, but it turns out that pretty much sums up my view. If something is unclear, feel free to ask questions.

Please note who it was that I said "sometimes causes painful things to happen, if that will be eternally beneficial."

Let me take this opportunity to point this out as one instance where you apply universally that which was meant by the author to be applied in a limited sense. I believe you do the same with some of your favorite SOP quotes, e.g. God doesn't use force, everything we can know of God was displayed during Christ's life.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116210
07/18/09 02:09 AM
07/18/09 02:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
[In] my opinion . . . you believe that angels do the same thing you believe God does, which is to cause pain if its eternally beneficial. So this principle is evidently NOT limited only to God. Does it apply to human beings?

I'd like to weigh in on this, too. I believe it has to do with whether one is operating under a theocracy under orders from God as to whether or not executing justice and judgment is lawful in the sight of God. Noah and Lot were not commanded to drown or burn sinners alive; whereas, Moses was commanded to kill sinners. God also commanded Moses to participate with Him in announcing the out pouring of the plagues on Egypt. Given this background, I believe it is safe to say God will command holy angels to pour out the plagues after human probation closes.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #116211
07/18/09 02:14 AM
07/18/09 02:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
It appears to me from your question:

Quote:
Was the angel who rescued Peter the same angel who caused "great agony of mind and body" to Herod? The answer is clearly Yes.

Was he acting in harmony or in contradiction to God's will when he smote Herod? Yes or No? The answer to that will help determine if it's OK to cause others excruciating pain if it's eternally beneficial.

that you are agreeing with me in stating my opinion that you believe that angels do the same thing you believe God does, which is to cause pain if its eternally beneficial.

So this principle is evidently NOT limited only to God. Does it apply to human beings?

As a cousin of mine says, "You're jumping before you leap." Let's settle the clear matters first before we get into muddier waters.

Do you agree that a holy angel sent by God caused Herod great agony of mind and body?

If we can't settle that, we can't proceed, for the issue would become one of epistemology.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116212
07/18/09 02:18 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
[In] my opinion . . . you believe that angels do the same thing you believe God does, which is to cause pain if its eternally beneficial. So this principle is evidently NOT limited only to God. Does it apply to human beings?

I'd like to weigh in on this, too. I believe it has to do with whether one is operating under a theocracy under orders from God as to whether or not executing justice and judgment is lawful in the sight of God. Noah and Lot were not commanded to drown or burn sinners alive; whereas, Moses was commanded to kill sinners. God also commanded Moses to participate with Him in announcing the out pouring of the plagues on Egypt. Given this background, I believe it is safe to say God will command holy angels to pour out the plagues after human probation closes.

Moses and Elijah, and even Saul, were instrumental in executing judgments of God. In fact, Saul got in trouble for not doing a thorough job of it.

But then the "hearing" of Moses and Elijah will be questioned. So I want to see first if we can agree with Tom in the area of what holy angels have done in the past.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #116213
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
if you cannot answer this why not just admit it? why ignore it as if it were not posted?

I don’t know how I overlooked this post. I’m terribly sorry.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying or suggesting. Are you saying the five men bearing slaughtering weapons in Eze 9 symbolize the wicked that will turn upon the false shepherds during the end of the outpouring of the plagues? That is, are you suggesting the following scene will fulfill Eze 9:
i didnt say anything. i merely put the statements ellen white gave that addressed the issue. i have to assume you do not believe they are applicable but it hasnt been stated why. it is quite easy to check the context and see if i have misapplied them.

[/size]
It was the angel of the Lord that killed all the first born in Egypt.
over and over, when doing a search on "destroying angel", we get:
Quote:
Children are the lawful prey of the enemy, because they are not subjects of grace, have not experienced the cleansing power of the blood of Jesus, and the evil angels have access to these children; and some parents are careless and suffer them to work with but little restraint. Parents have a great work to do in this matter, by correcting and subduing their children, and then by bringing them to God and claiming his blessing upon them. By the faithful and untiring efforts of the parents, and the blessing and grace entreated of God upon the children, the power of the evil angels will be broken, a sanctifying influence is shed upon the children, and the powers of darkness must give back. {RH, September 19, 1854 par. 11}
When the destroying angel was to pass through Egypt, to destroy the first-born of man and beast, Israel was commanded to gather their children and families into their houses with them, and then mark their door-posts with blood, that the destroying angel might pass by their dwellings, and if they failed to go through with this process, there was no difference made between them and the Egyptians. {RH, September 19, 1854 par. 12}
this follows:
Quote:
The destroying angel is soon to go forth again, not to destroy the first-born alone, but "to slay utterly old and young, both men, women, and little children" who have not the mark. Parents, if you wish to save your children, separate them from the world, keep them from the company of wicked children; for if you suffer them to go with wicked children, you cannot prevent them from partaking of their wickedness and being corrupted. It is your solemn duty to watch over your children, to choose the society at all times for them. Teach your children to obey you, then can they more easily obey the commands of God, and yield to his requirements. Don't let us neglect to pray with and for our children. He who said, "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me," will listen to our prayers for them, and the seal, or mark, of believing parents will cover their children, if they are trained up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Mrs. E. G. White. {RH, March 28, 1893 par. 13}
and this says how it will happen:
Quote:
"He will give them that are wicked to the sword." {GC 656.1} Now the angel of death goes forth, represented in Ezekiel's vision by the men with the slaughtering weapons, to whom the command is given: "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at My sanctuary." Says the prophet: "They began at the ancient men which were before the house." Ezekiel 9:1-6. The work of destruction begins among those who have professed to be the spiritual guardians of the people. The false watchmen are the first to fall. There are none to pity or to spare. Men, women, maidens, and little children perish together. {GC 656.2} The multitudes are filled with fury. "We are lost!" they cry, "and you are the cause of our ruin;" and they turn upon the false shepherds. The very ones that once admired them most will pronounce the most dreadful curses upon them. The very hands that once crowned them with laurels will be raised for their destruction. The swords which were to slay God's people are now employed to destroy their enemies. Everywhere there is strife and bloodshed.

After the saints were delivered by the voice of God, the rage of the wicked multitude was turned upon each other. The earth seemed to be deluged with blood, and dead bodies were from one end of the earth to the other. {1SG 211.1}) {GC 655.4}
instead of interrogating just say how you view them. if you disagree with ellen white appears to be saying state why.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 54 of 91 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!