HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Does God sometimes cause pain? #116467
07/22/09 01:29 AM
07/22/09 01:29 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Let's continue this topic here. I'll start the thread with my list of examples from post #116141:

Originally Posted By: Tom
In fact, I believe that a chief reason the Great Controversy is going on to demonstrate that God is not responsible in any way for sin (or Satan) or its (or his) results. For Him to act like Satan (e.g. to desire or effect killing/destroying) would counteract His own purposes.

Let's look at some familiar examples (I won't post the corresponding Scripture since they are easy to find):

Quote:
But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

God would punish, even drown, transgressors "for the good of His subjects and for their safety." Would punishment and drowning involve pain, maybe excruciating pain? Death? Possibly.

Does God effect the good and safety of His subjects through punishment and drowning of sinners? It looks like it.

Would Satan do the punishing and drowning himself, since it benefits God's children? I doubt it.

Does God do things that He does not allow us to do? Yes.

Quote:
Though God had granted the prayer of Moses in sparing Israel from destruction, their apostasy was to be signally punished. The lawlessness and insubordination into which Aaron had permitted them to fall, if not speedily crushed, would run riot in wickedness, and would involve the nation in irretrievable ruin. By terrible severity the evil must be put away. ... In the name of "the Lord God of Israel," Moses now commanded those upon his right hand, who had kept themselves clear of idolatry, to gird on their swords and slay all who persisted in rebellion. {PP 324.1}

Those who performed this terrible work of judgment were acting by divine authority, executing the sentence of the King of heaven. ... Those who performed this painful act, thus manifested their abhorrence of rebellion and idolatry, and consecrated themselves more fully to the service of the true God. The Lord honored their faithfulness by bestowing special distinction upon the tribe of Levi. {PP 324.2}

The Levites did this at the command of God through Moses. That's the plain reading of the text.

Did God merely remove His protection, and let the bloodthirsty Levites kill their friends and relatives, in contrast to His desire? If so, I don't think they would have been considered faithful and worthy of blessing.

Did Satan instigate this "painful" event, which was needed to avoid "irretrievable ruin"? Was Satan to be credited for the severity by which "the evil [was] put away"? I don't think so.

Quote:
The priests of Baal witness with consternation the wonderful revelation of Jehovah's power. Yet even in their discomfiture and in the presence of divine glory, they refuse to repent of their evil-doing. They would still remain the prophets of Baal. Thus they showed themselves ripe for destruction. That repentant Israel may be protected from the allurements of those who have taught them to worship Baal, Elijah is directed by the Lord to destroy these false teachers. ...the ministers of Baal are slain. Not one is permitted to live. {PK 153.2}

With the slaying of the prophets of Baal, the way was opened for carrying forward a mighty spiritual reformation among the ten tribes of the northern kingdom. {PK 155.1}

Was Elijah itching to kill people, just waiting for God's permission? I doubt it.

Did Satan drive Elijah to do this? No. Rather, he was "directed by the Lord" to kill Baal's prophets. And the purpose was to protect repentant Israel, and to open the way for a mighty spiritual reformation.

Quote:
The time had come when God must speak to them by means of judgments. Inasmuch as the worshipers of Baal claimed that the treasures of heaven, the dew and the rain, came not from Jehovah, but from the ruling forces of nature, and that it was through the creative energy of the sun that the earth was enriched and made to bring forth abundantly, the curse of God was to rest heavily upon the polluted land. The apostate tribes of Israel were to be shown the folly of trusting to the power of Baal for temporal blessings. Until they should turn to God with repentance, and acknowledge Him as the source of all blessing, there should fall upon the land neither dew nor rain. {PK 120.1}

He fully believed that God would humble apostate Israel, and that through judgments they would be brought to repentance. The fiat of Heaven had gone forth; God's word could not fail; and at the peril of his life Elijah fearlessly fulfilled his commission. {PK 121.2}

The people recognize God's justice and mercy in withholding the dew and the rain until they have been brought to confess His name. They are ready now to admit that the God of Elijah is above every idol. {PK 153.1}

What we have here is a little different in character than our previous examples. This time it is clear that God merely withheld His blessings.

There was no dew or rain for over 3 years. Did that result in suffering or death? It surely did. So terrible were the results that it was considered a "curse of God."

You can't blame Satan for this, since he doesn't send rain in the first place. Can't blame nature for this, since God decides what nature does. Can't blame sinful man for this, since he has no power to control weather.

This is an obvious case of God speaking through judgments. This was the "fiat of Heaven." This was God's doing.

And what exactly was God up to in all this? "The people recognize God's justice and mercy in withholding the dew and the rain until they have been brought to confess His name." After the people's eyes were opened and they had a clearer view of God's character, they recognized the withholding of dew and rain as "justice and mercy." Justice is easy to see, but why mercy? Because through this painful experience, they were saved from the more painful experience of spiritual death. Through this, they were led to confess God's name.

Would Satan have caused this himself? I doubt it. He ain't no fool.

Quote:
It is the last night before the proposed execution. A mighty angel is sent from heaven to rescue Peter. The strong gates that shut in the saint of God open without the aid of human hands. The angel of the Most High passes through, and the gates close noiselessly behind him. He enters the cell, and there lies Peter, sleeping the peaceful sleep of perfect trust. {AA 146.2}

The same angel who had come from the royal courts to rescue Peter, had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. The angel smote Peter to arouse him from slumber; it was with a different stroke that he smote the wicked king, laying low his pride and bringing upon him the punishment of the Almighty. Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive judgment of God. {AA 152.1}

This demonstration of divine justice had a powerful influence upon the people. The tidings that the apostle of Christ had been miraculously delivered from prison and death, while his persecutor had been stricken down by the curse of God, were borne to all lands and became the means of leading many to a belief in Christ. {AA 152.2}

This one seems the clearest of all. The SAME ANGEL who smote Peter also smote Herod. That is clear beyond contention.

Is this angel a holy angel? Is this angel one who ministers to the needs of men, or ministers their destruction? Is this angel a messenger of God or of Satan?

I would say that this angel - the angel of the Most High - is one of the good guys. I don't think he wanted to wreak havoc among men, just waiting for God to allow him. I believe he acted upon God's command. And we find that he who rescued Peter from death also caused "great agony of mind and body" to Herod.

Pain and death? Yes. Done by God's messenger? Yes. According to His will? Yes. And this "became the means of leading many to a belief in Christ."

God sometimes causes pain if it is eternally beneficial.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116493
07/22/09 07:13 AM
07/22/09 07:13 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
you know, my brother, i believe that God has had to take action from time to time, but some of your post, i believe, has gone over the top.

how does the unutterable love God has towards us show through this? it sounds more like a justification of the actions of hitlers henchmen, the ones who did surgical experimentations on the jews without anesthesia.

again i state, i also believe God has had to take action various times in the history of this world, but i am so thankful i never had the need to justify my understanding in such a manner as above.

Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such. this is not to say i will not continue studying to see if toms understanding has merit or not. but i pray that should i decide against his view i never see the need to justify my understanding at the expense of Gods glory.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116516
07/22/09 04:10 PM
07/22/09 04:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Teresaq, no one is doubting that the wrath of God is love. Just because Arnold did not include the balance between mercy and justice in his study above, it does not mean he is opposed to the mercy of God. How would you reflect the truths Arnold shared above without leaving the impression you are ignoring the mercy of God? As you know Tom is quick to explain all the stories above in light of the "withdraw and permit" principle. Both he and Arnold are in agreement that God is merciful and loving. Since it is not a disputed point, Arnold isn't addressing it. He is focusing on what they disagree on.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #116518
07/22/09 05:02 PM
07/22/09 05:02 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Here's a statement which shows both sides of God's character, as He relates to the two classes of His subjects: the obedient, and the erring.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
God will bear long. He will test and prove all; but the curse will surely follow the selfish transgressor. God knows the heart. Every thought and every purpose is open to His eye. He says, "Them that honor Me I will honor." He knows whom to bless, and who deserves the curse. He makes no mistakes. Angels are keeping a record of all our works. When we rob God of the tithe, we also rob ourselves: for we lose the heavenly treasure. We deprive ourselves of the blessing of God, which is promised to those who deal honestly with Him. "There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty." God's ministers should not fail to warn the people, showing from the Bible the result of withholding the tithe. {PUR, October 10, 1901 par. 3}

Certainly, God can and does bless. He also can and does curse. Our choices can make a world of difference in which side we are on.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: (Deuteronomy 30:19, KJV)

And afterward he read all the words of the law, the blessings and cursings, according to all that is written in the book of the law. (Joshua 8:34, KJV)

God's law contains both blessings and cursings. Let us not forget that God's law represents His character. I'm thankful that God hates sin enough to bring those who persist in it to justice and to eradicate it. God is fair. God is good.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116525
07/22/09 07:05 PM
07/22/09 07:05 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
you know, my brother, i believe that God has had to take action from time to time, but some of your post, i believe, has gone over the top.

Did I say something incorrect? If so, please point it out so I can correct it immediately.

Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such. this is not to say i will not continue studying to see if toms understanding has merit or not. but i pray that should i decide against his view i never see the need to justify my understanding at the expense of Gods glory.

The Word of God is symbolized by the Sword of the Spirit. Those who are limited to teaching by the feather of the Spirit, hoping to tickle everyone death, will eventually find that God was wise in likening His truth to a sword. If we are serious about dying to sin, self, and Satan, we better be ready for the sword that cuts deep.

But "at the expense of Gods glory"? Surely you must be joking. In every case, God put a stop to the spread of evil and even effected the spiritual revival of His poor deluded creatures. Turning sinners into saints is the highlight of God's glory. If you missed it, you are focusing on the wrong thing.

Anyway, Tom's understanding certainly has merit, and much truth to it. The error is in thinking that his paradigm is ALL there is to it.

Sometimes the natural consequences of sin constitute the best remedy for it. But sometimes, other measures must be taken to prevent sin's natural consequences. If my son had a habit of running into the street after his toy, I would warn him against it. But if he kept doing it, you can be sure that my next step is not to just let him reap the consequences of his choice. Before that happens, I will make him feel the pain of disobedience, and it will be significant pain. But it won't be quite the same pain as getting crushed by a speeding car.

To make sure you don't miss the point: I cause my son significant pain so that he can learn to avoid that which would cause infinitely more pain. That's because I love him. The father chastens the son he loves.

Now, what if instead of punishing him so he can learn to stop running into the street, I just let him run out and deal with whatever consequences that may entail? Sure, I tell him to stop it, but he keeps doing it anyway. And since I "love" him so much, I just let him keep running into the street. Eventually, he meets metal at 30 mph. Gentle? Loving? Glory?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116536
07/22/09 08:31 PM
07/22/09 08:31 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
we are back to perspectives. how one sees a particular point.

i did a search of ellen whites writings thinking she had some guidelines on spanking. no such word in her writings that i could find. but i did find this:
Quote:
You look upon some and say, "How foolish they are." Had we not better have the compassion of Jesus Christ at all times and in all places and in everything in our dealings with children and youth who have not our experience? I have felt upon this point a most wonderful responsibility, as case after case has been presented before me in different schools and in different places, where for years back [there] has been the mismanagement of a certain one, and then I have looked to see where he would come out, and he came out as the servant of the devil. Where might he have come out? As a child and servant of Jesus Christ. Who is responsible for that man's disposition? {9MR 57.1}
I have sat in school with a pupil sitting by my side, when the master sent a ruler to hit that student upon the head, but it hit me, and gave me a wonderful wound. I rose from my seat and left the room. When I left the schoolhouse and was on the way home, he ran after me and said, "Ellen, I made a mistake; won't you forgive me?" {9MR 57.2}
Said I, "Certainly I will, but where is the mistake?" {9MR 57.3}
"I did not mean to hit you." {9MR 57.4}
"But," said I, "it is a mistake that you should hit anybody. I would just as soon have this gash in my forehead as to have another injured." {9MR 57.5}
this has to do with a teacher, but i get that the principle is the same no matter who it is.

discipline does not mean punish.

it is much more work and much more painful to learn other methods that work far better and are far more long-lasting. i know.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116551
07/22/09 09:29 PM
07/22/09 09:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:Anyway, Tom's understanding certainly has merit, and much truth to it. The error is in thinking that his paradigm is ALL there is to it.

I appreciate the kind comments. Regarding the "all there is to it," that does seem to be the question. MM mentioned 5 ways that the wrath of God is manifested:

Quote:
The wrath of God is manifested in five different ways:

1. God personally causes death and destruction
2. God permits the forces of nature to cause death and destruction
3. God commands holy angels to cause death and destruction
4. God permits evil angels to cause death and destruction
5. God permits evil men to cause death and destruction

I note that all of these, but the first one, have in common that God withdraws His protection. We appear to differ in that I believe this is sufficient to cause any pain that God would deem necessary for disciplinary purposes. I don't think we necessarily see the necessity or the reason behind why the event take place differently, but we see the mechanism to be different, in the times that you think 1. applies.

Another area of difference involves the following:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

You appear to believe the author intended this to be applied in a limited sense, whereas I believe the principle being articulated here is universal. That is, I believe it's really the case that Jesus Christ has revealed all that we can know of God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116563
07/23/09 04:16 AM
07/23/09 04:16 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
i did a search of ellen whites writings thinking she had some guidelines on spanking. no such word in her writings that i could find.

I studied this about a dozen years ago, when I was planning to get married. It should be required reading for all who deal with children:
Quote:
Deal With Wrong Promptly, Wisely, Firmly.-- Disobedience must be punished. Wrongdoing must be corrected. The iniquity that is bound up in the heart of a child must be met and overcome by parents and teachers. Wrong must be dealt with promptly and wisely, with firmness and decision. Hatred of restraint, love of self-indulgence, indifference to things of eternity, must be carefully dealt with. Unless evil is eradicated, the soul will be lost. And more than this: he who gives himself up to follow in Satan's lead seeks constantly to entice others. From our children's earliest years we should seek to subdue in them the spirit of the world. {CG 249.4}

The Rod Is Sometimes Necessary.--The mother may ask, "Shall I never punish my child?" {CG 250.1}

Whipping may be necessary when other resorts fail, yet she should not use the rod if it is possible to avoid doing so. But if milder measures prove insufficient, punishment that will bring the child to its senses should in love be administered. Frequently one such correction will be enough for a lifetime, to show the child that he does not hold the lines of control. {CG 250.2}

And when this step becomes necessary, the child should be seriously impressed with the thought that this is not done for the gratification of the parent, or to indulge arbitrary authority, but for the child's own good. He should be taught that every fault uncorrected will bring unhappiness to himself and will displease God. Under such discipline children will find their greatest happiness in submitting their wills to the will of the heavenly Father. {CG 250.3}

As the Last Resort.--Many times you will find that if you will reason with them kindly, they will not need to be whipped. And such method of dealing will lead them to have confidence in you. They will make you their confidant. They will come to you and say, I did wrong today at such a time, and I want you to forgive me and to ask God to forgive me. I have gone through scenes like this, and therefore I know. . . . I am thankful that I had courage, when they did wrong, to deal with them firmly, to pray with them, and to keep the standards of God's Word before them. I am glad that I presented to them the promises made to the overcomer, and the rewards offered to those who are faithful. {CG 250.4}

Never Strike a Passionate Blow.--Never give your child a passionate blow, unless you want him to learn to fight and quarrel. As parents you stand in the place of God to your children, and you are to be on guard. {CG 251.1}

You may have to punish with the rod; this is sometimes essential, but defer any settlement of the difficulty until you have settled the case with yourselves. Ask yourself, Have I submitted my way and will to God? Have I placed myself where God can manage me, so that I may have wisdom, patience, kindness, and love in dealing with the refractory elements in the home? {CG 251.2}

You will find in these quotes that punishment is necessary, but there is a proper way to do it.

I will comment more later.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #116564
07/23/09 04:49 AM
07/23/09 04:49 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
i did a search of ellen whites writings thinking she had some guidelines on spanking. no such word in her writings that i could find.

I studied this about a dozen years ago, when I was planning to get married. It should be required reading for all who deal with children:
Quote:
Deal With Wrong Promptly, Wisely, Firmly.-- Disobedience must be punished. Wrongdoing must be corrected. The iniquity that is bound up in the heart of a child must be met and overcome by parents and teachers. Wrong must be dealt with promptly and wisely, with firmness and decision. Hatred of restraint, love of self-indulgence, indifference to things of eternity, must be carefully dealt with. Unless evil is eradicated, the soul will be lost. And more than this: he who gives himself up to follow in Satan's lead seeks constantly to entice others. From our children's earliest years we should seek to subdue in them the spirit of the world. {CG 249.4}

The Rod Is Sometimes Necessary.--The mother may ask, "Shall I never punish my child?" {CG 250.1}

Whipping may be necessary when other resorts fail, yet she should not use the rod if it is possible to avoid doing so. But if milder measures prove insufficient, punishment that will bring the child to its senses should in love be administered. Frequently one such correction will be enough for a lifetime, to show the child that he does not hold the lines of control. {CG 250.2}

And when this step becomes necessary, the child should be seriously impressed with the thought that this is not done for the gratification of the parent, or to indulge arbitrary authority, but for the child's own good. He should be taught that every fault uncorrected will bring unhappiness to himself and will displease God. Under such discipline children will find their greatest happiness in submitting their wills to the will of the heavenly Father. {CG 250.3}

As the Last Resort.--Many times you will find that if you will reason with them kindly, they will not need to be whipped. And such method of dealing will lead them to have confidence in you. They will make you their confidant. They will come to you and say, I did wrong today at such a time, and I want you to forgive me and to ask God to forgive me. I have gone through scenes like this, and therefore I know. . . . I am thankful that I had courage, when they did wrong, to deal with them firmly, to pray with them, and to keep the standards of God's Word before them. I am glad that I presented to them the promises made to the overcomer, and the rewards offered to those who are faithful. {CG 250.4}

Never Strike a Passionate Blow.--Never give your child a passionate blow, unless you want him to learn to fight and quarrel. As parents you stand in the place of God to your children, and you are to be on guard. {CG 251.1}

You may have to punish with the rod; this is sometimes essential, but defer any settlement of the difficulty until you have settled the case with yourselves. Ask yourself, Have I submitted my way and will to God? Have I placed myself where God can manage me, so that I may have wisdom, patience, kindness, and love in dealing with the refractory elements in the home? {CG 251.2}

You will find in these quotes that punishment is necessary, but there is a proper way to do it.

I will comment more later.
i didnt think to look for "whipping".

but why do you equate punishment with spanking? i mean who said discipline was not necessary?

but as i said i can testify to what she states above. the more time we spend in prayer and searching for other methods than "whipping" we will find them and they will be more effective.

Quote:
Frequently one such correction will be enough for a lifetime, to show the child that he does not hold the lines of control. {CG 250.2}
as i continued praying and searching i learned how to get loving obedience, without spanking, from my grandchildren.

Quote:
this is why i learned to seek other methods and not spank.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116578
07/23/09 01:22 PM
07/23/09 01:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
t:God's actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such. This is not to say I will not continue studying to see if Tom's understanding has merit or not. But I pray that should I decide against his view I never see the need to justify my understanding at the expense of Gods glory.

a:The Word of God is symbolized by the Sword of the Spirit. Those who are limited to teaching by the feather of the Spirit, hoping to tickle everyone death, will eventually find that God was wise in likening His truth to a sword. If we are serious about dying to sin, self, and Satan, we better be ready for the sword that cuts deep.

Teresa is claiming that "Gods actions can be shown in a gentle, loving manner for those of us who believe such." It appears that Arnold is challenging this assertion by pointing out the Word of God is likened to a sword, as opposed to a feather, meaning that God's actions cannot always be seen as gentle and loving.

I don't see how this makes any sense. Doesn't the "sword of the Spirit" refer to the action of the Word in revealing truth? Isn't is the truth that causes the "damage"? That the truth causes us pain doesn't imply that God must have acted in a non-gentle, non-loving manner, does it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!