HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116996
08/02/09 02:52 PM
08/02/09 02:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Quote:
M: Can you name anything Jesus revealed about God that we do not need to know right now?

T: Why are you asking this?

M: Because you stated, "Everything that man can know of God, including things which man doesn't need to know."

T: I wouldn't be qualified to say what we need to know and what we don't. God knows. You understand that what one needs to know is a subset of what one can know, don't you?

M: Are you qualified to say Jesus revealed things about God that we do not need to know? And, no, I don’t see it as a subset.

Quote:
M: Again, "needs to know" does not imply everything there is to know. In the military we used the phrase, "On a need to know basis". We only told the troops what they needed to know, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they didn't need to know.

T: Right. "Can know" implies this. "Need to know" is a subset of "can know."

M: And, of course, "can know" refers to one's ability to grasp and comprehend something. When my kids were small, I only told them things their young minds could grasp, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they could not comprehend.

T: She said "all that man can know," so she didn't qualify this, other than limit it to man.

M: Do you think there is any possibility that my view of the two phrases is correct? Or, are you convinced you’re right and I’m wrong?

for me, these kinds of questions and pursuits leads away from what the scripture/sop stated and just wanders into confusion.

in other words we are no longer thinking of what the messenger of the Lord meant and meditating on that, we are now dissecting another person.

dont debate the statements! meditate on them prayerfully! why interrogate and wonder off into confusion, far, far from God?

dunno crazy help

You wrote, ". . . we are no longer thinking of what the messenger of the Lord meant and meditating on that . . ." This assumes, of course, that your understanding of what she meant is correct. Are you sure, though, that your personal biases aren't altering what she actually meant to say, that your conclusions aren't far afield?

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not saying your understanding of what she meant IS wrong. Neither am I saying it is right. Honestly, I have no idea what you believe. You seem to think her statements are so plain that they are too obvious to require comment or interpretation. But if it were true she would not counsel us to compare what she says with everything else she wrote about it.

No one statement is an island that stands alone. There is a sea of information that must be considered before drawing concrete conclusions. "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little." Only thus does the beautiful balance emerge in all its luster and grandeur. Discussing different ways of viewing what she meant is one of many ways to arrive at the truth. "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." (Prov 27:17) The following insights are pertinent:

Quote:
There are a thousand temptations in disguise prepared for those who have the light of truth; and the only safety for any of us is in receiving no new doctrine, no new interpretation of the Scriptures, without first submitting it to brethren of experience. Lay it before them in a humble, teachable spirit, with earnest prayer; and if they see no light in it, yield to their judgment; for "in the multitude of counselors there is safety." {5T 293.1}

But if they choose their own course and rely upon their judgment, they should be left to feel the full consequences of their unwise course, and learn by dear experience that "in a multitude of counselors there is safety." God's people should be subject one to another. They should counsel with each other, that the lack of one be supplied by the sufficiency of the other. {WM 201.3}

God would have His people disciplined and brought into harmony of action, that they may see eye to eye and be of the same mind and of the same judgment. In order to bring about this state of things, there is much to be done. The carnal heart must be subdued and transformed. God designs that there shall ever be a living testimony in the church. It will be necessary to reprove and exhort, and some will need to be rebuked sharply, as the case demands. We hear the plea: "Oh, I am so sensitive, I cannot bear the least reflection!" If these persons would state the case correctly, they would say: "I am so self-willed, so self-sufficient, so proud-spirited, that I will not be dictated to; I will not be reproved. I claim the right of individual judgment; I have a right to believe and talk as I please." The Lord would not have us yield up our individuality. But what man is a proper judge of how far this matter of individual independence should be carried? {3T 360.2}

Peter exhorts his brethren: "Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble." The apostle Paul also exhorts his Philippian brethren to unity and humility: "If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, fulfill ye my joy, that ye be like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus." Again Paul exhorts his brethren: "Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another." In writing to the Ephesians he says: "Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God." {3T 360.3}

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #116997
08/02/09 03:03 PM
08/02/09 03:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
God saw that a clearer revelation than nature was needed to portray both His personality and His character. He sent His Son into the world to reveal, so far as could be endured by human sight, the nature and the attributes of the invisible God. {8T 265.5}

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

so i guess the question is,

why keep running away from it?

why run to other places to escape it?

that is how it is coming across to me as an observer, anyway. not only that i feel like some arent just doing the running themselves, they are also trying to drag others along with them. we'll run off exploring on all these sideroads, anything but stay on the straight and narrow.

Harsh words from a harsh person? Is that what you're attempting to prove? Can you not think of a less critical way of conveying your thoughts? Please stop and think about the effect of your words before you post them. Are they calculated to inform and uplift and encourage? Or, are they designed to insult and offend and discourage?

In the quotes I posted above Ellen White makes it clear that Jesus did not reveal everything there is to know about God. This insight does not take away from the fact that Jesus is the by far the best revelation of God. But it also true He is not the only revelation of God.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #116999
08/02/09 03:54 PM
08/02/09 03:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:In the quotes I posted above Ellen White makes it clear that Jesus did not reveal everything there is to know about God.

If she did, then she contradicted the following:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

You are saying, "Jesus did not reveal everything there is to know about God." while EGW is saying that He did.

Or, if you're right in your conclusions above, in one place she is saying "Jesus did not reveal everything there is to know about God." while in another place she is saying that He did.

This is right, isn't it?

The impression I got from the very first time I posted this quote (i.e. 8T 286) is that you didn't believe it was true (that is, the Jesus Christ, in His humanity, revealed all man can know of God). I can tell you, it came as quite a revelation to me when I first became aware of it (the 8T 286 quote). It's been quite a number of years now, 5 or 6 I think, and I still find it amazing.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #117005
08/02/09 04:47 PM
08/02/09 04:47 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

that is how it is coming across to me as an observer, anyway. not only that i feel like some arent just doing the running themselves, they are also trying to drag others along with them. we'll run off exploring on all these sideroads, anything but stay on the straight and narrow.

Harsh words from a harsh person? Is that what you're attempting to prove? Can you not think of a less critical way of conveying your thoughts? Please stop and think about the effect of your words before you post them. Are they calculated to inform and uplift and encourage? Or, are they designed to insult and offend and discourage?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: asygo] #117008
08/02/09 05:46 PM
08/02/09 05:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Can you name anything Jesus revealed about God that we do not need to know right now?

T: Why are you asking this?

M: Because you stated, "Everything that man can know of God, including things which man doesn't need to know."

T: I wouldn't be qualified to say what we need to know and what we don't. God knows. You understand that what one needs to know is a subset of what one can know, don't you?

M: Are you qualified to say Jesus revealed things about God that we do not need to know? And, no, I don’t see it as a subset.

T: Perhaps you don't understand what a subset is. Many people who aren't mathematically inclined don't, so this isn't an insult. I'll explain it. A set X is a subset of set Y if all of the members of X are in Y. In order for X to not be a subset of Y, that means there is some member of set X which is not in set Y. So if we say X is the set "things man needs to know of God" and Y is "things man can know of God," then your assertion that you don't see X as a subset of Y means that you believe there is something which man needs to know of God but can't, which is obviously nonsense, and so cannot be true.

So X must be a subset of Y. The two could be the same set, which is probably what you have in mind. That is, you believe that the set of things which man needs to know of God is identical to the set of things man can know of God. One would have to define what "need" means in this context. If you have in mind "need" in terms of "to be saved," then this seems to me very unlikely to be true. That is, there are things which Jesus revealed of God that we do not need to know in order to be saved. If you say "need" in terms of "in order to be translated," I think that could be true. That is, to be translated, we need to know everything Jesus revealed of God.

Thank you for further explaining what you meant by “subset”. You are definitely more informed about such things than I am, and I appreciate the lesson. You are a good teacher. However, I do not view the two phrases as subsets or the same sets. Again, “needs to know” and “can know” are referring to two different aspects of knowledge. The one deals with content, whereas the other deals with ability. Yes, the knowledge Jesus revealed about God is what we “need to know”. I agree with the way you differentiated between salvation and translation.

You overlooked the first question in my post above, namely, Are you qualified to say Jesus revealed things about God that we do not need to know? How can you be so sure He revealed things about God we don’t need to know? Do you have an example in mind?

Quote:
M: Again, "needs to know" does not imply everything there is to know. In the military we used the phrase, "On a need to know basis". We only told the troops what they needed to know, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they didn't need to know.

T: Right. "Can know" implies this. "Need to know" is a subset of "can know."

M: And, of course, "can know" refers to one's ability to grasp and comprehend something. When my kids were small, I only told them things their young minds could grasp, which, by the way, excluded a ton of information they could not comprehend.

T: She said "all that man can know," so she didn't qualify this, other than limit it to man.

M: Do you think there is any possibility that my view of the two phrases is correct? Or, are you convinced you’re right and I’m wrong?

T: What specifically are you perceiving that I am saying that's different than what you are saying? I'm asking you this because it's not clear to me what you're asking me if I'm convinced I'm right about and your wrong.

I wrote, “Again, ‘needs to know’ does not imply everything there is to know. . . And, of course, ‘can know’ refers to one's ability to grasp and comprehend something.” You seem to be objecting to this way of looking at it. Do you think I’m looking at it incorrectly?

Quote:
M: Awesome study, Tom. Thank you. I think I’ll read it in Sabbath school class tomorrow. Well done. Again, thank you.

T: Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.

You are very welcome. Something came up, though, and I didn’t make it to church. I hope to share it with them one of these days. Again, thank you for putting so much time and effort into writing such a great study.

Quote:
M: Having said that, I hate to continue on a different vein. While I agree with what you posted above, I do not agree that Ellen White’s 8T 286 statement excludes Jesus’ revelation of God in the OT.

T: Clearly it's not included. She wrote: “All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18.

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin. (8T 216)

Obviously this isn't talking about the OT. Right? There aren't many things clearer than this.

Did you happen to read what I posted in #116926? In that section in 8T Ellen White was addressing false views regarding the person of God the Father. In it she says, "The whole Bible is a revelation of the glory of God in Christ." Yes, the revelation of Jesus, while He was here in the flesh, is by far the best. However, it is also evident that she did not say Jesus revealed everything there is to know about God.

Quote:
M: However, please bear in mind that I also believe Jesus revealed certain aspects of God’s character by teaching them rather than by demonstrating them (i.e. employ the “withdraw and permit” principle or command people to kill sinners). Seems like I recall you agreeing with this point.

T: What Ellen White wrote is that "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son." So why not stick with the word used? Christ "revealed" God, in what He said, taught, and lived. All of this testimony is important.

I agree. “Revealed” includes what He taught. And He said He was in the future going to employ the “withdraw and permit” principle of allowing death and destruction to happen. He will also command holy angels to pour out the seven last plagues.

Quote:
M: Tom, the bulk of what you’ve written about it is along the same lines of your answer here, namely, alluding to what we should do to arrive at an answer. I can honestly say you have never clearly explained your position, your conclusion. I doubt anybody here can summarize what you believe.

T: kland could for sure. I know of others who could as well, but I won't name them.

I doubt it. I’ve seen no evidence of it on this forum.

Quote:
M: Again, as far as I know, you have never clearly stated why you think Jesus in the OT commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death.

You wrote, “. . . we're told that the atonement is the great truth around which all truths cluster, and that all things should be studied in the light of the cross in order to understand them. So I suggest doing this.” Even if you were to do this, how would it change your summary? For example, if you were to say, “Therefore, in light of these things, I think Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death because . . . .” How would you finish this sentence?

T: You're whole way of thinking is wrong, IMO. I don't mean this in an offensive way, but merely to point out that I can't even begin to answer your question because there's no foundation upon which I could start. Or, trying to say this in another way, you are assuming things which I don't see as true. That is, I disagree with your assumptions, your paradigm, your whole way of looking at this. So there's no way for me to answer your question in a way you can understand. We would have to build some sort of bridge upon which to communicate. I've suggested ways that this bridge could be built.

The story of the father/hunter and his son was an attempt. But this story doesn't make sense to you. I said a number of times that if you didn't understand the story, that I could do a better job of explaining it than the story does.

I'm sorry I can't answer you in a way that's more satisfying to you, but I don't see how it would be possible to do so. I would, once again, suggest going back to the cross. We are told that all truths are to be understood in the light of the cross. So what happened there? How do we see God acting? How do we see man acting? What were the principles, the dynamics, involved there? Only by understanding the answers to these questions can we begin to tackle the more difficult ones, I believe.

You'll recall that I resisted your attempts a couple of years ago to discuss these things with you. It was only because of your undaunted persistence that I finally succumbed. Do you recall this? I don't mind having given in, because I learned a lot in our discussions, and I thank you for that. However, if this were going on today, I don't think I would have agreed, as I'm more convinced than ever of the truth of EGW's words that an understand of the cross is vital. And I think your understanding of the cross is way off.

I'm not saying mine is perfect, far from it, and I would expect that I can learn from insights you have on the subject. However, given the reality of how you view the cross, I don't think there's any way you could understand the truth of what I'm saying about these other subjects (assuming that what I'm saying is actually true). Therefore I think we would be better off discussing other subjects, such as the judgment and the cross. Also the fall. I think these are the foundational subjects upon which the others depend.

You wrote, “I disagree with your assumptions, your paradigm, your whole way of looking at this.” How are we supposed to look at the following passage:

Quote:
Leviticus
24:10 And the son of an Israelitish woman, whose father [was] an Egyptian, went out among the children of Israel: and this son of the Israelitish [woman] and a man of Israel strove together in the camp;
24:11 And the Israelitish woman's son blasphemed the name [of the LORD], and cursed. And they brought him unto Moses: (and his mother's name [was] Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan:)
24:12 And they put him in ward, that the mind of the LORD might be showed them.
24:13 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
24:14 Bring forth him that hath cursed without the camp; and let all that heard [him] lay their hands upon his head, and let all the congregation stone him.
24:15 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, Whosoever curseth his God shall bear his sin.
24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, [and] all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name [of the LORD], shall be put to death.
24:17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
24:18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
24:19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him [again].
24:21 And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
24:22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I [am] the LORD your God.
24:23 And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Is it absurd to ask, Why did Jesus command Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death?

You wrote, “I think your understanding of the cross is way off.” What do I believe about the cross that you think is way off? Are you referring to the “judicial punishment” aspect of it: “He, the sin-bearer, endures judicial punishment for iniquity and becomes sin itself for man.” (SR 225) “God's forgiveness is not merely a judicial act by which He sets us free from condemnation. It is not only forgiveness for sin, but reclaiming from sin.” (MB 114)

You wrote, “The story of the father/hunter and his son was an attempt [at building a bridge to understanding why Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death]. But this story doesn't make sense to you.” Sure it makes sense to me. It’s a very good analogy. It explains why God risks being misunderstood. I just don’t think it explains why Jesus commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. He wasn’t taking a risk. He was commanding them to do what the law demands and requires. “In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”

Capital punishment is the penalty required by law. "In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin." (Con 21) “But those who have not, through repentance and faith, secured pardon, must receive the penalty of transgression—‘the wages of sin.’ They suffer punishment varying in duration and intensity, ‘according to their works,’ but finally ending in the second death.” (GC 544) “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished ‘according to their deeds.’" (GC 673) She goes on to say:

Quote:
The penalty of transgression is always death. Christ averted the immediate execution of the death sentence by giving His life for man. . . . [Justice requires] that he who refuses to walk in the [light] must receive punishment. {HP 153.3} God is a moral governor as well as a Father. He is the Lawgiver. He makes and executes His laws. Law that has no penalty is of no force. {LDE 241.1}

When God pardons the sinner, remits the punishment he deserves, and treats him as though he had not sinned, He receives him into divine favor, and justifies him through the merits of Christ's righteousness. The sinner can be justified only through faith in the atonement made through God's dear Son, who became a sacrifice for the sins of the guilty world. {NL 20.1}

There are no saving properties in the law. It cannot pardon the transgressor. The penalty must be exacted. The Lord does not save sinners by abolishing His law, the foundation of His government in heaven and in earth. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute. {6BC 1070.4} When the law was proclaimed at Sinai, how definite was the penalty annexed, how sure was punishment to follow the transgression of that law, and how plain are the cases recorded in evidence of that fact! {4T 11.3}

“What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #117009
08/02/09 06:12 PM
08/02/09 06:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
t: that is how it is coming across to me as an observer, anyway. not only that i feel like some arent just doing the running themselves, they are also trying to drag others along with them. we'll run off exploring on all these sideroads, anything but stay on the straight and narrow.

M: Harsh words from a harsh person? Is that what you're attempting to prove? Can you not think of a less critical way of conveying your thoughts? Please stop and think about the effect of your words before you post them. Are they calculated to inform and uplift and encourage? Or, are they designed to insult and offend and discourage?

I realize you are just sharing your personal opinion, but your opinion is unloving and unChristlike. Yes, you are entitled to it, but I believe such unsolicited opinions are harsh and counterproductive. It does not promote a positive study environment.

I concur with what Arnold stated above - "In case I was not clear, I am telling you right now that what you are doing and the attitude you are exhibiting is unloving. I'm simply doing for you what I wish others would do for me."

Every once in awhile people like you come along and destroy the atmosphere of this forum with their unloving words and attitudes. Eventually they get bored with the rest of us pleading with them to stop being so harsh and unloving and they go away. Sad to say, though, most of us do not miss them. The worst of it, though, is that in some cases other members are offended and go away, too.

I would prefer it, Teresaq, if you would learn not to share your harsh and unloving words. Please keep such opinions to yourself. Instead, share the truth as you see it. Nothing positive can come from attacking people that you disagree with. Yes, you can disagree with their point of view but not without sharing why and what you believe is true. I'm hoping you don't go away mad. I'm hoping you will be a positive part of these studies. Think about it.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #117010
08/02/09 06:17 PM
08/02/09 06:17 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
it appears to be all in how one looks at it.

the penalty for drinking hemlock is death.

the penalty for ingesting arsenic is death.

the penalty for smoking is death.

the penalty for drug abuse is death.

the penalty for reckless driving is manglement or death.

a very tragic and heartbreaking recent example is, the penalty for an unhealthy lifestyle is death.

the penalty for breaking the 10c is death.

so, it seems to depend on how one looks at it.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #117011
08/02/09 06:20 PM
08/02/09 06:20 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

I would prefer it, Teresaq, if you would learn not to share your harsh and unloving words. Please keep such opinions to yourself. Instead, share the truth as you see it. Nothing positive can come from attacking people that you disagree with. Yes, you can disagree with their point of view but not without sharing why and what you believe is true. I'm hoping you don't go away mad. I'm hoping you will be a positive part of these studies. Think about it.
i do not agree that that is what i am doing.

now how do i stop you from the way you address me. i have stated it everyway i know how but you do not see yourself as doing what i see.

what is the answer?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #117012
08/02/09 06:49 PM
08/02/09 06:49 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Everyone has a right to their own opinions, which are formed from ones own experience. However we all know that being a Christian is not easy, so if you find it difficult to be exercise patience with someone, then you know you are on the right track. Just persevere a bit longer and do the right thing.
FYI: We are all in the same boat, only advantage we have is we have accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior, which is a gift.

Lets keep this civil even if it means you have to bite on your lip.

God Bless,
Will

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #117013
08/02/09 06:56 PM
08/02/09 06:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Regarding God's causing pain, I wasn't discussing this as a general principle, but was specifically addressing a subset of this, in particular, God's (supposedly) causing excruciating pain upon His enemies in order to get them to do His will.

In the case of the plagues in Egypt, Ellen White wrote the following:

Quote:
Still the heart of Pharaoh grew harder. And now the Lord sent a message to him, declaring, "I will at this time send all My plagues upon thy heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like Me in all the earth. . . . And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to show in thee My power." Not that God had given him an existence for this purpose, but His providence had overruled events to place him upon the throne at the very time appointed for Israel's deliverance. Though this haughty tyrant had by his crimes forfeited the mercy of God, yet his life had been preserved that through his stubbornness the Lord might manifest His wonders in the land of Egypt. The disposing of events is of God's providence. He could have placed upon the throne a more merciful king, who would not have dared to withstand the mighty manifestations of divine power. But in that case the Lord's purposes would not have been accomplished. His people were permitted to experience the grinding cruelty of the Egyptians, that they might not be deceived concerning the debasing influence of idolatry. In His dealing with Pharaoh, the Lord manifested His hatred of idolatry and His determination to punish cruelty and oppression. {PP 267.4}

God had declared concerning Pharaoh, "I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go." Exodus 4:21. There was no exercise of supernatural power to harden the heart of the king. God gave to Pharaoh the most striking evidence of divine power, but the monarch stubbornly refused to heed the light. Every display of infinite power rejected by him, rendered him the more determined in his rebellion. The seeds of rebellion that he sowed when he rejected the first miracle, produced their harvest. As he continued to venture on in his own course, going from one degree of stubbornness to another, his heart became more and more hardened, until he was called to look upon the cold, dead faces of the first-born. {PP 268.1}

God commanded Pharaoh, “Let my people go, that they may serve me.” He sent plague after plague until His object was achieved, namely, “that thou mayest know that there is none like Me in all the earth.” “In His dealing with Pharaoh, the Lord manifested His hatred of idolatry and His determination to punish cruelty and oppression.” (ibid.) “God had judged the Egyptians by sending the plagues upon them, and made them hasten His people out of Egypt with all that they possessed.” {SR 120.2}

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!