Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Teresaq, I agree that selfishness and unselfishness are opposites, however, I disagree that the absence of one is the presence of the other. We are not being like Jesus simply because we are not being like Satan. Just because big brother doesn't punch little brother in the nose it doesn't mean he is being Christlike. The opposite of love is indifference not hate. To be like Jesus requires the death of self and a rebirth in the likeness of sweet Jesus. Two different dynamics must play out - 1) Self must die, and 2) rebirth must happen. These two things are not opposites; instead, they are two totally different things that must happen to be like Jesus.
well, ok. but it seems to me your issue is with ellen white.

if youll notice there is only one sentence from me in all that.
"and that makes sense if we know what sin is" in green.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.