HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #117254
08/07/09 05:58 PM
08/07/09 05:58 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Righteousness is holiness,
likeness to God,
and "God is love." 1 John 4:16.

It is conformity to the law of God,
for "all Thy commandments are righteousness" (Psalm 119:172), and "love is the fulfilling of the law" (Romans 13:10).

Righteousness is love,
and love is the light and the life of God.
The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ.
We receive righteousness by receiving Him. {MB 18.1}

Not by painful struggles or wearisome toil,
not by gift or sacrifice,
is righteousness obtained;
but it is freely given to every soul who hungers and thirsts to receive it.
"Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat, . . . without money and without price."
"Their righteousness is of Me, saith the Lord,"
and, "This is His name whereby He shall be called,
The Lord Our Righteousness." Isaiah 55:1; 54:17; Jeremiah 23:6. {MB 18.2}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #117257
08/07/09 06:45 PM
08/07/09 06:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Love is the light and the life of God.

This is an interesting thought. Love is the light of God. That ties in with this:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.(DA 764)

and this:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #117312
08/09/09 02:49 PM
08/09/09 02:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: However, everything else about the OC (i.e. everything God commanded the COI to do) still applies today in principle if not in particular. I suspect you agree with this.

T: If you're saying:

1.God instructed the COI to do certain things.
2.If you strip away all the things which don't have to do with the 10 Commandments.
3.Then, of what's left, the same instructions apply to us, in principle.

Then I agree, as all that's left are the principles of the 10 Commandments, which, of course, apply to us.

What do you think must be stripped away? Are you referring to any one of the “judgments and laws” that were "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified"? Or, are you referring only to the “ritual laws”?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #117314
08/09/09 03:11 PM
08/09/09 03:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: In essence, the OC is the NC amplified.

T: Not at all! The OC and the NC are completely different. One is bad, and the other is good.

So far you have said the OC was bad because it involved the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise. I agree. I’ve been saying the same thing all along. Are you aware of the fact that I’m in agreement with you on this one point?

Quote:
T: The OC leads to bondage. God wouldn't give something that leads to bondage. The OC is faulty. God wouldn't give something which is faulty. The OC involved establishing one's own righteousness instead of accepting the righteousness of Christ. God wouldn't give something based on that principle. Also what you're suggesting completely disagrees with Waggoner's position, a position Ellen White said was a waste of "investigative powers" to argue against.

M: Yes, in one sense the conditions of OC caused a kind of bondage. Having to obey and observe some of those rites and rituals was terribly inconvenient. It was a major relief not to have to observe them after Jesus died and ascended to heaven

T: MM, this has absolutely nothing to do with the bondage of the OC!

Are you saying having to obey and observe all those rites and rituals was not a kind of bondage that “was against us, which was contrary to us”, and that it is not a major relief not to have to do it now?

Quote:
M: It is very clear, though, that God commanded the COI to obey and observe all the laws and rituals He required at Sinai. He expected them to obey and observe them.

T: God did nothing to put them in bondage, which is what you're implying! Think of it. If you say that observing the things God instructed them to do is bondage, then God put them into bondage. It is sin which put them into bondage, by unbelief, because they didn't believe His promises. God, all the time, was working to get them *out* of bondage.

To put it in terms you are familiar with, the COI forced God to require them to obey and observe rites and rituals that “was against us, which was contrary to us”. It was not God’s original will or desire for them. Remember, initially He wanted them to live under the terms and conditions of the NC (i.e. live in harmony with the 10Cs, circumcision, and occasional sacrifices).

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117316
08/09/09 04:04 PM
08/09/09 04:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You wrote, “You deny that all that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son in His humanity. You've admitted you don't believe this.” Perhaps this why it seems like we are on a merry-go-round. The truth is, I do believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. It’s just that I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings. I seem to recall you and I agreeing on this point. Is that true?

T: You just said a little earlier you didn't believe this. If you're going this way and that, I don't know what to believe. Let's let that go. If you're saying that you believe that Jesus Christ, in His humanity, revealed all the man can know of God, then we are in agreement. You're saying you agree with this?

I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings.

Are you saying you agree with this?

Quote:
M: Do you agree that the following passages say, among other things, that capital punishment "[illustrated and applied] the principles of the Ten Commandments", that it is "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified"?

T: No.

What? That’s precisely what she said. Why do you exclude capital punishment? It was an integral part of the “judgments and laws” which were “only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified".

Quote:
M: Also, do you think Jesus was commanding the use of force and violence when He ordered Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death?

T: I think the web site I referred you to gives a good explanation of what I think.

M: I read through it and didn’t see where the author specifically addressed this concern. If it’s there, please post it here. Thank you.

T: Chapter 9. The principles needed to understand the case are discussed.

Are you saying 1) the author didn’t specifically address this issue, and that 2) you are expecting me to know how you apply the principles to it? If so, then you are expecting way too much of me. Please state your position clearly and concisely. Thank you. BTW, you have never done this, that is, you have never plainly stated why you think Jesus ordered Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death.

Quote:
M: You wrote, "Where do you see violence in Him?" "I asked you to consider the Sermon on the Mount, but you didn't." True, Jesus did not use force or violence to persuade people to do anything against their wishes.

T: He didn't use it for any other purpose either.

M: Why did you split this sentence off from the one following it? I say the very same thing. By splitting it off it gives the impression I didn’t say it.

You don't say the same thing. You deny it. You believe God used force or violence on many occasions. You don't call what was done "force" or "violence," but in terms of the actual definitions of the words, this is what you believe. For example, in the plagues of Egypt, you believe God used more and more force and violence (inflicting pain and death) until finally Pharaoh capitulated.

Tell me how you would say this, and I can quote it, so I'm not using words you don't like, but God did X more and more until Pharaoh capitulated. It is this God doing X that I disagree with, regardless of how you choose to label X.

God demonstrated His power. “Every manifestation of creative power is an expression of infinite love.” {PP 32} “These judgments are sent that those who lightly regard God's law and trample upon His authority may be led to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty. {PP 109} “Thus in the midst of judgment the mercy of God was displayed, the people were tested, and it was shown how many had been led to fear God by the manifestation of His power. {PP 269} The following two passage explain why God chose to demonstration His power through the plagues of Egypt:

Quote:
The Hebrews had expected to obtain their freedom without any special trial of their faith or any real suffering or hardship. But they were not yet prepared for deliverance. They had little faith in God, and were unwilling patiently to endure their afflictions until He should see fit to work for them. Many were content to remain in bondage rather than meet the difficulties attending removal to a strange land; and the habits of some had become so much like those of the Egyptians that they preferred to dwell in Egypt. Therefore the Lord did not deliver them by the first manifestation of His power before Pharaoh. He overruled events more fully to develop the tyrannical spirit of the Egyptian king and also to reveal Himself to His people. Beholding His justice, His power, and His love, they would choose to leave Egypt and give themselves to His service. The task of Moses would have been much less difficult had not many of the Israelites become so corrupted that they were unwilling to leave Egypt. {PP 260.2}

He was informed that the monarch would not yield until God should visit judgments upon Egypt and bring out Israel by the signal manifestation of His power. Before the infliction of each plague, Moses was to describe its nature and effects, that the king might save himself from it if he chose. Every punishment rejected would be followed by one more severe, until his proud heart would be humbled, and he would acknowledge the Maker of heaven and earth as the true and living God. The Lord would give the Egyptians an opportunity to see how vain was the wisdom of their mighty men, how feeble the power of their gods, when opposed to the commands of Jehovah. He would punish the people of Egypt for their idolatry and silence their boasting of the blessings received from their senseless deities. God would glorify His own name, that other nations might hear of His power and tremble at His mighty acts, and that His people might be led to turn from their idolatry and render Him pure worship. {PP 263.1}

Demonstrating His power in the way He did and for the reasons He did was not a show of force or violence. Do you agree?

Quote:
T: He permitted death and destruction. Regarding the rest, you're simply assuming what you already believe to be true. I'm asking where you see what you believe to be true in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Your answer appears to be ... no answer.

M: True, not once did Jesus resort to the “withdraw and permit” principle of allowing death and destruction to happen while He was here in the flesh.

T: This is FOTAP. I'm not saying that God resorts to the "withdraw and permit" principle but that people cause His protection to be withdrawn.

M: We’ve been over this before and I thought we were in agreement on this point.

T: ??? Why would you think this? I'm confused. I believe that all that can be known of God was revealed by the life and character of Jesus Christ in His humanity. It appears to me that you don't agree with this, and are using this "withdraw and permit" things as an example to disprove what I'm asserting. But you may be trying to do something else.

M: However, He did teach it, that it He would in future resort to it. His confirmation that Jews and Jerusalem would alike perish is an example. Also, His doctrine regarding “weeping and gnashing of teeth” speak to it.

T: This is again FOTAP, I believe. It's not a principle that Christ "resorts" to, but, as the SOP puts it, what happens is people cause God's protection to be removed. I really have no idea what overall point you're trying to make here, however.

Jesus employed the “withdraw and permit” principle throughout the OT. Yes, circumstances forced Him to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to happen. The point is – Death and destruction cannot happen without God’s permission. It does not happen naturally. He must first withdraw His protection. Sinners do not cause it to happen. They don’t do something and then it happens. For example, the antediluvians did not make water flood the earth and kill everyone. Nor did the sodomites make fire burn everyone alive. True, it was on account of their filling up their cup of woe and wrath that Jesus was forced to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to happen.

Quote:
M: You wrote, “So the idea is, ‘If you love and obey me, then I won't cause you to suffer or die.’” The Bible doesn’t express it in those terms. Instead, the idea is if you despise and reject the salvation wrought out for you at such great cost to God you will be punished and destroyed according to your words and works.

T: What it's called isn't the important thing. It's what's happening that's important. You believe that what happens is that God will cause you to suffer and die if you don't do what He says. Don't you?

God will withdraw His protection and permit the radiant light of His presence to cause sinners pain and suffering in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. He will also rain down fire from above and raise up fire from below. In this environment they will suffer and die.

Quote:
M: Paul isn’t using force or compelling power to push people into believing something they despise and reject. He is simply stating the truth. People deserve to know the truth.

T: It doesn't appear to me you are taking into consideration what Paul believed, as expressed elsewhere (particularly Romans, chapters 1 and 12 come to mind) regarding wrath and vengeance. God's wrath is His "giving up" those who reject Him to the result of their choice. Rom. 1 makes that clear. The vengeance is spoken of in terms of giving your enemy food to eat, and, in so doing, heaping coals upon his head.

Are you suggesting resurrected sinners will suffer and die at the end of time because God is kind to them?

Quote:
M: Jesus came the first time to demonstrate to us how to live in harmony with the will of God. He did not come to punish us for despising and rejecting Him. However, He has promised that the second time He comes He will punish those who despise and reject Him.

T: According to the SOP, the whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth was "the revelation of God." She didn't limit His mission the way you are. The "revelation of God" includes everything about Him, not just the "nicey-nice" side (as teresa put it).

Are you disagreeing with the idea the OT envisioned two different advents with two different sets of goals? Please refer to the many quotation I posted above.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117322
08/09/09 06:36 PM
08/09/09 06:36 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Quote:
M: Do you agree that the following passages say, among other things, that capital punishment "[illustrated and applied] the principles of the Ten Commandments", that it is "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified"?

What? That’s precisely what she said. Why do you exclude capital punishment? It was an integral part of the “judgments and laws” which were “only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified".

Quote:
Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

He then came still closer to his people, and would not leave them, who were so readily led astray, with merely the ten precepts of the decalogue. He required Moses to write as he should bid him, judgments and laws, giving minute directions in regard to what he required them to perform, and thereby guarded the ten precepts which he had engraved upon the tables of stone. These specific directions and requirements were given to draw erring man to the obedience of the moral law which he is so prone to transgress. {3SG 299.1}

As the Bible presents two laws, one changeless and eternal, the other provisional and temporary, so there are two covenants. {PP 370.2}[/quote]mm, in reflecting on these statements and the issues, it seems to me that God had no reason to give the "judgments and laws" to adam and eve, nor will they be applicable in the new earth. He also hadnt given them before abraham, nor after, so it seems the only reason God gave them, based on the pp, is because of the mental state of the israelites at delivery from the egyptians.

so what ellen white meant by "amplified" seems to be explained by her other comments.
Quote:
The Hebrews had expected to obtain their freedom without any special trial of their faith or any real suffering or hardship. But they were not yet prepared for deliverance. They had little faith in God, and were unwilling patiently to endure their afflictions until He should see fit to work for them. Many were content to remain in bondage rather than meet the difficulties attending removal to a strange land; and the habits of some had become so much like those of the Egyptians that they preferred to dwell in Egypt. ..Beholding His justice, His power, and His love, they would choose to leave Egypt and give themselves to His service. The task of Moses would have been much less difficult had not many of the Israelites become so corrupted that they were unwilling to leave Egypt. {PP 260.2}

Quote:
The minds of the people, blinded and debased by slavery and heathenism, were not prepared to appreciate fully the far-reaching principles of God's ten precepts. That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments. .... {PP 310.1}

would that make sense?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117323
08/09/09 06:44 PM
08/09/09 06:44 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Jesus employed the “withdraw and permit” principle throughout the OT.
i think that seeing it this way prevents a clear understanding of Gods continual protection over us.

these are just a couple:
Quote:
They would guard the subjects of grace from the power of evil angels, and from the darkness thrown around them by Satan. {ST, November 4, 1908 par. 5}

And while all heaven is interested in watching over the children of men that they shall not perish but have everlasting life, while they are sheltering and guarding them on the right and on the left, they take themselves right out of the hands of the angels of God and put themselves into the hands of the devil. {2SAT 64.1}

Quote:
Yes, circumstances forced Him to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to happen. The point is – Death and destruction cannot happen without God’s permission. It does not happen naturally. He must first withdraw His protection. Sinners do not cause it to happen. They don’t do something and then it happens. .... True, it was on account of their filling up their cup of woe and wrath that Jesus was forced to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to happen.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #117328
08/09/09 08:24 PM
08/09/09 08:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: However, everything else about the OC (i.e. everything God commanded the COI to do) still applies today in principle if not in particular. I suspect you agree with this.

T: If you're saying:

1.God instructed the COI to do certain things.
2.If you strip away all the things which don't have to do with the 10 Commandments.
3.Then, of what's left, the same instructions apply to us, in principle.

Then I agree, as all that's left are the principles of the 10 Commandments, which, of course, apply to us.

M:What do you think must be stripped away? Are you referring to any one of the “judgments and laws” that were "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified"? Or, are you referring only to the “ritual laws”?

There are a lot of things which were pertaining to the Israelites, such as polygamy, divorce, slavery, to name a few. I wouldn't call these "ritual laws," would you. Yet they don't apply to us, right? God's not in favor of divorce, slavery or polygamy, is He?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117329
08/09/09 08:35 PM
08/09/09 08:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: In essence, the OC is the NC amplified.

T: Not at all! The OC and the NC are completely different. One is bad, and the other is good.

M:So far you have said the OC was bad because it involved the COI promising to obey and observe everything God required of them without fully understanding their need and dependence on Him to keep their promise. I agree. I’ve been saying the same thing all along. Are you aware of the fact that I’m in agreement with you on this one point?

IMO, you're not really in agreement with me. You wrote, "In essence, the OC is the NC amplified." I completely disagree with this, for the reasons I explained. The fact that you could write such a think demonstrates that you don't agree with what I'm saying.

Quote:
M: Yes, in one sense the conditions of OC caused a kind of bondage. Having to obey and observe some of those rites and rituals was terribly inconvenient. It was a major relief not to have to observe them after Jesus died and ascended to heaven

T: MM, this has absolutely nothing to do with the bondage of the OC!

M:Are you saying having to obey and observe all those rites and rituals was not a kind of bondage that “was against us, which was contrary to us”, and that it is not a major relief not to have to do it now?

MM, God gave these things to the COI. How could they have been against them? When you speak of the rites and rituals, are you speaking of the Ceremonial law?

Sin is bondage. That's what "was against us, which was contrary to us." It's a major relief not to have to sin.

Quote:
M: It is very clear, though, that God commanded the COI to obey and observe all the laws and rituals He required at Sinai. He expected them to obey and observe them.

T: God did nothing to put them in bondage, which is what you're implying! Think of it. If you say that observing the things God instructed them to do is bondage, then God put them into bondage. It is sin which put them into bondage, by unbelief, because they didn't believe His promises. God, all the time, was working to get them *out* of bondage.

M:To put it in terms you are familiar with, the COI forced God to require them to obey and observe rites and rituals that “was against us, which was contrary to us”.

No, MM. God didn't give the COI things which were against them, or contrary to them, or put them into bondage.

Quote:
It was not God’s original will or desire for them. Remember, initially He wanted them to live under the terms and conditions of the NC (i.e. live in harmony with the 10Cs, circumcision, and occasional sacrifices).

Yes, which is why He offered them the same covenant He offered Abraham. But they refused that covenant and initiated their own.

God's covenant was to accept the righteousness of Christ, and have the law written in the heart. Their covenant was to go about trying to establish their own righteousness, and not have the law written in the heart.

God's covenant leads to freedom. Their covenant led to bondage, and still does.

Although God went along with their wishes, He did so in such a way as to instruct them in the ways of Christ, so they would be led to freedom. He worked with their unbelief and gave them things to help them. He did not institute a system to put them into bondage, nor give them things which were contrary to them or against them.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117330
08/09/09 08:56 PM
08/09/09 08:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:If you're saying that you believe that Jesus Christ, in His humanity, revealed all the man can know of God, then we are in agreement. You're saying you agree with this?

M:I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings.

Are you saying you agree with this?

Since the SOP tells us that Christ lived what He taught, I believe it's sufficient to say that Christ revealed God's character fully and completely by His life.

Quote:

M:What? That’s precisely what she said. Why do you exclude capital punishment? It was an integral part of the “judgments and laws” which were “only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified".

I think you're misreading what she wrote, and that you are confusing the principles of the Ten Commandments with judgments related to breaking certain laws. IMO, it shouldn't be difficult to see that principles related to commandments are not the same thing as judgments related to breaking them.

Quote:
Are you saying 1) the author didn’t specifically address this issue, and that 2) you are expecting me to know how you apply the principles to it? If so, then you are expecting way too much of me. Please state your position clearly and concisely. Thank you. BTW, you have never done this, that is, you have never plainly stated why you think Jesus ordered Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death.

I'm saying 2). I'm sorry I'm expecting too much of you. I have stated my position. I'm sorry you haven't understood what I've said.

I think we've spent enough time on this. Why not do what I've suggested, which is to stay with a study of the cross, of the final judgment, and with the character and life of Jesus Christ which fully revealed God?

Quote:
M:Demonstrating His power in the way He did and for the reasons He did was not a show of force or violence. Do you agree?

How could I not? The whole time I've been advocated that God did not use force or violence to get His way, as your view suggests. The fact that you don't label it "force" or "violence" doesn't change what you actually believe, which is that God used what in ordinary conversation would be labeled by an ordinary person as "force" and "violence."

Quote:
M: However, He did teach it, that it He would in future resort to it. His confirmation that Jews and Jerusalem would alike perish is an example. Also, His doctrine regarding “weeping and gnashing of teeth” speak to it.

T: This is again FOTAP, I believe. It's not a principle that Christ "resorts" to, but, as the SOP puts it, what happens is people cause God's protection to be removed. I really have no idea what overall point you're trying to make here, however.

M:Jesus employed the “withdraw and permit” principle throughout the OT.

I should just put something where I can copy and paste it, since you keep using this language. At any rate, I either disagree with your idea here, or think the language is ill-chosen, for reasons I've explained on several occasions. I think what the SOP said, that people caused God to withdraw His protection, is a better way of putting it, being more accurate than what you are saying, clearly indicating upon whom the blame/responsibility lies.

Quote:
Yes, circumstances forced Him to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to happen.

People did this. The "circumstances" was the free will decisions that people made.

Quote:
The point is – Death and destruction cannot happen without God’s permission.

IMO, this isn't much of a point. Nothing can happen that God doesn't permit, because God is omnipotent.

Quote:
It does not happen naturally. He must first withdraw His protection. Sinners do not cause it to happen.

Actually, they do. The cause God to withdraw His protection, according to GC 35, 36.

Quote:
They don’t do something and then it happens.

Yes they do. The do something, which causes God to withdraw His protection.

Quote:
For example, the antediluvians did not make water flood the earth and kill everyone.

They did indirectly by causing God wot withdraw His protection.

Quote:
Nor did the sodomites make fire burn everyone alive.

They caused God to withdraw His protection.

Quote:
True, it was on account of their filling up their cup of woe and wrath that Jesus was forced to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to happen.

Right! Why not just say this?

Quote:
God will withdraw His protection and permit the radiant light of His presence to cause sinners pain and suffering in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. He will also rain down fire from above and raise up fire from below. In this environment they will suffer and die.

Before you said that God works to prevent sin from having destructive consequences upon those who practice it, consequences deriving from the conscience being violated. The SOP tells us if we had to bear the enormity of our guilt, it would crush us. Christ bears our guilt, and when He ceases to do so for those who have rejected Him, it crushes them.

I have no idea why you think God would have to add some arbitrary punishment on top of the death and destruction which you yourself said that sin causes. I also have no idea why you insist on speaking of "radiant light" when quotes from the SOP, such as this one, make it clear that it's not a physical issue:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

Quote:
M:Are you suggesting resurrected sinners will suffer and die at the end of time because God is kind to them?

I wasn't suggesting this, but I'm not opposed to the idea. That is, one could say this, and it would be true. The wicked will suffer and die at the end of time because of God's kindness to them. Amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
M: Jesus came the first time to demonstrate to us how to live in harmony with the will of God. He did not come to punish us for despising and rejecting Him. However, He has promised that the second time He comes He will punish those who despise and reject Him.

T: According to the SOP, the whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth was "the revelation of God." She didn't limit His mission the way you are. The "revelation of God" includes everything about Him, not just the "nicey-nice" side (as teresa put it).

M:Are you disagreeing with the idea the OT envisioned two different advents with two different sets of goals? Please refer to the many quotation I posted above.

I think the character of the One acting in both comings is the same, and was fully revealed by Jesus Christ, whose "whole purpose" was the "revelation of God." I don't think Christ only revealed one side of God, the kinder/gentler side, and that His other side, the vindictive/violent side will be revealed later.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!