HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,645
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (daylily, TheophilusOne, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: teresaq] #117423
08/10/09 09:53 PM
08/10/09 09:53 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Here's a familiar one that reinforces the idea that the trumpets and seals have a future application and describe the judgments of God mixed with mercy before the close of probation. The future application of the trumpets and seals appear to be this 'little time of trouble' Ellen White speaks of below and may not bear much resemblance to their initial fulfilment:

Quote:
And at the commencement of the time of trouble, we were filled with the Holy Ghost as we went forth and proclaimed the Sabbath more fully. EW 33.

If all seven trumpets and seals take place of a period of months rather than centuries, I suggest the original fulfilment may not be that helpful to us. The past applications were symbolic, the future will likely be much more literal.

(Is it my browser or computer that's centering all of the text or is it the forum?)

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117429
08/10/09 10:20 PM
08/10/09 10:20 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Regarding Revelation 11 Ellen White says it applies to the future, just before the close of probation when God rains fire and brimstone as well as other less supernatural disasters on the great cities of the world.

Quote:
Out of the cities, is my message at this time. Be assured that the call is for our people to locate miles away from the large cities. One look at San Francisco as it is today would speak to your intelligent minds, showing you the necessity of getting out of the cities. . . . {LDE 95.2}
The Lord calls for His people to locate away from the cities, for in such an hour as ye think not, fire and brimstone will be rained from heaven upon these cities. Proportionate to their sins will be their visitation. When one city is destroyed, let not our people regard this matter as a light affair, and think that they may, if favorable opportunity offers, build themselves homes in that same destroyed city. . . . {LDE 95.3}
Let all who would understand the meaning of these things read the eleventh chapter of Revelation. Read every verse, and learn the things that are yet to take place in the cities. Read also the scenes portrayed in the eighteenth chapter of the same book.--MR 1518 (May 10, 1906). {LDE 95.4}

When you have a chance turn to Rev 11 and look to see how she has applied this. Rather than looking for a future fulfillment that closely parallels our past interpretation, note how widely different her future application is on this chapter. The sins of atheistic France - licentiousness and idolatry - will be the hallmarks of the cities that bear the judgments of God, but beyond that, we have to let the prophecy speak for itself. This quote is one that you, Elle might tuck away in the back of your mind for future reference; it may strengthen your faith in Ellen White’s prophetic gift when this is fulfilled. She is clearly speaking as a prophet here. I would never have applied this passage as she’s done.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117468
08/11/09 05:17 AM
08/11/09 05:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think it's the forum.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117481
08/11/09 01:27 PM
08/11/09 01:27 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick
Regarding Revelation 11 Ellen White says it applies to the future, just before the close of probation when God rains fire and brimstone as well as other less supernatural disasters on the great cities of the world.

Quote:
Out of the cities, is my message at this time. Be assured that the call is for our people to locate miles away from the large cities. One look at San Francisco as it is today would speak to your intelligent minds, showing you the necessity of getting out of the cities. . . . {LDE 95.2}
The Lord calls for His people to locate away from the cities, for in such an hour as ye think not, fire and brimstone will be rained from heaven upon these cities. Proportionate to their sins will be their visitation. When one city is destroyed, let not our people regard this matter as a light affair, and think that they may, if favorable opportunity offers, build themselves homes in that same destroyed city. . . . {LDE 95.3}
Let all who would understand the meaning of these things read the eleventh chapter of Revelation. Read every verse, and learn the things that are yet to take place in the cities. Read also the scenes portrayed in the eighteenth chapter of the same book.--MR 1518 (May 10, 1906). {LDE 95.4}

When you have a chance turn to Rev 11 and look to see how she has applied this. Rather than looking for a future fulfillment that closely parallels our past interpretation, note how widely different her future application is on this chapter. The sins of atheistic France - licentiousness and idolatry - will be the hallmarks of the cities that bear the judgments of God, but beyond that, we have to let the prophecy speak for itself. This quote is one that you, Elle might tuck away in the back of your mind for future reference; it may strengthen your faith in Ellen White’s prophetic gift when this is fulfilled. She is clearly speaking as a prophet here. I would never have applied this passage as she’s done.

Thanks for thinking of me Mark and I did go to find what verses in Rev 11 this might refer to. All I can come close was Rev 11:5. Do you think it refers to the fire and brimstone that will destroy the big cities? Hmmmm. I really have a hard time to see that text saying that. Here's some Bible text, in blue are my comments.
Quote:
(Malachi 4:5,6) "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse."

Rev 11:3 And I will give [power] unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred [and] threescore days, clothed in sackcloth....
Rev 11:5 And if any man will hurt them(the 2 witnesses, according to my understanding they are the 144K), fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.

To me this text is referring that "fire proceedeth out" of the mouth of the two witnesses(the 144K) and "devoureth their enemies". To be frank with you, I don't know what is that fire. I don't think it is literal, however I was more expecting a two edge sword as they will be prophecizing with power the word of God for 1260 days. But maybe that symbol is uniquely reserved to describe Jesus and that is why it is describe as "Fire" here. These 144K will be speaking by the two witnesses(1. word of God and 2. the spirit). So maybe these two together makes fire in some symbolic ways convicting the hearers by devouring all their wrong pre-conceived opinions. I don't know and it's something I would like to dig deeper and find scripture to explain this.

However, I do believe that Ellen White is right that Rev 11 is futur and her warnings are true that we need to get out of the cities, especially the big ones. In the big cities, there's a concentration of people. I'm sure Satan, when he appears in person with his angels will perform most of their shows in the big cities. Calling fire coming down from heaven will be Satan's biggest miracle to deceive many. God didn't allow the 144K to call fire from heaven during their 1260days of prophesy, but will allow Satan. See the text below :
Quote:
2 Thessalonians 2:3,4,9,10 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed(Satan himself), the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. . . . [Even him], whose coming(2nd coming) is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved."

Revelation 13:13,14 KJV And he(the 2-horned-Beast, Satan in person, that came out of the bottomless pit at the 5th Trumpet sound) doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

2Cor 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Blessings
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Elle] #117563
08/12/09 04:08 PM
08/12/09 04:08 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Quote:
Thanks for thinking of me Mark and I did go to find what verses in Rev 11 this might refer to. All I can come close was Rev 11:5. Do you think it refers to the fire and brimstone that will destroy the big cities? Hmmmm. I really have a hard time to see that text saying that.

I'd have a hard time with it too if it wasn't Ellen White. Like I said above, her application surprised me as well. But I don't doubt it will happen.

It's not clear if she's saying that individuals will be called to warn wicked cities before the event, like Jonah. At a minimum she's saying that God will rain fire and brimstone on them because of their unwillingess to listen to the testimony of His two Witnesses, the Word and the Spirit of Prophecy (the SOP in the broader sense.)

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117569
08/12/09 06:19 PM
08/12/09 06:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Mark:At a minimum she's saying that God will rain fire and brimstone on them because of their unwillingess to listen to the testimony of His two Witnesses, the Word and the Spirit of Prophecy (the SOP in the broader sense.)

I don't think she's saying this! She had written:

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of.(14MR 3)

In addition, for God to rain fire and brimstone on others because of their unwillingness to listen to His Witnesses would be contrary to the following counsel, it seems to me:

Quote:
There can be no more conclusive evidence that we possess the spirit of Satan than the disposition to hurt and destroy those who do not appreciate our work, or who act contrary to our ideas." (DA 487)

Anyway, back to Rev. 11 and EGW's comment.

Quote:
And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.(Rev. 11:13)

I think this verse may have been especially on her mind. You'll notice she wrote her comments in May of 1906. The San Francisco earthquake occurred in April of 1906.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117573
08/12/09 06:57 PM
08/12/09 06:57 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
According to Ellen White, the seven thunders of Revelation 10 are also future:

Quote:
After these seven thunders uttered their voices, the injunction comes to John as to Daniel in regard to the little book: "Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered." These relate to future events which will be disclosed in their order. Daniel shall stand in his lot at the end of the days. John sees the little book unsealed. Then Daniel's prophecies have their proper place in the first, second, and third angels' messages to be given to the world. The unsealing of the little book was the message in relation to time. {7BC 971.4}

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117575
08/12/09 07:36 PM
08/12/09 07:36 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
It's not either/or in my view, Tom. It's cause and effect, but behind the scenes God's providences, His mercies and His justice always prevail. God is a lawgiver and yet he is the fountain of mercy. All things work together for our good.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117580
08/12/09 09:27 PM
08/12/09 09:27 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
OK, so far we have the abomination of desolation in Daniel, the seals, trumpets, thunders, and testimony of the two witnesses, all future. Those items are found roughly in Daniel 8, 9, 11, 12, Revelation 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11. What about the introductory scenes to the seals and trumpets, Revelation 4 and 5 and Revelation 8:1-5 respectively. Here's a quote on Revelation 5:
Quote:

The fifth chapter of Revelation needs to be closely studied. It is of great importance to those who shall act a part in the work of God for these last days. There are some who are deceived. They do not realize what is coming on the earth. {9T 267.]

That Ellen White above is applying Revelation 5 to the future is clear. The question is, when is she aplying it to. I suggest that if the passage is read in its context she makes a dual application - both to the future. Her first application is to the 'little time of trouble' and the second is to the execution of the judgment at the end of the millineum.

Re: Ellen White a Futurist? [Re: Charity] #117585
08/12/09 10:00 PM
08/12/09 10:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It's not either/or in my view, Tom. It's cause and effect, but behind the scenes God's providences, His mercies and His justice always prevail. God is a lawgiver and yet he is the fountain of mercy. All things work together for our good.

If you're using the phrase that God "rains fire and brimstone" upon those who have rejected His witnesses in the sense that things play out as EGW explained in 14MR 3, then I agree with you, and am sorry if I misunderstood you. Also, I'm not wanting to derail your thread. It's just that I feel constrained to comment in some way when I see certain things.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:18 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:09 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!