HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 70 of 91 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117460
08/11/09 03:21 AM
08/11/09 03:21 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Tom,

It was not a matter of "I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next."
is that what tom has said or implied? you wouldnt be trying to put your opponent in the worst possible light, right?

those who try to make others look bad are the ones who look bad to me, even if i agree with their position. while there may be guests and spiders who feel its ok to hurt ones opponent, there are definitely others who are like me.
Quote:
If you do not choose to accept that, I think God's judgments yet future will come as a shock to you.
what is coming will be a shock to all of us. it will be the most horrible time this planet has ever seen. already the judgments of God are being poured out.

Quote:
The seven last plagues will be more terrible than the ten which Egypt experienced, and I have no doubt in my mind but that God is directly in control of them, not just "withdrawing protection" (which I agree that He does) and then seeing what the devil conjures up with the extra liberty.
again, gc, can you produce posts from tom where he has stated it this way?

Quote:
In my mind, we remove a portion of God's honor in trying to attribute the plagues to any other source. God was honored to be recognized as the responsible party for their causation. ...
i respect that you are trying to honor God, but is it possible others sincerely believe they are also honoring God?

including myself here also, because i need to watch myself more closely, dont we honor God most by treating everyone with respect and dignity?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117471
08/11/09 05:43 AM
08/11/09 05:43 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Tom,

It was not a matter of "I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next."
is that what tom has said or implied? you wouldnt be trying to put your opponent in the worst possible light, right?

Teresa,

By putting that question to me, you have done what you criticize me of. However, I am blameless. Here are the quotes from Tom in which he has said or implied what I referenced:

Originally Posted By: Tom
Anyway, the principles are plain in the quotes cited above. Satan causes the plagues when God permits. Link to Post

God destroys by withdrawing His protection. This is also called God's wrath.
Satan kills actively. When God destroys it is by allowing sin/Satan to have its destructive consequences. Link to Post

those who try to make others look bad are the ones who look bad to me, even if i agree with their position. while there may be guests and spiders who feel its ok to hurt ones opponent, there are definitely others who are like me.

Who are you trying to make look bad here? I think an apology is in order.

Quote:
If you do not choose to accept that, I think God's judgments yet future will come as a shock to you.
what is coming will be a shock to all of us. it will be the most horrible time this planet has ever seen. already the judgments of God are being poured out.

I agree on this point.

Quote:
The seven last plagues will be more terrible than the ten which Egypt experienced, and I have no doubt in my mind but that God is directly in control of them, not just "withdrawing protection" (which I agree that He does) and then seeing what the devil conjures up with the extra liberty.
again, gc, can you produce posts from tom where he has stated it this way?

Go back some pages in this thread, some months even, and you will find multiple posts where Tom has clearly explained his view. The quotes I provided above are some good examples.

Quote:
In my mind, we remove a portion of God's honor in trying to attribute the plagues to any other source. God was honored to be recognized as the responsible party for their causation. ...
i respect that you are trying to honor God, but is it possible others sincerely believe they are also honoring God?

including myself here also, because i need to watch myself more closely, dont we honor God most by treating everyone with respect and dignity?

Yes. Please treat me this way.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117496
08/11/09 03:21 PM
08/11/09 03:21 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
T: For the sake of argument, let's assume that the people caused God to remove His protection. What do you see to be God's responsibility in this case?
R: Tom, using the example I gave in a previous discussion, if a person who wants to jump from a building asks you to remove the protection net you put there, and you do remove it, are you exempt from any responsibility for the death of the person?
T: Do you see that God was responsible for the destruction of Jerusalem?

This is completely different from the plagues. In the case of the Jews, they placed themselves beyond God’s protection, and reaped the results of this. But we can’t say that the Egyptians were placing themselves alternatively in and out of a position under God’s protection (as the plagues came and went), or that the same will happen with the seven last plagues. So what is the explanation for the plagues?

Re: plagues [Re: Rosangela] #117499
08/11/09 04:34 PM
08/11/09 04:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, you wrote the following all together:

Quote:
T: For the sake of argument, let's assume that the people caused God to remove His protection. What do you see to be God's responsibility in this case?
R: Tom, using the example I gave in a previous discussion, if a person who wants to jump from a building asks you to remove the protection net you put there, and you do remove it, are you exempt from any responsibility for the death of the person?

The last thing I wrote doesn't belong here. That is, it should be:

Quote:

And then, from a different post:

Quote:

Putting them altogether is confusing, because it makes it should like we had a conversation we didn't have.

Anyway, I don't see that you answered my questions.

Regarding what you wrote:

Quote:
This is completely different from the plagues. In the case of the Jews, they placed themselves beyond God’s protection, and reaped the results of this. But we can’t say that the Egyptians were placing themselves alternatively in and out of a position under God’s protection (as the plagues came and went), or that the same will happen with the seven last plagues. So what is the explanation for the plagues?

This is rather confusing. It looks to be based on a false premise. The best I can make out is that you are thinking that according to my point of view the Egyptians must have been putting themselves in and out of God's protection, so my answer to your question is that I disagree with the premise upon which it is based.

Ellen White speaks somewhere (I think teresa quoted something in this thread) about God's selectively removing His protection. I can't remember how the quote goes, but basically God is responsible for protecting us from everything. If He removed His protection from everything, we'd all be utterly destroyed. So *anytime* God removes His protection, it has to be selectively.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #117500
08/11/09 04:54 PM
08/11/09 04:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
(Not sure)It was not a matter of "I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next." God was applying His judgments directly.

T:Again, where do you see this in the life of Jesus Christ in His humanity?

A:The cursed fig tree.

Actually not! There's only two incidents which can even mistakenly be applied to give this impression, and this is one of them (the other is the cleansing of the temple). Regarding this one, we note:

Quote:
The cursing of the fig tree was an acted parable. That barren tree, flaunting its pretentious foliage in the very face of Christ, was a symbol of the Jewish nation. The Saviour desired to make plain to His disciples the cause and the certainty of Israel's doom....In the barren tree they might read both their sin and its punishment. Withered beneath the Saviour's curse, standing forth sere and blasted, dried up by the roots, the fig tree showed what the Jewish people would be when the grace of God was removed from them. Refusing to impart blessing, they would no longer receive it. "O Israel," the Lord says, "thou hast destroyed thyself." Hosea 13:9. (DA 582, 583)

Notice she says "thou hast destroyed thyself." Regarding the destruction of Jerusalem, we have a great deal of information regarding the principles of judgment involved there, including the entire first chapter of "The Great Controversy." Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ... (GC 35)

So we see that the fig tree is actually an acted parable of the principle we've been speaking of, that destruction comes when His protection is caused to be removed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #117503
08/11/09 05:07 PM
08/11/09 05:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:The Bible and the SOP are both exceedingly clear that Jesus Christ was a full and complete revelation of God.

A:Been out of it for a while, but I saw this.

Tom, I remember touching on this some weeks ago, but don't remember resolving it. Are you saying that if we read only Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, and ignored the rest of the Bible, we would still know as much about God as if we had studied the entire Bible?

That's not exactly what she said. She said that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son. So this doesn't mean that we can't learn things from the other parts of Scripture besides the Gospels, but that anything we learn, if it's true, should be present in the life and character of Christ.

You might perceive something in one place of Scripture that you don't perceive in another. If it's about God, and it's really true, you should be able to see it the life and character of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
IOW, is there no information in the other 62 books that is not included in the 4 Gospels?

Obviously there is information in the other books. What EGW said is that all we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son.

Quote:
I remember listening to a Chuck Swindoll sermon where he mentioned having a big problem and determined to read the New Testament until he found the solution God had for him. I thought his focus was too narrow, since he was leaving out the OT. Would you say his focus was too broad, since everything can be found in the Gospels?

The SOP tells us that all that can be know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son. The primary purpose of Scripture is to lead us to Christ. The OT prophesied of Christ, and pointed to Him in a number of ways. The Gospels speak to us of Him in a particular way, but He is spoken of throughout Scripture. So the principle is not that we can't learn of Christ in other books besides the Gospels, but that anything we learn of God we should be able to find in Him (i.e., in His life and character).

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117504
08/11/09 05:13 PM
08/11/09 05:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, I don't see the similarities between God turning dust into lice and God permitting the snakes in the area to bite the COI. Are you suggesting God did something like turn sticks into snakes? Or, are you saying God permitted the lice in the area to bite the Egyptians? If so, what is the difference between God creating lice out of dust and then permitting them to bite the people?

t: for me, mm, the difference is whether God is showing how He has been protecting everyone, good and evil, all along, or whether Hes like us and getting vengence, or punitive. would that make sense?

by the way, i can go either way. either the eggs were there all along and God had been controlling the lice population or that He created them. until i wrote this, i could. smile now it seems to me He was showing how He had been protecting them.

Are you saying it's possible Jesus turned the dust into lice? If so, in what sense was He protecting the Egyptians?

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117505
08/11/09 05:14 PM
08/11/09 05:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: This is completely different from the plagues. In the case of the Jews, they placed themselves beyond God’s protection, and reaped the results of this. But we can’t say that the Egyptians were placing themselves alternatively in and out of a position under God’s protection (as the plagues came and went), or that the same will happen with the seven last plagues. So what is the explanation for the plagues?
T: This is rather confusing. It looks to be based on a false premise. The best I can make out is that you are thinking that according to my point of view the Egyptians must have been putting themselves in and out of God's protection, so my answer to your question is that I disagree with the premise upon which it is based.

Ellen White speaks somewhere (I think teresa quoted something in this thread) about God's selectively removing His protection. I can't remember how the quote goes, but basically God is responsible for protecting us from everything. If He removed His protection from everything, we'd all be utterly destroyed. So *anytime* God removes His protection, it has to be selectively.

I see nothing confusing in what I asked. A plague would come, then after a few days everything would return to normal. What was happening, after all? Did/Does God remove His protection, restoring it after a time? How do you see it?
(I think the quote you refer to is the one which says that the plagues won't be universal, or the inhabitants of the earth would be wholly cut off.)

Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117506
08/11/09 05:18 PM
08/11/09 05:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: GC
God's actions cannot be explained away under the guise of "natural phenomena," nor can they be said to be merely God having withdrawn His protection and passively allowing the events described to take place.

Amen!

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117507
08/11/09 05:27 PM
08/11/09 05:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:By putting that question to me, you have done what you criticize me of. However, I am blameless.

I don't think so. I don't think you're acting maliciously, intentionally misrepresenting my ideas, but I don't see how you could hold yourself to be "blameless" and write something like this:

Quote:
I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next.

Where have I written anything like this?

There are other examples as well. To be "blameless" one should be presenting the ideas of another in a way that *that person* would agree that the presentation is accurate.

Tom

Page 70 of 91 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!