HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 71 of 91 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117508
08/11/09 05:49 PM
08/11/09 05:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
According to the following SOP passages, the "destroying angel" and the "angel of the LORD" is a holy angel, not an evil angel:

Had Pharaoh accepted the evidence of God's power given in the first plague, he would have been spared all the judgments that followed. But his determined stubbornness called for still greater manifestations of the power of God, and plague followed plague, until at last he was called to look upon the dead face of his own first born, and those of his kindred; while the children of Israel, whom he had regarded as slaves, were unharmed by the plagues, untouched by the destroying angel. God made it evident upon whom rested His favor, who were His people. {CC 89.4}

Moses delivered his message; but the proud king's answer was, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey His voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go." Ex. 5:2. The Lord worked for His people by signs and wonders, sending terrible judgments upon Pharaoh. At length the destroying angel was bidden to slay the first-born of man and beast among the Egyptians. {DA 51.3}

The storm came as predicted--thunder and hail, and fire mingled with it, "very grievous, such as there was none like it in all the land of Egypt since it became a nation. And the hail smote throughout all the land of Egypt all that was in the field, both man and beast; and the hail smote every herb of the field, and brake every tree of the field." Ruin and desolation marked the path of the destroying angel. The land of Goshen alone was spared. It was demonstrated to the Egyptians that the earth is under the control of the living God, that the elements obey His voice, and that the only safety is in obedience to Him. {PP 269.3}

What is the seal of the living God, which is placed in the foreheads of His people? It is a mark which angels, but not human eyes, can read; for the destroying angel must see this mark of redemption (Letter 126, 1898). {4BC 1161.4} The angel with the writer's ink horn is to place a mark upon the foreheads of all who are separated from sin and sinners, and the destroying angel follows this angel (Letter 12, 1886). {4BC 1161.5}

There the flames of the sacrifice ascending to heaven from the threshing floor of Ornan had turned aside the sword of the destroying angel (1 Chronicles 21)-- fitting symbol of the Saviour's sacrifice and mediation for guilty men. {GC 18.2}

1 Chronicles
21:11 So Gad came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Choose thee
21:12 Either three years' famine; or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh [thee]; or else three days the sword of the LORD, even the pestilence, in the land, and the angel of the LORD destroying throughout all the coasts of Israel. Now therefore advise thyself what word I shall bring again to him that sent me.
21:13 And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let me fall now into the hand of the LORD; for very great [are] his mercies: but let me not fall into the hand of man.
21:14 So the LORD sent pestilence upon Israel: and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men.
21:15 And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.
21:16 And David lifted up his eyes, and saw the angel of the LORD stand between the earth and the heaven, having a drawn sword in his hand stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders [of Israel, who were] clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces.
21:17 And David said unto God, [Is it] not I [that] commanded the people to be numbered? even I it is that have sinned and done evil indeed; but [as for] these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, O LORD my God, be on me, and on my father's house; but not on thy people, that they should be plagued.
21:18 Then the angel of the LORD commanded Gad to say to David, that David should go up, and set up an altar unto the LORD in the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117519
08/11/09 09:13 PM
08/11/09 09:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Let us turn our attention away from unimportant things, and give ourselves to God. We scarcely dream of the destroying angels that already are permitted to bring disaster and destruction in their path. (MR21 437)

It's your opinion that these are holy angels?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117528
08/11/09 11:46 PM
08/11/09 11:46 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
GC:By putting that question to me, you have done what you criticize me of. However, I am blameless.

I don't think so. I don't think you're acting maliciously, intentionally misrepresenting my ideas, but I don't see how you could hold yourself to be "blameless" and write something like this:

Quote:
I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next.

Where have I written anything like this?

There are other examples as well. To be "blameless" one should be presenting the ideas of another in a way that *that person* would agree that the presentation is accurate.

Tom

Tom,

What you demand for someone to be blameless is that they can mind-read. How would I truly know if you "would agree that the presentation is accurate?" Especially you, Tom, have a tendency to be upset with the way others here interpret your views.

However, since you take issue with what I posted, and feel it is not your view, I would be very happy to hear the reasons why it is not your view. How is your view materially different from what I presented?

Is that not what you believe? That God withdraws His protection in order for evil to befall the sinner(s), such as the plagues, the serpents, etc.?

Surely you would not believe that God withdraws His protection in order that a specific evil will come. Or perhaps you believe that God actually tells Satan which evil to bring? This is why I said "and see what happens next."

Either God withdraws His protection to allow some non-God-determined evil to come, or God withdraws His protection to allow a God-ordained evil to come. Do you see what I am getting at here? The way I phrased my earlier statement, I was putting your belief into the best light I could. Now, if you disagree with the way I put it, please do not just say I was not "blameless" but tell me where the blame should be. With what part of what I wrote do you disagree?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117532
08/12/09 01:29 AM
08/12/09 01:29 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
She said that all that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son. So this doesn't mean that we can't learn things from the other parts of Scripture besides the Gospels, but that anything we learn, if it's true, should be present in the life and character of Christ.
anything we learn of God we should be able to find in Him (i.e., in His life and character).

I'm not saying that you said there's nothing to learn outside of the Gospels. What I was trying to confirm is that you believe there is nothing outside of the Gospels regarding what "man can know of God" that is not in the Gospels. Isn't that what you believe? IOW, we can get everything we need to know or can know about God just by reading the Gospels. Right?

As a corollary, if some piece of information supposedly about God is found outside of the Gospels, but it is not included in the Gospels, it must be wrong. IOW, if it isn't in the Gospels, it isn't right. Do you agree?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117533
08/12/09 01:37 AM
08/12/09 01:37 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Is that not what you believe? That God withdraws His protection in order for evil to befall the sinner(s), such as the plagues, the serpents, etc.?

Surely you would not believe that God withdraws His protection in order that a specific evil will come. Or perhaps you believe that God actually tells Satan which evil to bring? This is why I said "and see what happens next."

That's how I see it as well. If I understand Tom correctly, it is one of two options:

1) God withdraws His protection and watches to see what happens next.
2) God withdraws His protection and orchestrates what happens next.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: plagues [Re: asygo] #117534
08/12/09 02:36 AM
08/12/09 02:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What you demand for someone to be blameless is that they can mind-read.

GC, why the personal attack here? I didn't bring this up, Teresa did! I didn't "demand" anything!

I'm not asking to be mind-read, but accurately quoted, if not correctly represented. As I asked previously, where did I say something like "I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next."? Can you quote something please?

I've quoted the following:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ...(GC 35)

and pointed out that I believe this principle applies to other cases as well. Do you think it would be proper to characterize the view presented here as, "I will withdraw my protection, and see what happens next."?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117535
08/12/09 02:43 AM
08/12/09 02:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:I'm not saying that you said there's nothing to learn outside of the Gospels. What I was trying to confirm is that you believe there is nothing outside of the Gospels regarding what "man can know of God" that is not in the Gospels. Isn't that what you believe? IOW, we can get everything we need to know or can know about God just by reading the Gospels. Right?

As a corollary, if some piece of information supposedly about God is found outside of the Gospels, but it is not included in the Gospels, it must be wrong. IOW, if it isn't in the Gospels, it isn't right. Do you agree?

I'm not aware that I've said anything specifically about the Gospels. Have I? What I recall saying is that all we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ, in His humanity.

The "Desire of Ages" is outside the Gospels. There's certainly things we can learn about Christ from that. I'm sure from other books as well.

Speaking of Scripture, the Psalms comes immediately to mind. There are certainly things to learn about Jesus Christ in His humanity from that. The same thing is true about the epistles.

Where did this Gospel idea come from? I'm a bit perplexed by this, as I don't recall saying anything about the Gospels. If I did, please point it out, and I'll see if I misspoke.

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117536
08/12/09 02:45 AM
08/12/09 02:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:That's how I see it as well. If I understand Tom correctly, it is one of two options:

Which of these do you think applies to GC 35? (quoted above for GC)

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117537
08/12/09 03:07 AM
08/12/09 03:07 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I'm not aware that I've said anything specifically about the Gospels. Have I? What I recall saying is that all we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ, in His humanity.

The "Desire of Ages" is outside the Gospels. There's certainly things we can learn about Christ from that. I'm sure from other books as well.

Speaking of Scripture, the Psalms comes immediately to mind. There are certainly things to learn about Jesus Christ in His humanity from that. The same thing is true about the epistles.

Where did this Gospel idea come from? I'm a bit perplexed by this, as I don't recall saying anything about the Gospels. If I did, please point it out, and I'll see if I misspoke.

No, you haven't said anything specifically about the "Gospels." You have repeated many times that "all we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ, in His humanity" which I took to mean the Biblical record of His actual sojourn in humanity.

But I see that you also take sources outside of the historical record of Christ's life as authoritative regarding Christ's life. For example, you take Desire of Ages. So, if we find something revealed in Christ's life in DA, but is not found in the Gospels, you would still accept that as true?

So also, if we find something in Psalms or the epistles that tells us something about Christ, but it is not in the Gospels, you would still accept that as true?

Quote:
There are certainly things to learn about Jesus Christ in His humanity from that.

I noticed you said "Christ in His humanity" here. Of the 7 times I found the "can know of God" statement in the SOP, 6 times it said, "revealed in the life and character of His Son." 6 out of 7 times it included Christ's character, not just His life, and specifically His life on earth.

The other time, when "character" was not used, it's a little different. It goes like this:
Quote:
All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher. {6BC 1079.9}

So, of the 7 times I found this in the SOP, it is never limited to the life of Jesus. 6 times it included His character, and 1 time in included His Word.

Now, Exodus is part of His Word, yes? Also, the God of Exodus is Jesus, yes? In fact, the well-known text where Moses asked God to show him His glory, and God revealed to him His character, that was Jesus, yes?

If we find something in Exodus that tells us something about Christ, but it is not in the Gospels, would you still accept that as true?

Let me quickly summarize what I've been getting from you on this topic: You form your view of what God is like based on Christ's life and character (which I just now found out also includes DA, Psalms, and the epistles), and reject everything that does not fit that mold.

That's fine with me, except that you put huge chunks of Exodus into the "reject" pile instead of the "authoritative" pile with DA, Psalms, and the epistles. I believe that Exodus, just like DA, Psalms, and the epistles, can teach us a few things about Christ's character; even some things not in the Gospels.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: plagues [Re: Tom] #117538
08/12/09 03:20 AM
08/12/09 03:20 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
A:That's how I see it as well. If I understand Tom correctly, it is one of two options:

Which of these do you think applies to GC 35? (quoted above for GC)

Here's the quote for easy reference:
Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ...(GC 35)

It doesn't seem conclusive. But it's hard to be comprehensive in a handful of sentences. It seems to be this: God withdraws His protection and something bad happens next. The quote is not definitive whether God just watched it happen, or He orchestrated the events for His purposes.

But if I had to choose, I'd go with #1. I'm guessing you would, too.

But if I had more information that pointed to #2, I could go for that. I'm guessing you would not.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 71 of 91 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!