HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117742
08/18/09 06:29 PM
08/18/09 06:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings.

Are you saying you disagree with this?

T: What I said was that according to the SOP, Jesus lived what He taught. Therefore Christ's life was sufficient to reveal God. If you intend to say Jesus Christ revealed God in "two different ways" so that it wouldn't be true that what Christ taught, He lived, then I disagree.

M: If you’re saying you believe Jesus lived out in actions while here in the flesh everything He lived out in actions in OT, then, yes, we disagree. In the OT Jesus employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction to happen in consequence of sinners filling up their cup of woe and wrath. He also commanded Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death. Jesus never once acted out these things while here in the flesh. Yes, He taught them, but He never acted them out.

What I'm saying is:
1.All that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ, in His humanity.
2.What Jesus Christ taught, He lived.
3.Therefore, Christ's life was a full and complete revelation of God.

Do you agree with this? If not, which point or points do you disagree with, and why.

“If you’re saying you believe Jesus lived out in actions, while here in the flesh, everything He lived out in actions in OT then, yes, we disagree.” The word “revealed” in 8T 286 does not imply Jesus acted out everything He taught. A simple example should suffice - the second coming and destruction of the wicked.

Quote:
M: How about saying one more thing that actually states your position plainly. Your unwillingness to state your position plainly suggests you are embarrassed or ashamed of it.

T: Or tired, MM. I could just be tired of being asked the same questions over and over and over again, and given the same answers, and then asked again, and so forth.

True, it is tiring asking the same question over and over again and being told over and over again – “I’ve already plainly stated my position in the humane hunter story.” The truth is, however, implying that Jesus risked being misunderstood each time He commanded the COI to stone sinners to death doesn’t answer the question. It merely assumes something that may or may not be true. By the way, the question is – How do you think Jesus commanded the COI to stone sinners to death? Did He command them to do something that was sinful? In other words, was it a sin to obey Jesus and stone sinners to death?

Ellen White wrote:

Those who performed this terrible work of judgment [slaughtering those who worshipped the golden calf] were acting by divine authority, executing the sentence of the King of heaven. Men are to beware how they, in their human blindness, judge and condemn their fellow men; but when God commands them to execute His sentence upon iniquity, He is to be obeyed. Those who performed this painful act, thus manifested their abhorrence of rebellion and idolatry, and consecrated themselves more fully to the service of the true God. The Lord honored their faithfulness by bestowing special distinction upon the tribe of Levi. {PP 324.2}

Quote:
M: Why do you think the plagues consisted of force and violence?

T: People were harmed and killed violently.

M: And, who or what do you think was responsible for it playing out the way it did?

T: I think the Egyptians were primarily responsible for it playing out the way they did, by causing God to remove His protection. Also Satan was responsible, as the author of sin.

Are you suggesting sinners suffered and died forcefully and violently because Jesus withdrew His protection? If so, why did He do it? What was He trying to accomplish? And, did He accomplish it?

Quote:
M: 3 out of the 5 methods are based on your views. Here are the 5 methods Jesus employs to cause, command, or permit death and destruction to happen:

1. Jesus causes it
2. Jesus commands holy angels to do it
3. Jesus permits the forces of nature to do it
4. Jesus permits evil angels to do it
5. Jesus permits evil men to do it

Are you suggesting 3, 4, and 5 consist of force and violence? If so, why do you think Jesus would permit them to employ force and violence?

T: You're making a list here, and then making claims about my view in regards to your list, and then asking me questions about that, as if all you wrote were true. Wouldn't it be better for me to make my own list, and then you ask me about that?

Awhile ago you said you agree with the list except for number one.

Quote:
T: Here's my list:

1. People cause God's protection to be withdrawn.

As to why God would permit force and violence, this is the result of sin. In order to do away with force and violence, God would have to do away with sin. God is hard at work to accomplish this very thing, and has been since sin originated.

You seem to be implying force and violence does not happen until Jesus withdraws His protection. If so, then it sounds rather arbitrary to me. That is, the relationship between sinning and force and violence is arbitrary. For example, the Egyptian infants and babies died a forceful and violent death because Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted an evil angel to kill them. Why? Why do you think Jesus gave an evil angel permission to kill infants and babies? What was He trying to accomplish? And, did He accomplish it?

Quote:
M: Jesus is in essence saying, “If you rely on Me to empower you to love and obey me, if you imitate My godly example, you will experience peace and happiness. However, if you despise Me and reject the salvation I wrought out for you at great cost to Myself, then I will satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice and resurrect you, judge you, punish you, and then allow you to die eternally in the lake of fire. So please, please do the right thing and let Me empower you to love and obey Me. I really don’t want you to suffer and die in the lake of fire.”

T: Which is essentially, "Do what I tell you, or I'll cause you to suffer, and then kill you," isn't it? If not, why not?

You really don’t see a difference? Do you do the same thing with the following kinds of promises: “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” “He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.” That is, do you make them mean – Believe in Jesus or the Father will kill you!!!

Quote:
T: Regarding this: “I really don’t want you to suffer and die in the lake of fire.” If Jesus is the one who causes this to happen, then you're essentially saying that Jesus says, "I don't want to cause you to suffer, and I don't want to throw fire upon you from above and below, but I have to because the law says so."

This has a couple of problems. First of all, the law is a transcript of His character, so He can't say on the one hand He's doing something He doesn't want to do, and on the other hand say the law says He has to do it (although He doesn't want to) because the law's being a transcript of His character means, by definition, that it specifies the things He wants to do. Secondly, if He didn't want to do it, He could just not do it. The law is not greater than Christ.

It is perfectly reasonable and righteous for Jesus to warn sinners to repent and obey Him because otherwise He will have to punish and destroy them. But this isn’t what He will say on judgment day. By then it’s too late warn and plead with sinners. They are neither innocent nor ignorant. They have willfully despised and rejected Him. They deserve to suffer and die. They are worthy. Jesus will not hesitate or apologize for inflicting punishment. Here’s what is says in the SOP about “inflicting” punishment:

Quote:
“The statutes and judgments given of God were good for the obedient. "They should live in them." But they were not good for the transgressor, for in the civil law given to Moses punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear. {3SG 301.1}

“Appeal and warning were ineffectual, and another judgment was inflicted. {PP 266.3} The “divine precepts are sacred and immutable, and . . . the penalty of transgression will surely be inflicted. {PP 80.3} “Love no less than justice demanded that for this sin judgment should be inflicted. {PP 325.2} “Remembering the plagues that were inflicted upon Egypt by the God of Israel, the people attributed their afflictions to the presence of the ark among them. {PP 586.2}

“In the retribution inflicted upon the ungrateful husbandmen was portrayed the doom of those who should put Christ to death. {DA 596.3} “The power that inflicted retributive justice upon man's substitute and surety, was the power that sustained and upheld the suffering One under the tremendous weight of wrath that would have fallen upon a sinful world. Christ was suffering the death that was pronounced upon the transgressors of God's law. {5BC 1103.2}

“The punishment inflicted on human beings will in every case be proportionate to the dishonor they have brought on God. {LDE 217.3} “Men are not to be left in darkness concerning this important matter [the third angel’s message]; the warning against this sin is to be given to the world before the visitation of God's judgments, that all may know why they are to be inflicted, and have opportunity to escape them. {GC 449.2}

“His signal, visible displeasure may not be manifested as in the case of Ananias and Sapphira, yet in the end the punishment will in no case be lighter than that which was inflicted upon them. In trying to deceive men, they were lying to God. "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." {1T 529.2}

The principles of justice required a faithful narration of facts for the benefit of all who should ever read the Sacred Record. Here we discern the evidences of divine wisdom. We are required to obey the law of God, and are not only instructed as to the penalty of disobedience, but we have narrated for our benefit and warning the history of Adam and Eve in Paradise, and the sad results of their disobedience of God's commands. The account is full and explicit. The law given to man in Eden is recorded, together with the penalty accruing in case of its disobedience. Then follows the story of the temptation and fall, and the punishment inflicted upon our erring parents. Their example is given us as a warning against disobedience, that we may be sure that the wages of sin is death, that God's retributive justice never fails, and that He exacts from His creatures a strict regard for His commandments. When the law was proclaimed at Sinai, how definite was the penalty annexed, how sure was punishment to follow the transgression of that law, and how plain are the cases recorded in evidence of that fact! {4T 11.3}

Tom, I realize I posted several passages which affirm the truth, and I also realize you are not fond of reading so many testimonies. However, please take the time to read them. Thank you.

Quote:
T: Of course sinners are not in control of the forces of nature, so they could hardly permit or cause this to happen. Why make this point?

M: You keep insisting Jesus doesn’t do anything, that sinners cause it to happen.

T: I agree that sinners cause God's protection to be withdrawn (GC 35), but where have I ever said that "Jesus doesn't do anything"?

You insist sinners cause Jesus to withdraw His protection, and that Jesus doesn’t do anything to cause death and destruction.

Quote:
M: Another point to consider. The forces of nature are subject to God. They can do nothing without Him, not even cause death and destruction. If God let go, the laws of nature would simply stand still and do nothing. In order for them to cause death and destruction, God must employ them accordingly.

T: If God let go, nature wouldn't "simply stand still and do nothing." Nature needs the active hand of God to exist. Were God to "let go," nature would cease to exist. You say that for nature to cause death and destruction, God must employ it accordingly. Is this what you really meant to say? Let me just ask, do you think every time someone dies as the result of a natural disaster, this is because God employed nature to do such?

M: Nature would not cease to exist. Water and matter wouldn’t vanish if Jesus stopped managing the forces of nature. Jesus is actively involved in causing the forces of nature to act and behave the way they do. For example, rain rises and falls as Jesus sees fit. Warm and cold fronts trade places as Jesus sees fit. Heat and air combine and cause wind as Jesus sees fit. Etc, etc, etc. Nothing is left to chance or natural law.

T: This is pure Augustine. We don't believe this as SDA's.

Sure we do. Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
There is much talk about God in nature, as if the Lord were bound by the laws of nature to be nature's servant. Many theories would lead minds to suppose that nature is a self-sustaining agency apart from the Deity, having its own inherent power with which to work. In this men do not know what they are talking about. Do they suppose that nature has a self-existing power without the continual agency of Jehovah? The Lord does not work through His laws to supersede the laws of nature. He does His work through the laws and properties of His instruments, and nature obeys a "Thus saith the Lord." {6T 186.1}

It is not by inherent power that year by year the earth yields its bounties and continues its march around the sun. The hand of the Infinite One is perpetually at work guiding this planet. It is God's power continually exercised that keeps the earth in position in its rotation. It is God who causes the sun to rise in the heavens. He opens the windows of heaven and gives rain. It is by His power that vegetation is caused to flourish, that every leaf appears, every flower blooms, every fruit develops. {MH 416.3}

The world before the Flood reasoned that for centuries the laws of nature had been fixed. The recurring seasons had come in their order. Heretofore rain had never fallen; the earth had been watered by a mist or dew. The rivers had never yet passed their boundaries, but had borne their waters safely to the sea. Fixed decrees had kept the waters from overflowing their banks. But these reasoners did not recognize the hand of Him who had stayed the waters, saying, "Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further." Job 38:11. {PP 96.3}

In Noah's day philosophers declared that it was impossible for the world to be destroyed by water; so now there are men of science who endeavor to show that the world cannot be destroyed by fire--that this would be inconsistent with the laws of nature. But the God of nature, the Maker and Controller of her laws, can use the works of His hands to serve His own purpose. . . With all their boasted philosophy, men found too late that their wisdom was foolishness, that the Lawgiver is greater than the laws of nature, and that Omnipotence is at no loss for means to accomplish His purposes. {PP 103}

The depths of the earth are the Lord's arsenal, whence were drawn weapons to be employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters gushing from the earth united with the waters from heaven to accomplish the work of desolation. Since the Flood, fire as well as water has been God's agent to destroy very wicked cities. {PP 109.1}

The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters in the bowels of the earth gushed forth, and united with the waters from Heaven, to accomplish the work of destruction. Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {3SG 82.2}

As he called forth the waters in the earth at the time of the flood, as weapons from his arsenal to accomplish the destruction of the antediluvian race, so at the end of the one thousand years he will call forth the fires in the earth as his weapons which he has reserved for the final destruction, not only of successive generations since the flood, but the antediluvian race who perished by the flood. {3SG 87.1}

At His own will God summons the forces of nature to overthrow the might of His enemies--"fire, and hail; snow, and vapours; stormy wind fulfilling his word." Psalm 148:8. {Mar 297.1}

Quote:
M: In the same way, Jesus manages the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

T: Unfortunately, many SDA's do believe this. But not the previous paragraph. That's Calvinism, and we come from an Arminianist (Weslyan) tradition. You're mixing different theological systems in a hat that don't belong. The weather does not act the way it does because Jesus Christ micromanages every molecule.

As you can see from the quotes posted above that Jesus does indeed micromanage the forces of nature. “His hand has molded the mountains and balances them in their position, that they shall not be moved except at His command. The wind, the sun, the rain, the snow, and the ice, are all His ministers to do His will. {3BC 1144.10}

Quote:
M: True, there are times when He permits evil angels to manage the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

T: They manipulate it, not manage it.

Would you say evil angels control the elements of nature as far as Jesus allows? Also, do you think Jesus and Satan use the same powers to control the elements of nature? If not, in what way do you think they differ? Consider the following insights:

The time is at hand when there will be sorrow in the world that no human balm can heal. The Spirit of God is being withdrawn. Disasters by sea and by land follow one another in quick succession. How frequently we hear of earthquakes and tornadoes, of destruction by fire and flood, with great loss of life and property! Apparently these calamities are capricious outbreaks of disorganized, unregulated forces of nature, wholly beyond the control of man; but in them all, God's purpose may be read. They are among the agencies by which He seeks to arouse men and women to a sense of their danger. {CC 231.3}

Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. . . While appearing to the children of men as a great physician who can heal all their maladies, he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. {GC 589}

Quote:
M: But whether Jesus causes it to happen or permits evil angels to cause it to happen, the result is the same, namely, sinners suffer and die according to the limits established by God Himself.

T: If someone is doing something with a gun, like cleaning it, and it accidentally goes off and kills someone, or if the person purposely shoots and kills someone, the results are the same, but these are very different acts, right?

Yes, the acts are very different. But what do you want me to conclude based on this example? Are you implying Jesus accidentally causes or permits death and destruction?

Quote:
T: Regarding the conscience and the wicked, none of the quotes have to do with the judgment. Take a look at what she says about the judgment and conscience. That's where you'd need to find something that says that some sinners won't feel guilt.

Also, you didn't deal with the point being made, which was this: “We should not try to lessen our guilt by excusing sin. We must accept God's estimate of sin, and that is heavy indeed. Calvary alone can reveal the terrible enormity of sin. If we had to bear our own guilt, it would crush us.(MB 116)

Do you think some are excluded here? That is, there are some who could bear their own guilt?

Nowhere in judgment does it say sinners experience the kind of guilt and shame that leads to repentance and obedience. Also, immediately after judgment ends, the wicked turn upon one another in fits of rage and anger. This doesn’t reflect the kind of behavior one would expect from sinners who are supposedly experiencing what Jesus experienced from Gethsemane to Golgotha. How do you account for the radical difference?

Satan with his fierce temptations wrung the heart of Jesus. The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father's wrath upon Him as man's substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God. {DA 753.2}

And on "whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder." The people who rejected Christ were soon to see their city and their nation destroyed. Their glory would be broken, and scattered as the dust before the wind. And what was it that destroyed the Jews? It was the rock which, had they built upon it, would have been their security. It was the goodness of God despised, the righteousness spurned, the mercy slighted. Men set themselves in opposition to God, and all that would have been their salvation was turned to their destruction. All that God ordained unto life they found to be unto death. In the Jews' crucifixion of Christ was involved the destruction of Jerusalem. The blood shed upon Calvary was the weight that sank them to ruin for this world and for the world to come. So it will be in the great final day, when judgment shall fall upon the rejecters of God's grace. Christ, their rock of offense, will then appear to them as an avenging mountain. The glory of His countenance, which to the righteous is life, will be to the wicked a consuming fire. Because of love rejected, grace despised, the sinner will be destroyed. {DA 600.2}

Quote:
M: What is so kind about exposing them to His unveiled brightness and glory?

T: This is your idea, not mine.

Are you suggesting God will not appear in their presence in His unveiled brightness and glory? Or, are you suggesting that His unveiled brightness and glory will not cause them to suffer intense physical pain similar to what people suffered in the presence of the glory and brightness radiating from Moses’ face (which is not the same kind of physical pain caused by emotional anguish)?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117745
08/18/09 11:07 PM
08/18/09 11:07 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
By the way, the question is – How do you think Jesus commanded the COI to stone sinners to death? Did He command them to do something that was sinful? In other words, was it a sin to obey Jesus and stone sinners to death?

this is one way to look at it. is it possible there is another way to look at it? or are the statements presented as questions the only way to look at it?

Quote:
Those who performed this terrible work of judgment were acting by divine authority, executing the sentence of the King of heaven. Men are to beware how they, in their human blindness, judge and condemn their fellow men; but when God commands them to execute His sentence upon iniquity, He is to be obeyed. Those who performed this painful act, thus manifested their abhorrence of rebellion and idolatry, and consecrated themselves more fully to the service of the true God. The Lord honored their faithfulness by bestowing special distinction upon the tribe of Levi. {PP 324.2}
i wonder if the fact that sometimes God Himself took action, while other times He "ordered" execution have anything to study into.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117756
08/19/09 12:48 PM
08/19/09 12:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:What I'm saying is:
1.All that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ, in His humanity.
2.What Jesus Christ taught, He lived.
3.Therefore, Christ's life was a full and complete revelation of God.

Do you agree with this? If not, which point or points do you disagree with, and why.

M:If you’re saying you believe Jesus lived out in actions, while here in the flesh, everything He lived out in actions in OT then, yes, we disagree. The word “revealed” in 8T 286 does not imply Jesus acted out everything He taught.

I didn't say "act out" but "lived." What Jesus Christ taught, He lived, is what I said. (Item 2).

Do you disagree with item 2?

Quote:
T: I think the Egyptians were primarily responsible for it playing out the way they did, by causing God to remove His protection. Also Satan was responsible, as the author of sin.

M:Are you suggesting sinners suffered and died forcefully and violently because Jesus withdrew His protection? If so, why did He do it? What was He trying to accomplish? And, did He accomplish it?

This is from "The Great Controversy"

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ... (GC 35)

The Egyptians caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, by stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy. You're question as to what God was trying to accomplish is assuming that God was trying to accomplish something, which seems to me to be in opposition to the idea that the people were causing something to happen.

Quote:

T: Here's my list:

1. People cause God's protection to be withdrawn.

As to why God would permit force and violence, this is the result of sin. In order to do away with force and violence, God would have to do away with sin. God is hard at work to accomplish this very thing, and has been since sin originated.

M:You seem to be implying force and violence does not happen until Jesus withdraws His protection.

Until He is caused to withdraw His protection, this should say.

Quote:
If so, then it sounds rather arbitrary to me.

It would be arbitrary if it wasn't something He was caused to do, as in the view you suggest.

Quote:
M:That is, the relationship between sinning and force and violence is arbitrary. For example, the Egyptian infants and babies died a forceful and violent death because Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted an evil angel to kill them. Why? Why do you think Jesus gave an evil angel permission to kill infants and babies? What was He trying to accomplish? And, did He accomplish it?

You seem to be ignoring the point that God was caused to remove His protection.

Quote:
By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them ...(GC 35)

Quote:
M: Jesus is in essence saying, “If you rely on Me to empower you to love and obey me, if you imitate My godly example, you will experience peace and happiness. However, if you despise Me and reject the salvation I wrought out for you at great cost to Myself, then I will satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice and resurrect you, judge you, punish you, and then allow you to die eternally in the lake of fire. So please, please do the right thing and let Me empower you to love and obey Me. I really don’t want you to suffer and die in the lake of fire.”

T: Which is essentially, "Do what I tell you, or I'll cause you to suffer, and then kill you," isn't it? If not, why not?

M:You really don’t see a difference?

I invited you to point out any difference, and you didn't. If you see a difference, what is it?

To be clear here, what you believe is that God warns us to do what He says, or, if we don't, then He will cause us to suffer and die by bringing fire upon us from above and below. I think I'm quoting you accurately here. Now if this is the case, He is telling us, "Do what I say, or I will kill you (after causing you to suffer)," right?

Quote:
M:Do you do the same thing with the following kinds of promises: “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” “He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.” That is, do you make them mean – Believe in Jesus or the Father will kill you!!!

*I* don't believe God will kill those who choose not to believe in Him, which you know, so, of course, I don't make these words say this, as how would I make words say something I don't believe? What you're asking here really doesn't make sense.

You, otoh, actually do believe that God will kill those who don't do what He says, and you interpret these words to mean this, and so do the very thing you're asking me about!

Quote:
M:It is perfectly reasonable and righteous for Jesus to warn sinners to repent and obey Him because otherwise He will have to punish and destroy them.

Then it's perfectly reasonable and righteous for Jesus to say, "Obey Me, or I'll kill cause you to suffer, and then kill you!" because what you are suggesting is essentially this.

Quote:
MM:Tom, I realize I posted several passages which affirm the truth, and I also realize you are not fond of reading so many testimonies. However, please take the time to read them. Thank you.

I read them, but don't seem much point in posting a lot of passages like that without any comment. Here's a passage to consider:

Quote:
The sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin is the great truth around which all other truths cluster. In order to be rightly understood and appreciated, every truth in the word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, must be studied in the light that streams from the cross of Calvary.(GC 315)

I'm quoted this a number of times, and pointed out that I don't seen an tie-in between the principles you suggest and the cross. I notice you don't point out any connection in your comments, or even mention the atonement at all.

But, according to the SOP, to understand truth, the connection to the cross must be understood. This is why I've suggested starting out by a study of the cross. Ask questions like:

a.How did Christ respond to His enemies?
b.How do we see the principles of force and violence applied?
c.How did God act towards those who were treating His Son so terribly?

and so forth.

Quote:
M:For example, rain rises and falls as Jesus sees fit. Warm and cold fronts trade places as Jesus sees fit. Heat and air combine and cause wind as Jesus sees fit. Etc, etc, etc. Nothing is left to chance or natural law.

T: This is pure Augustine. We don't believe this as SDA's.

M:Sure we do. Ellen White wrote:

There's a large difference between what she wrote and what you wrote. By the way, I first quoted these concepts to you(that you quoted from her), and it was for the purpose of pointing out that nature is not self-working, the point she makes. That is, nature needs God to manage it.

What has to do with Augustine is the idea that not one molecule is out of place, that everything that happens in nature is because God has explicitly willed it to be so. This is what I understood you to be saying.

Nature has been impacted by sin. God manages nature so the whole planet doesn't get wiped out, which is what would happen if He didn't. If we were all wiped out, we couldn't participate in the Great Controversy.

Because of sin, nature does not behave as initially designed. For example, there are now great waste areas where before there were none. This was not and is not a part of God's design, but something which happened because of sin.

Quote:
M: True, there are times when He permits evil angels to manage the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

T: They manipulate it, not manage it.

M:Would you say evil angels control the elements of nature as far as Jesus allows?

I would say they manipulate it.

Quote:
M:Also, do you think Jesus and Satan use the same powers to control the elements of nature? If not, in what way do you think they differ?

No. I think they differ in that God exercises a restraining hand, whereas Satan exercises a destructive hand.

Quote:
M: But whether Jesus causes it to happen or permits evil angels to cause it to happen, the result is the same, namely, sinners suffer and die according to the limits established by God Himself.

T: If someone is doing something with a gun, like cleaning it, and it accidentally goes off and kills someone, or if the person purposely shoots and kills someone, the results are the same, but these are very different acts, right?

M:Yes, the acts are very different. But what do you want me to conclude based on this example?

That causing something to happen is very different than permitting it to happen.

Quote:
Are you implying Jesus accidentally causes or permits death and destruction?

No. I was illustrating how acts can be very different, even though the result in the same thing. Does this make sense?

This is why, in our legal system, there is a difference between manslaughter, second degree murder, and first degree murder. The intent is very important in distinguishing between acts.

Quote:
T: Regarding the conscience and the wicked, none of the quotes have to do with the judgment. Take a look at what she says about the judgment and conscience. That's where you'd need to find something that says that some sinners won't feel guilt.

Also, you didn't deal with the point being made, which was this: “We should not try to lessen our guilt by excusing sin. We must accept God's estimate of sin, and that is heavy indeed. Calvary alone can reveal the terrible enormity of sin. If we had to bear our own guilt, it would crush us.(MB 116)

Do you think some are excluded here? That is, there are some who could bear their own guilt?

M:Nowhere in judgment does it say sinners experience the kind of guilt and shame that leads to repentance and obedience.

The statement doesn't say anything about being led to repentance and obedience, but about being crushed.

Quote:
M:Also, immediately after judgment ends, the wicked turn upon one another in fits of rage and anger. This doesn’t reflect the kind of behavior one would expect from sinners who are supposedly experiencing what Jesus experienced from Gethsemane to Golgotha. How do you account for the radical difference?

You're not dealing with the point.

1.If we had to bear our own guilt, it would crush us.
2.The wicked will have to bear their own guilt.
3.It will crush them.

From "The Desire of Ages":

Quote:
The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race.(DA 753)

I'm hoping the part in bold will help show the similarities in what Christ and the wicked experience.

That DA 600 quote is great. That's what I've been trying to say all this time in our discussions. "In the Jews' crucifixion of Christ was involved the destruction of Jerusalem." I've made this point many times.

Quote:
M: What is so kind about exposing them to His unveiled brightness and glory?

T: This is your idea, not mine.

M:Are you suggesting God will not appear in their presence in His unveiled brightness and glory? Or, are you suggesting that His unveiled brightness and glory will not cause them to suffer intense physical pain similar to what people suffered in the presence of the glory and brightness radiating from Moses’ face (which is not the same kind of physical pain caused by emotional anguish)?

I think what I was saying is that God acts kindly toward the wicked. God is love, and even treats His enemies with kindness. He loves them too. But the wicked have so warped their characters, that they cannot stand to be in His presence, which is to them a consuming fire.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117760
08/19/09 02:27 PM
08/19/09 02:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
M:That is, the relationship between sinning and force and violence is arbitrary. For example, the Egyptian infants and babies died a forceful and violent death because Jesus withdrew His protection and permitted an evil angel to kill them. Why? Why do you think Jesus gave an evil angel permission to kill infants and babies? What was He trying to accomplish? And, did He accomplish it?

T: You seem to be ignoring the point that God was caused to remove His protection.

Tom, sorry, but this does not make sense to me. Why was God caused to remove His protection only from the firstborn? Why was He caused to remove His protection from babies and children, for instance, but not from hardened adults like pharaoh and the magicians?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Rosangela] #117766
08/19/09 02:51 PM
08/19/09 02:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
R:Tom, sorry, but this does not make sense to me. Why was God caused to remove His protection only from the firstborn? Why was He caused to remove His protection from babies and children, for instance, but not from hardened adults like pharaoh and the magicians?

Why did God send angles to kill only the firstborn? Why did He cause babies and children to be killed, for instance, but not hardened adults like pharaoh and the magicians?

I'm asking you these questions because I don't see why your answers to these questions wouldn't apply as answers to the questions you asked me.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117778
08/19/09 03:25 PM
08/19/09 03:25 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Why did God send angles to kill only the firstborn? Why did He cause babies and children to be killed, for instance, but not hardened adults like pharaoh and the magicians?

I'm asking you these questions because I don't see why your answers to these questions wouldn't apply as answers to the questions you asked me.

That's an easy answer. God did it to save those too hardened to be awakened by any other means.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Many Egyptians Acknowledged God.--There was quite a large number of the Egyptians who were led to acknowledge, by manifestations of the signs and wonders shown in Egypt, that the God of the Hebrews was the only true God. They entreated to be permitted to come to the houses of the Israelites with their families, upon that fearful night when the angel of God should slay the firstborn of the Egyptians. They were convinced that their gods whom they had worshiped were without knowledge, and had no power to save or to destroy. And they pledged themselves to henceforth choose the God of Israel as their God. They decided to leave Egypt, and go with the children of Israel to worship their God. The Israelites welcomed the believing Egyptians to their houses (Ibid., 224, 225). {1BC 1101.5}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117782
08/19/09 03:49 PM
08/19/09 03:49 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
My answer is that this was a judgment from God and it was an arbitrary one (in the sense of "left to one's judgment and choice") - designed by Him to achieve His purposes of showing to the whole world His superiority above all gods. As I see it, two things are essential for this subject to be understood: 1) God told them how to avoid death, and 2) God has given life and has the right to remove it, cutting short the life of sinners who can no longer be saved. God will deal with the Egyptian babies and children who died in exactly the same way as He will deal with any child or baby who dies today. As to the firstborn who had achieved the age of accountability and died, these were the hardened ones who knew how to avoid death and had seen all the miracles God had performed, but chose to defy His authority. They were lost anyway.
Is this how you see things?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Green Cochoa] #117783
08/19/09 03:50 PM
08/19/09 03:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, then that answer applies to Rosangela's question to me as well.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117784
08/19/09 03:58 PM
08/19/09 03:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

I don't think you will agree with my answer (in the post just above yours), as I understand your perspective is completely different. So I would like to hear your explanation about it.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Rosangela] #117788
08/19/09 06:28 PM
08/19/09 06:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Your response seems fine. Where I would differ would be in regards to holy angels permitting the first born to be killed by destroying angels, which I believe were evil ones.

A question can come up in regards to why Satan would cooperate with God, and also in regards to how Satan's killing newborns would display God's power. In regards to the first point, I think Satan knew God would be blamed for what he (Satan) did (like the GC statement regarding the "great deceiver" hiding his work) and couldn't resist the chance to make God look bad. In regards to the second point, God power is manifest no less in His resisting the powers of evil and managing the forces of nature as it would be in His actual doing the destruction Himself.

A final point is that the question could be raised as to how God would allow Himself to be so misunderstood, and I think the answer to this is similar to when Jesus taught the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man. When I first understood that Jesus did so, *knowing* that what He said would be misunderstood as tacitly endorsing the immortal soul idea, this was a great "aha!" moment for me. My previous paradigm would not have allowed this, because it is not "correct."

However, as I thought about it, it occurred to me that God has no choice but to communicate to us in ways that are "incorrect" because we, with are so highly defective paradigms, could not understand the truth in its "correct" form. So God communicates the truth to us in ways we can understand (e.g. with immortal soul ideas for those He spoke to regarding Lazarus and the Rich Man) and then works with our paradigms to lead us into more and more truth. Jesus spoke of not being able to put new wine into old wine skins, and I believe this is the principle He was getting at.

Another point to mention is that as we perceive things differently, God has millions of paradigms to deal with. How to communicate truth to so many people at so many different places? I believe He does so by communicating different concepts for the different paradigms. At times, it can appear that God is contradicting Himself.

Here are two examples. First of all, there are the instructions for divorce given by Moses. This appears to be implying that God is OK with divorce, that it's not a sin (Or at least wasn't in the time of Moses. MM, for example, appears to believe this). Then in the Gospels, Jesus explains that divorce was only permitted because of the hardness of their hearts.

A second example is the following statement from EGW. I can't find the statement I wanted, so I'll just describe it. It speaks of how we have the incentive of heaven before us, and urges us to respond, to gain heaven and avoid hell. Many times she speaks of a heaven to gain and a hell to shun.

Elsewhere she writes things like:

Quote:
The shortness of time is frequently urged as an incentive for seeking righteousness and making Christ our friend. This should not be the great motive with us; for it savors of selfishness. Is it necessary that the terrors of the day of God should be held before us, that we may be compelled to right action through fear? It ought not to be so.(ST 3/17/87)

and

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.(DA 480)

So it appears on the one hand that she is speaking against the idea of using hope of punishment and fear of reward to incent people, but then she does that very thing. Is she contradicting herself? No, she's addressing different groups of people.

And so with God. God does not contradict Himself, but He addresses different people, with different truths to impress upon them. As some truths are learned, that opens the way for others. For example, a proper understanding of the atonement opens the way to understanding other subjects.

Regarding the concept of putting God in a favorable light, it appears to me that you try to do this. That is, that you look for interpretations which not only match what is said in the text, but that do so in a way that speaks to God in as favorable a way as your understanding of the text permits. I don't know how clear I'm being hear, but this is a positive comment. I perceive and appreciate these efforts.

Finally, this is a rather long post, and I'm not expecting that you'll see things as I do, but hope that this helps to at least explain a bit better where I'm coming from.

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!