HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 78 of 91 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 90 91
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117898
08/21/09 07:10 PM
08/21/09 07:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I was thinking about what you said about the forces of nature. You seem to think God must work supernaturally to arbitrarily prevent the forces of nature from causing universal devastation and mass extinction. This idea, however, seems to assume that the forces of nature are self-acting, that they would behave a certain, predictable way if God did not intervene and prevent it.

However, based on what I've read, it is clear to me that the forces of nature are totally dependent on God, that nothing in nature is self-acting or capable of doing anything independent of God. Whatever happens in nature happens because God makes it happen. For example, rivers flow downhill because God makes them flow downhill. In other words, God did not make water and gravity in such a way that rivers flow downhill without further help from Him.

Nothing is self-acting. Every atom, every molecule in nature behaves the way they do because God makes them behave that way. This is true of natural disasters as well as when the forces of nature function normally. For example, the Flood was not the result of God letting go and allowing the forces of nature to wreak havoc. The forces of nature do not possess the ability to do anything on their own. They are totally dependent on God to function normally and sustain life or to function abnormally and destroy life.

Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117899
08/21/09 07:18 PM
08/21/09 07:18 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I wish to point out once again the importance of proper diligence when developing doctrines from the Bible or from Mrs. White.
now we are walking on shaky ground.
Quote:
My cry has been, Investigate the Scriptures for yourselves, and know for yourselves what saith the Lord. No man is to be authority for us. If he has received his light from the Bible, so may we also go to the same source for light and proof to substantiate the doctrines which we believe. . . . . {9MR 217.2}

With earnest solemnity the Speaker declared: "The church is made of many minds, each of whom has an individuality. I gave My life in order that men and women, by divine grace, might blend in revealing a perfect pattern of My character, while at the same time retaining their individuality. No one has the right to destroy or submerge the individuality of any other human mind, by uttering words of criticism and faultfinding and condemnation."--Manuscript 109, July 21, 1906, "Love Toward God and Man." {UL 216.7}

Quote:
God's servants are amenable to him. No man is to be conscience for them. {SpTA09 36.2}
Quote:
Jesus seemed to lose sight of the nearer view as He saw what was to come upon the world. He looked into the future, and saw that the world would despise His warnings and reproofs. "The brother shall deliver up the brother to death," He said, "and the father the child; and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Satan was the instigator of all this cruelty. He worked to put to death those who were determined to serve God, according to the light they had received, and according to the dictates of their own conscience. Satan tries to force men even in their worship of God to carry out his ideas. Christ has given no example for this kind of work. He draws men, but He never drives them. "My sheep hear My voice," He says, "and they follow Me." Mrs. E. G. White.

Quote:
If it is possible, there should be chosen to fill the responsible positions in a conference, men who will not lead others to depend upon them, but who will lead all to make (503) the life of Christ their study, and their pattern. Christ ever manifested a heavenly courtesy in dealing with human souls. His life was a life of constant self-denial and self-sacrifice. Those who are numbered with the overcomers will be those who have practised the virtues of Christ. My heart has been made sick and sore when I have seen the example set by those who have loved to dictate and control; and I have said, If this wrong continues in spite of the warnings that have been given, I shall have no courage regarding their meeting successfully the great conflict that is before us.

Quote:
No ruling power, that would compel man to obey the dictates of the finite mind, should be exercised. "Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils," the Lord commands. By turning the minds of men to lean on human wisdom, we place a veil between God and man, so that there is not a seeing of Him who is invisible. {SpTB10 19.1}
...The Lord is not pleased when men go to men, and yield up their own will and judgment to follow their counsel. When the one giving it has not more wisdom and faith than themselves, it is all a mistake. Erratic movements will be made, according to present appearance, and not according to the mind and will of God. All must stand in God. If there was not another person on the globe but ourselves, we should be Christians, for our own individual present and eternal good. Life can be pure only when it is under God's control. No man is to rule his fellow men. {SpM 61.3}

Your individuality cannot be submerged in that of any man. You can, if you will, place yourself under the direct beams of the Son of Righteousness, and catch the heavenly glow. {8MR 69.3}

Let each worker remember that he has an individuality of his own, and that this individuality is not to be submerged in any other human being. That individuality is to be sanctified, purified, refined, but it is not to be lost in the individuality of some one else. {GCB, April 25, 1901 par. 7}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117900
08/21/09 07:34 PM
08/21/09 07:34 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, I was thinking about what you said about the forces of nature. You seem to think God must work supernaturally to arbitrarily prevent the forces of nature from causing universal devastation and mass extinction. This idea, however, seems to assume that the forces of nature are self-acting, that they would behave a certain, predictable way if God did not intervene and prevent it.

However, based on what I've read, it is clear to me that the forces of nature are totally dependent on God, that nothing in nature is self-acting or capable of doing anything independent of God. Whatever happens in nature happens because God makes it happen. ...
Nothing is self-acting. Every atom, every molecule in nature behaves the way they do because God makes them behave that way. This is true of natural disasters as well as when the forces of nature function normally. For example, the Flood was not the result of God letting go and allowing the forces of nature to wreak havoc. The forces of nature do not possess the ability to do anything on their own. They are totally dependent on God to function normally and sustain life or to function abnormally and destroy life.
did God create hurricanes, cyclones, etc.?

Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah, and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some, in order to further his own designs; and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them. {CH 460.2}
While appearing to the children of men as a great physician who can heal all their maladies, he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. Destruction will be upon both man and beast. "The earth mourneth and fadeth away," "The haughty people . . . do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant." Isaiah 24:4, 5. {CH 461.1}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117901
08/21/09 07:44 PM
08/21/09 07:44 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: Tom, please consider the following insight:

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. {LDE 241}

t: this is strange wording, mm. have you noticed that? it doesnt make sense in the context.

But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. Who will say God will not do what He says He will do?

Quote:
t: you didnt notice the significance of the wording in bold red?

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them.

Now, regarding the part about God having the power to relieve them. Yes, of course, God has the power to relieve them. The story of the three Hebrew worthies comes to mind. ...
yes!, exactly!

God did not throw the hebrews in the furnace of fire.

Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117908
08/22/09 12:09 AM
08/22/09 12:09 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I wish to point out once again the importance of proper diligence when developing doctrines from the Bible or from Mrs. White.
now we are walking on shaky ground.

Teresa,

God's Word is not "shaky ground." Developing doctrines from the Bible, however, can by just that if we do not heed the Bible's own words on this point.

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15, KJV)

As for the remainder of your quotes, they were all good ones, but I am hard-pressed to see any connection with what I had posted, or with the topic for this thread.

If you are thinking somehow, as it would appear, that my posting about the proper use of 'context' when studying God's Word and the Spirit of Prophecy has been critical, judgmental, or oppressive of your individuality, please explain to me how this is so. Does your individuality depend upon the ability to take statements out of context? If so, please continue to do so. But please understand that my individuality accepts that context is important, and that it is dangerous to take something out of context--therefore, please apply those quotes you brought here to your responses to my posts.

Do you take Mrs. White to be removing your individuality in the following statement?
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In order to sustain erroneous doctrines or unchristian practices, some will seize upon passages of Scripture separated from the context, perhaps quoting half of a single verse as proving their point, when the remaining portion would show the meaning to be quite the opposite. With the cunning of the serpent they entrench themselves behind disconnected utterances construed to suit their carnal desires. Thus do many willfully pervert the word of God. Others, who have an active imagination, seize upon the figures and symbols of Holy Writ, interpret them to suit their fancy, with little regard to the testimony of Scripture as its own interpreter, and then they present their vagaries as the teachings of the Bible. {GC 521.1}
[The Great Controversy (1911)]

The fact remains, whether folks like to read and understand her writings in context or not, Mrs. White did not say that God always destroys by removing His protection and allowing the devil to do his destructive work. She applied this only to that special class of people who had had the light, but had gone their own way, placing themselves on the devil's ground.

Mrs. White did not apply her statement to the plagues, nor to all situations in general.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: plagues [Re: teresaq] #117909
08/22/09 12:37 AM
08/22/09 12:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

However, based on what I've read, it is clear to me that the forces of nature are totally dependent on God, that nothing in nature is self-acting or capable of doing anything independent of God. Whatever happens in nature happens because God makes it happen. ...
did God create hurricanes, cyclones, etc.?

Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah, and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some, in order to further his own designs; and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them. {CH 460.2}
While appearing to the children of men as a great physician who can heal all their maladies, he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. Destruction will be upon both man and beast. "The earth mourneth and fadeth away," "The haughty people . . . do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant." Isaiah 24:4, 5. {CH 461.1}

Teresa, yes, there are times when God permits evil angels to manipulate the forces of nature to cause death and destruction. However, do you know of any balancing statements that talk about God employing the forces of nature Himself to cause death and destruction? For example, do you think following passages describe God employing the forces of nature Himself to cause death and destruction:

Quote:
The depths of the earth are the Lord's arsenal, whence were drawn weapons to be employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters gushing from the earth united with the waters from heaven to accomplish the work of desolation. Since the Flood, fire as well as water has been God's agent to destroy very wicked cities. These judgments are sent that those who lightly regard God's law and trample upon His authority may be led to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty. As men have beheld burning mountains pouring forth fire and flames and torrents of melted ore, drying up rivers, overwhelming populous cities, and everywhere spreading ruin and desolation, the stoutest heart has been filled with terror and infidels and blasphemers have been constrained to acknowledge the infinite power of God. {PP 109.1}

The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters in the bowels of the earth gushed forth, and united with the waters from Heaven, to accomplish the work of destruction. Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {3SG 82.2}

In the day of the Lord, just before the coming of Christ, God will send lightnings from Heaven in his wrath, which will unite with fire in the earth. The mountains will burn like a furnace, and will pour forth terrible streams of lava, destroying gardens and fields, villages and cities; and as they pour their melted ore, rocks and heated mud into the rivers, will cause them to boil like a pot, and send forth massive rocks and scatter their broken fragments upon the land with indescribable violence. Whole rivers will be dried up. The earth will be convulsed, and there will be dreadful eruptions and earthquakes everywhere. God will plague the wicked inhabitants of the earth until they are destroyed from off it. {3SG 82.3}

Those majestic trees which God had caused to grow upon the earth, for the benefit of the inhabitants of the old world, and which they had used to form into idols, and to corrupt themselves with, God has reserved in the earth, in the shape of coal and oil to use as agencies in their final destruction. As he called forth the waters in the earth at the time of the flood, as weapons from his arsenal to accomplish the destruction of the antediluvian race, so at the end of the one thousand years he will call forth the fires in the earth as his weapons which he has reserved for the final destruction, not only of successive generations since the flood, but the antediluvian race who perished by the flood. {3SG 87.1}

Or, do you believe as Tom does that passages like the ones above must be interpreted in light of Jesus' behavior while here in the flesh? In other words, they must be interpreted to mean either 1) sinners caused God to withdraw His protection and evil angels were permitted to manipulate the forces of nature to cause death and destruction, or 2) sinners caused God to withdraw His protection and the forces of nature were allowed to cause death and destruction.

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117910
08/22/09 12:44 AM
08/22/09 12:44 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Now, regarding the part about God having the "power to relieve them". Yes, of course, God has the power to relieve them. The story of the three Hebrew worthies comes to mind. God worked to overrule the natural cause and effect consequences of being tossed alive in the midst of a burning, fiery furnace. But when God takes it upon Himself to "inflict punishment", He does not work to prevent the natural cause and effect consequences. Ellen White put it this way:

t: yes!, exactly! God did not throw the hebrews in the furnace of fire.

I don't understand your comment. What is your point?

Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117914
08/22/09 03:12 AM
08/22/09 03:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:I believe King Neb attempted to use force and violence to motivate people to comply with his whims and wishes. Stalin and Hitler resorted to similar tactics. God, however, has never employed force or violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His laws.

Let's change this a bit to make it more consistent:

Quote:
King Neb attempted to use force and violence to motivate people to comply with his will. Stalin and Hitler resorted to similar tactics. God, however, has never employed force or violence to compel or coerce people to comply with His will.

Would you agree with this statement?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Green Cochoa] #117915
08/22/09 03:29 AM
08/22/09 03:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom:This sounds like saying the end justifies the means. It's OK to do use violence and force as long as one's motives are OK. What does one do with statements such as the following?

EGW:
Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order.(DA 759)

Tom:I don't see how this can be true given what you're suggesting. It seems to me this would have to say instead something like "Often compelling power is found only under Satan's government. Often the Lord's principles are not of this order."

To me, if the Lord's principles are not of this order, that means He doesn't do these things, nor would He command His holy angels to do these things. Otherwise, what does the statement mean?

Quote:
Tom,

You have been working under a misunderstanding of the concept of "compel."

I don't think so. I think it means:

Quote:
to cause to do or occur by overwhelming pressure

That's right, isn't it?

Quote:
M:We do not "compel" someone to die. We kill them. Now, we might "compel" someone to act against his or her will. That is what "compel" means.

The people watching someone killed would be compelled to act against his or her will, if they feared they would also be killed, right?

Quote:
David did not compel Goliath to hurl mocking insults at God. Nor did God do this. However, Goliath's mocking compelled God to act...for His honor.

Here is what it means to compel:

compel: To force, constrain or coerce; To exact or produce by force; To overpower; to subdue

This works. This goes along with the points I've been making. God doesn't use force to get His way.

Quote:
GC:God does not force our will.

Or to get His way.

Quote:
He does not take our will from us by force.

Or use it to get His way, which would be tantamount to the same thing. If He scares us out of our wits, so we don't do what we would choose if we weren't so scared, how is that not forcing our will? How is this any different than what you see was happening with the plagues in Egypt?

Quote:
He never removes from us the freedom of choice which He has given us and guarded for us at the cost of Jesus' life. Following the proper definition of "compel," which is a word tied to our freedom of choice, I can fully agree that God does not do this.

It doesn't seem to me that this is really the case, if one looks at the dynamics of what you see happening in the Egyptian plagues (or, more accurately, what I perceive you have see happening. Perhaps my perception of what you see is happening is wrong. I hope so!)

Quote:
However, following an improper definition of "compel," any number of accusations could be aimed at God for doing just this. For example, one might say that God compels or forces people against their will to:

--have no wings for flying
--stay in our solar system
--die instead of living forever
--have no gills for water sport
--be born blind
--endure the curse of thorns and thistles

etc.

This is missing the point. If you scare someone out of their wits, you are forcing their will, you are using compelling power.

Quote:
God's plagues are not compelling anyone to choose anything against their wills. In fact, they are sent only to bring justice for the choices which have already been made by them.

Let's say someone goes to your house, and tells you to pay him $10,000 and you refuse. He breaks the windows to your house, and makes the same demand. You refuse again. He breaks in and destroys your carpet and makes the same demand. You refuse again. He calls you and makes an obscene phone call threatening to kill your first born and makes the same demand. You refuse again. He makes the same demand. You, afraid he will kill your other children, or your wife, or both, capitulate and pay the $10,000. Are you seriously going to suggest that you have not been compelled against your will to pay the $10,000?

How is this illustration different from the view you hold of what happened in the plagues?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: plagues [Re: Mountain Man] #117917
08/22/09 03:54 AM
08/22/09 03:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:This statement never addresses other classes of people. Nor did Mrs. White put this statement into any of her major writings. This was a private letter, dealing most especially with a particular Mr. Stone who had recently deceased, sent to Uriah Smith and his wife.

GC, I quoted a whole host of statements. This was just one.

I think the approach of looking at individual cases without considering the general principles involves is destined to lead to frustration.

For example, consider the following quote:

Quote:
"God keeps a reckoning with the nations. Not a sparrow falls to the ground without His notice. Those who work evil toward their fellow men, saying, How doth God know? will one day be called upon to meet long-deferred vengeance. In this age a more than common contempt is shown to God. Men have reached a point in insolence and disobedience which shows that their cup of iniquity is almost full. Many have well-nigh passed the boundary of mercy. Soon God will show that He is indeed the living God. He will say to the angels, 'No longer combat Satan in his efforts to destroy. Let him work out his malignity upon the children of disobedience; for the cup of their iniquity is full. They have advanced from one degree of wickedness to another, adding daily to their lawlessness. I will no longer interfere to prevent the destroyer from doing his work." The Review and Herald, September 17, 1901.

We are told from various statements that Satan is filled with wrath, knowing his time is short, and that he causes and will cause great destruction by various means, including natural disasters. We are told there are thousands of things that God protects us from, and that, were He to withdraw His protection, terrible things would happen to us.

We are told that the "great deceiver" hides his own actions, making it appear that God is doing what he does. We are told that he misrepresents God's character, and in so doing deceives people, getting them to unwittingly follow him.

We are told that force and compelling power are not principles of God's government.

We are told that God should not be viewed as an executioner of a sentence against transgressors, but that they put into motion are course of action which leads to their destruction.

We are told that God destroys no one, that Satan is the destroyer.

This is one set of general principles. There are others.

Consider Jesus Christ, for example. We are told that Jesus Christ, in His humanity, revealed all that we can know of God. Jesus Christ Himself said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father." This begs the question, where did Jesus Christ act in a way which is congruent with the violent acts that are suggested of God?

There are many, many more. Since this is already long, I'll mention just one. If God has to use force and violence, and killing, in order to achieve His ends, that suggests that God is dependent upon the methods of Satan/sin to accomplish His purposes. Why? Because before sin there was no force/violence/killing. According to the SOP, Satan is the author of sin and all its results. That makes force/violence/killing fall under his authorship.

When we consider these principles, I think the evidence "compels" us smile to consider that perhaps the traditional understanding of violence and God should be reconsidered.

Page 78 of 91 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 90 91

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!