HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #118755
09/04/09 02:19 AM
09/04/09 02:19 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
To add another point, there is great solace in this for all of us. There are times when we are so low, we feel that no one has suffered like we are, or understands us, or knows our pain. And from a human standpoint, that my be true. But there is One, who suffered in Gethsemane, and on the cross, like none other, who knows what it's like to feel alone, abandoned, without hope in the world, who is touched by our sufferings and sorrows, and longs to comfort us.
that was beautiful.

we need to dwell on that more and more til we become truly Christlike.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Mountain Man] #118763
09/04/09 12:26 PM
09/04/09 12:26 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Your view credits sin, not God, for punishing and destroying the wicked. The Universe will praise God, not sin, for ending the great controversy successfully.

It appears to me that you highly value God punishing sinners. That if sin itself should result in eternal death to sinners without God doing or causing anything, you would feel it is not praiseworthy of God. Is that true: Punishment is highly important for God to do?

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: kland] #118764
09/04/09 01:03 PM
09/04/09 01:03 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Your view credits sin, not God, for punishing and destroying the wicked. The Universe will praise God, not sin, for ending the great controversy successfully.

It appears to me that you highly value God punishing sinners. That if sin itself should result in eternal death to sinners without God doing or causing anything, you would feel it is not praiseworthy of God. Is that true: Punishment is highly important for God to do?

Kland,

I think that you underestimate God's power, duties and role. God has many important duties. Punishment is not the most important, but it is important that sin be effaced from the universe, and that it be done so justly.

God has said "vengeance is mine." That means He will be taking care of things in the end, doesn't it? Do you suppose He would deceive us by telling us this and then have no vengeance?

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Christians need not contend for their rights. They stand under the protection of the banner of Christ. They are to acknowledge the supreme authority of the King of kings and Lord of lords. In matters of difficulty between them and their brethren, they are not to appeal to Caesar or to Pilate. An account is kept of all these matters; and in his own good time, Christ will avenge his own elect. God will deal with the one who defrauds his brother and the cause of God. "Vengeance is mine," he says; "I will repay." {RH, January 3, 1899 par. 9} [The Review and Herald]

We are told we can trust the Lord to avenge the wrongs done to us. God works His vengeance in righteousness. We must not think He does this with the same sinful motives we would have if we were the ones overseeing the judgments.

Chap. 164 - Divine Vengeance

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Rom. 12:19. {CC 170.1}

Although Nabal had refused the needy company of David and his men, yet that very night he made an extravagant feast for himself and his riotous friends, and indulged in eating and drinking till he sank in drunken stupor. {CC 170.2}

Nabal thought nothing of spending an extravagant amount of his wealth to indulge and glorify himself; but it seemed too painful a sacrifice for him to make to bestow compensation which he never would have missed, upon those who had been like a wall to his flocks and herds. Nabal was like the rich man in the parable. He had only one thought,--to use God's merciful gifts to gratify his selfish animal appetites. He had no thought of gratitude to the Giver. He was not rich toward God; for eternal treasure had no attraction for him. Present luxury, present gain, was the one absorbing thought of his life. This was his god. {CC 170.3}

Nabal was a coward at heart; and when he realized how near his folly had brought him to a sudden death, he seemed smitten with paralysis. Fearful that David would still pursue his purpose of revenge, he was filled with horror, and sank down in a condition of helpless insensibility. After ten days he died. The life that God had given him had been only a curse to the world. In the midst of his rejoicing and making merry, God had said to him, as He said to the rich man of the parable, "This night thy soul shall be required of thee" (Luke 12:20). {CC 170.4}

When David heard the tidings of the death of Nabal, he gave thanks that God had taken vengeance into His own hands. He had been restrained from evil, and the Lord had returned the wickedness of the wicked upon his own head. In this dealing of God with Nabal and David, men may be encouraged to put their cases into the hands of God; for in His own good time He will set matters right. {CC 170.5}
[Conflict and Courage (1970)]

I find comfort in that God will be just. I am not happy that the wicked have chosen the way of destruction, but I am happy that they will not have the last word. I am happy that they will not be permitted to reign forever on this earth.

The following applies much, much closer to home. This is a very grave statement which she makes here, and not to be taken lightly.
I saw that since Jesus left the holy place of the heavenly sanctuary and entered within the second veil, the churches have been filling up with every unclean and hateful bird. I saw great iniquity and vileness in the churches; yet their members profess to be Christians. Their profession, their prayers, and their exhortations are an abomination in the sight of God. Said the angel, "God will not smell in their assemblies. Selfishness, fraud, and deceit are practiced by them without the reprovings of conscience. And over all these evil traits they throw the cloak of religion." I was shown the pride of the nominal churches. God is not in their thoughts; their carnal minds dwell upon themselves; they decorate their poor mortal bodies, and then look upon themselves with satisfaction and pleasure. Jesus and the angels look upon them in anger. Said the angel, "Their sins and pride have reached unto heaven. Their portion is prepared. Justice and judgment have slumbered long, but will soon awake. Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, saith the Lord." The fearful threatenings of the third angel are to be realized, and all the wicked are to drink of the wrath of God. An innumerable host of evil angels are spreading over the whole land and crowding the churches. These agents of Satan look upon the religious bodies with exultation, for the cloak of religion covers the greatest crime and iniquity. {EW 274.1} [Early Writings (1882)]

Notice that Ellen White quotes the angel in her above statement.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Green Cochoa] #118769
09/04/09 04:50 PM
09/04/09 04:50 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i understood this to be more of a question of ourselves. in other words, would we find God worthy of worship if He Himself were not going to wreak vengence on our enemies? how would we feel about God if He has other methods in mind?
Quote:
That if sin itself should result in eternal death to sinners without God doing or causing anything, (it seems) you would feel it is not praiseworthy of God.

again, as the pioneers pointed out, in the prophetic it speaks more of the certainty of the event happening, not to the means employed to bring it about.

Phrases sometimes take their shape from their first use. The first use of this is prophetic, Ex.iv,21, (Exo 4:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.)spoken to Moses while yet in Midian, and manifestly having reference to the certainty of the event, and not to the particular kind of agency employed in producing it. {April 1, 1862 JWe, ARSH 139.20}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Green Cochoa] #118772
09/04/09 05:42 PM
09/04/09 05:42 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

We are told we can trust the Lord to avenge the wrongs done to us. God works His vengeance in righteousness. We must not think He does this with the same sinful motives we would have if we were the ones overseeing the judgments.

Chap. 164 - Divine Vengeance
Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Rom. 12:19. {CC 170.1}

Although Nabal had refused the needy company of David and his men, yet that very night he made an extravagant feast for himself and his riotous friends, and indulged in eating and drinking till he sank in drunken stupor. {CC 170.2}

Nabal thought nothing of spending an extravagant amount of his wealth to indulge and glorify himself; but it seemed too painful a sacrifice for him to make to bestow compensation which he never would have missed, upon those who had been like a wall to his flocks and herds. Nabal was like the rich man in the parable. He had only one thought,--to use God's merciful gifts to gratify his selfish animal appetites. He had no thought of gratitude to the Giver. He was not rich toward God; for eternal treasure had no attraction for him. Present luxury, present gain, was the one absorbing thought of his life. This was his god. {CC 170.3}

Nabal was a coward at heart; and when he realized how near his folly had brought him to a sudden death, he seemed smitten with paralysis. Fearful that David would still pursue his purpose of revenge, he was filled with horror, and sank down in a condition of helpless insensibility. After ten days he died. The life that God had given him had been only a curse to the world. In the midst of his rejoicing and making merry, God had said to him, as He said to the rich man of the parable, "This night thy soul shall be required of thee" (Luke 12:20). {CC 170.4}

When David heard the tidings of the death of Nabal, he gave thanks that God had taken vengeance into His own hands. He had been restrained from evil, and the Lord had returned the wickedness of the wicked upon his own head. In this dealing of God with Nabal and David, men may be encouraged to put their cases into the hands of God; for in His own good time He will set matters right. {CC 170.5}[Conflict and Courage (1970)]
this is another relating of the incident stated a little differently:
Although Nabal had refused the needy company of David and his men, yet that very night he made an extravagant feast for himself and his riotous friends, and indulged in eating and drinking till he sunk in drunken stupor. The next day after the effects of his drunken debauch had somewhat passed away, his wife told him of how near he had been to death, and of how the calamity had been averted. As he listened, he realized what a course of evil would have resulted but for Abigail's discretion, and terror filled his heart. Palsied with horror, he sat down and never recovered from the shock. {21MR 214.3} when God says He returns the wickedness of the wicked back on them, that is exactly what He means. God did not kill nabal. nabal died as a result of his drunkenness, shock and fear that david would still come after him. nabals own wickedness killed him.

Psa 7:15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made.

Psa 7:16 His mischief shall return upon his own head, and his violent dealing shall come down upon his own pate.

then david glorifies God:
Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD
most high.

david knew sin was not some good that God was withholding from us. david knew that sin kills.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: teresaq] #118784
09/04/09 11:03 PM
09/04/09 11:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Christians need not contend for their rights. They stand under the protection of the banner of Christ. They are to acknowledge the supreme authority of the King of kings and Lord of lords. In matters of difficulty between them and their brethren, they are not to appeal to Caesar or to Pilate. An account is kept of all these matters; and in his own good time, Christ will avenge his own elect. God will deal with the one who defrauds his brother and the cause of God. "Vengeance is mine," he says; "I will repay." {RH, January 3, 1899 par. 9} [The Review and Herald]

God avenges Himself by making known the truth. He keeps an account of the wrongs to show the wicked themselves in the judgment. This is, as GC 541 puts it, for their own good.

His vengeance is really weird from our perspective. We would never call it vengeance. His vengeance is doing good to those who hate Him, and blessing those who would harm Him.

The principle is brought out in Romans:

Quote:
19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.(Rom. 12:19-21)

I think often the connection between these verses is not seen. In verse 20, we are acting like God does when He takes His vengeance. *God* overcomes evil with good. The character of the good which overcomes evil is to feed your enemy if he is hungry, give him drink if he is thirsty, which does what? It heaps coals of fire on his head. This is the fire that comes from heaven which destroys the wicked.

Jesus spoke of the same concept in the Sermon on the Mount. He said to turn the other cheek, to walk the second mile, to pray for those who treat you despitefully, and so forth. This is God's character. It's not something he turns on and off like a switch, but is simply the way He is.

The "strange act" in the judgment is His allowing the wicked to receive the results of their choice. The wicked have so damaged themselves that merely being in the presence of God is a consuming fire. That glory of Him who is love will destroy them. God's glory is His character. God is love. They can't stand that. God gets His vengeance by simply being Himself.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #118792
09/05/09 01:54 AM
09/05/09 01:54 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
An account is kept of all these matters; and in his own good time, Christ will avenge his own elect.

Originally Posted By: Tom
His vengeance is really weird from our perspective. We would never call it vengeance. His vengeance is doing good to those who hate Him, and blessing those who would harm Him.

Are you saying you don't quite believe Mrs. White meant what she said? Are you saying that she should have used a different word here, or described things differently?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Green Cochoa] #118801
09/05/09 02:21 PM
09/05/09 02:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, GC. I think Ellen White's comments were in harmony with what I've said, and with what Jesus Christ lived and taught.

I'm really rather confused by your questions. Don't you think it's a lot more likely that I would think you don't quite believe what Mrs. White said than that I don't?

There are tons of statements from Ellen White which lay out the principle I discussed. I've cited repeated from GC 35-37, and many others have been cited as well, by me and by others. Where you and I differ is I believe God's withdrawing His protection from the thousand unseen dangers He protects us from is fully sufficient for any punishment He would want to inflict. I don't believe there is any necessity for God to Himself cause things which would look just like the same things that would happen if He simply withdrew His protection. That leads to confusion for us, as we don't know who is who, which is important to understand at the time of the end.

That is, if we believe that both Satan and God will cause plagues, and inflict terrible pain upon their enemies, and kill them, we are in danger of:

1.Using the methods of Satan thinking we are using the methods of God.
2.Thinking that God is doing something when it's really Satan.
3.Misidentifying whether a person or persons is following God or Satan.

For you, it appears, God Himself has to actually inflict the pain, and cause the killings, or He is not being just or righteous or punishing sinners. I don't agree with this. In the Destruction of Jerusalem, God was just and righteous and punished those who rejected His Son. Indeed, we're told that never was there given a more decisive testimony of these things then the destruction of Jerusalem.

So, again, it's not the fact of the question at hand that I'm taking issue with, but the mechanism. Christ will avenge His elect, and He will do so by the methods you yourself quoted from the SOP, love, mercy and goodness. And this vengeance will be for the good of the wicked as well, as the text you quoted also brings out.

There are a number of things in your view that don't make sense to me. To name one, your view appears to me to be having Christ acting as a man who would take vengeance, as opposed to how He actually acted in taking vengeance against Jerusalem.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: Tom] #118804
09/05/09 08:15 PM
09/05/09 08:15 PM
I Am His  Offline
United States
Excuse me for jumping in here and not reading all 18 pages. But my first thoughts on this are that yes God does allow or cause pain to happen for our good.

For instance .... when we pray for God to fill us with His Spirit and to resist the sins in our life. Only He can do this .... but He does not fully answer our plea. He allows us to have sin in our lives. And I think it is so that we will always see and feel the need for His power. If we had victory over all sins .... we would not see the need or we would forget the need for His power.

Sin is a constant reminder of our need for our Saviour.

Re: Does God sometimes cause pain? [Re: I Am His] #118806
09/05/09 08:29 PM
09/05/09 08:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The title of the thread is a bit misleading. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you to read the first couple of pages if you haven't already done so.

Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!