HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,637
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Deity of Jesus #118930
09/07/09 08:13 PM
09/07/09 08:13 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
I came across a discussion with some good points which I thought I would present as seen below to everyone for their thoughts...

"...God tells us in Psalm 86:10 "Thou art the monos (only) and the great God." Isaiah tells us [37:16] O Lord of hosts, God of Israel, who sittest upon the cherubs, thou ALONE (monos) art the God of every kingdom of the world: thou hast made heaven and earth." "Thus saith the Lord that redeems thee, and who formed thee from the womb, I am the Lord that performs all things: I stretched out the heaven monos (alone), and established the earth." [Isa 44:24];"

Jesus also tells us something that adds to the evidence. ""I am not alone, (ouk monos), because the father is with me." [John 16:32].

While Jehovah points out that he created all things monos (alone) Jesus tells us that when he and the father are together, they are "ouk monos (NOT ALONE.)

IF Jesus is deity, beyond being a FORM OF deity, then who is he? He is not Jehovah, he is not the Father, he is not prior to Adam, he is "before Abraham" but only in Prophecy, and he is after John in actuallity. Jesus, being a "form of God," cannot be God of whom he is a form...."

How would you answer the questions raised?

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Rick H] #118937
09/08/09 03:55 AM
09/08/09 03:55 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
for me its simple, keeping in mind that ellen white uses "trio".

which, again, for me, is purely bible:
Quote:
The Father can not be described by the things of earth. The Father is all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and is invisible to mortal sight. The Son is all the fullness of the Godhead manifested. The word of God declares Him to be "the express image of His person." "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Here is shown the personality of the Father. {BTS, March 1, 1906 par. 1}
The Comforter that Christ promised to send after He ascended to heaven, is the Spirit in all the fullness of the Godhead, making manifest the power of divine grace to all who receive and believe in Christ as a personal Saviour. There are three living persons of the heavenly trio. In the name of these three powers,--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized, and these powers will cooperate with the obedient subjects of heaven in their efforts to live the new life in Christ. {BTS, March 1, 1906 par. 2}

Psalm 86:10 "Thou art the monos (only) and the great God (it isnt "monos" it is "bad")

Isaiah [37:16] (is "bad" again, not "monos")O Lord of hosts, God of Israel, who sittest upon the cherubs, thou ALONE (monos) art the God of every kingdom of the world: thou hast made heaven and earth."

1. alone, by itself, besides, a part, separation, being alone
1. separation, alone, by itself
1. only (adv)
2. apart from, besides (prep)
2. part
3. parts (eg limbs, shoots), bars

"God" is being compared to the heathen gods for one thing. He is the only true, real God.

for another elohiym is plural - Gods

"Thus saith the Lord that redeems thee, and who formed thee from the womb, I am the Lord that performs all things: I stretched out the heaven monos (alone), and established the earth." [Isa 44:24];"

LORD while translated Jehovah, as a name, means eternal, self-existent.

in the new testament, and the writings of ellen white, "God" is used for the Father exclusively, as an identifier as to Whom is being referred to. it is possible that is true for the ot as well, but i havent made a deep study into that yet.

ill let another show how Jehovah applies to Jesus as much as to the Father.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: Rick H] #118938
09/08/09 04:08 AM
09/08/09 04:08 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
"The spirits deny the deity of Christ and place even the Creator on a level with themselves. Thus under a new disguise the great rebel still carries on his warfare against God, begun in heaven and for nearly six thousand years continued upon the earth. {GC 552.2}

Jesus Christ is the Creator of all things.
He WAS in the beginning as God the Father was in the beginning.

Quote:
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Col. 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

His name Jesus Christ is derived from the Greek form of the name Jeshua meaning "Jehovah-Savior".
The title Christ is derived from the Greek word for Messiah or Mashiach meaning "anointed one".

Quote:
Matt. 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Luke 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The New Testament clearly presents Christ as God.

For example, Jesus is called God in the following texts:

Quote:
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and Saviour Jesus Christ;

John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Heb. 1:8 But unto the Son, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Jesus claims equality with God as his Father and asserts that He was one with the Father.
Quote:
"I and the Father are one" John 10:30.
"The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them 'I showed you many good works from the Father; for wich of them are you stoneing Me?' The jews answered Him, 'For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God'" (John 10:31-33)

It is evident that those who heard this statement recognized it as Jesus claiming to be God.

Jesus continuously spoke of himself as one with the Father:

Quote:
"If you knew Me, you would know My Father also" (John 8:19)
"He who belholds me beholds the One who sent me" (John 12:45)
"He who hates Me, hates My Father also" (John 15:23)
"All may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him" (John 5:23)

Christ forgave sins. None could forgive sin save the One against whom all have sinned. When Christ forgave sin, He was demonstrating that He was God.

Quote:
"Why doth this man speak blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone? Mark 2:7
2:8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?
2:9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?
2:10 But that you may know that the Son of man has power on earth to forgive sins, (he said to the sick of the palsy,)
2:11 I say unto you, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

Oh, some may say, I can forgive, too, that doesn't make me God.
Well yes you can forgive someone who wronged YOU. But SIN is against God. He is the One who is sinned against. The paralytic had sinned against God -- sins that forfeited his eternal life! Who alone can forgive those sins?

Jesus -- the Creator and the One Who died upon the cross taking our sins upon Himself ALONE can forgive sin.

Christ claimed to be the Great I AM.

Quote:
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

He doesn't say, Before Abraham "I WAS", He uses the continual presense of the "I AM"
The name God revealed to Moses

Quote:
Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM has sent me unto you.
3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD (JEHOVAH) God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: dedication] #118943
09/08/09 06:51 AM
09/08/09 06:51 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I had a look at the hebrew texts as did teresa and indeed monos is not found there. It is however found in the LXX, so linguistic objections sort of fall.
However, I think dedications points are good. They are enough answer for me.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: vastergotland] #118955
09/08/09 11:14 PM
09/08/09 11:14 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
lol. there were no "linguistics objections". merely pointing out that in hebrew the word is bad and in greek it is monos, which the LXX is but a translation of the hebrew, right?

Quote:
They are enough answer for me.
but do they answer the person with the objections? is it thorough and deep enough covering all the points raised?

proving to someone who already believes is easy. being able to prove a point convincingly to someone who belives differently is the challenge.

i am not standing in criticism of your post, dedication, in saying this, merely making a point.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: teresaq] #118961
09/09/09 05:50 AM
09/09/09 05:50 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Pointing out that the word claimed to be the issue does not occur in the original sure do look like a linguistic to me.

Wether the points are sufficient very much depends on where the questioneer stands, as you point out. Preaching to the choir is a much different thing from preaching to the ignorant, but preaching to those who have already rejected the message is nearly pointless. Is there such a thing as enough evidence for someone who is willfully blind? So is this a person who has rejected the divinity of Jesus or is it a person who is trying to form an opinion about the question? Maybe Richard knows...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: teresaq] #118962
09/09/09 06:00 AM
09/09/09 06:00 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Sadly, there will always be those who insist that Jesus Christ is not God (Diety) along with God the Father. After all, that is the belief that "the spirits" want people to believe.

Quote:
Great Controversy p.524
"If men reject the testimony of the inspired Scriptures concerning the Deity of Christ, it is vain to argue the point with them, for no argument, however conclusive, could convince them. . . .None who hold this error can have a true conception of the character or the mission of Christ, or of the great plan of God for man's redemption."

"The spirits deny the deity of Christ and place even the Creator on a level with themselves. Thus under a new disguise the great rebel still carries on his warfare against God, begun in heaven and for nearly six thousand years continued upon the earth. {GC 552.2}

1 Timothy 3:16 God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Matt. 1:23 they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: vastergotland] #118972
09/09/09 03:22 PM
09/09/09 03:22 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Is there such a thing as enough evidence for someone who is willfully blind? So is this a person who has rejected the divinity of Jesus or is it a person who is trying to form an opinion about the question? Maybe Richard knows...
isnt that making a judgment?

we can be fully convinced that Jesus is just as much God as the Father is, and others can be fully convinced He is not. spiritual things are spiritually discerned, a difficult lesson to learn when it comes to (judging) others.

Originally Posted By: dedication
Sadly, there will always be those who insist that Jesus Christ is not God (Diety) along with God the Father. After all, that is the belief that "the spirits" want people to believe.
is that completely true, or more of a judgment? what about the honest muslims through the centuries who will be saved?

i understand that being like Jesus
is more important than believing He is God also.

i had been wondering if antitrinitarians could come to a saving knowledge if they didnt acknowledge Christ as God also, but i think i just answered my own question.

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: teresaq] #118973
09/09/09 03:29 PM
09/09/09 03:29 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Great Controversy p.524
"If men reject the testimony of the inspired Scriptures concerning the Deity of Christ, it is vain to argue the point with them, for no argument, however conclusive, could convince them. . . .None who hold this error can have a true conception of the character or the mission of Christ, or of the great plan of God for man's redemption."
i like this. for me its all about the humility of Christ, and the Godhead, that He, as God, would stoop to become man and come to live in this world as one of us. to associate with us...

Re: Deity of Jesus [Re: teresaq] #118976
09/09/09 05:40 PM
09/09/09 05:40 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: västergötland
Is there such a thing as enough evidence for someone who is willfully blind? So is this a person who has rejected the divinity of Jesus or is it a person who is trying to form an opinion about the question? Maybe Richard knows...
isnt that making a judgment?

we can be fully convinced that Jesus is just as much God as the Father is, and others can be fully convinced He is not. spiritual things are spiritually discerned, a difficult lesson to learn when it comes to (judging) others.
I dont think it is judging since the point about willfull blindness is a general statement while the point to the one asking the initial questions is itself a question. No connection intended due to insufficient information.
Quote:

Originally Posted By: dedication
is that completely true, or more of a judgment? what about the honest muslims through the centuries who will be saved?

i understand that being like Jesus
is more important than believing He is God also.

i had been wondering if antitrinitarians could come to a saving knowledge if they didnt acknowledge Christ as God also, but i think i just answered my own question.
Or the honest animist or the honest atheist? Would Paul have been saved had he not replied as he did to meeting Jesus on the Damascus road? He sertainly was very honest in his very eager atempts at rooting out the church. And will these speculations ever give more answer than the question regarding angels dancing on a needle tip?

Regarding antitrinitarians it would depend on the meaning of the antichrists of Johns letter, would it not?

Galatians 2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!