HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,372 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 105 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119440
09/18/09 05:58 PM
09/18/09 05:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I wish to reiterate that the most important issue to my view hasn't been dealt with, and that's one regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119444
09/18/09 06:22 PM
09/18/09 06:22 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Please explain your comment here. Are you thinking I said that Ellen White must necessarily always use the primary definition of the word? I certainly didn't say that! I claimed she did, in this case, do so, and presented an argument as to why. So why your comment here?

She's using the primary definition:

Quote:
1. Depending on will or discretion; not governed by any fixed rules; as, an arbitrary decision; an arbitrary punishment.

Ok, I'll try wording it another way. You have an idea, which is that EGW used the word "arbitrary" not in accordance with its primary definition, but with a secondary definition.

No, you're misunderstanding things here. I'm saying IF what you are asserting, that "arbitrary" was used according the secondary definition as opposed to the primary one, THEN she should have written along the lines I outlined. BUT she did not write the way I outlined. THEREFORE what you asserted is false.

Tom,

I have not claimed Mrs. White used other than the primary definition. You are the one who is actually not accepting the primary definition. You are attempting to accept a portion of it only, but not the whole of it. The definition, the primary definition, says arbitrary means not governed by any fixed rules; and not fixed by law.

Mrs. White, by using this word, plainly says that God's use of power is the opposite of this--i.e. that He abides by law in the use of His power. Again, she does NOT say that God uses no power. You, however, attempt to construe this as saying He does not use power. This rendition is unwarranted based on the grammar and terminology of the sentence. She does not say that God uses no power. Furthermore, other references of Mrs. White's writings clarify exactly what God will do. He will cause the lost to burn, some of them for days, and Satan the longest. Her words could hardly be more explicit on this point.

1.Argue that it's not true that if X were the case that Y would follow.
This is what I've been doing. I'm arguing that your "Y" is not true. But perhaps I have not been clear enough.

Your "Y" hangs upon a definition of "arbitrary" which is not in the dictionary. This is why we have spent so much time on this one word.

If I tell you that I am not eating chocolate ice cream, that I do not like chocolate ice cream (and never have), can you safely presume that I am not eating ice cream? No, of course not. I may be eating coconut ice cream (my favorite since I was introduced to it here in Asia).

If God is not using "arbitrary power" does this mean He is not using power at all? Again, the answer is no. If such were the case, Mrs. White would have needed to omit the word "arbitrary" entirely.

The adjective qualifies the noun. The noun is "power." The adjective is "arbitrary." What kind of "power?" It is not an "arbitrary power."

While I said these things earlier, it sometimes helps the concepts to be communicated when presented from a different angle. I do not expect that you will agree, but I hope I have helped you to understand my position.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119448
09/18/09 07:01 PM
09/18/09 07:01 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I wish to reiterate that the most important issue to my view hasn't been dealt with, and that's one regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

The problem with your view, Tom, is that in order to hold it you must necessarily reject certain portions of inspiration.

Mrs. White tells us in no uncertain words that what you described above will happen (although she does not use the pejorative word "torture"). Do you think we mere mortals have any wisdom above God? Can we presume to know Him better than He knows Himself? He has spoken of these events through His prophets...do we now reject His words because reason tells us that they cannot be correct?

I was just reading earlier today in Mrs. White's writings about how the French placed the Goddess of Reason (a dancer from the theater) in place of God, and claimed that reason was their god. While they did this in a literal sort of way, we may also be guilty of a similar wrong by thinking we know better than God.

Mrs. White speaks plainly regarding the lost.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "According to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch,--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and Heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC88 673.1}

After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch,-- Satan the root, his followers the branches. The justice of God is satisfied, and the saints and all the angelic host say with a loud voice, Amen. {4SP 488.1}

Mrs. White calls this act of God a righteous one. The "cleansing flames" have met the "demands of justice" as required by God's righteous law. I want to be among those who say "Amen," don't you?

In a sense, to deny the reality of this event is to deny a portion of God's law. I cannot, in good conscience, do so.
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
...Many regard the threatenings of the Bible as designed merely to frighten men into obedience, and not to be literally fulfilled. Thus the sinner can live in selfish pleasure, disregarding the requirements of God, and yet expect to be finally received into His favor. . . . {FLB 178.4}
God has given to men a declaration of His character, and of His method of dealing with sin. . . . "All the wicked will he destroy." Psalm 145:20. . . . Yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being. . . . {FLB 178.5}
And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes. {FLB 178.6}

That statement is clear, too. God's character is revealed through this. Something to think about, isn't it?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119451
09/18/09 07:19 PM
09/18/09 07:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:I have not claimed Mrs. White used other than the primary definition. You are the one who is actually not accepting the primary definition. You are attempting to accept a portion of it only, but not the whole of it. The definition, the primary definition, says arbitrary means not governed by any fixed rules; and not fixed by law.

Mrs. White, by using this word, plainly says that God's use of power is the opposite of this--i.e. that He abides by law in the use of His power. Again, she does NOT say that God uses no power.

GC, you haven't understood the definition. The definition is saying that "arbitrary" means "by individual discretion as opposed to by fixed law or rule." This means that instead of rendering a decision based on a rule or law, a person, like a judge, uses his individual discretion. It's not dealing with whether or not the judge is abiding by the law or not. Of course the judge, using his individual discretion, is abiding by the law. But there is discretion involved in his decision. It's not a fixed decision, with no space for individual discretion. That's the point of the definition.

In the Ellen White quote, she's saying that the destruction of the wicked is not due to an arbitrary, or imposed, act of power on the part of God, but, instead, is a result of the decision of the wicked themselves. This is her point, that the wicked die as a result of their own choice.

This is especially made clear in the case of Satan, where she says had God *left* Satan to reap the result of sin, he would have perished. If Satan were die to act of power from God's hands, then it wouldn't make sense to say that if God *left* Satan to reap the result of his sin he would perish, as in this case it would be God Himself who was causing His death. But her whole point is that it's not God, but sin, as she continues that in this case (if God left Satan to perish by reaping the results of his sin) it would not have been evident that death is the inevitable result of sin. Of course, if death *isn't* the inevitable result of sin, but due to and act on God's part, waiting wouldn't do any good. No matter when God killed the wicked, it would be evident that there death was not due to the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
GC:You, however, attempt to construe this as saying He does not use power. This rendition is unwarranted based on the grammar and terminology of the sentence.

This is incorrect. She is either saying that the wicked do not die as the result of an act of imposed power on the part of God, or that God is not acting capriciously in destroying the wicked by an act of power. In the former case, God wouldn't be using power at all. Both constructions are valid, based on the grammar and terminology involved. To settle the issue, the *context* must be the determining factor.

Quote:
She does not say that God uses no power. Furthermore, other references of Mrs. White's writings clarify exactly what God will do. He will cause the lost to burn, some of them for days, and Satan the longest. Her words could hardly be more explicit on this point.

Again, this is not dealing with the most important issue, regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

I really don't understand how you can even entertain this idea. It should be obvious, on the face of it, that this interpretation couldn't possibly be right, simply on the basis that cruelty is Satanic.

Quote:
T:1.Argue that it's not true that if X were the case that Y would follow.

GC:This is what I've been doing. I'm arguing that your "Y" is not true. But perhaps I have not been clear enough.

You haven't presented any arguments, but assertions. I've presented an argument based on the text. I enumerated what she said, and explained why her points fit with the primary definition, but not with the second.

Quote:
Your "Y" hangs upon a definition of "arbitrary" which is not in the dictionary. This is why we have spent so much time on this one word.

If I tell you that I am not eating chocolate ice cream, that I do not like chocolate ice cream (and never have), can you safely presume that I am not eating ice cream? No, of course not. I may be eating coconut ice cream (my favorite since I was introduced to it here in Asia).

If God is not using "arbitrary power" does this mean He is not using power at all? Again, the answer is no. If such were the case, Mrs. White would have needed to omit the word "arbitrary" entirely.

The adjective qualifies the noun. The noun is "power." The adjective is "arbitrary." What kind of "power?" It is not an "arbitrary power."

While I said these things earlier, it sometimes helps the concepts to be communicated when presented from a different angle. I do not expect that you will agree, but I hope I have helped you to understand my position.

This isn't the argument, GC. The argument is that there are two possible definitions for arbitrary, the primary or the secondary. I'm arguing that Ellen White's point is that the wicked due not due to an arbitrary, or imposed, or discretionary, act of power on the part of God, not that God destroys the wicked by an act of power but is justified in so doing.

As I've pointed out, the context bears out what I'm saying. If she were arguing that God was justified in His use of power, she would have made some point relating to this fact. But she didn't. All her points relate to the fact that the wicked die as a result of their own choice.

The subject under discussion is what causes the death of the wicked. Is it an arbitrary act of power on the part of God? Or is it the result of the choices of the wicked themselves?

The subject under discussion is *not* whether that act of power which God uses is arbitrary or not.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119453
09/18/09 07:45 PM
09/18/09 07:45 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Quote:
The subject under discussion is what causes the death of the wicked. Is it an arbitrary act of power on the part of God? Or is it the result of the choices of the wicked themselves?

Well, let's get right to the point here:

1) No, it is not an "arbitrary" act of power on the part of God.
2) Yes, the responsibility for the death of the wicked falls upon themselves. It was their own choice(s) that led them to this fate.

However, God kills them. They do not kill themselves. In a sense, God is ALSO responsible for their deaths, in that He executes the judgments.

To use a Biblical example...
Originally Posted By: The Bible, 2 Samuel
1:5 And David said unto the young man that told him, How knowest thou that Saul and Jonathan his son be dead?
1:6 And the young man that told him said, As I happened by chance upon mount Gilboa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear; and, lo, the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him.
1:7 And when he looked behind him, he saw me, and called unto me. And I answered, Here [am] I.
1:8 And he said unto me, Who [art] thou? And I answered him, I [am] an Amalekite.
1:9 He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life [is] yet whole in me.
1:10 So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen: and I took the crown that [was] upon his head, and the bracelet that [was] on his arm, and have brought them hither unto my lord.
1:11 Then David took hold on his clothes, and rent them; and likewise all the men that [were] with him:
1:12 And they mourned, and wept, and fasted until even, for Saul, and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of the LORD, and for the house of Israel; because they were fallen by the sword.
1:13 And David said unto the young man that told him, Whence [art] thou? And he answered, I [am] the son of a stranger, an Amalekite.
1:14 And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD'S anointed?
1:15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, [and] fall upon him. And he smote him that he died.
1:16 And David said unto him, Thy blood [be] upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the LORD'S anointed.

The last two verses there, which I bolded, represent the scene well in terms of choices and responsibility.

The Amalekite, by his own choice, had earned the death penalty. David commanded that it be executed. Who was responsible for the man's death?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119461
09/18/09 10:11 PM
09/18/09 10:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:The problem with your view, Tom, is that in order to hold it you must necessarily reject certain portions of inspiration.

Not if inspiration agrees with God's character as revealed by Jesus Christ, which I believe it does. I think you're holding to a view which doesn't agree with God's character as revealed by Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Mrs. White tells us in no uncertain words that what you described above will happen (although she does not use the pejorative word "torture").

She uses this word in GC 536.

Quote:
What would be gained to God should we admit that He delights in witnessing unceasing tortures; that He is regaled with the groans and shrieks and imprecations of the suffering creatures whom He holds in the flames of hell? Can these horrid sounds be music in the ear of Infinite Love? It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated.

So setting someone on fire is, in her words, "torture." Your view isn't "unceasing torture," since you think it will end, but the setting on fire part is the same as what the eternal torment people believe, and she terms this "torture."

Quote:
GC:Do you think we mere mortals have any wisdom above God? Can we presume to know Him better than He knows Himself? He has spoken of these events through His prophets...do we now reject His words because reason tells us that they cannot be correct?

God has revealed Himself to us in and through Jesus Christ. The most important factor not reason, but revelation. It appears to me that you're suggesting a view which has God acting in a way which is completely at odds with what Jesus Christ revealed.

Quote:
GC:I was just reading earlier today in Mrs. White's writings about how the French placed the Goddess of Reason (a dancer from the theater) in place of God, and claimed that reason was their god. While they did this in a literal sort of way, we may also be guilty of a similar wrong by thinking we know better than God.

I may be suggesting that I know better than you, but I'm not suggesting I know better than God. I believe I can disagree with you without disagreeing with God.

Quote:
Mrs. White speaks plainly regarding the lost.

I agree, and have been quoting her. I don't believe she taught that the wicked will be set on fire for hours or days. Teresa's posts seem to be bringing out that her contemporaries didn't take her words this way either. I know Waggoner, for one, wrote things very similar to what I've written regarding this subject.

There was a fellow who used to post here, Kevin H., who had researched this subject in detail from an historical perspective, who said that the idea that the fire was not literal goes back to the very beginnings of Adventism.

Quote:
GC:Mrs. White calls this act of God a righteous one. The "cleansing flames" have met the "demands of justice" as required by God's righteous law. I want to be among those who say "Amen," don't you?

I hope, by God's grace, to be among the ones praising God for all eternity, and to "Amen" His finally destruction of sin, the greatest feat there will ever be (that and saving a fallen race). However, I won't be saying "Amen" to the setting on fire of people for hours or days at a time, as that won't be happening.

Quote:
GC:In a sense, to deny the reality of this event is to deny a portion of God's law. I cannot, in good conscience, do so.

I'm not denying reality, but your view. Your ideas do not necessarily correspond to reality.

Quote:
That statement is clear, too. God's character is revealed through this. Something to think about, isn't it?

This sounds like a precursor to GC 541-543. God uses the principles of kindness, mercy and love in the judgment. She also says that cruelty is Satanic. These are among the reasons that I reject your view. It's not possible that God will set people on fire for many hours or many days in order to make them suffer. First of all, it's completely foreign to His character to act in this manner. Secondly, what purpose could there possibly be in burning people alive? Doesn't even the expression "burning alive" sound savage?

How is it you think that it is possible for God to do this? I understand you think this is what inspiration says, but this isn't what I'm asking. There could be some passage in inspiration which looks to be saying, reading in a cursory way, that God lied about some given thing. You would reject such a reading immediately, I would suspect, because you don't believe that God's character is such that He would lie (in addition to the statement from James). So what I'm asking is why you think it is possible, before considering that statement in Revelation, that God would set people on fire for many hours or many days.

According to the SOP, all that we can know of God was revealed in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ while here with us in the flesh. What is Jesus' life or teachings would lead you to believe that He would set someone on fire, and keep the person alive for the purpose of causing that person excruciating pain?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119462
09/18/09 10:19 PM
09/18/09 10:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GreenCocha
T:The subject under discussion is what causes the death of the wicked. Is it an arbitrary act of power on the part of God? Or is it the result of the choices of the wicked themselves?

GC:Well, let's get right to the point here:

2) Yes, the responsibility for the death of the wicked falls upon themselves. It was their own choice(s) that led them to this fate.

However, God kills them. They do not kill themselves.

This is contradicting what DA 764 says. She says *rather* than being an "arbitrary" act of power on the part of God, it is the choice of the wicked that causes their death. Let's consider DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.

Please note:

1.The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown.
2.When one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.
3."All they that hate Me love death."
4.They receive the results of their own choice.
5.By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.
6.The glory (character) of Him who is love will destroy them.
7.Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished.
8.This (death) is the inevitable result of sin.

Over and over again she makes the point she should be making if she's using the primary definition of "arbitrary." Not once does she make the argument she would have made if she had the in mind what you are suggesting for her.

Notice specifically she quotes Christ as saying that those who hate Him love death. "Love" hear means "choose" (as in when Christ said that those who didn't hate their father and mother weren't worthy of Him; this is speaking of preference, not the emotion. Christ is saying here that those who reject Him are choosing death).

The passage explains how it is that the wicked cause their own destruction. For example:

"When one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life."

The most important issue to my view hasn't been dealt with, and that's one regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119471
09/19/09 01:46 AM
09/19/09 01:46 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I haven't read the recent deluge of posts, but a quick comment for now....

Originally Posted By: GreenCocha
T:The subject under discussion is what causes the death of the wicked. Is it an arbitrary act of power on the part of God? Or is it the result of the choices of the wicked themselves?

GC:Well, let's get right to the point here:

However, God kills them. They do not kill themselves.

This is contradicting what DA 764 says. She says *rather* than being an "arbitrary" act of power on the part of God, it is the choice of the wicked that causes their death.

There is no contradiction. Look at the definition again, one contemporary with EGW:
Originally Posted By: Webster's 1828 Dictionary
ARBITRARY, a. [L. arbitrarious.]
1. Depending on will or discretion; not governed by any fixed rules; as, an arbitrary decision; an arbitrary punishment.
Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.
2. Despotic; absolute in power; having no external control; as, an arbitrary prince or government.

Whether we choose the first or second meaning, your interpretation still does not follow from the text.

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God.

You say we should take meaning 1. OK, let's do that.

Does the death of the wicked depend on God's will or discretion? IOW, does God choose who will be saved and who will be lost? No, He does not. He wants all to be saved, but each one must choose for himself. Those who are lost end up there because of their own choices, not God's whim.

Is this result not governed by any fixed rules? It most certainly is. There is no guesswork involved. By their fruits you will know them, not just have a very good idea. Our problem now is that we do not have full disclosure of each one's fruits. But everything will be laid out in the open during the judgment. Then everyone will see the "cause and effect" of God's judgment.

And what is the cause the effects the death of the wicked? His own wicked choices. You can't blame it on God.

EGW said, "This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God." She did NOT say, as you are suggesting, "This is not an act of power on the part of God." She was pointing out that the wicked are lost, not because of an arbitrary choice of God as Calvinists would have us believe, but the simple working out of God's laws - the soul that sins shall die.

But as MM pointed out, the wicked will not light themselves on fire. They won't light the whole planet on fire either. The cleansing of the earth will not be left in the hands of those who have proven themselves unwilling to do the right thing. That job is reserved for God; He will cleanse with fire.

What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

What would God be like if He raised people from the respite of death, only to have them endure mental anguish of such proportions that it will cause eternal death?

Satan chose to separate himself from God long ago, but he's still around. Is he keeping himself alive? Or is it "supernatural power" that keeps him alive, to suffer through his miserable existence?

Plus, the SOP says that he will suffer for many days because of his sins and the sins he caused others to commit. Doesn't sin separate us from God, the Source of life? More sins means more separation from God, yes? More separation from God means less life, yes? But Satan lives longer than the rest of the wicked, according to the SOP. How is that, if not for supernatural power?

Your indignation is misplaced. The anguish of soul that the lost will suffer is much worse than any physical pain can ever be. But when the wicked receive their reward, the universe will not think God was bad for giving it to them.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119474
09/19/09 03:53 AM
09/19/09 03:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
Whether we choose the first or second meaning, your interpretation still does not follow from the text.

Yes it does. She says that the death of the wicked is not due to an arbitrary act of power of God. Then she says 9 or 10 times in a row that the wicked die as a result of their own choice. I don't see how the significance of this can be missed.

She says that had God *left* Lucifer to reap the result of his sin, he would have perished. If God were to cause Lucifer's death by killing him, she could hardly have said that God was leaving him to perish.

She says that death is the inevitable result of sin, but this would not have been understood had God allowed this to happen at the beginning. However, after Christ had died (please recall that this whole chapter is dealing with the theme of what Christ accomplished by His death) it was no longer the case that Satan's death would be misinterpreted. Why? Because the mechanics of the second death were seen in Christ's death.

How did Christ die? Did God kill Him? Or was it the "inevitable result of sin"?

Quote:
The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. (DA 753)

Christ felt the anguish the wicked will feel, and this caused His death (next sentence). The death of the wicked will be caused by sin, as Christ's was, which explains how it is that Satan's death, and the death of his followers, won't be misunderstood in the judgment.

Quote:
EGW said, "This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God." She did NOT say, as you are suggesting, "This is not an act of power on the part of God." She was pointing out that the wicked are lost, not because of an arbitrary choice of God as Calvinists would have us believe, but the simple working out of God's laws - the soul that sins shall die.

No she's not. Here's what she wrote:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

This is saying nothing about the working out of God's laws. Not one word. It's saying precisely what I've said it is, that the wicked die as a result of their own choice. I can demonstrate this by simply copying and pasting what she said point by point:

1.The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown.
2.When one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.
3."All they that hate Me love death."
4.They receive the results of their own choice.
5.By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.
6.The glory (character) of Him who is love will destroy them.
7.Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished.
8.This (death) is the inevitable result of sin.

All one needs to do to see what I'm saying is the case is to simply read what she wrote. One should attempt to make an argument based on what she actually wrote.

It's true that if one considers only the one sentence that it could be taken the way that's being suggested. But consider the sentences which follow. When one does this it's clear that her point is that the death of the wicked is not due to an arbitrary act of power on the part of God, but due to the result of their own choice.

Quote:
T:What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

A:What would God be like if He raised people from the respite of death, only to have them endure mental anguish of such proportions that it will cause eternal death?

As the SOP points out, God acts in accordance with the principles of mercy, kindness and love, as well as in accordance with the principle of "Love they enemy." She also points out that the judgment of the wicked is for their own benefit.

Now there's no way that setting someone on fire, and supernaturally keeping them alive so they can experience excruciating pain (which she calls "torture") can be construed as "kindness" "mercy" or "love," nor being for the benefit of the wicked.

Quote:
Satan chose to separate himself from God long ago, but he's still around. Is he keeping himself alive? Or is it "supernatural power" that keeps him alive, to suffer through his miserable existence?

Plus, the SOP says that he will suffer for many days because of his sins and the sins he caused others to commit. Doesn't sin separate us from God, the Source of life? More sins means more separation from God, yes? More separation from God means less life, yes? But Satan lives longer than the rest of the wicked, according to the SOP. How is that, if not for supernatural power?

What's your argument here? That God is being cruel by supernaturally prolong Satan's life so that he can suffer?

Quote:
Your indignation is misplaced. The anguish of soul that the lost will suffer is much worse than any physical pain can ever be. But when the wicked receive their reward, the universe will not think God was bad for giving it to them.

What possible purpose could there be in God's setting someone on fire, and keeping the alive just so they can suffer excruciating pain? Ellen White terms this "torture" (GC 536). This would not be "eternal torture" but finite in duration, but torture nonetheless. Do you really want to defend the idea that God will torture those who chose not to follow Him?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119476
09/19/09 04:48 AM
09/19/09 04:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The Amalekite, by his own choice, had earned the death penalty. David commanded that it be executed. Who was responsible for the man's death?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 6 of 105 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!