HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 105 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119578
09/21/09 03:35 PM
09/21/09 03:35 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
PS - For the record, I haven't ruled out the idea that God will engulf the wicked with fire from above and from below and then keep them alive supernaturally so that they can be punished according to their sinfulness. Neither the Bible nor the SOP says so one way or the other. Both simply say literal fire will be present.
The Bible and the SOP both say there will be literal fire.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: [this shall be] the portion of their cup. For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright. (Psalm 11:5-7)

The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb. (Revelation 14:10)

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. (Revelation 19:20)

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Those majestic trees which God had caused to grow upon the earth, for the benefit of the inhabitants of the old world, and which they had used to form into idols, and to corrupt themselves with, God has reserved in the earth, in the shape of coal and oil to use as agencies in their final destruction. As he called forth the waters in the earth at the time of the flood, as weapons from his arsenal to accomplish the destruction of the antediluvian race, so at the end of the one thousand years he will call forth the fires in the earth as his weapons which he has reserved for the final destruction, not only of successive generations since the flood, but the antediluvian race who perished by the flood. {3SG 87.1}
When the flood of waters was at its height upon the earth, it had the appearance of a boundless lake of water. When God finally purifies the earth, it will appear like a boundless lake of fire. As God preserved the ark amid the commotions of the flood, because it contained eight righteous persons, he will preserve the New Jerusalem, containing the faithful of all ages, from righteous Abel down to the last saint which lived. Although the whole earth, with the exception of that portion where the city rests, will be wrapped in a sea of liquid fire, yet the city is preserved as was the ark, by a miracle of Almighty power. It stands unharmed amid the devouring elements. "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein shall be burned up." {3SG 87.2}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119580
09/21/09 03:50 PM
09/21/09 03:50 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
GC, has Tom misunderstood what you're saying? Are you saying God will engulf the wicked in fire and then keep them alive supernaturally so they can be punished in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness? Never mind, for the moment, that Tom said "for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days".

I don't have any idea what combination of the physical, emotional, or spiritual will cause some to suffer longer than others. I object to the use of "torture" because it would, in Ellen White's own words, present God as a cruel tyrant. God's punishments are not merely for the purpose of torturing hated enemies. They are for the purpose of recompense for sin.

That said, hell will by no means be a pleasant place. It will be a place of suffering. Mrs. White uses the term "suffer." Neither she, nor the Bible, elaborates on what the actual form or causation of the suffering is to be. Suffice it to say, we don't want to be there!

Mrs. White does say that the saints of God will participate in deciding the judgments for the lost sinners during the 1000 years in Heaven. This leads me to conclude that God will have a means of measuring the judgments to each of the lost, and that neither Satan, nor the lost themselves, will have any control over it.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
At the general conference of believers in the present truth, held at Sutton, Vermont, September, 1850, I was shown that the seven last plagues will be poured out after Jesus leaves the sanctuary. Said the angel, "It is the wrath of God and the Lamb that causes the destruction or death of the wicked. At the voice of God the saints will be mighty and terrible as an army with banners, but they will not then execute the judgment written. The execution of the judgment will be at the close of the one thousand years." {EW 52.1}
After the saints are changed to immortality and caught up together with Jesus, after they receive their harps, their robes, and their crowns, and enter the city, Jesus and the saints sit in judgment. The books are opened--the book of life and the book of death. The book of life contains the good deeds of the saints; and the book of death contains the evil deeds of the wicked. These books are compared with the statute book, the Bible, and according to that men are judged. The saints, in unison with Jesus, pass their judgment upon the wicked dead. "Behold ye," said the angel, "the saints, in unison with Jesus, sit in judgment, and mete out to the wicked according to the deeds done in the body, and that which they must receive at the execution of the judgment is set off against their names." This, I saw, was the work of the saints with Jesus through the one thousand years in the Holy City before it descends to the earth....{EW 52.2}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119589
09/21/09 06:32 PM
09/21/09 06:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
M: In the beginning the smallest sin would have caused A&E to suffer intense emotional agony ending in instant death. And yet you believe the wicked will somehow be able to suffer the combined emotional agony of millions of sins for many, many days without dying immediately. How is this physically possible?

T: As their lives are reviewed, their sins are revealed. They are made aware of the times when Jesus was calling them, but they didn't heed His voice, and so forth.

M: They are resurrected in their previous state of decay and disease. Their physical ability to endure emotional hardship is greatly diminished, if not nonexistent. Nevertheless, you believe they are capable of enduring unimaginable agony for many, many days without dying instantly. Do you think God works to keep them alive supernaturally so that they can suffer? If so, what does this say about God's character?

T: I don't think God does anything supernatural to enable the wicked to suffer. What they suffer is due to their own choice, not something God imposes upon them, nor does God act supernaturally to augment their capacity to suffer.

M:You didn't address my point. Since one tiny sin is enough to cause people to die instantly of emotional anguish, why do you think resurrected sinners are able to endure millions of major sins in their dilapidated state without dying instantly after encountering the first sin? Obviously their ability to suffer so will be unnatural. Not even Jesus was able to suffer so without supernatural aid. And He managed to suffer for every sin ever committed in just 6 hours. Why do you think it will take some sinners several days to suffer for their sins?

I don't agree with your assumptions here.

To address why I think some will suffer more than others, I think that some of sinned more than others, and have had more light, and that it is these things which causes their suffering. So those who have had more light and sinned more suffer more than those who have had less.

Quote:
GC, has Tom misunderstood what you're saying? Are you saying God will engulf the wicked in fire and then keep them alive supernaturally so they can be punished in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness? Never mind, for the moment, that Tom said "for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days".

If you look through this thread, you'll see that the overwhelming majority of the time I've written "for the purpose of causing them excruciating pain for many hours or many days." To my mind (and the dictionary definition of "torture") this is equivalent to "torture," but in difference to those who dislike this label, I've used the expression "for the purpose of causing them excruciating pain for many hours or many days." the vast majority of the time.

Quote:
PS - For the record, I haven't ruled out the idea that God will engulf the wicked with fire from above and from below and then keep them alive supernaturally so that they can be punished according to their sinfulness. Neither the Bible nor the SOP says so one way or the other. Both simply say literal fire will be present.

What I've said is "set them on fire." I'm talking about like a torch.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119590
09/21/09 06:37 PM
09/21/09 06:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The saints, in unison with Jesus, pass their judgment upon the wicked dead. "Behold ye," said the angel, "the saints, in unison with Jesus, sit in judgment, and mete out to the wicked according to the deeds done in the body, and that which they must receive at the execution of the judgment is set off against their names."

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. You interpret this to mean that you will be sitting on judgment on people, presumably people you know, so loved ones and friends, and deciding for how long a period they should be set on fire? So if you have, God forbid, some relative who is not among the blessed, your job will be to say, "I think my (fill in the blank; some family member or friend) should burn for X days"? And you're OK with this? And this is what you think God is like, that He would ask you to do something like this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119591
09/21/09 06:45 PM
09/21/09 06:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The real issue here hasn't been dealt with, and that's one regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?
Quote:
*This* is the idea (not that God "tortures") that I have asserted you are advocating. I've asserted this a number of times, and asked you repeatedly to correct it if it not accurate, and have commented that I hope it is not accurate, as I think it's a dreadful idea, but up to now you have made no comment. Do you now wish to do so? I hope you do. If this is misrepresenting your idea, please let me know in what way it is doing so, and I will glad stop characterizing it this way.

It appears to me that you are saying what you say you are not saying.

As I pointed out to MM, the vast majority of the time I've used the expression "to cause excruciating pain." To my mind, these are equivalent expressions (as the dictionary agrees with as well), but as you have taken issue with "torture" I've used this other expression the vast majority of the time.

Quote:
T:Regarding "torture," surely you can see the difference between spanking a child and setting it on fire.

R:Until you cease using the term "torture" in such a pejorative manner, I don't see a need to respond.

I'm sorry to have used "torture" in such a pejorative manner. I will try to use it in a less pejorative fashion.

Quote:
GC:Suffice it to say-- if you see hell as casting God as a tyrant, you have an incorrect view of both.

What I've been asking you, and so far have not gotten a response, as far as I can remember, is what the difference is between your view and the false representation of GC 535-536, which Ellen White terms "unceasing tortures" (her words, not mind) other than the time element. If there's no difference, then your view is the same as the "unceasing tortures" except that the acts which when they do not cease are termed "unceasing tortures" do not continue without ceasing.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119596
09/21/09 11:14 PM
09/21/09 11:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. You interpret this to mean that you will be sitting on judgment on people, presumably people you know, so loved ones and friends, and deciding for how long a period they should be set on fire? So if you have, God forbid, some relative who is not among the blessed, your job will be to say, "I think my (fill in the blank; some family member or friend) should burn for X days"? And you're OK with this? And this is what you think God is like, that He would ask you to do something like this?

Tom,

I must admit the way you put things was very funny. ROFL

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119597
09/21/09 11:23 PM
09/21/09 11:23 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
The saints, in unison with Jesus, pass their judgment upon the wicked dead. "Behold ye," said the angel, "the saints, in unison with Jesus, sit in judgment, and mete out to the wicked according to the deeds done in the body, and that which they must receive at the execution of the judgment is set off against their names."

Tom,

Let's consider a few facts here:

1) The wicked lost, during the 1000-years "millennium," are all dead.
2) Their probation has already closed, by God's own judgment, before this time period.
3) Ellen White tells us we saints, with Jesus, will judge them--and that this is to be our job during the 1000 years.
4) Mrs. White says this judgment that the saints and Jesus will perform is for the purpose of meting "out to the wicked according to the deeds done in the body, and that which they must receive at the execution of the judgment is set off against their names."
5) The words in that quote are angel's words. Mrs. White did not herself say this, but quoted an angel.

Do you have some other way of interpreting? Based on the facts here, it would appear to me that there is simply no other way to interpret.

God is fair. He executes the judgment against the wicked with a jury of their peers. This increases the fairness of the judgment.

I do not, however, believe that the saints will be in Heaven saying things like "Aha! This is my chance for revenge against that old enemy of mine!" No, indeed. The saints will be very humble about this, realizing how near they were themselves to such treatment, and also still being hurt that their loved ones are not there. The saints will certainly be merciful, for they have adopted Christ-like characters, and God is merciful.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119598
09/21/09 11:34 PM
09/21/09 11:34 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

The word "torture" has two forms: noun and verb. As a verb, anyone who does this is cruel. God is not cruel. As a noun, I might agree that this term can be applied to hell. Hell will be a place of intense suffering.

However, Ellen White was careful not to use "torture" at all in reference to the true depiction of hell. As her writings are inspired, I think it best to avoid the term as well.

Your usage of the word "torture" in this thread has frequently been the verb form, which casts God in the wrong light, and which is entirely untrue. For these reasons I have requested that you refrain from using this word.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119599
09/21/09 11:51 PM
09/21/09 11:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Now, regarding "torture," Tom, I don't see how the physical torture would make God seem cruel but the mental torture wouldn't - and you admit that there will be mental torture. I don't think that God will impose one and the other will be self-imposed. What applies to one must apply to the other.
And Mike's point is perfectly valid - how can the sins of some kill them "in a moment" while the sins of others will do so only after "many days"? If the idea of the wicked being kept supernaturally alive applies to the physical suffering, it also applies to the mental suffering.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119600
09/22/09 12:17 AM
09/22/09 12:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The word "torture" has two forms: noun and verb. As a verb, anyone who does this is cruel. God is not cruel. As a noun, I might agree that this term can be applied to hell. Hell will be a place of intense suffering.

Ok, let's try that then. I'll use the noun form. I've asked you if there's any difference between your view, and the one EGW describes as "unceasing tortures" other than the time element. If not, the phrase "tortures which cease" would seem to be accurate, given what you've said so far. Do you agree?

Quote:
However, Ellen White was careful not to use "torture" at all in reference to the true depiction of hell.

Yes, indeed! Do you think the reason could be that there's actually a difference between the true view and the false other than the time element? That possibility immediately jumps to mind.

Quote:
GC:As her writings are inspired, I think it best to avoid the term as well.

I think it's best to understand why she didn't use the term, rather than just avoid using it because she didn't.

Quote:
GC:Your usage of the word "torture" in this thread has frequently been the verb form, which casts God in the wrong light, and which is entirely untrue. For these reasons I have requested that you refrain from using this word.

Please help me understand this. Saying that God will set people on fire for the purpose of causing the excruciating pain does not cast God in the wrong light? But saying that God tortures someone does? Why should this be the case?

This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'll abide by your wishes. I'll write out the phrase as "God's setting people on fire for the purpose of causing the excruciating pain." You haven't complained about this phrase, although I've used it a lot (far more frequently that "torture").

Page 9 of 105 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!