HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 105 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Rosangela] #119670
09/23/09 01:55 PM
09/23/09 01:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: The wicked suffer and die as a result of their own choice, not as a result of something God imposes upon them, either mentally or physically.

R:Well, it seems to me God “imposes” the judgment upon them – in the sense that they *have to* face their acts, although they would prefer not to face them.

T: GC 541-543 says the judgment is for their own benefit, and God uses the principles of kindness, mercy and love.

R:They have no option as to whether to face the judgment, and God knows that the judgment will bring them terrible suffering.

According to GC 541-543, the judgment is for their own benefit, and God uses the principles of kindness, mercy and love.

Quote:
R: More and graver sins mean more suffering, and this would hasten death, not delay it – since the death is caused by the suffering.

T: Why do you think the death is caused by suffering?

R:It isn't?

I asked why you think this.

Quote:
R:The mental suffering caused Jesus' death and Ellen White says clearly in the quotes I posted that the sense of condemnation, the sense of God's wrath against sin, will destroy both the soul and the body of the wicked. Besides, if they aren't going to die because of a literal fire, how are they going to die?

Did the suffering cause the death, or did the same thing that caused the suffering cause the death?

Quote:
R: We know there will be external fire, but I’m not sure at which point it will act. Maybe after the internal fire has done its work. I used to think that they would act simultaneously, but I’m no longer sure about this.

T: Given the evidence, it doesn't make sense that God would set people on fire to make them suffer.

R:I wasn't thinking about people being set on fire by God, but more in terms of what MM said, that is, the fire being simply the natural result of sinful flesh being exposed to God's glory.

The idea that I'm most interested in is whether the wicked will be set on fire, like a torch, or Molotov cocktail, screaming in agony, supernaturally kept alive so they can excruciating pain can continue, in order to make them pay for their sins.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Rosangela] #119680
09/23/09 04:33 PM
09/23/09 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Do you think the wicked will be physically able to suffer for the millions of sins they committed without supernatural aid to sustain them (like God had to with Jesus)? Please elaborate.

T: No, I think they'll die.

I don't understand how your answer addresses my question. Do you think the resurrected wicked will be physically able to survive the accumulating emotional agony of millions of sins without dying before they pay for all their sins? If so, do you think they will need supernatural assistance? If not, why not? Please elaborate.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119682
09/23/09 04:47 PM
09/23/09 04:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
R: I wasn't thinking about people being set on fire by God, but more in terms of what MM said, that is, the fire being simply the natural result of sinful flesh being exposed to God's glory.

T: The idea that I'm most interested in is whether the wicked will be set on fire, like a torch, or Molotov cocktail, screaming in agony, supernaturally kept alive so they can excruciating pain can continue, in order to make them pay for their sins.

Which is worse in your mind, Tom? That is, God setting sinners on fire and keeping them alive supernaturally so they can pay for all their sins? Or, God exposing sinners to His unveiled presence so that they can suffer for all their sins?

BTW, you haven't explained how the wicked will be able to physically survive the unveiled presence of God long enough to pay for all their sins. What will prevent them from dying immediately rather than suffering for many hours or many days?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119686
09/23/09 06:39 PM
09/23/09 06:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Do you think the wicked will be physically able to suffer for the millions of sins they committed without supernatural aid to sustain them (like God had to with Jesus)? Please elaborate.

T: No, I think they'll die.

M:I don't understand how your answer addresses my question. Do you think the resurrected wicked will be physically able to survive the accumulating emotional agony of millions of sins without dying before they pay for all their sins? If so, do you think they will need supernatural assistance? If not, why not? Please elaborate.

I don't think you're thinking of this in the right way. I think the judgment will reveal reality to the wicked. What is revealed will include their sins, the times they turned away from Christ, and so forth. They will see their life as it really was, and what they see will cause them suffering depending upon how much light they have had and what they have done.

Quote:
M:Which is worse in your mind, Tom? That is, God setting sinners on fire and keeping them alive supernaturally so they can pay for all their sins? Or, God exposing sinners to His unveiled presence so that they can suffer for all their sins?

I think these are two bad ideas you have. Why does it matter which bad idea is worse than the other?

Quote:
BTW, you haven't explained how the wicked will be able to physically survive the unveiled presence of God long enough to pay for all their sins. What will prevent them from dying immediately rather than suffering for many hours or many days?

I don't think this is looking at things in the right way, as I explained above. Consider the following:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation
Page 543
were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542, 543)

This tells us that heaven would be torture for the wicked. The judgment reveals reality to the wicked. They recognize this, and voluntarily choose to be excluded from heaven. Before making this decision, there is suffering involved, in proportion to the light they have had and the sin they have committed, as reality is made clear to them.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119691
09/23/09 08:58 PM
09/23/09 08:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Before making this decision, there is suffering involved, in proportion to the light they have had and the sin they have committed, as reality is made clear to them.

Ellen White says,

"They suffer punishment varying in duration and intensity, 'according to their works,' but finally ending in the second death." {GC 544.2}

Is this how you see things? Notice she mentions the "duration" of the punishment, and in GC 673.1 she says,

"Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days."

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Rosangela] #119693
09/23/09 09:54 PM
09/23/09 09:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, I believe the wicked will suffer in proportion to their sin, and the light they've had. I don't think this is an imposed or arbitrary punishment, but the result of the judgment. That is, the revelation of the truth causes "weeping and gnashing of teeth." The wicked realize the sins they've committed, in their true bearing, as well as what they've lost. Those who have had greater light will realize this more clearly, and thus suffer more.

I think the intensity is a key point. It's not that God has some fires which are turned up hotter than for others, but the suffering varies in intensity according to the light a person has had.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119696
09/23/09 10:51 PM
09/23/09 10:51 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I think the judgment will reveal reality to the wicked. What is revealed will include their sins, the times they turned away from Christ, and so forth. They will see their life as it really was, and what they see will cause them suffering depending upon how much light they have had and what they have done.

How does that apply to the "supernaturally alive to suffer" concept? The reality of the lost is that they have separated themselves from the Source of life; hence, they die. But how can they stay alive to suffer this revelation of reality, some of them for days, while apart from God, the Source of life? Are they kept alive by their own, innate "life force" (even though they have already been dead for a thousand years)? Or are they kept alive by God?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119697
09/23/09 10:58 PM
09/23/09 10:58 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Yes, I believe the wicked will suffer in proportion to their sin, and the light they've had. I don't think this is an imposed or arbitrary punishment, but the result of the judgment.

But how are they alive, after being dead for a thousand years, in order to "suffer in proportion to their sin"? By what power do they have life?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #119698
09/23/09 11:55 PM
09/23/09 11:55 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Yes, I believe the wicked will suffer in proportion to their sin, and the light they've had. I don't think this is an imposed or arbitrary punishment, but the result of the judgment. That is, the revelation of the truth causes "weeping and gnashing of teeth." The wicked realize the sins they've committed, in their true bearing, as well as what they've lost. Those who have had greater light will realize this more clearly, and thus suffer more.

I think the intensity is a key point. It's not that God has some fires which are turned up hotter than for others, but the suffering varies in intensity according to the light a person has had.

Now you sound like you're saying what some of us have been saying all along. But you claimed to us that this was "torture" or "excruciating pain" and that it was unlike God because of its duration. Yet you also believe in the longer durations the same as I?

(Shaking my head.)

I think the REAL difference in your view and mine comes down to this: you do not believe that sin is so bad. It is not "exceedingly" evil, and therefore neither deserves a severe punishment, nor receives such.

Additionally, you appear to see Inspiration as being incorrect in one point. When God is said to have mercy, there are balancing statements which say His wrath will be "unmixed with mercy." Yet you believe this is false, right? You believe God will still have mercy, am I right?

While I believe in mercy, and that God is merciful, there is nothing in the text to indicate His wrath will be lessened on account of mercy. The punishment will be what was deserved, not some comfortable, painless death. Neither will God be a tyrant. The punishment will not exceed what was deserved, as if dealt in a spiteful spirit.

The following deals with the final plagues: "They will drink the cup of his wrath, unmixed with mercy." {CTBH 155.2}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119699
09/24/09 12:37 AM
09/24/09 12:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Yes, I believe the wicked will suffer in proportion to their sin, and the light they've had. I don't think this is an imposed or arbitrary punishment, but the result of the judgment. That is, the revelation of the truth causes "weeping and gnashing of teeth." The wicked realize the sins they've committed, in their true bearing, as well as what they've lost. Those who have had greater light will realize this more clearly, and thus suffer more.

GC:Now you sound like you're saying what some of us have been saying all along. But you claimed to us that this was "torture" or "excruciating pain" and that it was unlike God because of its duration. Yet you also believe in the longer durations the same as I?

I didn't claim, I asked. I've asked for clarification. Over and over I've asked if you believe God will set people on fire for the purpose of causing them excruciating pain. If this isn't what you think, please just answer my question, and clarify.

Regarding the suffering being of different durations, I've said repeatedly that the wicked suffering according to their sin, and the light they've had. Clearly this isn't the same for every individual.

Quote:
GC:(Shaking my head.)

What's up with this? Where have I said even one thing to indicate I would think the suffering of the wicked would be the same for all?

Quote:
GC:I think the REAL difference in your view and mine comes down to this: you do not believe that sin is so bad.

I would say the reverse. You see sin as basically innocuous of itself, meaning that God must kill those who practice it, since it doesn't have the power do destroy itself.

Quote:
GC:It is not "exceedingly" evil, and therefore neither deserves a severe punishment, nor receives such.

On the contrary, because it is exceeding evil, it does not need artificially imposed sanctions against those who practice it.

Quote:
GC:Additionally, you appear to see Inspiration as being incorrect in one point. When God is said to have mercy, there are balancing statements which say His wrath will be "unmixed with mercy." Yet you believe this is false, right? You believe God will still have mercy, am I right?

This object applies as much to your view as mine. You don't believe God is merciful, so therefore you disagree with inspiration on this point (that the principles of kindness, mercy, and love are involved in the judgment).

Certainly setting someone on fire is not kind.

Also, you seem to disagree on another point, which is that the judgment is for the benefit of the wicked. I don't see how your view harmonizes with this.

Quote:
GC:While I believe in mercy, and that God is merciful, there is nothing in the text to indicate His wrath will be lessened on account of mercy.

I just quoted from Ellen White, who said the principles of kindness, mercy and judgment will be exercised. I didn't say anything beyond this regarding mercy.

Quote:
GC:The punishment will be what was deserved, not some comfortable, painless death. Neither will God be a tyrant. The punishment will not exceed what was deserved, as if dealt in a spiteful spirit.

Your idea is that the punishment will be setting them on fire, like a torch, right? Why would this be deserved? Wouldn't some other more human means of punishment be possible? Is this how you would punish someone? Is it your view that the reason you wouldn't do this (assuming you wouldn't) but God does is because He is greater than you are?

Quote:
The following deals with the final plagues: "They will drink the cup of his wrath, unmixed with mercy." {CTBH 155.2}

Again, GC, all I did was quote from GC 542. I don't know why you're taking issue with what I said, regarding mercy, given all I did was quote from here.

Page 12 of 105 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!