HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 105 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120073
10/04/09 03:31 AM
10/04/09 03:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC:If you choose to believe that "all that man can know" was revealed by Jesus, AND that "He did not make new revelations to men," then it necessarily follows that "all that man can know" is contained in the Old Testament scriptures.

A:That is a sound argument.

I anticipated this argument in saying:

Quote:
Even if it were true that Christ revealed nothing new, it would still be the case that all that man can know was revealed in the life and character of His Son in the flesh.

Also, if you look at EGW's statement, she points out that while the truths were present in the OT, they had been obscured. DA 22 brings out that the earth was dark with misunderstanding regarding God's character, and Christ came to lighten the gloomy shadows that had been case.

I find the resistance to the idea that all that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Son while in His humanity to be a bit perplexing. Realizing this truth was a life-changing experience for me.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120074
10/04/09 03:33 AM
10/04/09 03:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No, I do not believe what you posted. I believe God will rain down fire from above and raise up fire from below. The wicked will suffer in this environment.

Here's what I posted:

Quote:
TE - When the wicked are resurrected, God will cast them into a lake of fire, something like molten lava, which He will keep them supernaturally alive to suffer by being scalded, or boiled, until they pay by physical suffering for each sin they have committed. The righteous who witness this will be rejoice to see this happen, even when it involves their children or other loved ones. Holy angels who witness the suffering of the wicked will rejoice. God will rejoice in the suffering of our loved ones.

MM - Correct.

So when you say you disagree with this, you're disagreeing with yourself, right? That is, the "correct" should be "incorrect." So you no longer agree with what you thought a couple of years ago? This is what I'm trying to clarify.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120075
10/04/09 03:52 AM
10/04/09 03:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MountainMan
Nothing you have written so far (please repost it if I’ve missed it) explains why you think the wicked are physically able to suffer emotional agony for millions of sins, one at a time, without dying after revisiting the first sin. Also, which aspects of this statement do you disagree with and why?

Why should they die after revisiting the first sin?

Quote:
M: Also, what effect do you think the presence of God will play in the agony the wicked experience at the end of time?

T: "His very presence is to them a consuming fire." "A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire."

M: Why do you think the presence of God will cause the wicked to experience agony? How will it cause them to feel agony? And, what will be the end result of their agony? Do you think it is a comprehension of His character that will cause them to suffer and die?

T: Here is a passage which speaks to your questions:

M:Reposting the same quote wasn’t helpful, Tom. I understand the who (God) and the what (the consuming fire of His glory and presence); what I don’t understand is the how and the why. That is, why do you think His presence will cause the wicked to suffer? And, how does His presence cause them to suffer?

For the reasons pointed out here:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

Hopefully this isn't the same passage. The revelation of the beauty of God's character simultaneously reveals the ugliness of their own. You mentioned knowing Ty Gibson. Do you have his book, "See With New Eyes"? He explains the concept in detail there. If you have the book, I can tell you the page numbers.

Quote:
Do you think it is a comprehension of His character that will cause them to suffer and die? If so, how and why?

Certainly it will cause them to suffer. In the DA 108 passage I cited, it says it "slays" the wicked, so it seems to be involved in their death as well, although I'd say it's not so much the comprehension of God's character, but their own, although seeing God's character is what brings to light their own. Again, I'd refer you to Ty Gibson's book, if you have it.

Quote:
M: What do you think the inevitable result of sin is?

T: I've cited the following many times: “At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

The inevitable result of sin is death.

M:I’m talking about the suffering that precedes death. As you know, death is the end of the results of sin. It is relief from the results of sin.

I didn't understand this. The inevitable result of sin is death is what I was trying to say. Or, to put it another way, sin results in death. (like smoking can result in cancer, for example).

Quote:
That sin doesn’t cause sinners to die is evident from the fact evil angels have been alive for more than 6,000 years in a sinful state.

According to the SOP, the only reason man didn't die right away is because God intervened, so this argument doesn't work. If God intervened to prevent man's death, He could have intervened to prevent Satan's death, and the death of His followers. DA 764 explains that God did this very thing, and explains why. Two reasons are given. One is that had God allowed Satan to die, his death would have been misunderstood as something God had caused to happen, as opposed to being the inevitable result of sin. The second reason is that time must be given for Satan to develop the principles of his government.

Regarding why sin doesn't cause sinners to suffer in the way they will suffering the final judgment, they are not being judged now. In the judgment, Jesus Christ is revealed to each unrighteous person. The events of His life, the bearing that has on each one, their own lives, where they stepped away from truth, etc., will all be revealed.

Quote:
1. Why do you think the grace of Christ prevents sinners from suffering and dying the moment they sin?

"God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles." (DA 764) If people died when they first sinned, they wouldn't have time to develop character.

Quote:
2. Do you think the grace of Christ prevents evil angels from suffering and dying?

Clearly something does, as DA 764 explains. Probably "grace" is not the best thing to call it.

Quote:
If not, what do you think prevents them from suffering and dying the moment they sin?

God does. I pointed out two reasons why above.

Quote:
3. Why do you think the wicked are capable of comprehending the character of God in a way that causes them to suffer and die?

Because they were created in the image of God. Remember that some are not resurrected, so not all are capable.

Quote:
4. Why do you think Jesus’ character didn’t cause sinners to suffer and die while He was here in the flesh?

They were able to leave His presence.

Quote:
5. Do you think sinners would suffer and die without the presence of God? If so, how and why?

I'm not sure what you mean by the presence of God. Without God everyone would die, whether sinners or not. Why? Because God is life, and all life comes from Him.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120076
10/04/09 04:08 AM
10/04/09 04:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
T:Where we differ is that I believe that Christ, in His humanity, revealed all that man needs to know, or can know, of God, and you don't.

A:Maybe. Maybe not.

Clearly we disagree on this point. I believe this is true, and you don't.

Quote:
I allow for the possibility that Jesus revealed things about God in His pre-incarnate days that He did not replicate during His 33 years here. You don't allow for that. Right?

No, this is wrong, which I've explained several dozen times in this thread. That Jesus Christ did reveal all that, by man, can be known of God in the flesh does not mean that He did not reveal things about God either before or after this period of time. I don't understand why there is such difficulty in grasping this point.

Quote:
But there is something else that differentiates our views. Even if Jesus did reveal everything we can know about God during His 33 years here, I allow for the possibility that I might not know about everything that He did during His 33 years here.

You can know what was revealed, which is what the quote is talking about.

Quote:
And more importantly, I might not understand everything that He did during His 33 years here.

This is a better point. It's true, you might misunderstand something Jesus Christ revealed in the flesh. And so you could go to some other revelation of the same point to some other source to try to understand what Jesus Christ revealed.

Ty Gibson wrote:

Quote:
In Christ alone do we encounter God with perfect clarity. All other media are dim at best and completely distorted at worst. (See With New Eyes)

I believe the revelation of Jesus Christ while in His humanity is the clearest revelation of God, by far. In the OT, God was constrained by the hardness of the hearts of the Israelites. Much of what happened was not God's ideal will, so you have to strip away that which God did because that's what He would have wanted to do anyway, because that's the way He is, from what He did because He was constrained by circumstances. That's a much more difficult process than simply drinking from the living fountain which is Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Therefore, I consider the 4,000 years of inspired revelation that He gave about Himself before His incarnation as a valuable resource in understanding what He did during His incarnation.

I think this is much more likely to confuse than enlighten, and think it has. I think considering Christ afresh would be helpful.

Quote:
In contrast, you seem willing to discount clear passages of Scripture and SOP that seem to contradict your understanding of what He did during His 33 years here. I do not trust my understanding that much; I would rather trust a "Thus saith the Lord," even if He didn't say it while wearing sandals.

The SOP tells us that Christ came to lighten the world of the misunderstandings of God's character. He is the word of God, God's thought made audible. I find the following (I'll post in a separate post, because it's a bit long) to be in harmony with the points Ellen White makes.

The whole purpose of Christ's earthly mission was the revelation of God. It would be good for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day meditating on the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120077
10/04/09 04:09 AM
10/04/09 04:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is the foundation of all sin: the lie that God is untrustworthy, the lie that God is not altogether loving and that He doesn't have our best interests in mind. Adam and Eve came under the grip of this deceptive picture of God. At that moment they stopped trusting God as their source of life. Consequently, they saw themselves as deficient...

A faulty picture of God led to an ungodly evaluation that in turn brought about a rebellious action...The lie created an emptiness as well as the futile and rebellious means of filling it. A false concept of God, and therefore of herself, gave birth to sinful behavior, which in turn brought about spiritual and physical death (see Jas 1:14-16)...

Just as the foundation of all that separates us from God is a false picture of God, so too the foundation of all that restores our innocent communication iwth God is a true picture of God. So everything hangs on the question, Where do we find the true picture of God? The answer that the Bible unequivocally and emphatically gives is Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the truth that dispels the serpent's lie...

When God thinks, John is saying, it is Jesus. And when God expresses Himself, it is Jesus...wherever and whenever God thinks and expresses Himself, it is Jesus Christ.

Moreover, it has been this way throughout eternity...

This means that in knowing, we are not knowing someone "one step removed" from God. in knowing Jesus we are knowing God Himself, God in His eternal essence. In seeing Jesus, we are seeing the very heart of God...

Whereas the enemy covered up the true God in a veil of deceptive darkness that brought death, Jesus turns the light on so we can see who God really is. In doing this, Jesus gives life...

Only the revelation of God in Christ completely dispels all forms of the lie we have been deceived into believing. When our picture of God is built on any foundation other than Jesus Christ...we will be vulnerable to believing a lie about God... We will embrace a god that is consistent with our jaded presuppositions and fallible expectations, which keep us in bondage to the serpent's lie. Our understanding of God, ourselves, suffering and every other aspect of creation will be to some extent corrupted...

Idolatry takes place when we don't allow God to define Himself for us in Christ but rather embrace a picture of God on the basis of our life experiences, philosophical speculations or non-Christ-centered interpretations of Scripture...

All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ...

Christ was not an innocent third party who was punished against His will to apease the Father's wrath...Hence His sacrifice does not appease God's wrath; it reveals God's love.... In the crucified Christ the truth about God, about us and about the world is most perfectly revealed. For the cross is where reconciliation between God and the world is accomplished...

Under the impact of the primordial deception, the "natural mind" does not expect the omnipotent Creator to like like this...

The most fundamental distinguishing characteristic of every false picture of God is that it qualifies and compromises the truth about God's love. The most fundamental distinguishing characteristic of the true God is that the love He is and the love He gives is unsurpassable. A greater love simply cannot be conceived.

The love that God eternally is, is manifested in the love that God gives. And the love God gives is displayed most perfectly on the cross. (Is God be Blame? by Greg Boyd)

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120083
10/04/09 01:27 PM
10/04/09 01:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This is the foundation of all sin: the lie that God is untrustworthy, the lie that God is not altogether loving and that He doesn't have our best interests in mind.

Tom,

You haven't answered Arnold's question in the thread "The Great Contoversy" and, as I'm also interested in knowing your position about this, I'm reposting it here:

Quote:
So you believe that, to this day, Satan still DOES NOT know that he is wrong and God is right. Correct?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Rosangela] #120086
10/04/09 03:48 PM
10/04/09 03:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
see following post.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Rosangela] #120087
10/04/09 03:52 PM
10/04/09 03:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
As I recall, I posted the following:

Quote:
Unselfishness, the principle of God's kingdom, is the principle that Satan hates; its very existence he denies. From the beginning of the great controversy he has endeavored to prove God's principles of action to be selfish, and he deals in the same way with all who serve God. To disprove Satan's claim is the work of Christ and of all who bear His name.(Ed. 154)

So on the basis of my quoting this, Arnold asked me if I believe that Satan still does not know he is wrong.

I suppose that depends upon whether one thinks Satan's denial of the existence is real or not, or just a pretense. From my reading of Ed. 154, it sounded to me like EGW was conveying the thought that Satan is serious.

I should add that the question, as Arnold posed it, assumes quite a bit. It assumes that Satan did not know he was wrong, and continues not knowing he was wrong. It's possible that Satan was at one time convinced he was wrong, and then later came to believe his own lies. The SOP says quite a bit about this (being careful with what we say, as it impacts us, and we may come to defend or believe what we said, even if we didn't really mean it when we said it).

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120092
10/04/09 04:29 PM
10/04/09 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I find the resistance to the idea that all that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Son while in His humanity to be a bit perplexing. Realizing this truth was a life-changing experience for me.

Tom, I'm glad it changed your life. It is not my intention to take that away from you. All I'm saying is that Jesus revealed what we need to know about God through His actions and teachings. At one point it seemed we were agreement. Now it seems like we are at odds.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120093
10/04/09 04:36 PM
10/04/09 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: No, I do not believe what you posted. I believe God will rain down fire from above and raise up fire from below. The wicked will suffer in this environment.

T: So when you say you disagree with this, you're disagreeing with yourself, right? That is, the "correct" should be "incorrect." So you no longer agree with what you thought a couple of years ago? This is what I'm trying to clarify.

Your clarification is correct. More importantly, though, is what I do believe - "I believe God will rain down fire from above and raise up fire from below. The wicked will suffer in this environment." In addition to this, the radiant firelight of God's glorious presence will contribute to their suffering and death.

Page 19 of 105 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!