HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 105 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #120637
10/18/09 04:20 PM
10/18/09 04:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cocha
Your methodology surprises me. You tell us we should read Ty's quotation with context while repeatedly quoting a certain sentence from Ellen White apart from its context.

I always pay attention to context. What sentence did you have in mind?

Quote:
If we are going to play fair here, it would seem that either we should be allowed to do as you do, or you should conform to the same standards of context that we prefer. I suggest we use context for both...deal?

I always pay attention to context. I suggest others do the same.

Quote:
Sinners do have a choice about avoiding the consequences, as you have said. But I believe that occurs in a time period which we are not here discussing! (Again, "context the problem" as the Chinese would phrase it.)

I don't know what you're referencing.

Quote:
EGW:We have reason for ceaseless gratitude to God that Christ, by His perfect obedience, has won back the heaven that Adam lost through disobedience. Adam sinned, and the children of Adam share his guilt and its consequences; but Jesus bore the guilt of Adam, and all the children of Adam that will flee to Christ, the second Adam, may escape the penalty of transgression.

GC:This implies that those who do not "flee to Christ" have no escape from the consequences of their sins, would you agree?

Yes. The following expresses a similar thought.

Quote:
God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. (DA 756)

Quote:
Yet perhaps I need to ask the question thus: "Do you believe the sinners have made their final choice, and that their probation has already been shut, when they are raised in the second resurrection?"

Yes, but not as an arbitrarily decree, but by virtue of the fact that they have set their characters.

Quote:

After the second resurrection, do sinners still have a choice? Can they who are lost then confess and avert their judgment? Do they have a choice then?

Yes. God does not take away anyone's power of choice.

Quote:
(God) would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will?

Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests?

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542-543)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120640
10/18/09 04:38 PM
10/18/09 04:38 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
After the second resurrection, do sinners still have a choice? Can they who are lost then confess and avert their judgment? Do they have a choice then?

Yes. God does not take away anyone's power of choice.

Hmmmm.....

After the second resurrection, Tom? They can still avert their judgment even then?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120643
10/18/09 04:59 PM
10/18/09 04:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: "The striking contrast will burn with an internal fire hotter and more terrible than any literal flame upon the flesh." Ty said absolutely nothing about experiencing suffering that exceeds being burned alive.

M: This description leads me to conclude the wicked will suffer more than if they were burned alive. Do you agree?

T: As has been repeatedly explained, no. It doesn't appear to me that you're really wanting to understand what Ty said. Why would you quote just this one sentence? If you look at the paragraph (or at least the previous sentence!), it should be clear what Ty's point is.

M:The only thing I know is you disagree with my statement. I still have no idea what you believe. Do you think the hotter and more terrible internal fire will cause less physical pain and mental agony than if they were literally lit on fire?

I already commented on this. I suggest you reread what I wrote. If you have any questions on it, you can ask me. To answer the physical pain part of the question, I can't think of anything that would cause less physical pain than being set on fire. I think on a scale of 1 to 100, that would score 100.

Quote:
M: Do you think the pain and agony you describe will happen if God were to remain absent or continue to veil the light of His glory?

T: What do you mean "remain absent"? Was God absent previously? By the "light of His glory" do you mean "the truth of His character"?

M: Do you think God's physical presence is necessary for resurrected sinners to experience the pain and agony you describe? If not, why not?

T: What do you mean by "physical presence"? As I've repeatedly explained, I believe the issue is primarily spiritual, not physical.

M:Do you believe God is a physical being?

What do you mean by this? I'm not aware of any inspired statement saying this. Do you know of one?

Quote:
M:If so, do believe He must be physically present (as opposed to physically somewhere else out of sight) for resurrected sinners to experience the physical pain and mental agony you describe?

I don't think being physically out of sight or not is the important thing. Consider how blind people are judged, and this should become apparent.

Quote:
M: Or, is the presence of the light of the glory of God necessary for them to suffer and to die?

T: In regards to suffering, clearly not, since people suffer now.

M: Will sinners in judgment suffer for the same reasons we suffer now?

T: This isn't a well phrased question, IMO. I'll answer "sometimes," and leave it at that for now.

M:Do sinners suffer now for the same reasons resurrected sinners will suffer in judgment (referring to the physical pain and mental agony you describe)? If not, why not. What makes the difference?

The reasons are similar, or can be.

Quote:
Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father's wrath upon Him as man's substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God. (DA 753)

Christ felt the anguish the sinner will feel. By studying what He suffered, we can learn of the suffering of the lost in the judgment.

Quote:
“. . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. . . the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love”. I agree. God will destroy sinners and thereby exterminate sin.

It sounds like you're disagreeing.

Quote:
But this quote doesn’t explain the mechanics.

Perhaps it's not important that we know more than what's been revealed.

Quote:
It doesn’t describe how the light of God’s glory will destroy them. Ty says comprehending the contrast between their sins and God’s character, as He forces them to revisit their sins, will cause them to experience unimaginable suffering. But he comes short of saying it will cause them to die. He leaves it hanging, unanswered. I believe the radiant firelight of God will cause them to suffer and to die. What do you believe? Do you think they will die of heart failure caused by mental agony (takotsubo cardiomyopathy)? If not, what do you believe? None of the quotes you have posted answer this question.

Again, perhaps it's not important that we know more than what's been revealed.

Quote:
1. If God chose not to resurrect them they wouldn't suffer and die.

If you mean this in a non-trivial way, I disagree (by non-trivial, I mean that this is implying that it is God's desire or purpose that the wicked suffer and die.)

Quote:
2. If He chose not to make them revisit their sins in judgment they wouldn't suffer and die.

I disagree with this. As the SOP points out, wherever there is sin, it's inevitable that suffering and death will be present as well.

Quote:
3. If He chose to "veil His glory" (see quote below) they wouldn't suffer and die.

I disagree for the same reason.

Quote:
4. If He chose to allow them access to the tree of life they wouldn't suffer and die.

I disagree for the same reason.

Quote:
"But the only way in which He could reach men was to veil His glory by a garb of humanity. The angels beheld the hiding of His glory, that divinity might touch humanity. {7BC 904.3}

I agree with this.

Quote:
PS - If "glory" only refers to character, how did Jesus' humanity hide it?

No finite being could take in a full revelation of God, so God reveals Himself in a way that finite beings can behold Him.

Quote:
Tom, please explain why you agree or disagree with the statements above. Thank you.

I did so above. Of course, it's trivially true that the wicked could not experience anything if they were not resurrected, so if that's you're only point, I would agree that the wicked could not experience anything (thoughts, feelings, emotions) if they continued in an unconscious state, but I disagree with your statements if there's any implication that God has any desire or purpose in resurrecting them that they suffer and die.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120651
10/18/09 07:54 PM
10/18/09 07:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Do you think the hotter and more terrible internal fire will cause less physical pain and mental agony than if they were literally lit on fire?

T: I already commented on this. I suggest you reread what I wrote. If you have any questions on it, you can ask me. To answer the physical pain part of the question, I can't think of anything that would cause less physical pain than being set on fire. I think on a scale of 1 to 100, that would score 100.

I did read what you wrote. It didn’t understand how it answers my question. I need clarification. Just now you answered part of it by saying it will cause less physical pain than being set on fire.

Quote:
M: Do you think God's physical presence is necessary for resurrected sinners to experience the pain and agony you describe? If not, why not?

T: What do you mean by "physical presence"? As I've repeatedly explained, I believe the issue is primarily spiritual, not physical.

M: Do you believe God is a physical being?

T: What do you mean by this? I'm not aware of any inspired statement saying this. Do you know of one?

Ellen wrote: “The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist." {EW 54.2}

1. The Father has a physical form.
2. His form causes sinners to cease to exist.

Quote:
M: If so, do believe He must be physically present (as opposed to physically somewhere else out of sight) for resurrected sinners to experience the physical pain and mental agony you describe?

T: I don't think being physically out of sight or not is the important thing. Consider how blind people are judged, and this should become apparent.

You didn’t answer the question. Also, how do you know they are resurrected without all five senses?

Quote:
M: Do sinners suffer now for the same reasons resurrected sinners will suffer in judgment (referring to the physical pain and mental agony you describe)? If not, why not. What makes the difference?

T: The reasons are similar, or can be.

In what sense are they similar?

Quote:
“. . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. . . the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love”. I agree. God will destroy sinners and thereby exterminate sin.

T: It sounds like you're disagreeing.

The presence of His glory will destroy them. What is it about His form and presence that will cause the wicked to suffer and to die? I believe the light He radiates is what will cause them to suffer and to die.

Quote:
M: But this quote doesn’t explain the mechanics. It doesn’t describe how the light of God’s glory will destroy them.

T: Perhaps it's not important that we know more than what's been revealed.

The light He radiates will cause them to suffer and to die. That much has been clearly revealed. No doubt it will be similar to the following description:

"The Lord cometh out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain." Isaiah 26:21. "And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth. And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the Lord shall be among them; and they shall lay hold everyone on the hand of his neighbor, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbor." Zechariah 14:12, 13. In the mad strife of their own fierce passions, and by the awful outpouring of God's unmingled wrath, fall the wicked inhabitants of the earth--priests, rulers, and people, rich and poor, high and low. "And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried." Jeremiah 25:33. {GC 656.3}

Quote:
M: Ty says comprehending the contrast between their sins and God’s character, as He forces them to revisit their sins, will cause them to experience unimaginable suffering. But he comes short of saying it will cause them to die. He leaves it hanging, unanswered.

T: Again, perhaps it's not important that we know more than what's been revealed.

Do you agree Ty doesn’t explain what causes the wicked to die?

Quote:

T: If you mean this in a non-trivial way, I disagree (by non-trivial, I mean that this is implying that it is God's desire or purpose that the wicked suffer and die.)

Isn’t it obvious, Tom, that if God chose not to resurrect the wicked they wouldn't suffer and die as you describe? It’s not a trick statement. It simply states the obvious. Sometimes it’s important to state the obvious.

Quote:
2. If He chose not to make them revisit their sins in judgment they wouldn't suffer and die.

T: I disagree with this. As the SOP points out, wherever there is sin, it's inevitable that suffering and death will be present as well.

You left out a critical part of the equation, namely, the presence of God. “To sin, wherever found, God is a consuming fire. If you choose sin, and refuse to separate from it, the presence of God, which consumes sin, must consume you.”

Also, how do you explain the fact the wicked do not suffer and die immediately after they are resurrected? Who or what prevents it? And, why don’t they die immediately after they finish revisiting their last sin? Who or what prevents it? They live on long afterward to fight among themselves.

Quote:
3. If He chose to "veil His glory" (see quote below) they wouldn't suffer and die.

"But the only way in which He could reach men was to veil His glory by a garb of humanity. The angels beheld the hiding of His glory, that divinity might touch humanity. {7BC 904.3}

T: I disagree for the same reason.

What “glory” did Jesus “veil” with humanity? And, if He chose not to hide it what would happen to sinners?

Quote:
4. If He chose to allow them access to the tree of life they wouldn't suffer and die.

The tree of life perpetuates life. God barred access to it to prevent the existence of immortal sinners. Said the angel: "Not one of Adam's family has passed that flaming sword and partaken of that tree; therefore there is not an immortal sinner.” {EW 51.2}

Quote:
M: If "glory" only refers to character, how did Jesus' humanity hide it?

T: No finite being could take in a full revelation of God, so God reveals Himself in a way that finite beings can behold Him.

How did Jesus prevent His character from slaying or destroying sinners while He was here in the flesh?

Quote:
M: Tom, please explain why you agree or disagree with the statements above. Thank you.

T: Of course, it's trivially true that the wicked could not experience anything if they were not resurrected, so if that's you're only point, I would agree that the wicked could not experience anything (thoughts, feelings, emotions) if they continued in an unconscious state, but I disagree with your statements if there's any implication that God has any desire or purpose in resurrecting them that they suffer and die.

God is simply complying with the demands of law and justice. Death must happen in consequence of sin. God must resurrect the wicked for this to happen.

PS - Why didn’t Lucifer or the evil angels suffer and die when they sinned? Who or what prevents it?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120652
10/18/09 07:58 PM
10/18/09 07:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: So when you say "the light of the glory fo God" and "die" I want to know if you have in mind what you understand these things to mean, or what I do.

Originally Posted By: MM
Suffering = physical pain and emotional agony
Die = heart stops beating
Light of the glory of God = radiant light

T: I disagree with your definitions. Since your questions rest upon what I believe are false assumptions, I can only answer that I disagree with the assumptions inherent in your questions.

Do you really disagree with the first two definitions? And, are you absolutely certain “the light of the glory of God” never, ever refers to the light that radiates from God? Take another look at the following inspired insights:

Quote:
His countenance outshines the dazzling brightness of the noonday sun. {FLB 349.3}

The light of the sun will be superseded by a radiance which is not painfully dazzling, yet which immeasurably surpasses the brightness of our noontide. The glory of God and the Lamb floods the Holy City with unfading light. The redeemed walk in the sunless glory of perpetual day. {FLB 363.4}

Christ, the Light of the world, veiled the dazzling splendor of His divinity and came to live as a man among men, that they might, without being consumed, become acquainted with their Creator. {MH 419.1}

In their conscious guilt, feeling themselves still under the divine displeasure, they could not endure the heavenly light, which, had they been obedient to God, would have filled them with joy. There is fear in guilt. The soul that is free from sin will not wish to hide from the light of heaven. {PP 329.5}

Are you absolutely positive the light described above is NOT literal light? Are you sure God does not glow with a divine, heavenly light?

Quote:
M: Do you agree the quotes above are referring to literal light? If not, why not?

T: In the case of Moses, a veil was needed by the Israelites to cover their eyes. Moses had spent time with God. If this were referring to Moses' having been with a literal light, what is written doesn't make sense, because if one spends time with a bright, literal light, when one returns from the visit, it is not necessary for others to protect their eyes. It doesn't matter how bright the light was that one was with.

What do you do think caused the Jews so much pain when they looked upon the light reflected on Moses’ face? Ellen wrote:

So sacred and so glorious is the law, that when Moses returned from the holy mount, where he had been with God, receiving from His hand the tables of stone, his face reflected a glory upon which the people could not look without pain, and Moses was obliged to cover his face with a veil. {1SM 237.1}

The glory that shone on the face of Moses was a reflection of the righteousness of Christ in the law. The law itself would have no glory, only that in it Christ is embodied. It has no power to save. It is lusterless only as in it Christ is represented as full of righteousness and truth. {1SM 237.2}

They tell him that they cannot look into his face, for the radiant light in his countenance is exceedingly painful to them. His face is like the sun; they cannot look upon it. When Moses finds out the difficulty, he covers his face with a veil. He does not plead that the light and glory upon his face is the reflection of God's glory that He placed upon him, and that the people must bear it; but he covers his glory. The sinfulness of the people make it painful to behold his glorified face. So will it be when the saints of God are glorified just previous to the second appearing of our Lord. The wicked will retire and shrink away from the sight, for the glory in the countenances of the saints will pain them. But all this glory upon Moses, all this divine stamp seen upon God's humble servant, is forgotten. {3T 354.3}

Quote:
T: So it seems evident to me that more than simply physical light is being dealt with. A really simple way to see this is the case, MM, is to consider the judgment of blind people. If it were simply a matter of a physical light, it would have no impact on them. The issues are not physical, MM, but spiritual.

I believe the unveiled radiant firelight of God destroys animate and inanimate things. Anything corrupted or contaminated by sin cannot withstand His radiant firelight. Unlike you, I do not believe the resurrected wicked are capable of comprehending the conttrast between their sins and God's character in a way that will result in them suffering the physical pain and mental agony you describe. They are sin-hardened and, therefore, incapable of the experience you dscribe.

By the way, in light of your view of judgment, how will the deaf and blind make out? If they cannot hear or see the panoramic representation of their sins on the big screen in the sky, how will they experience the physical pain and mental agony you describe? I suspect God will resurrect them with all their senses restored.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120653
10/18/09 08:01 PM
10/18/09 08:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC: After the second resurrection, do sinners still have a choice? Can they who are lost then confess and avert their judgment? Do they have a choice then?

T: Yes. God does not take away anyone's power of choice.

Like GC, I'm curious why you believe the resurrected wicked can confess their sins and be saved at last.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #120657
10/18/09 09:40 PM
10/18/09 09:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
GC: After the second resurrection, do sinners still have a choice? Can they who are lost then confess and avert their judgment? Do they have a choice then?

T: Yes. God does not take away anyone's power of choice.

M:Like GC, I'm curious why you believe the resurrected wicked can confess their sins and be saved at last.

There were three questions there. I answered the question of choice, and quoted from GC 541-543, and made the same points that she did. I've pointed out that they've set their character, so they won't be saved, if that's what you're asking. My point was what I said, that God does not take away anyone's power of choice. I wasn't saying any lost person will be saved after the second resurrection, if that's what you're asking.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120661
10/18/09 10:28 PM
10/18/09 10:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Do you think the hotter and more terrible internal fire will cause less physical pain and mental agony than if they were literally lit on fire?

T: I already commented on this. I suggest you reread what I wrote. If you have any questions on it, you can ask me. To answer the physical pain part of the question, I can't think of anything that would cause less physical pain than being set on fire. I think on a scale of 1 to 100, that would score 100.

M:I did read what you wrote. It didn’t understand how it answers my question. I need clarification. Just now you answered part of it by saying it will cause less physical pain than being set on fire.

It doesn't sound like you read what I wrote. I spoke of the loss of losing a loved one, like a spouse or child. How would you compare this with the agony of being burned alive? Certainly being burned alive is physically more painful, but nothing compares with the agony of having one's heart broken by losing a spouse or child.

The flame which Ty spoke of which burns more terribly is the flame of love. Ty wasn't making an argument in regards to the physical agony of being set on fire.

Quote:

M: Do you believe God is a physical being?

T: What do you mean by this? I'm not aware of any inspired statement saying this. Do you know of one?

Ellen wrote: “The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist." {EW 54.2}

1. The Father has a physical form.

This says "form," the same as Scripture (not "physical form")

Quote:
2. His form causes sinners to cease to exist.

She didn't write this. She spoke of beholding His glory. His physical form is not His glory.

I've mentioned blind people several times, MM. If you consider their case, it should be clear you're not looking at this the right way. You're couching things in physical terms, involving physical eyesight. If this were the issue, blind people wouldn't be impacted, since they can't physically see.

Quote:

M: If so, do believe He must be physically present (as opposed to physically somewhere else out of sight) for resurrected sinners to experience the physical pain and mental agony you describe?

T: I don't think being physically out of sight or not is the important thing. Consider how blind people are judged, and this should become apparent.

M:You didn’t answer the question.

Yes I did. Don't you believe God is omnipresent? It sounds from your questions that you might not.

Quote:
Also, how do you know they are resurrected without all five senses?

Ellen White comments on this. Also, even without her comment, logic would dictate this.

Quote:

M: Do sinners suffer now for the same reasons resurrected sinners will suffer in judgment (referring to the physical pain and mental agony you describe)? If not, why not. What makes the difference?

T: The reasons are similar, or can be.

M:In what sense are they similar?

Conviction of sin, shame of being caught, sense of loss, fear of death; there are lots of similar factors.

Quote:

T: It sounds like you're disagreeing.

M:The presence of His glory will destroy them.

The context doesn't support this idea. She speaks of the glory of Him who is love. This isn't a physical idea. The previous program speaks of the character of the wicked. The context is speaking of character, not of a physical problem.

Quote:
What is it about His form and presence that will cause the wicked to suffer and to die? I believe the light He radiates is what will cause them to suffer and to die.

Then blind people would be safe. The problem is a spiritual one, not a physical one.

Quote:

M: But this quote doesn’t explain the mechanics. It doesn’t describe how the light of God’s glory will destroy them.

T: Perhaps it's not important that we know more than what's been revealed.

M:The light He radiates will cause them to suffer and to die.

Then the blind will be safe.

Quote:
That much has been clearly revealed.

Ellen White understood the issues were spiritual.

Quote:
M: Ty says comprehending the contrast between their sins and God’s character, as He forces them to revisit their sins, will cause them to experience unimaginable suffering. But he comes short of saying it will cause them to die. He leaves it hanging, unanswered.

T: Again, perhaps it's not important that we know more than what's been revealed.

M:Do you agree Ty doesn’t explain what causes the wicked to die?

He explains the spiritual issues, which I think is of primary import.

Quote:

T: If you mean this in a non-trivial way, I disagree (by non-trivial, I mean that this is implying that it is God's desire or purpose that the wicked suffer and die.)

M:Isn’t it obvious, Tom, that if God chose not to resurrect the wicked they wouldn't suffer and die as you describe? It’s not a trick statement. It simply states the obvious. Sometimes it’s important to state the obvious.

In a trivial sense, what you said is true. But non-trivially, in terms of intent, desire, or purpose, it's false.

Quote:

T: I disagree with this. As the SOP points out, wherever there is sin, it's inevitable that suffering and death will be present as well.

M:You left out a critical part of the equation, namely, the presence of God. “To sin, wherever found, God is a consuming fire. If you choose sin, and refuse to separate from it, the presence of God, which consumes sin, must consume you.”

You are, again, imo, misunderstanding spiritual truths as having to do with natural, or physical, things.

Quote:
Also, how do you explain the fact the wicked do not suffer and die immediately after they are resurrected?

They haven't been judged yet. It wouldn't make any sense for them to die before being judged.

Quote:
Who or what prevents it? And, why don’t they die immediately after they finish revisiting their last sin? Who or what prevents it? They live on long afterward to fight among themselves.

I don't have anything to say beyond DA 764 on this:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

Quote:

What “glory” did Jesus “veil” with humanity? And, if He chose not to hide it what would happen to sinners?

I commented on this already.

Quote:

The tree of life perpetuates life. God barred access to it to prevent the existence of immortal sinners. Said the angel: "Not one of Adam's family has passed that flaming sword and partaken of that tree; therefore there is not an immortal sinner.” {EW 51.2}

Again, we disagree, in that you see these things in physical/natural terms.

Quote:

M: If "glory" only refers to character, how did Jesus' humanity hide it?

T: No finite being could take in a full revelation of God, so God reveals Himself in a way that finite beings can behold Him.

M:How did Jesus prevent His character from slaying or destroying sinners while He was here in the flesh?

The cleansing of the temple discusses this, in "The Desire of Ages."

Quote:

M: Tom, please explain why you agree or disagree with the statements above. Thank you.

T: Of course, it's trivially true that the wicked could not experience anything if they were not resurrected, so if that's you're only point, I would agree that the wicked could not experience anything (thoughts, feelings, emotions) if they continued in an unconscious state, but I disagree with your statements if there's any implication that God has any desire or purpose in resurrecting them that they suffer and die.

M:God is simply complying with the demands of law and justice. Death must happen in consequence of sin. God must resurrect the wicked for this to happen.

PS - Why didn’t Lucifer or the evil angels suffer and die when they sinned? Who or what prevents it?

It's quite clear to me you're not understanding what I'm saying, and it's not clear to me that you can right now, simply because of the paradigm you are operating from. I think Ty Gibson has explained the same concepts I'm trying to share more clearly than I can. I'll quote some more from him in a subsequent post. You can see if you understand it.

I understand what you're saying. I don't agree with it, for the reasons I stated, which is you see the issues in a sense which I think is not dealing with the fundamental issues.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120662
10/18/09 10:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The law is not an arbitrary set of rules made up at random by God to prove His authority over us, but rather a practical explanation of what love looks like in real life…Sin is anything contrary to the character of God; more specifically, anything contrary to His love…

Love is God’s law, the principle by which He lives. It is a law because it is not arbitrary, but based on reality as it is, governing life by its righteous principles. Love is the law by which God made and sustains life….

Sin is the opposite, antagonistic principle at war with the law of love. Do not view sin as merely an alternative way of living, which happens to be harmlessly different from God’s way. God’s way is the only way to live, not because He happens to be more powerful and can arbitrarily punish us if we don’t comply, but because life is actually, intrinsically present only in God’s way, which is the way of love. The problem with sin is that it is wrong, actually, essentially, inherently wrong. And it is wrong for good reason, not just because the One in charge doesn’t like it. To be sure, God does not like sin, but He doesn’t like it because of what it does to is victims, not because He is a picky control freak who decided to come up with a list of arbitrary rules to keep us under His thumb. Sin, by its very nature, is anti-life. It is intrinsically destructive. Hence the Bible calls it the “law of sin and death” (Romans 8:2).

Once the nature of sin is understood, it is easy to see why sin is a law of death: sin is selfishness, the antithesis of love. As such, it leads inevitably to the exclusion of, and isolation from, the sustaining love and support of all others….

Because God’s love is the law of the universe, by which He created and sustains all things, the principles of that law are designed into our very natures. Within our psycho-emotional makeup, love is encoded as the law of life. When we violate that law, a malfunction signal issues a warning in the form of guilt. That part of our minds we call *conscience* senses discomfort with sin and identifies it as a destructive virus in the computer system, so to speak. Guilt is not arbitrarily imposed by God any more than His law is arbitrary. He is the Architect of conscience, but He is not the source of guilt. He made us with the capacity to feel guilt as a merciful and wise deterrent to sin, desiring, of course, that we would never experience its pain….

While God does not desire that anyone ever experience physical pain or the psychological pain of guilt, even more so He does not desire our utter destruction. Pain is a built-in mercy mechanism intended to aid in the preservation of life. Pain is not an indication that God is exercising some kind of power above, beyond, or contrary to His law of love in order to inflict suffering as an arbitrary punishment for sin. Punishment is organic to sin itself….

It is commonly thought that the connection between sin and death is imply that if we don’t repent of our sins God will kill us. Often no actual, intrinsic relationship is discerned between sin and death. But even a casual consideration of Scripture on this point persuades us otherwise. Notice just these few examples (quotes Gal. 6:7, 8; Rom. 6:16, 21-23; Rom. 8:6; Rom. 8:13; Prov. 8:36; James 1:15)…

So, when Paul says that holiness results in eternal life, he is not removing God from the equation and making life a mere naturalistic cause and effect matter. He is simply describing *how* God gives us eternal life….

God does not threaten, “If you keep sinning, I will kill you.” Rather, He warns, “If you continue in sin, you will die,” for “sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.” And so He pleads, “I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die …? (Ezek. 33:11). We’re caught off guard by a question like this from God. We are more inclined to ask Him, “Why do You kill?” But He points to our sin and asks us, “Why do you choose death?”…

(quotes Rom. 5:11; 1 Pet. 3:18; 1 Pet. 2:24, 25; 2 Cor. 5:14, 15)
Please not the recurring point in the preceding verses:
• Through Christ we receive “atonement”; we are made one with God.
• The purpose of the substitutionary death of Christ is to “bring us to God”; not Him to us. God has demonstrated His reconciled position toward us in Christ.
• Through sin we have gone “astray”; but through the sacrifice of Christ we “are not returned” to God.
• The love of Christ, revealed in His death, causes us to cease living for self and to start living for Him; we are reestablished in the circle of selfless, other-centered love through the atoning death of Christ….

(discussing the three-party picture of the atonement)
1. The sinner, who has aroused the anger of God.
2. A wrathful God, who needs personal satisfaction that can only be derived from inflicting suffering and imposing death; only then will He even consider letting us off the hook with forgiveness.
3. A third-party victim, who is made to suffer and die as a substitute for the sinner.

There are a number of serious problems with the three-party picture, foremost of which is that it makes no legal or moral sense for an innocent third-party victim to suffer the penalty for the wrongdoer. If such an arrangement could actually satisfy God, then we would be forced to conclude that His law and His wrath are irrational and arbitrary, meaning there is no actual relationship between law and sin and death. If God’s wrath can be appeased by venting rage on an innocent third party, then it follows that there is no real problem with sin other than the fact that God doesn’t want us doing it: His law is arbitrary. Moreover, since we have failed to meet His arbitrary demands, we had better suffer ourselves or find a whipping boy to suffer in our place: His wrath is arbitrary.

Biblical Christianity proclaims, in extreme contrast to the third-party view of substitution, that God has given Himself as our Substitute, to bear our sin and its inherent, divinely-ordained penalty. Hence there are only two parties involved in the atonement: 1. The sinner, who has aroused in God a painful tension between a holy, rational anger against sin and an equally holy, rational mercy toward the sinner. 2. An infinitely just an definitely merciful God, who loves us so selflessly that He has chosen to give Himself to suffer and die as our Substitute….

So what actually happened on that hill far away as the Son of God hung between heaven and earth? Did Christ bear the wrath of God at Calvary? What part did the Father act in the suffering and death of Christ? A number of Scriptures bear a consistent testimony to answer these questions:

(quotes Acts 2:23, 24; Acts 4:24-28) ….

Did the Father cause the suffering and death of Christ?

Yes and no!

Yes, if we mean He delivered Him over to suffering and death according to His own wise purpose of grace. Yes, if we mean that the Father gave up His Son to experience the tormenting psychological agony of our guilt.

No, if we mean He acted as an arbitrary source of pain and death, as the tormentor and executioner of His Son. No, if we mean that the Father assumed a position of vicious hostility toward His Son. Christ suffered and died at *our* hands, under the burden of *our* sin, by the gracious, self-sacrificing purpose of the Father….

In holy hatred of sin and unrelenting love for the sinner, the Father handed over His Son to bear the guilt inherent in our sin and to endure the selfish, murderous rage lashing out from our sin. This fits perfectly with Paul’s definition of divine wrath. He explains that it is God giving sinners over to receive in themselves the penalty inherent in their sin (Romans 1:18-28). Christ felt “forsaken” by God, “delivered” up to suffer all that sin ultimately is, not pounced upon with hostility.

The Father was right there with His Son all along, behind the darkening veil imposed by our sin, feeling the pain of the agonizing separation.

I can love a God like that. I am so glad He is that kind of God. You can love Him too. I know you can, because your heart, like mine, yearns to love and be loved with such passionate grace.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #120663
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
That was Ty Gibson, from "See With New Eyes."

Page 29 of 105 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!