HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 41 of 105 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121008
10/27/09 04:48 AM
10/27/09 04:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
These same principles apply to the wicked.
Have you ever seen a statement that all of the wicked will bow to God and declare that their sentences are just? The text which says "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow" I have always understood to speak of a future time when sin is no more, and all of God's creatures happily serve Him. I know that Satan himself will bow and admit that his sentence is just, but I have never seen a statement which applies this confession generally to all of the wicked.

If you know of a statement which is clear on this, I would be interested in seeing it. I don't consider this a major issue, just a side-note of curiosity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121014
10/27/09 10:53 AM
10/27/09 10:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, if we consider the quote presented from "The Great Controversy," I think you can see the idea there:

The aim of the great rebel has ever been to justify himself and to prove the divine government responsible for the rebellion. To this end he has bent all the power of his giant intellect. He has worked deliberately and systematically, and with marvelous success, leading vast multitudes to accept his version of the great controversy which has been so long in progress. For thousands of years this chief of conspiracy has palmed off falsehood for truth. But the time has now come when the rebellion is to be finally defeated and the history and character of Satan disclosed. In his last great effort to dethrone Christ, destroy His people, and take possession of the City of God, the archdeceiver has been fully unmasked. Those who have united with him see the total failure of his cause. Christ's followers and the loyal angels behold the full extent of his machinations against the government of God. He is the object of universal abhorrence.

Satan sees that his voluntary rebellion has unfitted him for heaven. He has trained his powers to war against God; the purity, peace, and harmony of heaven would be to him supreme torture. His accusations against the mercy and justice of God are now silenced. The reproach which he has endeavored to cast upon Jehovah rests wholly upon himself. And now Satan bows down and confesses the justice of his sentence.

"Who shall not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for Thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before Thee; for Thy judgments are made manifest." Verse 4. Every question of truth and error in the long-standing controversy has now been made plain. The results of rebellion, the fruits of setting aside the divine statutes, have been laid open to the view of all created intelligences. The working out of Satan's rule in contrast with the government of God has been presented to the whole universe. Satan's own works have condemned him. God's wisdom, His justice, and His goodness stand fully vindicated. It is seen that all His dealings in the great controversy have been conducted with respect to the eternal good of His people and the good of all the worlds that He has created. "All Thy works shall praise Thee, O Lord; and Thy saints shall bless Thee." Psalm 145:10. The history of sin will stand to all eternity as a witness that with the existence of God's law is bound up the happiness of all the beings He has created. With all the facts of the great controversy in view, the whole universe, both loyal and rebellious, with one accord declare: "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints."

Before the universe has been clearly presented the great sacrifice made by the Father and the Son in man's behalf. [/u]The hour has come when Christ occupies His rightful position and is glorified above principalities and powers and every name that is named.[/u] It was for the joy that was set before Him--that He might bring many sons unto glory--that He endured the cross and despised the shame. And inconceivably great as was the sorrow and the shame, yet greater is the joy and the glory. He looks upon the redeemed, renewed in His own image, every heart bearing the perfect impress of the divine, every face reflecting the likeness of their King. He beholds in them the result of the travail of His soul, and He is satisfied. Then, in a voice that reaches the assembled multitudes of the righteous and the wicked, He declares: "Behold the purchase of My blood! For these I suffered, for these I died, that they might dwell in My presence throughout eternal ages." And the song of praise ascends from the white-robed ones about the throne: "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing." Revelation 5:12.

Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged.(GC 670-671)

I highlighted some key points to consider. The significance of the bowing down of Satan is not a physical act, but a mental one. It refers to the recognition of the facts of the matter, that God has been just in all His dealings, that Satan's actions have been totally uncalled for, and that Christ is worthy to receive His place of honor and glory. The act of Satan's recognition of these facts is referred to as his bowing down.

Since the wicked will recognize the same things that Satan does, it makes sense to characterize their actions the same way. Every tongue confess the righteousness of God.

Quote:
With all the facts of the great controversy in view, the whole universe, both loyal and rebellious, with one accord declare: "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints."

Here's another passage which brings out this thought:

Quote:
As I live, says the Lord, to me every knee shall bow and every tongue acknowledge God. Romans 14:11, N.E.B.

For what was the great controversy permitted to continue throughout the ages? Why was it that Satan's existence was not cut short at the outset of his rebellion? It was that the universe might be convinced of God's justice in His dealing with evil; that sin might receive eternal condemnation. (God's Amazing Grace 373)

The "every knee shall bow" verse is quoted, and the explanation is given that the universe will be convinced of God's righteousness. Every knee shall bow = All are convinced of God's righteousness (i.e., God's character is vindicated, which is the purpose of the Great Controversy).

Since all are convinced, wicked and righteous alike, the "every knee shall bow" applies to all, although one could certainly argue that it applies in a special way to those who not only recognize God's righteousness, but love Him.

Another passage:

Quote:
I have sworn by myself, . . . That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. Surely, shall one say, in the Lord have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed. Isaiah 45:23, 24....

The whole wicked world stand arraigned at the bar of God on the charge of high treason against the government of heaven. They have none to plead their cause; they are without excuse; and the sentence of eternal death is pronounced against them.

We shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. Romans 14:10, 11.

As if entranced, the wicked have looked upon the coronation of the Son of God. They see in His hands the tables of the divine law, the statutes which they have despised and transgressed. They witness the outburst of wonder, rapture, and adoration from the saved; and as the wave of melody sweeps over the multitudes without the city, all with one voice exclaim, "Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints" (Revelation 15:3); and, falling prostrate, they worship the Prince of life.(Maranatha 345)

There seems to be no doubt from this one that the wicked are included among those whose knee shall bow and tongue confess.

Another one:

Quote:
At His second coming, the scene will be changed. He will be acknowledged by all as the King of glory. At the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. The angels will bow in adoration before Him. His enemies will see the mistake they have made, and every tongue will confess His divinity. (ST 4/19/05)

One more:

Quote:
Unless the warnings that God in his mercy is sending to you are heeded, before a long time shall elapse you will make shipwreck of faith. You have sown the seeds of unbelief all along the line. And you have so long refused the evidence of the operation of the Holy Spirit that it is questionable whether you will ever again recognize the light from heaven. It may even appear as darkness to you, until the time shall come when every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess to God.(1888 Mat. 1365)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121015
10/27/09 10:56 AM
10/27/09 10:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, as I understand your view, you see the fire that comes down from heaven as a literal fire, but not one that actually sets the wicked on fire. It causes fires to spring up around them, from which they feel heat and discomfort, but they are not actually set on fire. Have I understood your position correctly?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121017
10/27/09 11:10 AM
10/27/09 11:10 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I think the wicked will be burned up by the fire which engulfs the earth.

You have some interesting views. How come you believe this? Why is it wrong for the rest of us to believe this too? Just because we believe that God will actually be in control of said fire? Would you prefer that God, the King of the Universe, were not in control?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121018
10/27/09 11:37 AM
10/27/09 11:37 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Regarding #121014, that makes sense.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121025
10/27/09 01:43 PM
10/27/09 01:43 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: kland
Reject these inspired words if you wish, I cannot. Jesus said in so many words that there will be people thrown into the fire.
An immediate question would be, should we insert our own private interpretation as to who is going to do it?

But what about these inspired words? Should we reject them?
Quote:
But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.
There is no need to reject that statement. There is, perhaps, a need to read it within its proper context of time.

As for the "who is going to do it," are you asking who is throwing whom into the fire? There is no need for private interpretation here either, as the Bible is sufficiently clear. A text that comes to mind is another of Jesus' own.

Originally Posted By: Jesus
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels. (Matthew 25:40-41)

Who gives the orders? the King. Does Jesus say the fire is prepared "by the devil" or "for the devil?" smile

But, that does not say that God prepared the fire.

As far as you saying Tom rejects inspired words, should those words be read within it's proper context, is the Bible clear, as clear as who killed Saul?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121026
10/27/09 01:47 PM
10/27/09 01:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I think the wicked will be burned up by the fire which engulfs the earth.

GC:You have some interesting views. How come you believe this? Why is it wrong for the rest of us to believe this too?

You say "the rest of us," but I think it's only you and Arnold. You are the only one who flat out says God will burn the wicked alive. Arnold says he's leaning towards that view. Neither MM nor Rosangela believe the wicked will be burned alive as you do.

Quote:
Just because we believe that God will actually be in control of said fire? Would you prefer that God, the King of the Universe, were not in control?

To be clear, I think the purpose of the fire will be to purify the earth, not to cause suffering or death or to make people pay for their sins. DA 764 says that the glory of God will destroy the wicked, not literal fire.

GC 541-543 says that God will use the principles of kindness, mercy and love in the final judgment. I can't understand why you would think that burning people alive would somehow be espousing these principles when it's obviously diametrically opposed to it. There isn't even a government on this corrupt earth of ours that punishes people in this way. Why? Because it's true humane and cruel. Yet you believe that God, who is the kindest being in the universe, who loves people so much He gave His only son, God!, will do something so cruel and inhuman that it's beyond sinful human beings to do.

I don't understand how you don't see the disconnect in this.

I can understand why you would think that people need to be punished. I can understand looking at this from a legal perspective, as something the law requires. Even though I disagree with this perspective, I can understand it. I can't understand the idea that God would punish people by burning them. The idea that people have to be tortured to pay for their sins comes from paganism. There's nothing in the law that says, "The punishment for breaking the law is to be burned alive."

Christ said, "Let their punishment fall on Me." Christ suffered the penalty of the law. If the penalty of the law for sin were being burned alive, Christ would have been burned alive. We see in Christ's death what the punishment of the law really is.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121027
10/27/09 01:52 PM
10/27/09 01:52 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I think the wicked will be burned up by the fire which engulfs the earth.

You have some interesting views. How come you believe this? Why is it wrong for the rest of us to believe this too? Just because we believe that God will actually be in control of said fire? Would you prefer that God, the King of the Universe, were not in control?

Would fire engulfing the earth be the same as in the days of Noah? While it could be considered that God is in control of everything, God wasn't in control of the flood as the flood happened when He was no longer in control of the water, when He gave up control of it, when man said they didn't want Him and to let them be, He removed Himself from them.

Implied in your last statement, is God in control of Satan?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #121031
10/27/09 02:18 PM
10/27/09 02:18 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Of course God controlled the flood. He guided and protected the ark; He made sure to bury the animals, plants, people, and large masses of gold and silver beneath the mountains; He made sure that the flood was of sufficient duration, force/violence, and coverage area to ensure the death of all the wicked--covering even the highest of mountains by more than the height of the tallest man then living; He caused a wind to blow to dry up the waters afterward; and through it all, He preserved a remnant of man and beast by which to repopulate the earth, even ensuring sufficient time following the recession of the waters for adequate quantities of grass to grow to feed the animals before their release. I would say God was very much in control. We are told that even Satan feared for his life on account of the violence of the flood.

And yes, God is in control of Satan in that He sets limits upon what Satan can and cannot do. Read the following passage from Patriarchs and Prophets which describes the whole flood situation in more detail, and correlates it to the final "deluge by fire."

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
As the violence of the storm increased, trees, buildings, rocks, and earth were hurled in every direction. The terror of man and beast was beyond description. Above the roar of the tempest was heard the wailing of a people that had despised the authority of God. Satan himself, who was compelled to remain in the midst of the warring elements, feared for his own existence. He had delighted to control so powerful a race, and desired them to live to practice their abominations and continue their rebellion against the Ruler of heaven. He now uttered imprecations against God, charging Him with injustice and cruelty. Many of the people, like Satan, blasphemed God, and had they been able, they would have torn Him from the throne of power. Others were frantic with fear, stretching their hands toward the ark and pleading for admittance. But their entreaties were in vain. Conscience was at last aroused to know that there is a God who ruleth in the heavens. They called upon Him earnestly, but His ear was not open to their cry. In that terrible hour they saw that the transgression of God's law had caused their ruin. Yet while, through fear of punishment, they acknowledged their sin, they felt no true contrition, no abhorrence of evil. They would have returned to their defiance of Heaven, had the judgment been removed. So when God's judgments shall fall upon the earth before its deluge by fire, the impenitent will know just where and what their sin is--the despising of His holy law. Yet they will have no more true repentance than did the old-world sinners. {PP 99.3}

As we can see evident in this passage, the wicked were convicted in their judgment of the what they had earlier tried to deny--that God was in control, and rules over all. They realized the Source of the judgment, and their own sinfulness which had merited it.

Notice their accusation against God on account of His judgments? They accused Him of being unjust and cruel. This is the same accusation tossed about here by some when faced with the fact that the final judgment will be "deluge by fire" (EGW), instead of by water as before. In other words, the source of this argument/accusation is identified for us.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121036
10/27/09 03:12 PM
10/27/09 03:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Notice their accusation against God on account of His judgments? They accused Him of being unjust and cruel. This is the same accusation tossed about here by some when faced with the fact that the final judgment will be "deluge by fire" (EGW), instead of by water as before. In other words, the source of this argument/accusation is identified for us.

No, it's not the same, or even close to being the same. Even if the Flood occurred as you suppose it did, it should be easy to see it's a far cry from what happened in the Flood, and what will happen in the judgment. In order for the Flood to be like what you think will happen in the judgment, God would have had to have taken supernatural action to prevent the people from dying. So as their lungs filled with water, God keeps them alive, for hours or days, so their suffering could continue. Had God done this, the Flood would have been similar to your idea of the judgment.

For the judgment fire to be like the flood, it would have to kill the wicked as a fire naturally kills people, just like the waters of the flood naturally killed people the way water kills people.

Page 41 of 105 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!