HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,599
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,210 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 44 of 105 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121090
10/28/09 09:09 PM
10/28/09 09:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Do you believe God regulates the revelation of His character to yield intended results? If so, how does He regulate it? What do you think would be the result if He didn’t regulate it? Is human comprehension of God’s character necessary for the intended results to be realized? Did running and hiding from Jesus play a part in regulating the intended results?

T: I think "regulate" is a poor choice of words. "Regulate" makes me think of heat, or things like that. Not God's character. God's character is beautiful. It describes what God is like. So instead of asking, "Do you believe God regulates the revelation of His character to yield intended results?" I would ask something like this, "Do you think God reveals His character in such a way as to obtain a desired result?" My answer to this question is, of course. God reveals His character for the purpose of leading us to repentance. The goodness of God leads us to repentance. (Romans 2:4).

M:Do you think those times when divinity flashed through humanity, when Jesus was here in the flesh, may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character, to cause the death of those who rejected Jesus?

I don't think of it this way.

Quote:
What do you think would have happened had Jesus not restricted the duration or intensity? Do you think running and hiding from Jesus played a part in preventing their death?

I think these questions are rather odd, but the following may shed some light on what you're asking:

Quote:
In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 108)

Quote:
Also, in judgment, what do you think God will do to prevent His character from causing the wicked to die prematurely?

Why would this matter? Why are you asking this?

Quote:
Do you think it is necessary for God to subject the wicked to a full, unveiled, unrestricted revelation of His character for them to suffer and die?

First of all, I think this is really and odd, distorted way of looking at things. You keep phrasing things in terms of God's wanting to harm others. This is missing the whole point.

For example, you write here "for God to subject the wicked ..." as if God were responsible. It seems all your questions have this presupposition, that God is the problem.

I don't see things in these terms, which makes it very difficult to respond to your questions. You're simply looking at things much differently than I am.

Anyway, to answer your question, it's not necessary for God to do anything specific to cause the wicked to suffer and die. This is something which sin causes to happen, not God. Suffering and death is the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
God is the life-giver. From the beginning, all His laws were ordained to life. But sin broke in upon the order that God had established, and discord followed. So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable.(God's Amazing Grace 73)

Sin is the problem, not God.

Quote:
M: How would hiding from God prevent them from suffering and dying if it were the only thing that caused suffering and death?

T: I take it you're asking how, if sin is the only thing that causes suffering and death, could running from the revelation of God's character prevent that from happening?

M:I asked, “If it were possible to hide from God in judgment, would evil men and angels avoid suffering and death?” To which you responded, “They could for that cause . . .” I assumed the “cause” you were referring to was God. That is, if the presence of God were the only cause of suffering and death, then, if it were it possible to hide from Him, suffering and death could be avoided.

"So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable." The problem isn't God.

Quote:
M:Do you think sin is the only thing that causes suffering and death in judgment?

Whether in the judgment or not, all suffering and death is the result of sin.

Quote:
M:Do you think the revelation of God’s character causes the wicked to suffer and die in judgment?

I've written out in detail what I think regarding this.

Quote:
When do you think God’s character gives life to the righteous? Do you think it is what resurrects them? Or, do you think it gives them life afterward? If so, how does it differ from the life they already have?

"He who has the Son, has life." This happens when one believes. Eternal life starts before the resurrection.

Quote:
Do you think it is necessary for God to cause their heart to beat 1) during judgment, and 2) after judgment? Do you think they would die if He didn’t? And, do you think they die because God stops causing their heart to beat?

MM, these questions don't make sense to me. For example, "Do you think they would die if He didn’t?" It sounds from this question that you are thinking after the resurrection human beings won't have hearts that beat? Or you have some doubt about this? Am I understanding you correctly?

Quote:
T: Regarding the role of revealing His character, the final chapter of "The Great Controversy" addresses this, the part I quoted for GC in regards to his question about every knee bowing and every tongue confessing. So that's an important part. Actually, that's the most important part. The whole Great Controversy has been about God's character. Every intelligent being must recognize that God has acted well throughout time.

Quote:
With all the facts of the great controversy in view, the whole universe, both loyal and rebellious, with one accord declare: "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints." (GC 671)

So this is one vital role it plays.

Do you think acknowledging the justice of God will cause sinners to “stop thinking and lose consciousness forever”? Do you think God will stop causing their heart to beat?

Please tell me why you're asking the questions you're asking. If I know why you're asking the questions you're asking, that may help me in answering them. It's not making sense to me why you're asking the questions you are. They seem to me to be unrelated to the points I'm making.

Quote:
T: Another role is discussed in GC 541-543, which discusses that the exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary with themselves, as well as that heaven would be torture for them.

M:Do you think this will cause sinners to “stop thinking and lose consciousness forever”? Do you think God will stop causing their heart to beat?

Same point here. I just wrote that the exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary with themselves, and that being in heaven would be torture for them, and you're asking me if I think "this" (I don't know what "this" is) will cause them to stop thinking and lose consciousness forever, or if I think God will stop causing their heart to beat. How are these questions related to what I said?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121127
10/29/09 08:11 PM
10/29/09 08:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
The Son of God, undertaking to become the Redeemer of the race, placed Adam in a new relation to his Creator. He was still fallen; but a door of hope was opened to him. The wrath of God still hung over Adam, but the execution of the sentence of death was delayed, and the indignation of God was restrained, because Christ had entered upon the work of becoming man's Redeemer. Christ was to take the wrath of God, which in justice should fall upon man. He became a refuge for man, and, although man was indeed a criminal, deserving the wrath of God, yet he could, by faith in Christ, run into the refuge provided and be safe. In the midst of death there was life if man chose to accept it. The holy and infinite God, who dwelleth in light unapproachable, could no longer talk with man. No communication could now exist directly between man and his Maker. {Con 19.4}

God forbears, for a time, the full execution of the sentence of death pronounced upon man. Satan flattered himself that he had forever broken the link between heaven and earth. But in this he was greatly mistaken and disappointed. The Father had given the world into the hands of His Son for Him to redeem from the curse and the disgrace of Adam's failure and fall. Through Christ alone can man now find access to God. And through Christ alone will the Lord hold communication with man. {Con 20.1}

Christ volunteered to maintain and vindicate the holiness of the divine law. He was not to do away the smallest part of its claims in the work of redemption for man, but, in order to save man and maintain the sacred claims and justice of His Father's law, He gave Himself a sacrifice for the guilt of man. Christ's life did not, in a single instance, detract from the claims of His Father's law, but, through firm obedience to all its precepts and by dying for the sins of those who had transgressed it, He established its immutability. {Con 20.2}

After the transgression of Adam, Satan saw that the ruin was complete. The human race was brought into a deplorable condition. Man was cut off from intercourse with God. It was Satan's design that the state of man should be the same as that of the fallen angels, in rebellion against God, uncheered by a gleam of hope. He reasoned that if God pardoned sinful man whom He had created, He would also pardon him and his angels and receive them into His favor. But he was disappointed. {Con 20.3}

The divine Son of God saw that no arm but His own could save fallen man, and He determined to help man. He left the fallen angels to perish in their rebellion, but stretched forth His hand to rescue perishing man. The angels who were rebellious were dealt with according to the light and experience they had abundantly enjoyed in heaven. Satan, the chief of the fallen angels, once had an exalted position in heaven. He was next in honor to Christ. The knowledge which he, as well as the angels who fell with him, had of the character of God, of His goodness, His mercy, wisdom, and excellent glory, made their guilt unpardonable. {Con 21.1}

There was no possible hope for the redemption of those who had witnessed and enjoyed the inexpressible glory of heaven, and had seen the terrible majesty of God, and, in presence of all this glory, had rebelled against Him. There were no new and wonderful exhibitions of God's exalted power that could impress them so deeply as those they had already experienced. If they could rebel in the very presence of glory inexpressible, they could not be placed in a more favorable condition to be proved. There was no reserve force of power, nor were there any greater heights and depths of infinite glory to overpower their jealous doubts and rebellious murmuring. Their guilt and their punishment must be in proportion to their exalted privileges in the heavenly courts. {Con 21.2}

Fallen man, because of his guilt, could no longer come directly before God with his supplications; for his transgression of the divine law had placed an impassable barrier between the holy God and the transgressor. But a plan was devised that the sentence of death should rest upon a Substitute. In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Thou shalt surely die." And the flowing of the blood from the victim would also signify an atonement. There was no virtue in the blood of animals; but the shedding of the blood of beasts was to point forward to a Redeemer who would one day come to the world and die for the sins of men. And thus Christ would fully vindicate His Father's law. {Con 21.3}

Let’s review this passage point by point:

1. The wrath of God still hung over Adam, but the execution of the sentence of death was delayed, and the indignation of God was restrained, because Christ had entered upon the work of becoming man's Redeemer. . . God forbears, for a time, the full execution of the sentence of death pronounced upon man.

M: God delays executing sinners, restrains His wrath and indignation, because Jesus is busy redeeming them.

2. In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. . . the fulfillment . . . of God's word, "Thou shalt surely die." But a plan was devised that the sentence of death should rest upon a Substitute. . . thus Christ would fully vindicate His Father's law.

M: Death must happen in consequence of sin because law and justice demand it. Jesus satisfied the demands of law and justice by paying our sin debt of death, by bearing in Himself the penalty of sin, thereby fully vindicating the demands of law and justice. He must vindicate law and justice because they demand death for sin.

3. Christ was to take the wrath of God, which in justice should fall upon man. He became a refuge for man, and, although man was indeed a criminal, deserving the wrath of God, yet he could, by faith in Christ, run into the refuge provided and be safe.

M: Sinners can run and take refuge in Jesus. Like a protective barrier, He absorbs the wrath and indignation of God. In Christ they are safe from the sentence of death flowing over them.

4. [In] order to save man and maintain the sacred claims and justice of His Father's law, He gave Himself a sacrifice for the guilt of man. . . by dying for the sins of those who had transgressed [the law].

M: In order to save us and satisfy the demands of law and justice, Jesus died on the cross. By living and dying the perfect life and death Jesus earned the legal right to pardon and to save penitent sinners. He could not simply ignore the death demands of law and justice and save them simply because it is His great desire.

5. [Satan] reasoned that if God pardoned sinful man whom He had created, He would also pardon him and his angels and receive them into His favor.

M: Satan is wrong. God has no legal right to pardon evil angels. Why? Because “no provision had been made to save” angels who ventured to sin. To sin willfully in plain sight of God, in His face, under His nose, is unpardonable.

6. He left the fallen angels to perish in their rebellion . . . their guilt [was] unpardonable. . . There was no possible hope for the redemption of those who had witnessed and enjoyed the inexpressible glory of heaven, and had seen the terrible majesty of God, and, in presence of all this glory, had rebelled against Him.

M: Their first sin was unpardonable. Why? “There were no new and wonderful exhibitions of God's exalted power that could impress them so deeply as those they had already experienced. If they could rebel in the very presence of glory inexpressible, they could not be placed in a more favorable condition to be proved. There was no reserve force of power, nor were there any greater heights and depths of infinite glory to overpower their jealous doubts and rebellious murmuring.”

7. Their guilt and their punishment must be in proportion to their exalted privileges in the heavenly courts.

M: Their guiltiness is unparalleled. They must be punished according to their sinfulness. Law and justice demand death for sin. God will execute them and vindicate His law and love.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121130
10/29/09 08:34 PM
10/29/09 08:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed . . . all behold the enormity of their guilt.”
2. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
3. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah . . . Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
4. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven.”
5. “The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
6. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished according to their deeds.”
7. “In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.”

Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Do you think 1, 4, and 6 describe the same thing, and that chronologically 4 and 6 belong with 1?

T: No. I think the last thing that happens is item 7.

Do you think the chronology above is accurate? Or, do you think the events listed above will play out in a different chronological order? If so, please list them in the order you think they will play out.

Quote:
T: Regarding what I'm basing my chronology on, DA 764, GC 541-543, DA 107-108 are the primary passages, in connect with, of course, GC 672-673. I've tried to come up with a scenario which makes sense given all that's been written on the subject, not just the one passage in GC 672-673.

T: I'll lump these together. I think these are describing general principles which should be applied to the study of the judgment, including item 1, which you're asking about.

In light of the chronology above, do you think the principles portrayed in what you consider to be primary passages will play out first (event 1)? If not, where in the order of events do you see them playing out?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121132
10/29/09 09:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's what I think will happen, MM.

The wicked are resurrected. They are led by Satan to attack the city. As they are about to attack, Jesus Christ is revealed. The wicked appear individually before the judgment seat of Christ at this point in time. (This is represented by the law being written in letters of fire, the scenes of Jesus Christ's life being presented, the wicked being conscious of every sin, seeing where they went wrong, seeing how much God loved each one and what He was doing for them, etc.)

After seeing this, the wicked realize, and recognize, that God has been just in all His ways. As they recognize God's righteousness, the entire universe is now of one accord that God has acted justly throughout time. All recognize that God is not at fault in anything that happened.

Satan tries to lead the wicked who are still alive to once again attack. They turn on him. The wicked die.

The earth will be cleansed by fire.

I see various possibilities for how the wicked die, but see no need to go into them. I'll quote DA 764:

Quote:
The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life... God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

There are some crucial points to bear in mind, which, unfortunately, seem not to be considered.

1.God will judge the wicked according to the principles of "kindness, mercy, and love.
2.The exclusion of the wicked from heaven is voluntary with themselves.
3.We need to understand Christ's death in order to understand the destruction of the wicked.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121133
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Do you think those times when divinity flashed through humanity, when Jesus was here in the flesh, may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character, to cause the death of those who rejected Jesus?

T: I don't think of it this way.

Here’s what you wrote about it earlier on this thread: “[Divinity flashing through humanity] did have the effect of causing suffering. They ran away from Christ's presence. Also the divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” So, as you see, the thought at least crossed your mind.

Quote:
M: What do you think would have happened had Jesus not restricted the duration or intensity? Do you think running and hiding from Jesus played a part in preventing their death?

T: I think these questions are rather odd, but the following may shed some light on what you're asking:

Please bear in mind you brought it up first.

Quote:
M: Also, in judgment, what do you think God will do to prevent His character from causing the wicked to die prematurely?

T: Why would this matter? Why are you asking this?

It matters because if they die prematurely it wouldn’t serve the intended purpose. I’m asking because I don’t know what you believe. If, as you say, God must work now to prevent His character from causing sinners to die, it begs the question – How does He prevent them from reaping the results of sin?

Quote:
M: Do you think it is necessary for God to subject the wicked to a full, unveiled, unrestricted revelation of His character for them to suffer and die?

T: Anyway, to answer your question, it's not necessary for God to do anything specific to cause the wicked to suffer and die.

I hear you saying God will do nothing that will result in them suffering and dying. Is that what you believe? I could believe you if God left them dead in the grave. But He doesn’t. Instead, He resurrects them, forces them to revisit their sins, prevents them from dying prematurely, and then distracts them from killing each other by raining down and raising up fire, at which point they suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

Quote:
M: I asked, “If it were possible to hide from God in judgment, would evil men and angels avoid suffering and death?” To which you responded, “They could for that cause . . .” I assumed the “cause” you were referring to was God. That is, if the presence of God were the only cause of suffering and death, then, if it were it possible to hide from Him, suffering and death could be avoided.

T: "So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable." The problem isn't God.

I hear you saying neither the character of God nor the radiant firelight of His person and presence will cause them to suffer or to die. Is that what you believe?

Quote:
M: Do you think sin is the only thing that causes suffering and death in judgment?

T: Whether in the judgment or not, all suffering and death is the result of sin.

I hear you saying neither the character of God nor the radiant firelight of His person and presence will cause them to suffer or to die. Is that what you believe?

Quote:
M: When do you think God’s character gives life to the righteous? Do you think it is what resurrects them? Or, do you think it gives them life afterward? If so, how does it differ from the life they already have?

T: "He who has the Son, has life." This happens when one believes. Eternal life starts before the resurrection.

If they are already alive, why, then, is it necessary for God to resurrect them? Does the same thing apply to the death of the wicked? That is, since they’re dead, why is it necessary for God to resurrect them?

Again, in what sense does the fire of God’s glory give life to the righteous and take life from the wicked?

Quote:
M: Do you think it is necessary for God to cause their heart to beat 1) during judgment, and 2) after judgment? Do you think they would die if He didn’t? And, do you think they die because God stops causing their heart to beat?

T: MM, these questions don't make sense to me. For example, "Do you think they would die if He didn’t?" It sounds from this question that you are thinking after the resurrection human beings won't have hearts that beat? Or you have some doubt about this? Am I understanding you correctly?

I’m trying to figure out the cause of death. Does sin cause their heart to stop beating, their minds to stop thinking, their lungs to stop breathing, or what? From this I can work backward and ascertain what God does to prevent them from reaping the results of sin now and in judgment. Also, if sinners come out of the grave in the same state they entered it, what about the ones who died of organ failure? How can those same organs support life in judgment? Jesus was perfectly healthy, nevertheless, His frail and fragile frame required supernatural aid to live long enough to accomplish His work on the cross. Why do you think resurrected sinners, especially those who have diseased and dilapidated organs, will be able to live long enough to revisit millions of sins, one at a time, and suffer like Jesus did? Will God keep them alive supernaturally?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121134
10/29/09 09:30 PM
10/29/09 09:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I don't see where you addressed 121085 and 121089?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121138
10/30/09 12:43 AM
10/30/09 12:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T: Satan, like every other lost being who has refused Christ's offer of pardon, must bear the responsibility for what he has done. Since he created sin, his responsibility is greater than any others, but he doesn't bear anyone's sins in the sense of an atonement.

M:Lucifer didn't create sin. It originated with him, but he didn't create it.[/quote]

This doesn't make sense. If it originated with Lucifer, then he created it. There are no other candidates. God certainly didn't create it. Satan is the author of sin and all its results.

Quote:
"Sin is the transgression of the law. This is the only definition of sin. Without the law there can be no transgression. {7BC 951.3}} Sin is the result of FMAs breaking the law of God.

Don't know what your point it.

Quote:

T: You can't divide that penalty of sins between Christ and Satan. When Christ said, "Let the punishment fall on Me!" this punishment involved the sins of all. Regarding the scapegoat, note from the EW quote that it's not only Satan's responsibility for what he's done to the righteous that's involved, but for what he's done to the wicked as well.

M:Jesus earned the right on the cross to own the sin of the world. With it comes the responsibility of eliminating it. It rests with Jesus to eliminate sin. The elimination of sin requires the death of sinners.

Sin destroys those who practice it. It requires no arbitrary action on the part of God to destroy those who practice it (see DA 764). This (God's destroying the wicked by means of an arbitrary act of power) would only be necessary if sin were innocuous.

Quote:
This Jesus accomplishes by destroying evil men and angels in the lake of fire.

Sin destroys sinners.

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (GC 36)

Quote:
God destroys no man. Everyone who is destroyed will have destroyed himself. Everyone who stifles the admonitions of conscience is sowing the seeds of unbelief, and these will produce a sure harvest.(COL 84)

Quote:
The sins of the saved are eliminated with Satan. No sinners means no sin.

The sins of the saved were eliminated by Christ who sanctified the saved. Sin, as you quoted above, is the transgression of the law. It's not a substance, like a book or something that can be taken from one person and given to another, but is (again, as you quoted) transgression of the law, which are thoughts or decisions one makes. Thoughts and decisions cannot be literally transferred from one being to another.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121139
10/30/09 12:46 AM
10/30/09 12:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Earlier you said the “form” of the Father, in the passage above, refers to the attributes of His character.

Please quote what I wrote.

Quote:
Beholding His character, you said, would have caused Ellen to die.

Please quote what I wrote.

Quote:
Three things:

1. “He who contemplates God's glory and infinite love, will have humble views of himself, but by beholding the character of God, he will be changed into His divine image. {TMK 175.4} Why do you think beholding His “form” would have killed her?
2. “By beholding the character of Christ you will become changed into His likeness. {AG 299.2} Why didn’t beholding the “form” of Jesus kill her?
3. “He sent His Son into the world, that through His taking the human form and nature, humanity and divinity combined in Him would elevate man in the scale of moral value with God. {1SM 340.3} “It was in the order of God that Christ should take upon himself the form and nature of fallen man . . . {4aSG 115.3} If, as you say, “form” means “character”, then, according to these passages, Jesus took the sinful character of man.

I'm not understanding your questions. They seem to be based on what look to me to be funny assumptions.

Perhaps you could quote what I wrote, and I could comment on that.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121140
10/30/09 01:13 AM
10/30/09 01:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Do you think those times when divinity flashed through humanity, when Jesus was here in the flesh, may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character, to cause the death of those who rejected Jesus?

T: I don't think of it this way.

Here’s what you wrote about it earlier on this thread: “[Divinity flashing through humanity] did have the effect of causing suffering. They ran away from Christ's presence. Also the divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” So, as you see, the thought at least crossed your mind.

What post is this? I imagine I was responding to some question you asked.

Quote:

M: What do you think would have happened had Jesus not restricted the duration or intensity? Do you think running and hiding from Jesus played a part in preventing their death?

T: I think these questions are rather odd, but the following may shed some light on what you're asking:

Please bear in mind you brought it up first.

That seems unlikely to me. This way of thinking is a lot more yours than mine. It seems likely to me you brought it up, and I was responding to some question of yours.

Quote:

M: Also, in judgment, what do you think God will do to prevent His character from causing the wicked to die prematurely?

T: Why would this matter? Why are you asking this?

M:It matters because if they die prematurely it wouldn’t serve the intended purpose. I’m asking because I don’t know what you believe. If, as you say, God must work now to prevent His character from causing sinners to die, it begs the question – How does He prevent them from reaping the results of sin?

Please look at DA 764. This is where this is discussed.

Quote:

M: Do you think it is necessary for God to subject the wicked to a full, unveiled, unrestricted revelation of His character for them to suffer and die?

T: Anyway, to answer your question, it's not necessary for God to do anything specific to cause the wicked to suffer and die.

M:I hear you saying God will do nothing that will result in them suffering and dying. Is that what you believe?

Are you concluding this from the fact that I said, "It's not necessary for God to do anything specific to cause the wicked to suffer and die."? Or from something else I wrote?

I would say God is not responsible for the wicked's suffering and dying. I'm not sure what you mean by saying "God will do nothing." For example, if God did not give a person life to begin with, a person wouldn't suffer or die. I'm certainly not saying anything like that. Some of your questions lead me to think you think along these lines.

Quote:
I could believe you if God left them dead in the grave.

Like this. You seem to want to make God responsible for the suffering and death of the wicked. I disagree with this idea.

Quote:
But He doesn’t. Instead, He resurrects them, forces them to revisit their sins, prevents them from dying prematurely, and then distracts them from killing each other by raining down and raising up fire, at which point they suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

He distracts them from killing each other by raining down and raising up fire? You certainly have a fertile mind!

One could just as easily argue that God is responsible for the suffering and death that exists before the resurrection as well, since everyone receives life from God in the here and now just as much as in the resurrection.

Quote:

M: I asked, “If it were possible to hide from God in judgment, would evil men and angels avoid suffering and death?” To which you responded, “They could for that cause . . .” I assumed the “cause” you were referring to was God. That is, if the presence of God were the only cause of suffering and death, then, if it were it possible to hide from Him, suffering and death could be avoided.

T: "So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable." The problem isn't God.

M:I hear you saying neither the character of God nor the radiant firelight of His person and presence will cause them to suffer or to die. Is that what you believe?

You're getting this from my saying, "The problem isn't God"?

Quote:

M: Do you think sin is the only thing that causes suffering and death in judgment?

T: Whether in the judgment or not, all suffering and death is the result of sin.

M:I hear you saying neither the character of God nor the radiant firelight of His person and presence will cause them to suffer or to die. Is that what you believe?

This is because I'm saying that all suffering and death is the result of sin?

Quote:

M: When do you think God’s character gives life to the righteous? Do you think it is what resurrects them? Or, do you think it gives them life afterward? If so, how does it differ from the life they already have?

T: "He who has the Son, has life." This happens when one believes. Eternal life starts before the resurrection.

M:If they are already alive, why, then, is it necessary for God to resurrect them?

Are you doubting that eternal life begins now?

Quote:
Does the same thing apply to the death of the wicked? That is, since they’re dead, why is it necessary for God to resurrect them?

What? Since they're dead, why it is necessary for God to resurrect them?

Quote:
Again, in what sense does the fire of God’s glory give life to the righteous and take life from the wicked?

In the sense explained in DA 108.

Quote:

M: Do you think it is necessary for God to cause their heart to beat 1) during judgment, and 2) after judgment? Do you think they would die if He didn’t? And, do you think they die because God stops causing their heart to beat?

T: MM, these questions don't make sense to me. For example, "Do you think they would die if He didn’t?" It sounds from this question that you are thinking after the resurrection human beings won't have hearts that beat? Or you have some doubt about this? Am I understanding you correctly?

M:I’m trying to figure out the cause of death.

Good luck!

Quote:
Does sin cause their heart to stop beating, their minds to stop thinking, their lungs to stop breathing, or what? From this I can work backward and ascertain what God does to prevent them from reaping the results of sin now and in judgment. Also, if sinners come out of the grave in the same state they entered it, what about the ones who died of organ failure? How can those same organs support life in judgment? Jesus was perfectly healthy, nevertheless, His frail and fragile frame required supernatural aid to live long enough to accomplish His work on the cross. Why do you think resurrected sinners, especially those who have diseased and dilapidated organs, will be able to live long enough to revisit millions of sins, one at a time, and suffer like Jesus did? Will God keep them alive supernaturally?

I think this calls for some common sense. Take a person who was killed by being chopped up into little pieces. Clearly they would have to be raised in their condition before they were chopped up. Someone who died of organ failure would have to be resurrected in a condition where the organs were functioning well enough to live. A person who fell into a coma and then died some time after that would have to be raised in a pre-coma condition. And so on.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121165
10/30/09 05:57 PM
10/30/09 05:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
“I saw a throne, and on it sat the Father and the Son. I gazed on Jesus' countenance and admired His lovely person. The Father's person I could not behold, for a cloud of glorious light covered Him. I asked Jesus if His Father had a form like Himself. He said He had, but I could not behold it, for said He, "If you should once behold the glory of His person, you would cease to exist." {EW 54.2}

M: Earlier you said the “form” of the Father, in the passage above, refers to the attributes of His character. Beholding His character, you said, would have caused Ellen to die.

T: Please quote what I wrote.

Referring to the passage above I asked, “Do you think the glory of the form of the person of God refers to His righteous traits of character rather than to the form of His person?” You replied, “I believe it refers to God's traits of character, yes.”

Do you wish to change your mind? Please consider the following passage: “In the beginning, man was created in the likeness of God, not only in character, but in form and feature. {GC 644.3} Note that she contrasts form and character.

Quote:
M: Three things:

1. “He who contemplates God's glory and infinite love, will have humble views of himself, but by beholding the character of God, he will be changed into His divine image. {TMK 175.4}

M: Why do you think beholding His “form” would have killed her?

2. “By beholding the character of Christ you will become changed into His likeness. {AG 299.2}

M: Why didn’t beholding the “form” of Jesus kill her?

3. “He sent His Son into the world, that through His taking the human form and nature, humanity and divinity combined in Him would elevate man in the scale of moral value with God. {1SM 340.3} “It was in the order of God that Christ should take upon himself the form and nature of fallen man . . . {4aSG 115.3}

M: If, as you say, “form” means “character”, then, according to these passages, Jesus took the sinful character of man.

T: I'm not understanding your questions. They seem to be based on what look to me to be funny assumptions. Perhaps you could quote what I wrote, and I could comment on that.

Again, you wrote – ““I believe [“form” in this passage] refers to God's traits of character, yes.”

PS - You wrote this in 120987.

Page 44 of 105 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!