HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 105 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121231
11/03/09 03:56 PM
11/03/09 03:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, Jesus tasted, consumed, and conquered our sin and second death. So, how can you say the wicked will die like Jesus did? He laid down His own life and took it up again. Do you think the wicked will survive the second death like Jesus did?

Also, why do you think Moses survived seeing God's back but would have perished had he seen His face?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121234
11/03/09 04:13 PM
11/03/09 04:13 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom

Part 1:

Sin changes us so that God's very presence becomes a consuming fire. When Cain sinned he was still able to talk to God. Yet when God talked to his people who he just delivered from slavery people asked for God to talk to someone to give them God's message instead of hearing God speak directly. When this intecesser asked to see God, God told him that if he saw God's face, like Cain did, that he, Moses would die, so for Moses' protection he was hid in the cleft of the rock and only allowed to see the back of God.

The above quote contains error. There is no statement in all of the Bible or Ellen White to support that Cain saw God's face.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #121235
11/03/09 04:19 PM
11/03/09 04:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I believe the radiant firelight of God’s person and presence will cause them to suffer and die.

T: Why don't they die right away? If the "radiant firelight" of God's person and presence causes them to suffer and die, why is there physical fires around them causing them to suffer? Do these physical fires have nothing to do with their death?

Since Jesus Christ took our punishment upon Him, why didn't God's "radiant firelight" cause His suffering and death? Why weren't their literal fires around Him?

Does God's character have nothing to do with the suffering of the wicked? Is it only a physical thing, as opposed to spiritual? If not, what spiritual aspects are involved?

I notice in your explanations you make no reference to the cross, yet no truth can be understood apart from the cross. Does it not concern you that your thinking on this question doesn't involve the cross?

1. The radiant firelight of God's person and presence consumes the sin in sinners. It causes resurrected sinners to suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. Then they die. I'm not sure what effect or impact the literal fire will have on them.
2. Jesus tasted, consumed, and conquered our sin and second death. Satan's experience is that of the wicked.
3. The wicked hate the character of God. They find it repulsive. As they are being forced to revisit their sins during judgment they regret missing out on heaven for sinful reasons. They are sin-hardened and are, therefore, incapable of feeling shame and guilt like Jesus did on the cross. Their expereicne will that of Satan's.
4. Jesus earned the legal right, on the cross, to save penitent sinners and to destroy impenitent sinners.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121240
11/03/09 06:11 PM
11/03/09 06:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. What is their source of life while separated and cut off?

See DA 764.

Quote:
2. You said they are separated and cut off, what, then, is their source of life?

Wasn't me! See DA 764.

Quote:
3. Why hasn't the presence of God destroyed evil angels yet? What is their source of life? Why aren't they dead?

Of course God is their source of life. (This needs to be asked?) For the others, see DA 764.

Quote:
4. Why doesn't the glory of God consume and destroy them now? I assume you believe the glory of God is His character.

Yes, the glory of God is His character. This isn't the judgment.

Quote:
5. How does His character impart life? How does it slay alive the living?

To know God is eternal life. John 17 speaks of this. ST 1/20/90 discusses this in more detail.

Quote:
6. But it says mercy no longer pleads for the wicked.

Yes, and it also says that the principles of "mercy, kindness, and love" will be used. Interesting, isn't it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121241
11/03/09 06:18 PM
11/03/09 06:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, Jesus tasted, consumed, and conquered our sin and second death. So, how can you say the wicked will die like Jesus did?

I quoted from DA 753.

Quote:
He laid down His own life and took it up again. Do you think the wicked will survive the second death like Jesus did?

What?

Quote:
Also, why do you think Moses survived seeing God's back but would have perished had he seen His face?

Clearly this is referring to the revelation of God's character. Moses asked to see God's glory, and God revealed His character:

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, he prayed, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." In answer God declared, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty" (Exodus 33:18, 19; 34:6, 7).(God's Amazing Grace, page 322)

So seeing God's backside means that God gave Moses a limited revelation of His character, such that he could handle. Consider Isaiah's reaction when he saw the glory of God. He was "undone."

We can't bear the glory (character) of God without a knowledge of Him. Before Christ can come, His character must be reproduced in His people, or His coming (the brightness of His coming -- again referring to character, see DA 108!) would destroy everybody. So there must be a revelation and knowledge of God's character in these last days, to prepare for His coming.

Quote:
When, with sincere desire to know God, we allow our characters to be shaped by the light He gives, we place ourselves in a spiritual condition that makes further discernment of God’s character possible…Our perception of Him and our growing likeness to Him dovetail as one process. (Ty Gibson)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121242
11/03/09 06:32 PM
11/03/09 06:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T: Why don't they die right away? If the "radiant firelight" of God's person and presence causes them to suffer and die, why is there physical fires around them causing them to suffer? Do these physical fires have nothing to do with their death?

Since Jesus Christ took our punishment upon Him, why didn't God's "radiant firelight" cause His suffering and death? Why weren't their literal fires around Him?

Does God's character have nothing to do with the suffering of the wicked? Is it only a physical thing, as opposed to spiritual? If not, what spiritual aspects are involved?

I notice in your explanations you make no reference to the cross, yet no truth can be understood apart from the cross. Does it not concern you that your thinking on this question doesn't involve the cross?

MM:1. The radiant firelight of God's person and presence consumes the sin in sinners. It causes resurrected sinners to suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. Then they die. I'm not sure what effect or impact the literal fire will have on them.[/quote]

This is the physical rather than spiritual aspect I mentioned above. God's character, the focus of everything, doesn't fit in here.

Quote:
2. Jesus tasted, consumed, and conquered our sin and second death. Satan's experience is that of the wicked.
3. The wicked hate the character of God. They find it repulsive. As they are being forced to revisit their sins during judgment they regret missing out on heaven for sinful reasons. They are sin-hardened and are, therefore, incapable of feeling shame and guilt like Jesus did on the cross. Their expereicne will that of Satan's.

I think this is missing quite a bit, points which are brought out by Kevin H's post.

Quote:
4. Jesus earned the legal right, on the cross, to save penitent sinners and to destroy impenitent sinners.

I think this is a rather arbitrary way of looking at things, if it does not take into account the importance of certain principles, such as that death is the inevitable result of sin, that the light of the glory of God (which is the revelation of His character) which gives life to the righteous slays the wicked, to name a couple.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121243
11/03/09 06:39 PM
11/03/09 06:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The above quote contains error. There is no statement in all of the Bible or Ellen White to support that Cain saw God's face.

I'm sure Kevin has a reason for saying this. I'll see if I can contact him regarding this question.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121244
11/03/09 11:22 PM
11/03/09 11:22 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
So it seems you are suggesting that any sort of death would work. In this case, why would God choose such an inhumane method? That doesn't make sense to me. Especially when GC 541-543 tells us that God will use the principles of "kindness, mercy and love" in the judgment, as well as telling us that the exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary with themselves. It doesn't seem to me that anyone would voluntarily choose to be set on fire for days. I think that's something you'd have to force upon someone.

Tom,

You speak as if you should be invested with the authority to dictate to God what is humane and what is not humane in terms of the punishment which He chooses for the lost. The very fact that God raises the wicked dead blows your argument out of this world, because the "humane" thing would be to leave them dead. Why punish the dead with death if they are already in said condition? There is absolutely no usefulness in giving them life back and then punishing them, is there? It is cruel, inhumane treatment--even torture (by your arbitrary standards) to raise them up to see what they have lost and then punish them, some for days. It matters not what form the "suffering" takes, to have it last for "days" as we have been told through inspiration would be "inhumane" to Tom. Poor God cannot win Tom's admiration. God is too inhumane to treat sinners this way!

I'm speaking tongue-in-cheek to make a point. The point is, we, as sinners, are in no position to tell God what He should do. When God has told us what He WILL do, we are also in no position to question it. I read in both the Bible and in Ellen White that the sinners will burn, that they will suffer, some for days, until they are at last consumed and sin is no more. I read that Sodom and Gommorah suffered "the vengeance of eternal fire" as an example. They will yet suffer again. Why? Does this seem "humane" to you?

Tom, I must say I do not base my position on this issue on any fanciful thoughts I might have about what is or is not "humane." Do you realize that in all of the times Mrs. White used the word "humane," not one of them was in reference to the punishment of the wicked? Punishment is just that--punishment. It is not meant to be pleasant...and "humane" is a thoroughly subjective word. We could likely get into an argument here about how "humane" it is for parents to spank children. Some people think it is more "humane" to let kids do whatever they want. Such "mercy" is falsely so-called. God's mercy is not of this form. It is not shallow and unbalanced.

The following quote from Christ's Object Lessons shows the balance on this issue well.
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The long-suffering of God is wonderful. Long does justice wait while mercy pleads with the sinner. But "righteousness and judgment are the establishment of His throne." Psalm 97:2, margin. "The Lord is slow to anger;" but He is "great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the Lord hath His way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of His feet." Nahum 1:3. {COL 177.4}
The world has become bold in transgression of God's law. Because of His long forbearance, men have trampled upon His authority. They have strengthened one another in oppression and cruelty toward His heritage, saying, "How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the Most High?" Psalm 73:11. But there is a line beyond which they cannot pass. The time is near when they will have reached the prescribed limit. Even now they have almost exceeded the bounds of the long-suffering of God, the limits of His grace, the limits of His mercy. The Lord will interpose to vindicate His own honor, to deliver His people, and to repress the swellings of unrighteousness. {COL 177.5}
In Noah's day, men had disregarded the law of God until almost all remembrance of the Creator had passed away from the earth. Their iniquity reached so great a height that the Lord brought a flood of waters upon the earth, and swept away its wicked inhabitants. {COL 178.1}
From age to age the Lord has made known the manner of His working. When a crisis has come, He has revealed Himself, and has interposed to hinder the working out of Satan's plans. With nations, with families, and with individuals, He has often permitted matters to come to a crisis, that His interference might become marked. Then He has made manifest that there is a God in Israel who will maintain His law and vindicate His people. {COL 178.2}
In this time of prevailing iniquity we may know that the last great crisis is at hand. When the defiance of God's law is almost universal, when His people are oppressed and afflicted by their fellow men, the Lord will interpose. {COL 178.3}
The time is near when He will say, "Come, My people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast. For, behold, the Lord cometh out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity; the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain." Isaiah 26:20, 21. Men who claim to be Christians may now defraud and oppress the poor; they may rob the widow and fatherless; they may indulge their Satanic hatred because they cannot control the consciences of God's people; but for all this God will bring them into judgment. They "shall have judgment without mercy" that have "showed no mercy." (James 2:13.) Not long hence they will stand before the Judge of all the earth, to render an account for the pain they have caused to the bodies and souls of His heritage. They may now indulge in false accusations, they may deride those whom God has appointed to do His work, they may consign His believing ones to prison, to the chain gang, to banishment, to death; but for every pang of anguish, every tear shed, they must answer. God will reward them double for their sins. Concerning Babylon, the symbol of the apostate church, He says to His ministers of judgment, "Her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double." Revelation 18:5, 6. {COL 178.4}
From India, from Africa, from China, from the islands of the sea, from the downtrodden millions of so-called Christian lands, the cry of human woe is ascending to God. That cry will not long be unanswered. God will cleanse the earth from it moral corruption, not by a sea of water as in Noah's day, but by a sea of fire that cannot be quenched by any human devising. {COL 179.1}

Mrs. White here speaks in gentle terms of how God will visit the wicked. But it is clear that when He does, several things are true:

1. God's mercy has been exhausted; the limits to it, passed.
2. God will take vengeance in order to vindicate His own.
3. God will reward DOUBLE for the sins of the wicked.
4. The wicked have no choice about whether or not to receive their just rewards ("cannot be quenched by any human devising").
5. The wicked will not be receiving a gentle slap on the hand.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121245
11/03/09 11:25 PM
11/03/09 11:25 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

I'm sure Kevin has a reason for saying this. I'll see if I can contact him regarding this question.

I'm sure he has a reason too, as it appears to be his premise upon which the rest of his argument has been built.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #121248
11/04/09 03:06 AM
11/04/09 03:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:So it seems you are suggesting that any sort of death would work. In this case, why would God choose such an inhumane method? That doesn't make sense to me. Especially when GC 541-543 tells us that God will use the principles of "kindness, mercy and love" in the judgment, as well as telling us that the exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary with themselves. It doesn't seem to me that anyone would voluntarily choose to be set on fire for days. I think that's something you'd have to force upon someone.

GC:Tom,

You speak as if you should be invested with the authority to dictate to God what is humane and what is not humane in terms of the punishment which He chooses for the lost.

What did I write that gave you this impression?

Quote:
The very fact that God raises the wicked dead blows your argument out of this world, because the "humane" thing would be to leave them dead. Why punish the dead with death if they are already in said condition? There is absolutely no usefulness in giving them life back and then punishing them, is there?

If this is what were happening, I would agree with you. But there's more to it than what is being suggested.

Quote:
"Who shall not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for Thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before Thee; for Thy judgments are made manifest." Verse 4. Every question of truth and error in the long-standing controversy has now been made plain. The results of rebellion, the fruits of setting aside the divine statutes, have been laid open to the view of all created intelligences. The working out of Satan's rule in contrast with the government of God has been presented to the whole universe. Satan's own works have condemned him. God's wisdom, His justice, and His goodness stand fully vindicated. It is seen that all His dealings in the great controversy have been conducted with respect to the eternal good of His people and the good of all the worlds that He has created. "All Thy works shall praise Thee, O Lord; and Thy saints shall bless Thee." Psalm 145:10. The history of sin will stand to all eternity as a witness that with the existence of God's law is bound up the happiness of all the beings He has created. With all the facts of the great controversy in view, the whole universe, both loyal and rebellious, with one accord declare: "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints."

Before the universe has been clearly presented the great sacrifice made by the Father and the Son in man's behalf.
(GC 670,671)

The lost are part of the "entire universe" that is to render judgment upon God. The Great Controversy is about God; His character, His actions throughout time. It will be see by all that He has been falsely accused; that He is just. The lost could not be a part of this if they were not resurrected.

Quote:
GC:It is cruel, inhumane treatment--even torture (by your arbitrary standards) to raise them up to see what they have lost and then punish them, some for days. It matters not what form the "suffering" takes, to have it last for "days" as we have been told through inspiration would be "inhumane" to Tom. Poor God cannot win Tom's admiration. God is too inhumane to treat sinners this way!

If this is what were happening, I'd agree with you, but I don't think this is what will happen.

Quote:
I'm speaking tongue-in-cheek to make a point. The point is, we, as sinners, are in no position to tell God what He should do.

Of course not. But God has put Himself on the line, to be investigated. The judgment is, first and foremost, about God. The entire universe will recognize God's beauty of character. This is what the Great Controversy is all about.

Quote:
When God has told us what He WILL do, we are also in no position to question it.

It seems to me that the perspective being suggested looks at what God does in a very negative light, which may follow from thinking that God will burn people alive.

What one perceives as the issues that are really important colors what one thinks will happen, and why.

If one perceives that the issue is that God has been tread upon, and who is one who should dare to act contrary to His wishes, and He must take vengeance on those with such audacity, causing them the worst suffering, to prove His might and justice, that leads to one set of conclusions (this is the impression I get from your writings; I'd be happy to have you correct any wrong impressions I have).

If one perceives that God has been maligned and misrepresented as a being who relies on power and force and violence to get His way, but is in reality unbelievable kind, gentle and humble, trying insofar as in His power to rescue His creatures from the terrible results of sin/selfishness, that leads to another set of conclusions.

Quote:
I read in both the Bible and in Ellen White that the sinners will burn, that they will suffer, some for days, until they are at last consumed and sin is no more.

Do you not read that God is a consuming fire? Do you not read that the glory of God will destroy the wicked? Do you not read that the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked? Do you not read that Jesus suffered the anguish which the wicked will suffer when mercy no longer pleads for the guilty race? Do you not read that Jesus suffered the penalty that will fall upon the wicked? Do you not read that the principles of kindness, mercy and love will be used in the judgment? Do you not read that the exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary with themselves?

I don't recall you're addressing these issues. A lot has been revealed to us in regards to the final judgment and the destruction of the wicked. Not just one passage that describes fire coming down from heaven to destroy them.

I don't understand how one could think this fire is literal, considering the above. Would anyone voluntarily choose to be set on fire? That doesn't make much sense. How could setting someone on fire to burn for days be characterized as "kindness, mercy, and love"? How could this fire be characterized as "the glory of Him who is love"? How could this same thing that slays the wicked give life to the righteous?

How is this idea even remotely, in the slightest degree, in harmony with God's character as revealed by Jesus Christ?

From GC 536:

Quote:
How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live. Yet this doctrine has been widely taught and is still embodied in many of the creeds of Christendom....

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?...

What would be gained to God should we admit that He delights in witnessing unceasing tortures... (GC 535)

As I recall, when I asked you if there was any difference between the view described here and yours, other than the time duration, you were unable to come up with anything. The things she writes here are not solely dependent upon the time element. If burning someone alive is "unceasing tortures," than doing so for a finite amount of time is "ceasing tortures."

Quote:
I read that Sodom and Gommorah suffered "the vengeance of eternal fire" as an example. They will yet suffer again. Why? Does this seem "humane" to you?

I don't perceive God as acting in any inhumanely. God has no desire that they suffer or die, nor does He do anything to cause this to happen.

Quote:
Tom, I must say I do not base my position on this issue on any fanciful thoughts I might have about what is or is not "humane."

GC, how can you characterize burning someone alive as being inhumane as a "fanciful thought"? Consider Ellen White's questions immediately above.

Even on our sin-cursed earth, no government burns people alive as a punishment, let alone keep them alive so they can suffer more. Such actions we could only characterize as torture. Even supposing that the wicked die because God imposes a punishment upon them, why would He choose such an inhumane one? Would you choose to treat your wife or child or mother in such a way? Or, if they had to be exterminated, would you not choose a more humane form of punishment? Are you more humane than God?

Quote:
Do you realize that in all of the times Mrs. White used the word "humane," not one of them was in reference to the punishment of the wicked?

She uses the words "kindness," "mercy," and "love" in conjunction with the punishment of the wicked. She characterizes the idea of burning them alive forever as "unceasing tortures."

Quote:
Punishment is just that--punishment. It is not meant to be pleasant...and "humane" is a thoroughly subjective word.

DA 764 brings out that the destruction of the wicked is the result of the choice of the wicked, as opposed to something God imposes upon them. The unpleasantness of sin causes there suffering, not anything God imposes upon them. God is incapable of doing the things you are attributing to Him. Just look at Jesus Christ. Can one imagine Him setting people on fire? When He was urged to do so, He sighed, "You know not what spirit you are of."

Quote:
We could likely get into an argument here about how "humane" it is for parents to spank children.

Some parents burn their children as a form of punishment (for example, with cigarettes). Is this possibly humane?

Quote:
Some people think it is more "humane" to let kids do whatever they want. Such "mercy" is falsely so-called. God's mercy is not of this form. It is not shallow and unbalanced.

The following quote from Christ's Object Lessons shows the balance on this issue well....

Mrs. White here speaks in gentle terms of how God will visit the wicked. But it is clear that when He does, several things are true:

1. God's mercy has been exhausted; the limits to it, passed.
2. God will take vengeance in order to vindicate His own.
3. God will reward DOUBLE for the sins of the wicked.
4. The wicked have no choice about whether or not to receive their just rewards ("cannot be quenched by any human devising").
5. The wicked will not be receiving a gentle slap on the hand.

This is from "The Great Controversy"

Quote:
The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.

The Saviour's prophecy concerning the visitation of judgments upon Jerusalem is to have another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was but a faint shadow. In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law. Dark are the records of human misery that earth has witnessed during its long centuries of crime. The heart sickens, and the mind grows faint in contemplation. Terrible have been the results of rejecting the authority of Heaven. But a scene yet darker is presented in the revelations of the future. The records of the past,--the long procession of tumults, conflicts, and revolutions, the "battle of the warrior . . . with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood" (Isaiah 9:5),-- what are these, in contrast with the terrors of that day when the restraining Spirit of God shall be wholly withdrawn from the wicked ... no longer to hold in check the outburst of human passion and satanic wrath! The world will then behold, as never before, the results of Satan's rule. (GC 36, 37; ellipses original)

This brings out that there was never a more decisive testimony as to God's hatred of sin and the certainty of punishment than what happened in Jerusalem.

The thing is, sin and Satan have devastating power to destroy. This is the fruit of selfishness. God destroys by His love and goodness. As God sends light, if rejected, the heart is hardened, as per Pharaoh. God is caused to remove His protection, and the results are as seen in Jerusalem, the most decisive testimony as to His hatred of sin and to the certainty of punishment of the wicked.

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan.(ibid)

God should not be looked upon as the executioner of the sentence against transgression. God sends light, and if that light is rejected, that leads to destruction, as God is caused to remove His protection.

Page 48 of 105 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!