HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,269 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 50 of 105 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121278
11/05/09 12:03 AM
11/05/09 12:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, your view of judgment skips several steps in the process. You have the wicked suffering and dying during arraignment. What kind of judgment causes the guilty to suffer and die when the evidence is presented?

MM, I've specifically pointed out that the lost do not die prematurely, before they've seen the evidence, and I've also quoted from GC, the last chapter, which speaks of all the lost recognizing that God has acted justly throughout time. Obviously they couldn't do this if they were dead.

Quote:
Perhaps this accounts for why you don't understand why they are still alive after judgment ends?

They can't be alive after the judgment ends because their death is a part of the judgment.

Quote:
That is, presenting the evidence is not what causes them to suffer or die. As in other court cases, sentencing follows the evidence and verdict. In cases involving capital punishment, such as the cases of the resurrected wicked, the execution of the death penalty requires the assistance of executioners. It doesn't make sense what you believe, that is, that merely presenting the evidence will execute them.

Many of the disagreements I have with you I think stem from the idea that you appear to have that heaven is like our judicial system, and that God, in general, works in accordance with the principles of Western justice.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121281
11/05/09 01:59 AM
11/05/09 01:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:The fact that "there's more to it than what is being suggested" does not negate the fact that "what is being suggested" is true.

It might not, depending upon the circumstances, but in this I think the concepts being presented are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Dead people know nothing, and cannot suffer. God will raise them from the dead, making it possible, even inevitable that they will suffer.

This isn't His design. They suffer because of the choices that are made. The same thing could be said about people that God allows to live in the here and now.

Quote:
That God has a greater purpose to accomplish, making the suffering unavoidable, is a valid explanation. The problem is that you do not accept it as valid for physical pain caused by fire, but you accept it as valid for mental pain that is more terrible than fire.

In neither case is God the cause of the suffering, which is the point. God neither imposes physical nor mental suffering upon the lost. They suffer because of the choices they themselves make. This point is reiterated time and again in DA 764.

Quote:
A:And your more humane version is mental anguish to the point of eternal death, which Ty Gibson says is worse than fire.

That's not what he said. He said the flame which burns is worse than any physical flame. This is because of the emotional pain involved, because of the sense of loss, which Kevin H's post (especially Part 2) bring out.

God has created us to experience His love through Christ. Christ is the Desire of Ages, the vacuum in all of our souls, until we find Him. The wicked become conscious of this in the judgment, as well as of the true bearing of the decisions they have made and the character they have formed.

If you've lost someone dear, you have an idea of the pain Ty is speaking of, of the flame which burns that is more terrible than a physical flame. But this should not be twisted to try to make Ty say something he's not saying. He's saying the opposite of the idea that God is causing the wicked pain worse than that of burning them alive.

Quote:
I believe this is another case of you seeing only what you expect to see, in spite of the evidence. You expect the "mental anguish" view to be good, and the "literal fire" view to be bad. Even when Ty Gibson himself says that the mental anguish is worse than the fire, you still can't see that your "humane" argument is illogical.

It seems to me clear that you're simply not understanding what Ty said (I'm sure he and I are on the same page regarding this). Regarding my expectations, I was a Calvinist believing in eternal hell before becoming an Adventist. If I saw things according to my expectations, I certainly wouldn't be seeing things the way I do now. I've followed the evidence where it has led me, which is to the overwhelming conviction that God is just like Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Also, it seems to me that you believe physical pain is the worst thing that can happen to someone.

Not at all! This was Ty's point! This is why he said the flame which burned was worse than any physical flame. There are things worse than physical pain, but the fact that this is true isn't carte blanche for imposing physical pain upon someone.

Quote:
Given the two options of being on fire for days and being unholy in the presence of God for days, you say that the fire is worse. I say being on fire would be insignificant compared to standing before God while clinging to sin.

This isn't the point. To catch the point one must consider what *God* is doing. What actions does God take? What I'm taking issue with is the idea that God would take the action of burning people alive, something which is obviously inhumane, which is clearly seen that even in this sin-cursed earth such treatment is not allowed, and is universally considered torture.

In the view that Ty presented, and that I've presented, God is taking no arbitrary (i.e. imposed) action whatsoever to cause the pain of the wicked. It's true that He raises them to participate in the judgment, but He has no desire that they suffer or die. They suffer and die because of the choices they themselves have made and continue to make.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121297
11/05/09 05:37 PM
11/05/09 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed . . . all behold the enormity of their guilt.”
2. “They vainly seek to hide from the divine majesty of His countenance, outshining the glory of the sun . . .”
3. “The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah . . . Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them.”
4. “Fire comes down from God out of heaven.”
5. “The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire.”
6. “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished according to their deeds.”
7. “In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed.”

Quote:
M: Do you think 1, 4, and 6 describe the same thing, and that chronologically 4 and 6 belong with 1?

T: No. I think the last thing that happens is item 7.

M: Do you think the chronology above is accurate? Or, do you think the events listed above will play out in a different chronological order? If so, please list them in the order you think they will play out.

T: Here's what I think will happen, MM. The wicked are resurrected. They are led by Satan to attack the city. As they are about to attack, Jesus Christ is revealed. The wicked appear individually before the judgment seat of Christ at this point in time. (This is represented by the law being written in letters of fire, the scenes of Jesus Christ's life being presented, the wicked being conscious of every sin, seeing where they went wrong, seeing how much God loved each one and what He was doing for them, etc.)

After seeing this, the wicked realize, and recognize, that God has been just in all His ways. As they recognize God's righteousness, the entire universe is now of one accord that God has acted justly throughout time. All recognize that God is not at fault in anything that happened. Satan tries to lead the wicked who are still alive to once again attack. They turn on him. The wicked die. The earth will be cleansed by fire. I see various possibilities for how the wicked die, but see no need to go into them.

Tom, you didn’t answer my question – Do you think 4 and 6 are out of chronological order? In other words, do you think chronologically they happen before 3 and 5?

Also, why do you think the wicked continue to live after revisiting their sins?

And, do you agree that something happens that causes brain, blood, and breath functions to cease resulting in second death?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121299
11/05/09 07:34 PM
11/05/09 07:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
1. What is their source of life while separated and cut off?

T: See DA 764.

“By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how resurrected sinners live while separated and cut off from God?

T: I suggest you look at the part in DA 764 which is addressing your question.

This is fun. Like a treasure hunt. I keep guessing and you keep refusing to tell me until I guess right. So, playing along, here’s my next guess: “God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.”

Did I find it? If so, in what way do you think the “existence” God gives them differs from the source of life they were separated and cut off from?

Quote:
2. You said they are separated and cut off, what, then, is their source of life?

T: Wasn't me! See DA 764.

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how resurrected sinners live while separated and cut off from God?

T: The statement says: “God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.” You're asking what keeps them alive when the cut themselves off from life?

Yes. I believe the source of life is the same before, during, and after they revisit their sins in judgment, namely, the breath of life. True, God must also work tirelessly ensuring their life functions operate correctly. Do you think God does this during and after they revisit their sins in judgment?

I’m asking these kinds of questions because I’m trying to figure out why you think sinners are able to revisit their sins, one at a time during judgment, without dying prematurely. If I understand your view correctly, you think revisiting sin in the context of judgment is what will cause resurrected sinners to suffer and die.

You also believe revisiting one of the lesser sins will be sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death. Naturally, then, I am curious as to who or what you think will prevent the vilest of sinners from dying prematurely after revisiting the first of their greater sins.

Quote:
3. Why hasn't the presence of God destroyed evil angels yet? What is their source of life? Why aren't they dead?

T: Of course God is their source of life. (This needs to be asked?) For the others, see DA 764.

“Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. {DA 764.2}

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Do you think this is what is happening?

I think their source of life is the same as ours, namely, the breath of life. I also think God works to ensure their life functions operate correctly.

Quote:
M: Also, why do think God is their source of life?

T: God is the source of all life. That's evident. What else would be the source of their life, if not God? "God is the fountain of life" is saying this.

Thank you for answering my question.

Quote:
M: And, why do you think they can appear in the presence of God without being consumed to death?

T: Do they do this? (appear in God's presence)

According to you they do. In heaven, they willfully sinned in the presence of God without suffering or dying. Why do you think they were able to appear in the presence of God without being consumed to death?

Quote:
M: Finally, what does God do to prevent them from reaping the real results of sinning?

T: According to DA 764, if God left them to reap the full result of their sin, they would perish, so, clearly, God is not leaving them to this.

Yes, Tom, we both agree God works to prevent them from reaping the real results of sinning – suffering ending in second death. But that’s not what my question is addressing. My question assumes this is an undeniable fact. What I want to know is what you think God does to prevent it from happening now? How does He stop sin from killing them now? And, how does He prevent sin from killing them prematurely as they revisit their sins, one at a time, in judgment?

Quote:
4. Why doesn't the glory of God consume and destroy them now? I assume you believe the glory of God is His character.

T: Yes, the glory of God is His character. This isn't the judgment.

M: Why do you think the character of God does not kill the evil angels now but it will in judgment? How does God prevent His character from killing them now (this is different than asking, What does God do to prevent them from reaping the real results of sinning)?

T: You're talking about DA 108? I'd suggest looking at the passage, and consider the principles explained in the passage, and apply them as best you can. I'll quote the passage in question:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32: 30.

Jacob had been guilty of a great sin in his conduct toward Esau; but he had repented. His transgression had been forgiven, and his sin purged; therefore he could endure the revelation of God's presence. But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 107-108)

This explains what happens and why. For example, one principle mentioned is that Christ's presence made manifest their sin, and only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. She doesn't say specifically what would happen if they abode in His presence, but we know that they ran away as fast as they could, so it must have been unpleasant for them.

“But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed.” Why didn’t this happen in heaven? Also, why do you think the character of God didn’t kill the evil angels while they were, according to you, willfully sinning in heaven in the presence of God? And, why doesn’t it kill them now? Why do you think it will kill them in judgment? If it hasn’t happened yet, why do you think it will in judgment?

Also, why do you think running and hiding from the physical presence of Jesus made it possible for them to abide in sin without experiencing second death?

Quote:
5. How does His character impart life? How does it slay alive the living?

T: To know God is eternal life. John 17 speaks of this. ST 1/20/90 discusses this in more detail.

M: If what you say is true, why, then, do heaven-bound people die and require resurrection? Also, why do resurrected sinners live in the presence of God’s character without perishing?

T: Eternal life is dealing with a quality of life, which we begin to experience now, and continues throughout eternity after the resurrection. Having eternal life does not mean you won't physically die. Regarding the second question, you've asked that, and I've answered it.

I agree that eternal life begins the moment we experience the miracle of rebirth. Abiding in Jesus, walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, partaking of the divine nature, growing in grace and maturing daily in the fruit of the Spirit is the essence of eternal life. However, these things do not become a reality until the instant we consciously confess and crucify our old man habits of sin and embrace Jesus as our personal Savior. It is at this precise point that God implants within us the righteous traits and attributes of His character, which cannot cohabitate with sin.

So, the question remains – How can the “light of the glory of God”, which you insist can only refer to His righteous character traits, “slay the wicked”? They must first confess and crucify our old man habits of sin and embrace Jesus as our personal Savior before they can receive the character traits of God, therefore, why do think the character traits of God will slay them?

Quote:
6. But it says mercy no longer pleads for the wicked.

T: Yes, and it also says that the principles of "mercy, kindness, and love" will be used. Interesting, isn't it?

M: How do you explain the apparent contradiction?

T: The wicked have so hardened their hearts that they are unable to receive mercy. As Fifield put it: “The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely. (God is Love)

This brings out that the problem is in the mind of the sinner. God doesn't change. God is forgiveness personified. He forgives not 7 times, but 70 times 7 (which means unlimited). But if one refuses pardon, eventually one hardens one's heart to the point of not being able to respond. This is the unpardonable sin.

So God continues to exercise the principles of mercy, kindness and love in the judgment, which is simply God acting in accordance with His character, which He always does, being just like Jesus Christ and not changing, but the wicked are unable to perceive the mercy, kindness and love of God. Sin causes them to believe things about God which are not true (Ty goes into this in what I posted previously).

I couldn’t find the quote "mercy, kindness, and love" (you posted above) in the SOP in the context of judgment. Are you referring to the following passage? If so, why do you think it says mercy, kindness, and love “will be used”? What do you mean by “will be used”?

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #121300
11/05/09 09:00 PM
11/05/09 09:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, Jesus tasted, consumed, and conquered our sin and second death. So, how can you say the wicked will die like Jesus did?

T: I quoted from DA 753.

“Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. {DA 753.2}

M: This insight does not address my question. Jesus didn’t die the second death. So, how can you say the wicked will die like Jesus did?

T: I quoted from DA 753. What I mean is, this is what I said (what DA 753 says). I've also quoted from DA chapter 1, which says that Jesus suffered the death that was ours. I don't think I've said something other than this.

You’re not addressing my point. I’m not talking about suffering; instead, I’m asking about death. I know you think the resurrected wicked will suffer in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did. But that’s not what I’m asking about. I’m asking – Do you think the resurrected wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did? If not, then is it safe to say we cannot learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Jesus laid down His life?

Quote:
M: Also, why do you think Moses survived seeing God's back but would have perished had he seen His face?

T: So seeing God's backside means that God gave Moses a limited revelation of His character, such that he could handle. Consider Isaiah's reaction when he saw the glory of God. He was "undone." We can't bear the glory (character) of God without a knowledge of Him. Before Christ can come, His character must be reproduced in His people, or His coming (the brightness of His coming -- again referring to character, see DA 108!) would destroy everybody. So there must be a revelation and knowledge of God's character in these last days, to prepare for His coming.

M: Do you think seeing God’s back is metaphorical? Or, did Moses literally see God’s back? If so, what can be discerned about God’s character by seeing His back? And, more importantly, why would seeing His face result in being consumed to death? Also, what would be the cause of death – mental or spiritual agony ending in cardiac arrest? If not, what?

T: I've written what I think happened.

So you don’t think Moses literally saw God’s back. You think it was symbolic of Moses spiritually comprehending the character of God to a limited degree, to a safe level, to a level of degree that did not kill him. Here’s the story:

Quote:
Exodus
33:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

33:18 And he said, I beseech thee, show me thy glory.
33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, [there is] a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

34:5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation].

Deuteronomy
34:10 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face.

“No man [shall] see me, and live.” So, you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are mere symbols. Is that what you believe? In other words, you think voice, hand, back, and face symbolize an increasing revelation and comprehension of God’s character? Moses was able to survive the first three levels or degrees of God’s character without being consumed to death. If so, why do you think it says Moses survived face-to-face encounters with God?

Also, you wrote, “We can't bear the glory (character) of God without a knowledge of Him.” Why do you think knowledge of God prevents the character of God from killing sinners? What is the difference between the two?

Quote:
M: When Jesus returns the Bible says His brightness will cause the flesh of the wicked to consume away. Listen: “And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.”

T: Look at DA 108 to see what this means.

Oh good, the guessing game. Here we go: “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." Did I find it? If so, what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

Quote:
M: You say Jesus fully revealed the character of God while He was here in the flesh. So, why do you think it didn’t cause sinners to consume away?

T: What I quoted from Ty addressed this.

Well now, another guessing game. This keeps getting better. Did Ty say something to effect that Jesus dumb downed God’s character therefore it didn’t kill them? That is, did Jesus somehow filter out the elements of God’s character that kills sinners?

Quote:
M: Do you think running away and hiding from Him prevented His character from causing them to consume away? Or, do you think they were able to survive His presence because they failed to comprehend His character? Actually, do you think it is necessary to comprehend His character in order to suffer and die? Otherwise, if they are clueless, how can it kill them?

T: I think they ran away from Christ because they were uncomfortable being around Him. DA 108 addresses this. I assume your questions are dealing with the judgment of the wicked. A number of things happens during that time. As God's character is manifest, the wicked become aware of their own ugliness of character, as well as their sin in its true bearing, as well as their guilt. A combination of these things brings them to the condition described in GC 543, which says their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, as well as DA 764, which speaks of their separating themselves from God. So there's a number of things to fit together. All the statements need to be considered together. Especially important is considering the cross, as all spiritual truth, to be properly understood, must be understood in the light of the cross. This is why I find the DA 764 passage especially helpful, since it explains the destruction of the wicked in the light of the cross.

I am talking about when Jesus was here in the flesh. Earlier on this thread you suggested the following: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989)

So, you believe that Jesus somehow dumb downed the revelation of God’s character to avoid killing them. Will God do something similar during judgment to prevent resurrected sinners from dying prematurely?

You also believe a combination of comprehending God's character and experiencing the full force of their sin and guilt in judgment cause them to voluntarily refuse their place in heaven and to physically cut themselves off from their only source of life. For the sake of discussion, though, what do you think would happen if they chose not to refuse their place in heaven or cut themselves off from their only source of life?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121306
11/06/09 02:28 AM
11/06/09 02:28 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
A:The fact that "there's more to it than what is being suggested" does not negate the fact that "what is being suggested" is true.

It might not, depending upon the circumstances, but in this I think the concepts being presented are mutually exclusive.

Here's what GC wrote:
Originally Posted By: GC
The very fact that God raises the wicked dead blows your argument out of this world, because the "humane" thing would be to leave them dead. Why punish the dead with death if they are already in said condition? There is absolutely no usefulness in giving them life back and then punishing them, is there?

If God's greatest concern was to minimize the suffering of the wicked, then leaving them dead is the most effective way. Don't you agree?

Therefore, since God will do something that will unavoidably result in excruciating pain for the wicked, there must be something He considers more important. Don't you agree?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121307
11/06/09 02:40 AM
11/06/09 02:40 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Dead people know nothing, and cannot suffer. God will raise them from the dead, making it possible, even inevitable that they will suffer.

This isn't His design. They suffer because of the choices that are made. The same thing could be said about people that God allows to live in the here and now.

Quote:
That God has a greater purpose to accomplish, making the suffering unavoidable, is a valid explanation. The problem is that you do not accept it as valid for physical pain caused by fire, but you accept it as valid for mental pain that is more terrible than fire.

In neither case is God the cause of the suffering, which is the point. God neither imposes physical nor mental suffering upon the lost. They suffer because of the choices they themselves make. This point is reiterated time and again in DA 764.

Well, if that's the case, I could go for that. Consider this formulation: It isn't God's design that people literally burn, but it's just what happens when God reveals His unveiled glory to the wicked. God doesn't cause the fire, it just happens because of the choices the wicked themselves made. God does not impose this literal fire on the wicked, it just happens naturally. Had the wicked chosen to be made godly, they would not be flammable in God's presence. That God was the one who raised them from the dead, enabling them to experience such suffering, is irrelevant.

How's that? I just gave the "literal fire" view the same loophole that you gave the "mental anguish" view.

So how would your "not imposed mental anguish" be considered less painful or less suffering than the "not imposed literal fire"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121309
11/06/09 02:49 AM
11/06/09 02:49 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
He said the flame which burns is worse than any physical flame.

Basically, you're saying that literal fire is terrible and God would never allow such a thing because it is torturous. However, there is mental anguish that is "worse than any physical flame" that God will allow, yet that is not torturous.

Here's what you're saying, in outline:
X is very bad.
God will not allow X because it is very bad.
Y is worse than X could ever be.
God will allow Y.

That makes no sense.

I wonder if kland agrees with this. I haven't seen him for a while.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121310
11/06/09 02:50 AM
11/06/09 02:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #121297, I wrote out what I think will happen.

Quote:
1. What is their source of life while separated and cut off?

T: See DA 764.

“By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

T: I suggest you look at the part in DA 764 which is addressing your question.

This is fun. Like a treasure hunt. I keep guessing and you keep refusing to tell me until I guess right. So, playing along, here’s my next guess: “God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.”

Did I find it? If so, in what way do you think the “existence” God gives them differs from the source of life they were separated and cut off from?

I keep saying I don't have anything to add to what DA 764 says in regards to this. I'm not trying hide anything from you.

Quote:
T: The statement says: “God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.” You're asking what keeps them alive when the cut themselves off from life?

M:Yes. I believe the source of life is the same before, during, and after they revisit their sins in judgment, namely, the breath of life. True, God must also work tirelessly ensuring their life functions operate correctly. Do you think God does this during and after they revisit their sins in judgment?

I’m asking these kinds of questions because I’m trying to figure out why you think sinners are able to revisit their sins, one at a time during judgment, without dying prematurely.

Why would this be any different than they're not dying prematurely before their life's history is being revisited? By the way, I've not said that there sins are revisited one by one, but that their life is reviewed. From what you write, it looks like God is fast-forwarding from one sin to the next. I've not said anything like this.

Quote:
If I understand your view correctly, you think revisiting sin in the context of judgment is what will cause resurrected sinners to suffer and die.

I've not said anything, as far as I recall, about "revisiting sin." I've spoken of their lives being revisited, and mentioned that this involves many things. I post from Kevin H., mentioning specifically Part 2, which goes into detail in regards to what I'm referring to.

Quote:
You also believe revisiting one of the lesser sins will be sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death.

I don't think I've written anything like this. I'm a bit puzzled how I'm communicating one thing, and you seem to be understanding another. Perhaps you could quote something I've written?

Quote:
Naturally, then, I am curious as to who or what you think will prevent the vilest of sinners from dying prematurely after revisiting the first of their greater sins.

God prevents sinners from dying prematurely, by the same means He uses now.

Quote:
3. Why hasn't the presence of God destroyed evil angels yet? What is their source of life? Why aren't they dead?

T: Of course God is their source of life. (This needs to be asked?) For the others, see DA 764.

“Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. {DA 764.2}

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Do you think this is what is happening?

I think their source of life is the same as ours, namely, the breath of life. I also think God works to ensure their life functions operate correctly.

I think it would be clearer to simply say that God is their source of life. This is what Ellen White wrote in saying that He is "the fountain of life."

Quote:
M: And, why do you think they can appear in the presence of God without being consumed to death?

T: Do they do this? (appear in God's presence)

M:According to you they do. In heaven, they willfully sinned in the presence of God without suffering or dying.

You don't believe these angels sinned in God's presence? I don't see how that's possible.

Quote:
Why do you think they were able to appear in the presence of God without being consumed to death?

I'm not understanding why you're asking this. I've not said this, right? So why do you think I think this?

Quote:
M: Finally, what does God do to prevent them from reaping the real results of sinning?

T: According to DA 764, if God left them to reap the full result of their sin, they would perish, so, clearly, God is not leaving them to this.

M:Yes, Tom, we both agree God works to prevent them from reaping the real results of sinning – suffering ending in second death. But that’s not what my question is addressing. My question assumes this is an undeniable fact. What I want to know is what you think God does to prevent it from happening now?

He doesn't leave them to this.

Quote:
How does He stop sin from killing them now? And, how does He prevent sin from killing them prematurely as they revisit their sins, one at a time, in judgment?

He doesn't permit them to reap the full result of their choice.

Quote:
“But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed.” Why didn’t this happen in heaven?

This didn't happen in heaven, did it?

Quote:
Also, why do you think the character of God didn’t kill the evil angels while they were, according to you, willfully sinning in heaven in the presence of God?

You disagree that the angels willfully sinned in heaven? If they didn't, how did they rebel?

Quote:
And, why doesn’t it kill them now? Why do you think it will kill them in judgment? If it hasn’t happened yet, why do you think it will in judgment?

I've answered this.

Quote:
Also, why do you think running and hiding from the physical presence of Jesus made it possible for them to abide in sin without experiencing second death?

I didn't say this.

Quote:
T: I quoted from DA 753. What I mean is, this is what I said (what DA 753 says). I've also quoted from DA chapter 1, which says that Jesus suffered the death that was ours. I don't think I've said something other than this.

M:You’re not addressing my point. I’m not talking about suffering; instead, I’m asking about death. I know you think the resurrected wicked will suffer in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did. But that’s not what I’m asking about. I’m asking – Do you think the resurrected wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did? If not, then is it safe to say we cannot learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Jesus laid down His life?

The inevitable result of sin is death. This resulted in Christ's "suffering the death that was ours" and suffering "the anguish the wicked will suffer when mercy no longer pleads for the guilty race. Regarding your question if we can learn what will kill the wicked by studying how and why Christ died, absolutely. That's what I've been saying. The SOP tells us that *all* truth can only be understood in the light of the cross. It's not a coincidence that the destruction of the wicked is discussed in the chapter "It Is Finished," which discusses what Christ's death accomplished. As explained, one of the things it accomplished is that God will be able to allow the wicked to experience the full result of their choice, which is death, without this being misunderstood as an arbitrary act of power on His part.

Quote:
“No man [shall] see me, and live.” So, you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are mere symbols.

I wouldn't say they are "mere symbols," but, given that the earth is God's footstool, His feet would have to be very large. Did you notice it said that Moses knew God "face to face"? Yet God didn't reveal His face to Moses, only His backside.

Quote:
Is that what you believe? In other words, you think voice, hand, back, and face symbolize an increasing revelation and comprehension of God’s character? Moses was able to survive the first three levels or degrees of God’s character without being consumed to death. If so, why do you think it says Moses survived face-to-face encounters with God?

This is hard to follow. Three levels or degrees of God's character? I don't know what this refers to. At any rate, I think what I wrote is clear.

Quote:
Also, you wrote, “We can't bear the glory (character) of God without a knowledge of Him.” Why do you think knowledge of God prevents the character of God from killing sinners?

I said, "We can't bear the glory (character) of God without a knowledge of Him." The reason I say this is because without a knowledge of God (i.e., as per John 17, not simply knowledge about God, but knowing God as Jesus speaks of in His prayer) we will misunderstand what is being revealed. Sin causes us to believe things about God which are not true.

Quote:
What is the difference between the two?

The two what?

Quote:
M: When Jesus returns the Bible says His brightness will cause the flesh of the wicked to consume away. Listen: “And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.”

T: Look at DA 108 to see what this means.

M:Oh good, the guessing game. Here we go: “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." Did I find it? If so, what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

We've been through this. The light of the glory of God is referring to God's character. This is made clear by the very next sentence, which speaks of Christ as the revealer of God's character. She speaks of how only the pure in heart could abide His presence.

Quote:
Did Ty say something to effect that Jesus dumb downed God’s character therefore it didn’t kill them? That is, did Jesus somehow filter out the elements of God’s character that kills sinners?

I'll repost the Ty post.

Quote:
T: I think they ran away from Christ because they were uncomfortable being around Him. DA 108 addresses this. I assume your questions are dealing with the judgment of the wicked. A number of things happens during that time. As God's character is manifest, the wicked become aware of their own ugliness of character, as well as their sin in its true bearing, as well as their guilt. A combination of these things brings them to the condition described in GC 543, which says their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, as well as DA 764, which speaks of their separating themselves from God. So there's a number of things to fit together. All the statements need to be considered together. Especially important is considering the cross, as all spiritual truth, to be properly understood, must be understood in the light of the cross. This is why I find the DA 764 passage especially helpful, since it explains the destruction of the wicked in the light of the cross.

I am talking about when Jesus was here in the flesh. Earlier on this thread you suggested the following: “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989)

M:So, you believe that Jesus somehow dumb downed the revelation of God’s character to avoid killing them.

This seems to me to be an odd way of looking at things.

Quote:
Will God do something similar during judgment to prevent resurrected sinners from dying prematurely?

I've answered this.

Quote:
You also believe a combination of comprehending God's character and experiencing the full force of their sin and guilt in judgment cause them to voluntarily refuse their place in heaven and to physically cut themselves off from their only source of life. For the sake of discussion, though, what do you think would happen if they chose not to refuse their place in heaven or cut themselves off from their only source of life?

I've quoted from the SOP regarding this. Ellen White wrote that "their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves." She also wrote that God is the fountain of life, and spoke of how the wicked cut themselves off from life. You write as if there were my ideas. You've also changed the words that she used into other words. Regarding your question, I'll quote from GC 542:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them.

It seems to me this answers your question.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121311
11/06/09 02:52 AM
11/06/09 02:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, here's the Ty post. The last couple of paragraphs in particular are what I was referring to.

Human perception of the divine character was first distorted in the hearts and minds of our original parents, Adam and Eve. The account given in Scripture is very enlightening.

Basically what happened was this: God’s archenemy, Satan, told Adam and Eve a two-pronged lie about God’s character. (1) God cannot be trusted (2) because He is totally self-serving and does not have your best interest at heart. Satan painted a new picture of God, and we became rebels by believing that dark portrait….

On the inner canvas of human imagination Satan painted God in his own ugly image, in the dark hues of dishonesty and selfishness. Because the temptation was woven out of a subtle misrepresentation of God’s character, the sin problem is far deeper than mere behavioral misconduct….

We now imagine our Maker to be someone He is not, and that distorted picture has deeply wounded our capacity to relate to God with love and trust…

Sin itself, by virture of what it is, has hidden God’s character from our hearts and minds. Because of sin, there are things we believe about God that are not true…

When, with sincere desire to know God, we allow our characters to be shaped by the light He gives, we place ourselves in a spiritual condition that makes further discernment of God’s character possible…Our perception of Him and our growing likeness to Him dovetail as one process….

If sin is cherished rather than given up in the light of God’s love, the light grows dim until darkness sets in. And when our eyes adjust to the darkness, we think we can see and end up believing that our darkness is the light…

In His wise providence, God has allowed the Scriptures to be composed in such a way that those who search its pages with an honest desire to know Him will see His true character shining through. Conversely, the same source of light is a snare of delusion to those who would rather fashion God in their own image in order to evade their personal need to be fashioned in His image.

The Bible is the story of God’s maintaining the vital harmony that must eist between justice and mercy as He endeavors to save fallen human beings. On the one hand, the righteousness of God’s character demands that He uphold the truth and justice of His eternal law. On the other hand, the mercy of His character causes Him to be equally desiours to save those who have rebelled against His law.

It may appear as though the Creator is in a dilemma of sorts. If He were to lay aside the just claims of His law in order to save sinners, sin would be excused and could never be conquered. Its influence would spread suffering and destruction thoughout the universe. If He were to uphold His law without extending mercy, on the other hand, not one fallen human could be saved. Because God loves sinners but at the same time hates sin, He must somehow maintain His justice while pouring forth His saving mercy.

Really God has no dilemma at all, for there is no conflict between the two dimensions of His character. No dichotomy exists between justice and mercy. They are both expressions of one harmonious character of love. Ultimately justice and mercy are so closely united that they are nearly indistinguishble. One does not cancel out the other. Both are eternal pirinciples that co-exist in the heart of God with perfect equilibrium.

Jesus came into our world to give the kiss of God, to wed justice and mercy together as one in human experience, to manifest the glory of God’s infinitely righeous and compassionate character. Of Him Scripture testifies:

“The Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory [character], the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:14).

Notice here that Jesus is described as the embodiment of the Father’s character, a character complete in two vital, balancing qualities: grace and truth (which is the same as saying, mercy and justice). Jesus came to our world clothed with the garb of our humanity (the owrd became flesh) so that we could encounter God’s character and survive the stunning ordeal. In Christ we see the perfect holiness of God’s character subdued to a tolerable level by virture of His incarnation in the familiar environment of our own human nature.

The grace of God seen in Christ makes it possible for the truth of His holiness to be assimilated into our human experience in healing rather than destructive doses. If God were to revel the pure, unveiled truth of His justice without simultaneously bathing that revelaiton in mercy, the natural sense of condemnation inherent in our sin would destroy us at the psychological and emotional leve. In Christ, justice is temptered by mercy so that the sinner may bear its flawless glory. But be warned: a persistent rejection of God’s mercy places the soul in conflict with the claims of justice. And in that conflict, the sinner loses. Those who fully and finally cast aside God’s grace will find themselves facing the raw energy of justice with no way of escape.

Page 50 of 105 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!