HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121643
11/17/09 09:32 AM
11/17/09 09:32 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I am somewhat confused by your posts.

Earlier you wrote (and I agree)

MM: "Actually, I believe sin the transgression of the law, and that the law encompasses our thoughts, feelings, motives, words, and deeds. Nothing is overlooked.

But in your last post it appears you are saying that only sins of commission are counted against people and they alone need Christ's atonement!

You wrote:
MM: Also, you might be interested to learn I do not believe "inbred sin" (sinful flesh) counts against us in judgment. It does not require atonement because it is not a commission of sin. Character, not nature, determines our eternal destiny in judgment.

Character involves far more than not committing outright sin. It encompases our thoughts, feelings, motives as well as our words and deeds.

It is on this bases that I say our best righteousness, our best obedience is still stained with thoughts and feelings and motives that aren't 100% pure and holy.

We never reach a point where we can present our own righteousness as perfect enough to stand before God. We are totally dependant upon Christ's righteousness. (That's not to say we shouldn't strive for holiness in Christ, God's followers need to reach a point where they would rather die than sin and bring dishonor to God)

But inbred sin, is still sin.

WE need to confess that as well and have it covered with Christ's atonement!

If it's not covered by Christ's atonement we can't stand before the awesome Holiness of God.

"God will be better glorified if we confess the secret, inbred corruption of the heart to Jesus....{FLB 128.4}

"We may have the peace which passeth understanding; but it will cost us battles with the powers of darkness, struggles severe against selfishness and inbred sin. {LHU 98.5}

There will be battles with the powers of darkness, severe struggles against selfishness and inbred sin. {BEcho, June 25, 1894 par. 5}

Last edited by dedication; 11/17/09 09:35 AM.
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121646
11/17/09 04:25 PM
11/17/09 04:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
ded, I mostly agree with what you wrote. In particular:

Quote:
We never reach a point where we can present our own righteousness as perfect enough to stand before God. We are totally dependent upon Christ's righteousness.

I think it would be very dangerous to stray from this attitude.

However, I question your comment regarding "inbred sin." Actually, I agree with what you wrote, but this would be with the understanding that "inbred sin" has to do with sins we actually commit, not our heredity. For example:

Quote:
"God will be better glorified if we confess the secret, inbred corruption of the heart to Jesus....{FLB 128.4}

it seems to me very clear this isn't dealing with our heredity.

The real question I have is, our heredity is completely beyond our choice. We can no more control our inherited characteristics in regards to our fallen flesh than any other characteristic we've inherited. What do we have to confess?

I'm assuming, in asking this question, that you are understanding "inbred sin" to mean our sinful, or fallen, flesh. But perhaps you have something else in mind, and, if so, we are probably in agreement regarding this point as well.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Tom] #121647
11/17/09 06:55 PM
11/17/09 06:55 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Christ's death was required even for sins done ignorantly.

When Lucifer sinned, God offered to pardon him without Christ's death.

As with the "new truths will be revealed in the Judgment" concept, I'm talking about people, not angels.

Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject.("Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b, page 3)

Do you take that to mean that if I commit a sin, not knowing it is a sin, there is no sin and I don't need Christ's atonement for it? If so, that would mean there is no such thing as a sin of ignorance, but merely ignorance. That would also mean that had God not shed any light upon us, we would all be sinless.

I don't think that quote is universally applicable. If it was, Jesus was pretty mean for telling the disciples to teach people, since the world could have been sinless ignoramuses instead.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Tom] #121648
11/17/09 07:00 PM
11/17/09 07:00 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Here's the "without a Mediator" statement:

Quote:
...Those who are living upon the earth when the intercession of Christ shall cease in the sanctuary above are to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator....(GC 425)

This is before corruption puts on incorruption.

What makes you so sure? Your quote does not mention the corruption->incorruption transformation. Are you sure that we can "stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator" while still being corrupt, and survive?

I lean more toward the idea that our corruption, especially the inbred corruption of the heart, will have to be done away with first.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: asygo] #121651
11/17/09 10:18 PM
11/17/09 10:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
T:Here's the "without a Mediator" statement:

"Those who are living upon the earth when the intercession of Christ shall cease in the sanctuary above are to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator"(GC 425)

T:This is before corruption puts on incorruption.

a:What makes you so sure?

Because Christ hasn't come yet. Corruption puts in incorruption is referring to the time Christ comes, which is when the righteous receive new bodies.

Quote:
Your quote does not mention the corruption->incorruption transformation.

I said that. I was making the point that the 144,000 will stand before God without a Mediator before Christ comes, while still in sinful flesh. Therefore it cannot be sinful flesh which is being referred to in the 1SM quote (that speaks of the prayers of the saints needing to be cleansed because of the corruption of those praying), since Christ has finished His work of intercession.

Quote:
Are you sure that we can "stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator" while still being corrupt, and survive?

The phrase "corruption puts on incorruption" is referring to the flesh; that is, to the receiving of a resurrection body. Saying "while still being corrupt" is a terribly misleading way to express this thought, IMO. From the paragraph quoted we read:

Quote:
Those who are living upon the earth when the intercession of Christ shall cease in the sanctuary above are to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator. Their robes must be spotless, their characters must be purified from sin by the blood of sprinkling. Through the grace of God and their own diligent effort they must be conquerors in the battle with evil. While the investigative judgment is going forward in heaven, while the sins of penitent believers are being removed from the sanctuary, there is to be a special work of purification, of putting away of sin, among God's people upon earth.

This speaks of sin being put of work, of a special work of purification. It is sin which pollutes. In order to stand before God without a mediator, it is necessary that sin be put away. But the 144,000 will still have sinful flesh. When Christ ceases His mediatorial work, until He comes to the earth, is not instantaneous.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121662
11/19/09 05:25 PM
11/19/09 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
MM, I am somewhat confused by your posts. Earlier you wrote (and I agree), "Actually, I believe that sin is the transgression of the law, and that the law encompasses our thoughts, feelings, motives, words, and deeds. Nothing is overlooked."

But in your last post it appears you are saying that only sins of commission are counted against people and they alone need Christ's atonement! You wrote: “Also, you might be interested to learn I do not believe 'inbred sin' (sinful flesh) counts against us in judgment. It does not require atonement because it is not a commission of sin. Character, not nature, determines our eternal destiny in judgment."

Character involves far more than not committing outright sin. It encompasses our thoughts, feelings, motives as well as our words and deeds. It is on this basis that I say our best righteousness, our best obedience is still stained with thoughts and feelings and motives that aren't 100% pure and holy.

We never reach a point where we can present our own righteousness as perfect enough to stand before God. We are totally dependant upon Christ's righteousness. (That's not to say we shouldn't strive for holiness in Christ, God's followers need to reach a point where they would rather die than sin and bring dishonor to God)

But inbred sin, is still sin. WE need to confess that as well and have it covered with Christ's atonement! If it's not covered by Christ's atonement we can't stand before the awesome Holiness of God. "God will be better glorified if we confess the secret, inbred corruption of the heart to Jesus....{FLB 128.4}

"We may have the peace which passeth understanding; but it will cost us battles with the powers of darkness, struggles severe against selfishness and inbred sin. {LHU 98.5} “There will be battles with the powers of darkness, severe struggles against selfishness and inbred sin. {BEcho, June 25, 1894 par. 5}

I believe character is the result of repetitious thoughts, feelings, motives, words, and deeds. We must consciously, repetitiously dwell on or act on them to cultivate corresponding traits of character. The law looks at the results (character) not at the temptations to indulge sinful thoughts, feelings, motives, words, and deeds, to be unlike Jesus.

Being tempted from within to be unlike Jesus, to indulge unholy thoughts, feelings, motives, words, and deeds is not a sin. All temptations begin as unholy thoughts and feelings. It is never a sin to be tempted. It doesn’t matter if it originates within (sinful flesh) or without (evil angels), it is not a sin to be tempted. We are counted guilty of sinning if and when we indulge temptation. Having sinful flesh nature is not the same thing as sinning.

Also, I agree with Tom. “I don't think ‘righteousness and true holiness’ is ever stained with sin. These are antonyms.” The righteous results of combining humanity and divinity is “holy and without blame”, “without spot, and blameless”. Of course, this is not to say they aren’t ignorantly sinning. They may very well be. For example, born-again believers might keep Sunday holy, and buy and sell and work on the Sabbath not knowing they are breaking the law. But this does not mean the “righteousness and true holiness” they do experience is stained with sin.

You wrote, "Character involves far more than not committing outright sin. It encompasses our thoughts, feelings, motives as well as our words and deeds." Again, I believe sinful, cultivated traits of character are the result of repetitious choices. Each trait is the result of consciously choosing to indulge corresponding thoughts, feelings, motives, words, and actions. Indulging unholy thoughts and feelings and their resulting traits of character is outright sinning the same as indulging unholy words and actions. Do you agree?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121663
11/19/09 05:37 PM
11/19/09 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, do you believe people are guilty of sinning because they have sinful flesh natures that tempt them from within to be unlike Jesus?

And, do you believe the 144,000 will receive sinless flesh natures when they are numbered and sealed, and that this accounts for why they can stand before God without a mediator?

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: Mountain Man] #121681
11/20/09 06:35 AM
11/20/09 06:35 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
Indulging unholy thoughts and feelings and their resulting traits of character is outright sinning the same as indulging unholy words and actions. Do you agree?

Yes, I agree.
However, feelings and motives can't just be dismissed as easily as all that.

Jesus actually sought those who knew they were imperfect, those cast out by others who thought themselves perfect. Those who felt they were no longer sinners felt no need for Jesus' ministry. They were following precise habits and well disciplined, repetitious choices, that made them seem quite holy in the people's eyes as well as in their own self estimation.

I fully believe we should humbly walk with Christ in obedience, hour by hour, day by day, at all times, growing in grace and character. It's this thinking that our doings are perfectly sinless that I have problems with.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121683
11/20/09 06:48 AM
11/20/09 06:48 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The real question I have is, our heredity is completely beyond our choice. We can no more control our inherited characteristics in regards to our fallen flesh than any other characteristic we've inherited. What do we have to confess?

I'm assuming, in asking this question, that you are understanding "inbred sin" to mean our sinful, or fallen, flesh. But perhaps you have something else in mind, and, if so, we are probably in agreement regarding this point as well.

I understand inbred sin to be more than "fallen flesh" .
Everyone is born with "fallen flesh" that's what Adam gave us all. But consider that by the time a child is five (or so) they have already developed these propensities into established habits.

By the time a child reaches the age of accountablity all these inbred sins are his -- established and flourishing -- pounded into his character with great repitition.
Seems there is plenty to confess.

Re: Does the Bible envision converted Christians committing sins of ignorance? [Re: dedication] #121692
11/20/09 05:15 PM
11/20/09 05:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Dedication
However, feelings and motives can't just be dismissed as easily as all that.

True, we must labor, agonize, wrestle, and strive to stay connected to Christ so that we can continue to grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit. There is nothing easy about subjecting our internal foes, our inherited tendencies to wrong, to a sanctified will and mind.

Quote:
I fully believe we should humbly walk with Christ in obedience, hour by hour, day by day, at all times, growing in grace and character.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying. Seems like you're saying everything they think, say, and do is stained with sin. If so, how can you refer to it as humbly walking with Jesus in obedience?

Quote:
It's this thinking that our doings are perfectly sinless that I have problems with.

Why do you have a problem with believing the righteous results of divinity and humanity combined are perfectly sinless? I agree with you people who are in such a state are the last to know it, but it doesn't mean they are unholy or imperfect. Like Jesus, they are pure. "And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." Like Jesus, they are righteous. "He that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous." In light of what John said, I don't see how you can say, "They are not pure like Jesus. They are not righteous like Jesus." Do you see what I mean?

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!