HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 63 of 105 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122091
12/08/09 12:27 AM
12/08/09 12:27 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Arnold:I agree with the idea that sin, at least from the sinner's perspective, is not primarily a legal problem, but a problem with the sinner being damaged.

You write "at least from the sinner's perspective." If this means that it's only from the sinner's perspective, but not from God's, then this means that it's not really true that sin is primarily a problem with the sinner being damaged, since it is God's perspective that corresponds to reality.

Certainly, God's perspective takes it into account. But God's perspective is not limited to it.

For example, let's consider Christ's perspective as He hung on the cross. I don't think He way saying, "My problem is that I am damaged to the point of being incompatible with God." Every sinner must confess that, but not Jesus.

Quote:
I agree with the idea that God set up the universe such that sin and death come as a package.

I don't think this is a Maxwell idea. I think his idea is that sin leads to death because of what it is by nature. In any universe, sin would lead to death. It's not because God set things up in some special way.

I still believe that Maxwell said that God *could* have set up the universe such that sinners live while being quarantined from everyone else, but He chose not to.

Quote:
I agree that God is our friend.

Good! God is also the friend of the wicked. This is something that Maxwell emphasizes. He says, "You know, even God’s enemies have no need to be afraid of Him."

I agree with that also.

Even when dealing with His enemies, God always does what is best. And in the case of the wicked, death is best. But given that they are wicked enemies of God, they will not submit willingly to God's will and wisdom.

BTW, I work in hospice, so it is very easy for me to understand how death can be the best option under certain circumstances. And it is usually the case that the decision to initiate actions that will inevitably result in the patient's death is made by one who loves the patient dearly.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122112
12/08/09 07:40 PM
12/08/09 07:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:I agree with the idea that sin, at least from the sinner's perspective, is not primarily a legal problem, but a problem with the sinner being damaged.

T:You write "at least from the sinner's perspective." If this means that it's only from the sinner's perspective, but not from God's, then this means that it's not really true that sin is primarily a problem with the sinner being damaged, since it is God's perspective that corresponds to reality.

A:Certainly, God's perspective takes it into account. But God's perspective is not limited to it.

For example, let's consider Christ's perspective as He hung on the cross. I don't think He way saying, "My problem is that I am damaged to the point of being incompatible with God." Every sinner must confess that, but not Jesus.

I didn't follow your train of thought here. Maxwell argues that the problem of sin was not a legal one, but an actual one. ("actual" is my choice of words; I'm not sure what Maxwell's choice is, but the idea is that it's a cause and effect thing). I agree with his perspective regarding this question. I think his views on the atonement and the judgment follow from this premise.

Quote:
A:I agree with the idea that God set up the universe such that sin and death come as a package.

T:I don't think this is a Maxwell idea. I think his idea is that sin leads to death because of what it is by nature. In any universe, sin would lead to death. It's not because God set things up in some special way.

A:I still believe that Maxwell said that God *could* have set up the universe such that sinners live while being quarantined from everyone else, but He chose not to.

Sure God could do this, but it doesn't follow from this idea that God set things up so that sin and death come as a package. Sin naturally results in death. God allows this to happen. God didn't do something special to cause this to be the case. There wasn't any special set up involved, but sin, because of what it is in essence, leads to death. This is my understanding of Maxwell's thoughts on this question.

Quote:
A:I agree that God is our friend.

T:Good! God is also the friend of the wicked. This is something that Maxwell emphasizes. He says, "You know, even God’s enemies have no need to be afraid of Him."

A:I agree with that also.

Glad to hear this. Certainly anyone would be afraid of God if one believed God would set one of fire for hours or days at time, which is a reason I don't perceive this idea to be possible. I very much like the idea that even God's enemies have nothing to fear from Him, an idea I never thought of until hearing it from Maxwell.

Quote:
Even when dealing with His enemies, God always does what is best. And in the case of the wicked, death is best.

Agreed.

Quote:
But given that they are wicked enemies of God, they will not submit willingly to God's will and wisdom.

GC 543 says that their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves.

Quote:
BTW, I work in hospice, so it is very easy for me to understand how death can be the best option under certain circumstances. And it is usually the case that the decision to initiate actions that will inevitably result in the patient's death is made by one who loves the patient dearly.

In the case of the lost, it is they who have initiated these decisions, as DA 764 makes clear.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122146
12/10/09 08:57 PM
12/10/09 08:57 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

In the case of the lost, it is they who have initiated these decisions, as DA 764 makes clear.

So also in hospice, the patient often initiates his dying condition through unhealthy habits, etc. Sometimes, the patient is the one who signs himself up for hospice. That's what you are talking about, and you keep referring to DA 764.

But that is not what I'm talking about. There often comes a point in the patient's life, as he nears death, that he becomes incapable of making decisions for himself. Yes, he might have made the decision to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Yes, he might have made the decision to sign up for hospice. He might even have made a decision about what should be done when he becomes incapable of making decisions (Advance Directives) and who should implement those decisions (Power Of Attorney).

In cases where we "pull the plug" (whether literally or figuratively), the POA is the one who initiates the actions that directly lead to the patient's death. While the patient made the decisions that end in death, the POA participates. That's what I'm talking about.

Satan's death cannot be immediately attributable to suicide. Yes, his irrevocable decision to war against the Source of Life made death inevitable, and therefore, it could be said that he killed himself. However, while suffering for many days in the Judgment, he obviously is not killing himself. Otherwise, he would be pretty dumb for not killing himself sooner.

This is one point of difference that has contributed to the length of this and other threads. While nobody disputes the former reason for death (the sinner causes death to himself), there are some here, like you, who do not acknowledge the latter (someone else participates in implementing death). Just look at the quote above, where I was talking about the latter and you switched to the former. If you ever find yourself in a situation where, in order to minimize suffering, you must perform certain actions so that the decisions made by a loved one can be carried out to their ultimate conclusion, though the choices may be painful to you, you will know what I'm talking about. God knows what I'm talking about. In the Judgment, He will be making many such choices.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122153
12/11/09 03:33 AM
12/11/09 03:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
However, while suffering for many days in the Judgment, he obviously is not killing himself. Otherwise, he would be pretty dumb for not killing himself sooner.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. How would Satan kill himself sooner? Why would he want to do so?

I had trouble following your post. You talked about me switching meanings, but I was just, from my point of view, trying to explain how I understand things. I see that there is a direct connection between sin and the suffering and death that comes after the lost are resurrected. It seems to me that this is what DA 764 is saying. DA 764 is arguing against the idea that God imposes death upon Satan or his followers, but that this death follows are the inevitable result of their choice. God could not permit this result to occur immediately because had He done so, it would have appeared to have been something He was imposing upon them. So God had to permit Christ to suffer this death, so that it could be seen what it's really like. Christ's suffering on the cross were not imposed upon Him by God, but were the results of His becoming sin for us. In so doing, He demonstrated the death which is the inevitable result of sin, so that when God permits this to happen after the second resurrection, there will be no understanding that God is no imposing something upon the lost.

GC 541-543 also discusses this. It points out that if God allowed the lost to continue to live in heaven, it would be torture for them. This is a reason I find the idea that God will set people on fire to make them suffer nonsensical. If it were God's intention to torture people, He could simply make them live in heaven for however long He desired they suffer. There's no reason to set them on fire.

Anyway, this section of GC points out that the lost have nothing in them that responds to selflessness, and they have no desire to live in a setting where such is the way of life. God does nothing to them against their will. This is why A. G. Maxwell could correctly assert that even God's enemies have nothing to fear from God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122156
12/11/09 04:36 AM
12/11/09 04:36 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
However, while suffering for many days in the Judgment, he obviously is not killing himself. Otherwise, he would be pretty dumb for not killing himself sooner.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. How would Satan kill himself sooner? Why would he want to do so?

One reason why this topic has gone on for so long is that you and I don't understand each other. Let me try to clarify. When Satan eventually dies, is it because he killed himself? Or will he be killed by someone/something else?

This is similar to the "_______ itself causes death" issue. I had no idea it would take so much effort to get an answer. I'll have to find that somewhere around here.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122163
12/11/09 11:24 AM
12/11/09 11:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You were talking about switching things. I wrote "sin 'itself' does not cause death." The "itself" was in quotes, for a specific purpose, which was carefully explained. You appeared to me be be taking this as saying something I wasn't intending to say to make a point I wasn't making. That's why I didn't want to respond to the "_____ itself causes death" question, because that's not what I was saying.

Regarding topics going on for awhile, they go on when people have things they feel like talking about. I usually respond if someone says something. MM does the same, so threads in which we are both involved tend to go on a long time, regardless of whether there's misunderstanding involved or not.

When Satan eventually dies, it will be because God permits him to reap the full result of his sin. This is what DA 764 says. The inevitable result of sin is death. So Satan killed himself by choosing sin. Sin is based on the principle of selfishness, which is not able to do anything other than cause misery, suffering and death. He is not killed by someone/something else, which looks to me to be the point of DA 764, which I explained in the previous post.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122164
12/11/09 11:33 AM
12/11/09 11:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding an analogy to things like this, it's difficult to come up with one which stands on all fours, so to speak, but here's one I've used which I think at least communicates the general idea. Say that sin is represented by poisonous gas, and God supernaturally, unknown to each one, provides a filter which makes it so the poisonous gas does not immediately cause death, as, if God did not do this, it would appear that God was killing those who had in reality poisoned the air they breathe. In the judgment, God removes the filter. What causes their death? Is it God's removing the filter? One could certainly look at it this way, but this hides the true dynamic of what's going on. The real problem is the poison.

Similarly, often inspiration speaks of God's causing the destruction of the wicked. The SOP speaks of it in terms of the wicked's not being able to bear the glory of God, which is His character. One could look at this as God's causing their death. But God's glory, His character, is simply agape, love. There's no reason why love should kill anyone, any more than that breathing should. It's only because of what those who have rebelled against God have themselves done that the glory of Him who is love (or breathing, in the analogy) results in their death.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122169
12/11/09 10:01 PM
12/11/09 10:01 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
So Satan killed himself by choosing sin. ... He is not killed by someone/something else, which looks to me to be the point of DA 764, which I explained in the previous post.

OK, so Satan kills himself during the Judgment.

How would Satan kill himself sooner? Why would he want to do so?

I don't know, in your paradigm, how Satan could kill himself sooner, since I don't know exactly how Satan kills himself in the end. But whatever it is that he does that serves as the IMMEDIATE cause of his death, he would want to do it sooner rather than later.

Why would he want to do that? Because if he's going to kill himself anyway, he would want to do it before suffering unimaginable mental anguish. Why suffer first and then die, when you can die first and skip the suffering?

Or is he not allowed to do that? Is he going to be forced to review his sins and go through the inevitable mental anguish?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122170
12/11/09 10:05 PM
12/11/09 10:05 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
In the judgment, God removes the filter. What causes their death? Is it God's removing the filter? One could certainly look at it this way, but this hides the true dynamic of what's going on. The real problem is the poison.

I agree with your desire to expose the truth that sin kills. That should not be hidden.

However, I disagree with your attempt to hide the fact that God is most definitely involved in orchestrating the Judgment. I prefer to expose everything. Coincidentally, isn't that what will happen in the Judgment?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122186
12/13/09 09:15 PM
12/13/09 09:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:So Satan killed himself by choosing sin. ... He is not killed by someone/something else, which looks to me to be the point of DA 764, which I explained in the previous post.

A:OK, so Satan kills himself during the Judgment.

No. Did you read what I wrote about the air being poisoned as an analogy?

Quote:
T:How would Satan kill himself sooner? Why would he want to do so?

A:I don't know, in your paradigm, how Satan could kill himself sooner, since I don't know exactly how Satan kills himself in the end.

As I've explained, DA 764 speaks of how had God allowed Satan and his followers to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished, as death "is the inevitable result of sin." I don't know how your question fits into this paradigm. It doesn't seem to me that it does.

Quote:
A:But whatever it is that he does that serves as the IMMEDIATE cause of his death, he would want to do it sooner rather than later.

It seems that Satan wants to live as long as possible.

Quote:
A:Why would he want to do that? Because if he's going to kill himself anyway, he would want to do it before suffering unimaginable mental anguish. Why suffer first and then die, when you can die first and skip the suffering?

Many prefer to live, even if it involves suffering, than to die. Satan certainly seems like he would follow in this category. Actually, it's inevitable that one suffers if one sins, so Satan has experience suffering since he first sinned.

Quote:
Or is he not allowed to do that?

I'm sure if Satan told God He didn't want to live anymore, God wouldn't force him to live.

Quote:
Is he going to be forced to review his sins and go through the inevitable mental anguish?

As force isn't a part of God's government, no, I don't believe God forces Satan.

Page 63 of 105 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!