HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 69 of 105 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122507
12/30/09 05:37 PM
12/30/09 05:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Another gap I see in Tom's theory is his unwillingness to explain why Jesus commanded people to execute sinners.

1.This doesn't have to do with this thread.
2.I've discussed this at great length with you in the past.
3.I've given you suggestions on how to pursue the study of this subject, which you've completely ignored. You just want to go about it the way you want to, with no regard for my desires or suggestions. I went along with what you wanted for months and months, and dozens and dozens of posts.

Quote:
It is also difficult to link his thoughts concerning the "inevitable result of sin" and the "light of the glory of God".

That death is the inevitable result of sin is explained in DA 764. The explanation there seems very clear to me. I don't see the difficulty here. Saying that Y is the inevitable of X should be an easy principle to grasp.

Regarding the "light of the glory of God," I explained that "light" = "revelation" and "glory of God" = "God's character." The idea that the glory of God is His character I got from Ellen White. That "light" = "revelation" I got from pondering the phrase, and the fact that she says that the light of the glory of God gives life to the righteous. I thought about how that could happen, and came to the conclusion I did.

What convinced me the interpretation was correct was the very next sentence, which speaks of Christ as "the revealer of the God's character."

Quote:
He is content to conclude sinners will suffer and die according to their sinfulness when God withdraws His protection. What is not clear is how sees the "light of the glory of God" fitting in. He is careful to say comprehending the character of God during judgment is not what causes them to suffer and die.

It depends upon how you put things. You seem to me to put things in such a way that has God acting arbitrarily, and that makes sin to be innocuous. It is this that I've reacted against.

I gave as an analogy the idea that the air is poisonous, and God provides a gas mask. A person takes off the gas mask and dies. What caused the person's death? One could say that breathing did, or one could say that the poison did. I'm saying it's the poison. In this analogy, what's analogous to the poison? Sin.

The problem is sin, not God's character. The revelation of God's character is only a problem for the wicked because of sin. There is nothing inherently destructive about God's character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122513
12/31/09 04:04 AM
12/31/09 04:04 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I gave as an analogy the idea that the air is poisonous, and God provides a gas mask. A person takes off the gas mask and dies. What caused the person's death? One could say that breathing did, or one could say that the poison did. I'm saying it's the poison. In this analogy, what's analogous to the poison? Sin.

In this analogy, what's analogous to the one who takes off the mask? I say, God. I think MM and GC will agree. Do you agree?

The problem is sin, not God's character. The revelation of God's character is only a problem for the wicked because of sin. There is nothing inherently destructive about God's character.

Yes, the problem is sin. The solution is to eradicate it.

God's character is the agent that eradicates sin. Hence, those who cling to sin, despite God's love, will be eradicated along with it. So, the wicked have a problem with God's character, a fatal problem. In contrast, God's character gives life to the holy.

But something that I disagree with is the idea that sin eradicates itself, and therefore, solves itself. If that was the case, then sin could have been solved by God leaving sin to eradicate itself.

I'm pretty sure that everyone will agree that such a solution is not optimal, since it offers no hope to the sinner. But while some may agree that sin eradicates itself, I believe that sin can only be eradicated by God's active participation.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: asygo] #122515
12/31/09 04:55 AM
12/31/09 04:55 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Asygo
I believe that sin can only be eradicated by God's active participation.

Amen! That sin results in death due to the presence of God in judgment is a major reason why sinners suffer and die.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122520
12/31/09 08:16 AM
12/31/09 08:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
To Arnold and Mike in the last two posts...I heartily agree with both of you. Do we have enough of a quorum yet? wink

The fact is, the Bible teaches that God IS a fire. The Bible also says that the righteous will walk in this fire and not be burned. It further says that the ungodly will be burned/consumed in this Fire. The Bible further teaches that this Fire is eternal. God is the only Being said to "inhabit eternity." This is why many have understood, incorrectly, that hell will last forever. Hell will not. The Fire will.

It is, therefore, upon a multitude of scriptures (which I have earlier posted somewhere, but can repost if need be) that I base my firm belief that God Himself will commit the final act of justice in cleansing the Universe of sin--by the fire of His own Eternal Presence. In fact, God will but reveal Himself, that all may behold His glory. The righteous, having already been purified and refined, free of all sin, will be able to stand in the judgment. The ungodly, however, will be consumed until they no longer exist, each one paying the penalty for his own sins.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #122539
01/02/10 02:06 AM
01/02/10 02:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
T:I gave as an analogy the idea that the air is poisonous, and God provides a gas mask. A person takes off the gas mask and dies. What caused the person's death? One could say that breathing did, or one could say that the poison did. I'm saying it's the poison. In this analogy, what's analogous to the poison? Sin.

A:In this analogy, what's analogous to the one who takes off the mask? I say, God. I think MM and GC will agree. Do you agree?

It seems clear to me that DA 764 is making the point, as clearly as possible (by repeating it some 9 or 10 times) that it is not God, but those who reject God, who do this. For example:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.

Quote:
T:The problem is sin, not God's character. The revelation of God's character is only a problem for the wicked because of sin. There is nothing inherently destructive about God's character.

A:Yes, the problem is sin. The solution is to eradicate it.

God's character is the agent that eradicates sin.

I agree with this, in that it is the truth regarding God's character, or, in other word, the light of the glory of God, which decides the Great Controversy.

Quote:
"Who shall not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for Thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before Thee; for Thy judgments are made manifest." Verse 4.(Rev. 15) Every question of truth and error in the long-standing controversy has now been made plain. The results of rebellion, the fruits of setting aside the divine statutes, have been laid open to the view of all created intelligences. The working out of Satan's rule in contrast with the government of God has been presented to the whole universe. Satan's own works have condemned him. God's wisdom, His justice, and His goodness stand fully vindicated. It is seen that all His dealings in the great controversy have been conducted with respect to the eternal good of His people and the good of all the worlds that He has created. (GC 670)

This has always been what's needed to happen. This is what God has been fighting for from the beginning. He can't speed it up to make it happen sooner, because it's dependent upon the revelation and acceptance of truth.

Quote:
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." Isa. 40:9,10.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.(COL 415)

Before the truth can be laid out before the entire universe, which includes the wicked in the second resurrection, it must be laid out here.

Quote:
Hence, those who cling to sin, despite God's love, will be eradicated along with it. So, the wicked have a problem with God's character, a fatal problem. In contrast, God's character gives life to the holy.

But something that I disagree with is the idea that sin eradicates itself, and therefore, solves itself. If that was the case, then sin could have been solved by God leaving sin to eradicate itself.

One could say that sin eradicates itself like a parasite kills its host. Is this what you had in mind? (that is, is this what you are disagreeing with)

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that everyone will agree that such a solution is not optimal, since it offers no hope to the sinner. But while some may agree that sin eradicates itself, I believe that sin can only be eradicated by God's active participation.

I don't know what this means. If you're saying God has to set people on fire to get rid of sin, I certainly disagree with that. The above quote, "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." doesn't seem to indicate the necessity of active participation on the part of God, if setting people on fire is what you have in mind here. Indeed, the whole section of DA 764 looks to be explicitly arguing against this idea.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122540
01/02/10 02:08 AM
01/02/10 02:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
a:I believe that sin can only be eradicated by God's active participation.

MM:Amen! That sin results in death due to the presence of God in judgment is a major reason why sinners suffer and die.

So sin wouldn't result in death if God just left the wicked alone? Sin isn't deadly? God has to take an external action to get rid of it (by killing those who do it)?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122541
01/02/10 02:16 AM
01/02/10 02:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The fact is, the Bible teaches that God IS a fire.

This is true. He's not a literal fire, however.

Quote:
14The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

15He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly

Sin ruins a person's character, so they cannot abide in God's presence.

Quote:
The Bible also says that the righteous will walk in this fire and not be burned.

Right!

Quote:
It further says that the ungodly will be burned/consumed in this Fire.

Yes!

Quote:
The Bible further teaches that this Fire is eternal. God is the only Being said to "inhabit eternity." This is why many have understood, incorrectly, that hell will last forever. Hell will not. The Fire will.

Agreed. This also agrees with the following:

Quote:
God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

The lost die because they have ruined their character by choosing sin over the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
It is, therefore, upon a multitude of scriptures (which I have earlier posted somewhere, but can repost if need be) that I base my firm belief that God Himself will commit the final act of justice in cleansing the Universe of sin--by the fire of His own Eternal Presence.

Since God is the eternal fire, which is agape, this just means that God will be Himself. Again, from DA 764:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.

God has had to act to prevent Satan and his followers to perish as a result of their choices. They cannot abide with the everlasting burnings. Had God not taken this action, to restrain the results of their choice, it would have appeared that their death was due to a direct action on God's part to destroy them, as opposed to being the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
In fact, God will but reveal Himself, that all may behold His glory. The righteous, having already been purified and refined, free of all sin, will be able to stand in the judgment. The ungodly, however, will be consumed until they no longer exist, each one paying the penalty for his own sins.

I agree with this, seeing this as being a natural consequence of the choices of the wicked, as opposed to an arbitrary or externally imposed action on the part of God, which seems to me to be precisely what DA 764 is arguing.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122542
01/02/10 04:31 AM
01/02/10 04:31 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
a:I believe that sin can only be eradicated by God's active participation.

MM:Amen! That sin results in death due to the presence of God in judgment is a major reason why sinners suffer and die.

So sin wouldn't result in death if God just left the wicked alone? Sin isn't deadly? God has to take an external action to get rid of it (by killing those who do it)?

Sin isn't deadly on its own. God is the agent who will cause the eternal death of the sinners. This is proven by the actions that God was required to take against Adam and Eve, in forcing them to depart from the Garden of Eden, so as not to partake of the Tree of Life and become immortal sinners.

The very fact that the possibility of an immortal sinner existed is proof that sin itself is not deadly.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122543
01/02/10 04:34 AM
01/02/10 04:34 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Quote:
The fact is, the Bible teaches that God IS a fire.

This is true. He's not a literal fire, however.

This appears to be the only part of my earlier post you disagreed with...is that correct?

I guess I would answer your statement with a question:

Can we also say that God is love, but not literal love?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122551
01/02/10 06:07 PM
01/02/10 06:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: One could say that sin eradicates itself like a parasite kills its host.

A: I believe that sin can only be eradicated by God's active participation.

M: Amen! That sin results in death due to the presence of God in judgment is a major reason why sinners suffer and die.

T: So sin wouldn't result in death if God just left the wicked alone? Sin isn't deadly? God has to take an external action to get rid of it (by killing those who do it)?

Punishment is necessary. Otherwise, the first death would suffice. True, sinning can cause negative consequences. But such consequences are more like discipline and less like punishment. In addition to experiencing negative consequences punishment is also required. It's not enough to feel rotten because you committed adultery and had the husband killed in combat.

So, no, sin doesn't naturally, automatically kill sinners like drinking a lethal dose of arsenic causes people to die. God had to deny sinners access to the tree of life "lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever". There is more to sinning than merely suffering and dying because you cannot access the tree of life. Punishment is also required.

Also, since it is the light of the glory of God that, like a fire, consumes sinners with their sins, God must, obviously, be physically present at judgment. God does not set them on fire per se; instead, they consume away like Nadab and Abihu. The radiant firelight of God's person and presence is permitted to consume them according to their sinfulness. Sin is the fuel, God is the fire, sinners are the stove.

"And any deviation from the express directions of God in connection with His holy service was punishable with death. {Con 80.1} "Nadab and Abihu were slain by the fire of God's wrath for their intemperance in the use of wine. {2SM 412.4} "Fire from his presence destroyed them in their sin. {4aSG 125.1} "For this sin a fire went out from the Lord and devoured them in the sight of the people. {PP 359.2} "God consumed them by fire for their positive disregard of His express directions. {Con 81.1}

Page 69 of 105 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!